HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Prospect Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
He's not even close to be terrible. Reilly did a good job once when he broke up 2 on 1 rush while Jones was wandering in the neutral zone. And I'm not the only one who noticed that:

USA ties the game BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
What game are you watching? Reilly hasn't played better than his pairmate Seth Jones, but he's arguably played right with him. His defense is alot better than people have been saying.
Notice when I posted that. Reilly rebounded slightly (still a lot of fumbled passes) and Jones looked awful to finish the game.

And OT: But Yakupov looked really really bad. Seemed incapable of playing a team game. Maybe Howson was on to something when he said he wouldn't draft him.

Last edited by Samkow: 12-28-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 03:08 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
And OT: But Yakupov looked really really bad. Seemed incapable of playing a team game. Maybe Howson was on to something when he said he wouldn't draft him.
Yakupov with 9 WJC games.. no goals. Just saying.

He tends to be little puckhog at times. That face first block shot was awesome though.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:59 PM
slightlystewpid420

I can only imagine what Murray would be doing if he wasn't hurt right now. I still can't believe how many people don't rank him near as high as he should.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
I can only imagine what Murray would be doing if he wasn't hurt right now. I still can't believe how many people don't rank him near as high as he should.
That's their issue. With younger players, there's a tendency to be drawn to "NHL-caliber this or that", and rank accordingly. Someone who has an NHL-caliber wrist shot at 17, 18, or 19 has his faults glossed over because there's something obvious and tangible to focus on. Someone who doesn't have anything tangible and NHL-caliber will almost always be underrated substantially.

It's only with time that the important parts come to the forefront. A young player can add strength, he can add bulk, and he can improve all the little things. But the innate ability to read and react can't be taught. Everyone says Murray has that in spades.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:02 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
That's their issue. With younger players, there's a tendency to be drawn to "NHL-caliber this or that", and rank accordingly. Someone who has an NHL-caliber wrist shot at 17, 18, or 19 has his faults glossed over because there's something obvious and tangible to focus on. Someone who doesn't have anything tangible and NHL-caliber will almost always be underrated substantially.

It's only with time that the important parts come to the forefront. A young player can add strength, he can add bulk, and he can improve all the little things. But the innate ability to read and react can't be taught. Everyone says Murray has that in spades.
Thats why I dont get it all these top prospect lists and Murray isnt even in most of everyones top 10. His upside is that of a Nicklas Lidstrom. I dont know about everyone else, but I would a take that over just about anybody in the game today. Thats a cornerstone to a dynasty. You can get other pieces through trades and picks, but franchise Dmen of that caliber dont come along very often. I guess we'll just have to wait and let time tell.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Those of us who have seen Ryan Murray play on a regular basis know why he will be a great player, and time will prove that. People who said things like "Griffin Reinhart is better, he has more tools" will eventually see that it isn't about the tools, it's about how they are put to use. Ryan Murray will not only make the team next time there is NHL hockey, but will be a standout player almost immediately.

The New York Islanders didn't offer us seven draft picks to move up two spots and select Griffin Reinhart, I can say that without question.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Thats why I dont get it all these top prospect lists and Murray isnt even in most of everyones top 10. His upside is that of a Nicklas Lidstrom. I dont know about everyone else, but I would a take that over just about anybody in the game today. Thats a cornerstone to a dynasty. You can get other pieces through trades and picks, but franchise Dmen of that caliber dont come along very often. I guess we'll just have to wait and let time tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Those of us who have seen Ryan Murray play on a regular basis know why he will be a great player, and time will prove that. People who said things like "Griffin Reinhart is better, he has more tools" will eventually see that it isn't about the tools, it's about how they are put to use. Ryan Murray will not only make the team next time there is NHL hockey, but will be a standout player almost immediately.

The New York Islanders didn't offer us seven draft picks to move up two spots and select Griffin Reinhart, I can say that without question.
I figure out of all fan bases, we should be the ones who have most clearly seen that it's not at all about the physical tools in terms of who becomes a star...or a third-liner...or an NHLer at all.

I'm still waiting for Kiel McLeod to become an AHL-caliber player like his physical tools would dictate. And if not him, then Gilbert Brule. And if not him, then damn near anyone drafted between 2000-06.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:43 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:

Exactly. I always forget about that. No team offers 7 picks to move up 2 spots unless there is something REALLY special about that kid.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I'm still waiting for Kiel McLeod to become an AHL-caliber player like his physical tools would dictate. And if not him, then Gilbert Brule. And if not him, then damn near anyone drafted between 2000-06.
Two good examples; both guys I saw in junior and both could dominate ... but Kiel McLeod couldn't skate if he were headed downhill, and Gilbert Brule was a 5'10" power forward.

We can continue on that list - I remember some scouts comparing Dan Fritsche to both Eric Staal and Nathan Horton in the same draft; and remember: we passed up on a chance to have Andrew Ladd, instead dealing down and selecting our preferred player, Alexandre Picard.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:03 AM
bizzz*

Ryan Murray is a ready for the NHL player. During the Subway series he looked like a man among boys. With other prospect they look at the potential and some impressive skills, while Murray can do it all, he's a complete package. Don't care about the rankings they put on the mains, Canadian fans as usually need something to be proud bout.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:27 PM
JacketsFanWest

Another shutout for Anton Forsberg today. That's two in a row now (against Leksand and Örebro, which are good teams).

He currently has a 93.37% save percentage, second best in HockeyAllsvenskan.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:32 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Another shutout for Anton Forsberg today. That's two in a row now (against Leksand and Örebro, which are good teams).

He currently has a 93.37% save percentage, second best in HockeyAllsvenskan .
Which is the second best league correct?

Old
12-29-2012, 02:07 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Yup.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:45 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Yes, but Allsvenskan tends to have higher tempo, higher scoring games than the SEL which teams rely more on a team defensive strategy.

This season there's more NHLers in Allsvenskan than the SEL since the SEL is prohibiting/limiting contracts. So, it's a little different this year. Anze Kopitar is one of the leading scorers in Allsvenskan. Letestu signed a few weeks ago to play for Almtuna. Cam Fowler is still playing for Forberg's team (Södertälje), but Matt Read has returned to North America.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:51 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Yes, but Allsvenskan tends to have higher tempo, higher scoring games than the SEL which teams rely more on a team defensive strategy.

This season there's more NHLers in Allsvenskan than the SEL since the SEL is prohibiting/limiting contracts. So, it's a little different this year. Anze Kopitar is one of the leading scorers in Allsvenskan. Letestu signed a few weeks ago to play for Almtuna. Cam Fowler is still playing for Forberg's team (Södertälje), but Matt Read has returned to North America.
Forsbergs team has a pretty stellar D too don't they? I'm definitely excited to see this goaltending battle the next 2-5 years in cbj.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:26 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Forsbergs team has a pretty stellar D too don't they? I'm definitely excited to see this goaltending battle the next 2-5 years in cbj.
Cam Fowler is definitely helping Södertälje defensively, but they have a lot of no-names as well. Nicklas Grossman signed a short term contract but he's no longer with the team. Back in November, they were blowing teams out with all the NHLers on the team, but now it's just Fowler.

Their other top defenseman is Mike Bergin, who graduated last year from RPI and wasn't signed by the Stars who drafted him in 2008 so he signed in Sweden.

Forsberg is probably a little ahead of schedule at this point. He probably spends one more season in Sweden, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the AHL next season.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Good stuff, JFW, thanks for sharing!

Anton Forsberg has definitely been a nice find by the scouting department, hopefully he can keep developing and will provide us with some tough decisions down the road.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:17 AM
Bluejackets009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Your question has been discussed recently beginning with post 344 of this thread. Hope he has a good WJC.
yeah after his suspension is up, sorry i took so long to reply

Old
12-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejackets009 View Post
yeah after his suspension is up, sorry i took so long to reply
Jenner will be well rested to take on Russia. We'll see how he does going forward. My guess is he still plays on the edge, that's who he is.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Jenner will be well rested to take on Russia. We'll see how he does going forward. My guess is he still plays on the edge, that's who he is.
I hope he shuts Nail Yakupov up, if you want my honest, personal opinion.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I hope he shuts Nail Yakupov up, if you want my honest, personal opinion.
I wouldn't mind that either.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:19 PM
bizzz*

So in 2011 the Jackets drafted 6 guys without 1st round pick and only Seth Ambroz doesn't look like he has an NHL future. Only 3 of the drfted kids were eligible for this WJC and all 3 of them are playing big roles for their respective teams there.
Sedlak is the captain of the Czech team.
Jenner is arguably a top-30 prospect in all hockey.
Reilly is one of the best offensive talents in American junior hockey
Forsberg is doing pretty well in Sweden.
TJ Tynan is arguably a top-100 prospect in all hockey: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1381

I think that looks like a hell of a draft and Howson already deserved some props for that draft class.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
So in 2011 the Jackets drafted 6 guys without 1st round pick and only Seth Ambroz doesn't look like he has an NHL future.
It's still awfully early; we're talking about a 19-year-old college sophomore. He's also exceeded his output from last year in 25 fewer games.

Quote:
I think that looks like a hell of a draft and Howson already deserved some props for that draft class.
Don't tell the green shirt-wearers that; they hate reading stuff like this.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:02 AM
ZachACA

Quote:
It's still awfully early; we're talking about a 19-year-old college sophomore. He's also exceeded his output from last year in 25 fewer games.

Don't tell the green shirt-wearers that; they hate reading stuff like this.
Shhhh, they'll protest your socks off!

Old
12-31-2012, 12:12 AM
JacketsFanWest

It's far too early to say whether Ambroz has an NHL future, but he's making progress at Minnesota and getting bigger opportunities. He was projected as a 1st rounder as a 16 year old in the USHL and has fallen substantially since then. The question is if his skating will continue to improve and he can round out his game.

Maybe his potential now is as a 4th liner, but overall, it wasn't a bad pick for a 5th rounder.

Of all the 2011 picks, Sedlak is seriously underrated. I really like his game and feel he can develop into a solid 2nd line center.

Closed Thread