Slovak youth hockey thread (NT´s, home leagues, CHL, the draft etc.) part II

Old
12-28-2012, 06:39 AM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
What do you mean by that?
The team that frustrates teams that are better on paper with good coaching/abiding the system and little star power and might even upset them and at the same time can struggle against the same level/weaker teams.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
The team that frustrates teams that are better on paper with good coaching/abiding the system and little star power and might even upset them and at the same time can struggle against the same level/weaker teams.
Ah I see. Yeah that's true. For now I still think the Slovaks have much better top end talent, particularly at the Men's level with guys like Gaborik, Halak, Chara, Hossa, but going forward that likely will be the case, unless guys like Jurco, Dano, etc become huge players. It does show the considerable improvement in coaching/team play the Slovaks have had where they can compete with the lesser star power, which is not the worst thing.

But unfortunately right now it does look like the "golden age" of Slovak hockey is behind us. I'd still rank Slovakia as the solid #7, kind of in a grouping of their own, slightly better than Swizterland/Norway/Latvia, but no longer quite at the level of the top 6. Probably fall into Swizterland/Norway/Latvia tier soon, particularly with the improvement those nations have shown in recent years and the advancing age of many Slovak stars. Hopefully this next generation starts to turn it around for Slovakia. WJC are not a great indicator though, IMO, since superior depth of bigger countries allows them to shine.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:07 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Ah I see. Yeah that's true. For now I still think the Slovaks have much better top end talent, particularly at the Men's level with guys like Gaborik, Halak, Chara, Hossa, but going forward that likely will be the case, unless guys like Jurco, Dano, etc become huge players. It does show the considerable improvement in coaching/team play the Slovaks have had where they can compete with the lesser star power, which is not the worst thing.

But unfortunately right now it does look like the "golden age" of Slovak hockey is behind us. I'd still rank Slovakia as the solid #7, kind of in a grouping of their own, slightly better than Swizterland/Norway/Latvia, but no longer quite at the level of the top 6. Probably fall into Swizterland/Norway/Latvia tier soon, particularly with the improvement those nations have shown in recent years and the advancing age of many Slovak stars. Hopefully this next generation starts to turn it around for Slovakia. WJC are not a great indicator though, IMO, since superior depth of bigger countries allows them to shine.
The thing with that is that except for the OG it is unlikely to see them all together and at the WC only a part of them is available (if any at all), that´s what I meant by little star power.

I think the recent development in Slovak hockey is starting to teach me not to make any bold predictions about its future. As an example if you told me a couple years back that we would have two goalies who are amongst the best in the two top European lagues, both under the age of 25, I would not believe you.

Also, the difference between SUI and SVK at the men´s level of course has been that SVK was able to make the extra step last year that SUI has failed to do so far.

I agree about the WJC not being that much help in predicting the future, especially since Slovakia is handicaped by the low number of players more than almost any other nation in the tourney.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
I just hope that they haven't burned themselves out in these first two games, and that the rest of the team has to step up now that Luza looks out for the rest of the tournament. I just wish they were less passive on the PK as that looks to be our achilles heel at the moment.

But, Daňo, Mikúš and Reway... Three really good young forwards there, without doubt.

Tatanik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:10 PM
slovakiasnextone

Some more interesting results from today and yesterday:

U18
Slovakia - Finland 2-4
Goals: Achs, Šille (Šoltés)
SOG: 33:36

Germany - Slovakia 2-5
Goals:Lantoši (Petráš), Šoltés (Cehlárik), Šille (Cehlárik), Petráš, Šiška (Beták, Lantoši)
SOG: 25-52

U16
Switzerland - Slovakia 4-2
Goals: Pätoprstý, Valent (Andrísik, Hibler)
SOG: 27-28, PIM: 3x2 - 4x2

Finland - Slovakia 2-3 GWS
Goals: Valent (Sádecký), Košecký (Valent), Murín GWS
SOG: 36 - 33, PIM: 4x2- 4x2

Old
12-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Tatanik

Quote:
Finland - Slovakia 2-3 GWS
Goals: Valent (Sádecký), Košecký (Valent), Murín GWS
SOG: 36 - 33, PIM: 4x2- 4x2
I'm assuming that's Banska Bystrica forward Peter Valent? Has some nice stats in the u20 Extraliga. Has anyone seen him live?

I am liking the performances of the U18's though. Dominated Germany on the SoG, and only a couple behind Finland. I'm not sure if there's any 'star names', but there could be a couple of decent forwards for the future from that group,

Old
12-28-2012, 02:48 PM
wings5

Pretty impressive results and player development considering the laughable number of registered players compared to other Nations.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:16 PM
slovakiasnextone

Does anyone know why Mikoláš isn´t with the U18 team? He was on the original roster, injury?

Also, IF the HK Orange team is reformed as the U18 team post WJC as last year, who will be the coach?

Old
12-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Tatanik

Also, who is in goal for the 16's, and is Radovan Bondra in that roster?

Old
12-28-2012, 03:26 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanik View Post
Also, who is in goal for the 16's, and is Radovan Bondra in that roster?
Adam Huska from Zvolen played yesterday against Switzerland, Matej Tomek from Slovan played against Finland today.

Yes, he is.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Tatanik

Quote:
Adam Huska from Zvolen played yesterday against Switzerland, Matej Tomek from Slovan played against Finland today.

Yes, he is.
Okay, thanks for the info. I'd have liked to have seen Bondra get some time in the U20 Extraliga this year, but Kosice kept him in the U18.

Did Bokros resign from the 18s job, as otherwise wouldn't he still be running the show?

Old
12-28-2012, 03:38 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the info. I'd have liked to have seen Bondra get some time in the U20 Extraliga this year, but Kosice kept him in the U18.

Did Bokros resign from the 18s job, as otherwise wouldn't he still be running the show?
I´m not sure I would call it resigned, but it was decided that he would coach U20 only after last season and Anton Bartánus has been coaching the U18s since the start of the season. Since he is also chief coach of all the junior NTs, I imagine it was quite demanding to hold three such positions.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
slovakiasnextone

WHC pre-tourney game
Slovakia U17 - Canada West 2:5 (1:2, 1:1, 0:2)
Goals: Berák (Adamčík), Halama (Holešinský, Sloboda)

Germany U16 - Slovakia U16 2-8 (0:4,2:3,0:1)
Goals: Grman (Oško), Horváth (Žiak), Sádecký (Valent), Nemec (Hibler), Hatala (Škamla), Pätoprstý (Mihalko), Žiak, Trudman (Mihalko, Žiak)

With this final result, the U16 team finishes the 4 nations tourney with 5 points, second place behind Switzerland (who btw totally destroyed Finland 7-0 today) and ahead of Finland and Germany.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Tatanik

Wow, eight goals by eight different players. That's a pretty good sign.

That Finnish roster can't be a full strength one though... Right?

Old
12-30-2012, 06:11 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Wow, eight goals by eight different players. That's a pretty good sign.

That Finnish roster can't be a full strength one though... Right?
Nope, the Finns also have another team playing in an another tournament. But still a rather embarassing result for them against the Swiss, even if it was a B team.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Damn prophetic. Tied 1-1 late in the 3rd with the Germans in the U-20's. Look worn out here against the Germans. The key players had logged so many minutes in the close games against Russia and Canada and now are tired. Not a pretty game at all...

Old
12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Tatanik

Can't even really be excited after the win in this game. Very disappointing performance.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:38 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Damn prophetic. Tied 1-1 late in the 3rd with the Germans in the U-20's. Look worn out here against the Germans. The key players had logged so many minutes in the close games against Russia and Canada and now are tired. Not a pretty game at all...
After watching so many of Slovak NT games it can hardly be called prophetic, it´s just a pure fact, no matter who the coach is you can still bet on that happening. It would be prophetic if I said that they will annihilate Germany and they would actually do it.

Can´t really blame tiredness as we played a team that played yesterday opposed to our guys having a day off and the German top players also logged many minutes in all of Germany´s games.

I would not make any deductions based on today, anything can happen tomorrow.

Meanwhile the U18 team defeats Switzerland 7-3 to finish 2nd in the 5 Nations tourney. Timotej Šille and Dávid Šoltés lead the toruney in scoring with 8 points in 4 games each.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Tatanik

Quote:
After watching so many of Slovak NT games it can hardly be called prophetic, it´s just a pure fact, no matter who the coach is you can still bet on that happening. It would be prophetic if I said that they will annihilate Germany and they would actually do it.

Can´t really blame tiredness as we played a team that played yesterday opposed to our guys having a day off and the German top players also logged many minutes in all of Germany´s games.
The hope is that they've left something in the tank for tomorrow, although I'm apprehensive.

Even the national team that finished in silver medal in World Champs looked awful when playing Switzerland and France in the Round Robin stage.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Tatanik

I'm still surprised that the fact Mario Lunter isn't on the roster this year. Doing pretty well for Banska Bystrica in the Extraliga, and had good experience with the 18s in Piestany.

Is it a case of that Orange20 is a closed shop, and unless you're playing for them, you're unlikely to get a look in?

Old
12-31-2012, 02:17 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I'm still surprised that the fact Mario Lunter isn't on the roster this year. Doing pretty well for Banska Bystrica in the Extraliga, and had good experience with the 18s in Piestany.

Is it a case of that Orange20 is a closed shop, and unless you're playing for them, you're unlikely to get a look in?
He´s injured AFAIK. Would have been invited to the pre WJC camp per Bokroš if he were healthy.

But yes, it is partly right, it is harder to make the team if you´re not in Orange.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Indian

Guys, so who are the possible returnees besides Daňo and Reway? Romančík, Sabol, Kolena, Luža, Buri, Rusina?

Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Guys, so who are the possible returnees besides Daňo and Reway? Romančík, Sabol, Kolena, Luža, Buri, Rusina?
That's it.

I don't generally follow young prospects, but looking last year's U-18 squad, it seems like Fwds David Griger(94), Mario Lunter(94), David Soltes(95), Dominik Rehak(95), Matej Paulovic(95), Def Jakub Predajniansky(94), Michal Valjent(94) are some names that might be in the mix next year. But that's just me looking at stats, there are posters much more qualified to comment on the young guys here...

I intentionally left Patrik Koys(95) off that list since it looks like he is having a disaster season in Shawinigan. I mean the team is atrocious, but just 1g, 5pts in 21gp, not good at all. I haven't seen any of their games, maybe I'm wrong, but with all the hype that had surrounded Koys in his earlier years, that has to be super disappointing.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:08 PM
menjek

Quote:
I don't generally follow young prospects, but looking last year's U-18 squad, it seems like Fwds David Griger(94), Mario Lunter(94), David Soltes(95), Dominik Rehak(95), Matej Paulovic(95), Def Jakub Predajniansky(94), Michal Valjent(94) are some names that might be in the mix next year. But that's just me looking at stats, there are posters much more qualified to comment on the young guys here...
Just going by the stats of our Extraleague U20

http://statistiky.szlh.sk/liga/347/i-action!61scoring

I would throw in Timotej Sille (95). He was beast together with Soltes on last U18 tourney, if i remember it correctly. By stats, he should play with men already.

menjek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

Mikoláš as G seems to be lock right now.

Since I can't imagine no player with cage protector on roster, I believe Juraj Šiška will make the team next year, even though it is pretty doubtful whether he is capable of it.

Černák might be a surprise, hard to say whether Bokroš (as I expect he will remain as U20 coach) will be so brave to take him to team.

But anyway, these names come to my mind:

G: Sabol, Romančík, Mikoláš
D: Luža, Buri, Valjent, Rusina, Predajniansky, Dinda, Holenda, Rosandić, Černák (?)
O: Daňo, Réway, Lunter, Gríger, Kolena, Šoltés, Šimun, Horanský, Török, Cehlárik, Šiška, Šille

If you miss Rehák or Koyš, trust me, I believe they won't make the team unless they join HK Orange 20 and it doesn't seem they're going to leave NA... Török is an exception. He probably stays there but he is the best out of those three players at this moment.

Last edited by ThrashersfanSVK: 01-05-2013 at 06:23 AM.
ThrashersfanSVK is offline   Reply With Quote