HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

LeBrun: 10 ways to recover from lockout

Old
12-28-2012, 11:09 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
I don't get how it creates less parity really? I never understand the rationality that certain situations benefit teams. Like Overtimes or 4v4s or Shootouts. Every team is still playing with the same puck and the same nets. Columbus has just as good of a chance to win/lose in regulation as they do in overtime or shootouts. It's not like there's a hidden variable involved that says, "+10 Win Chance" to the Kings because the game goes to OT. The puck still bounces the same way...

I think the loser point is what turns a lot of casual observers away from the NHL, really. At least those I've talked to.
It makes the standings close...thereby driving up attendance.

This is a business people.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:17 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
It makes the standings close...thereby driving up attendance.

This is a business people.
It does keep the standings close, which is stupid.

A #9 and #10 seed may bump out a #7 and #8 seed in the standings by losing. How would you feel to be a fan of the team who actually...you know...WON more games than the two other seeds, but you get bumped out by losers. Does that make you want to spend money on the sport?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:31 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...r-from-lockout

LeBrun offers up ten different things (from free NHL Center Ice to realignment for 13-14) to get the fans interested/engaged after lockout.

What might you want to see the league/teams do to get your business/$$ after lockout?
You want the fans back...

How about what Bettman said was going to happen as a result of the last lockout....Lower Ticket Prices....

As if that would ever happen. Sorry, it did happen for some franchises, but for another reason.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I don't see which part of that definition doesn't apply to preseason games, given that player expense are not a factor and tickets still sell.

Considering that many of these franchises aren't operating at a profit at all, or if they are it's relatively minor, I'd call the extra revenue granted by preseason games a pretty significant part of the revenue picture.
Not really. Go look up the attendance of those teams for pre-season games, then go look up ticket prices. The ones I bought in Vancouver a few years ago (Vancouver/Edmonton & Vancouver/Calgary) were dirt cheap (less than $50 each), and was low in the lower bowl.

Yes some teams make some decent coin from these games. But it's not a "pretty significant part of their revenue picture". It's a very small percentage of their overall revenue.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:48 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Not really. Go look up the attendance of those teams for pre-season games, then go look up ticket prices. The ones I bought in Vancouver a few years ago (Vancouver/Edmonton & Vancouver/Calgary) were dirt cheap (less than $50 each), and was low in the lower bowl.

Yes some teams make some decent coin from these games. But it's not a "pretty significant part of their revenue picture". It's a very small percentage of their overall revenue.
Seriously, having been to preseason games, I don't know how anyone can think they are profitable. Do people who have not been to these games realize it's essentially an AHL matchup with a couple NHLers sprinkled in? It's junk hockey that none of the players care about and they still kind of overcharge for the tickets, even at about a third of the price of regular season games.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:08 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I don't see which part of that definition doesn't apply to preseason games, given that player expense are not a factor and tickets still sell.

Considering that many of these franchises aren't operating at a profit at all, or if they are it's relatively minor, I'd call the extra revenue granted by preseason games a pretty significant part of the revenue picture.
Especially since, unlike Regular Season games, there are no salary expenses and teams can deduct the Direct Costs of the games (including travel and arena rent and operating expenses) from HRR.

And note, that many teams (including the Sharks) require STHs to purchase pre-season tickets at regular season prices, whether they want them or not.

I look at pre-seson tickets as basically being a STH tax.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:16 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
You want the fans back...

How about what Bettman said was going to happen as a result of the last lockout....Lower Ticket Prices....

As if that would ever happen. Sorry, it did happen for some franchises, but for another reason.
Let's see what happens with two seasons in a row lost. I think that is our best hope to really see it.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:44 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:

A #9 and #10 seed may bump out a #7 and #8 seed in the standings by losing. How would you feel to be a fan of the team who actually...you know...WON more games than the two other seeds, but you get bumped out by losers. Does that make you want to spend money on the sport?
To me it's not losing, since they tied the regular part of the game, but I'm not gonna get into that here.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:51 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Another thing with the shootouts is that if you have more regulation wins and don't make the playoffs, odds are you have more regulation losses too. You can look at it both ways. In the end, I think the current system is fine and serves its purpose well.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Mant*

Quote:

Been there. Calgary knocked the Avalanche out of the final playoff slot a few seasons back thanks to loser points. Avs had more wins, fewer losses, and one less point because of the stupidity that is the loser point. I was pissed off for months.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:21 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Been there. Calgary knocked the Avalanche out of the final playoff slot a few seasons back thanks to loser points. Avs had more wins, fewer losses, and one less point because of the stupidity that is the loser point. I was pissed off for months.
Actually, they had fewer losses

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...62007&type=con

Call it the loser point all you want, fact is they lost less real games than Colorado did. But had they won those OTs and SOs, you wouldn't be *****ing because the standings don't separate OT wins from regulation ones...

Old
12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
IceDogsandLeafs

What a pile of overall nonsense. A European division is intriguing, but unlikely to ever work long term. They will NEVER give Centre Ice away for free either. This is like a child's dream and not reality.

IceDogsandLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Mant*

Quote:

Call it the loser point all you want, fact is they lost less real games than Colorado did. But had they won those OTs and SOs, you wouldn't be *****ing because the standings don't separate OT wins from regulation ones...
Here's a translation of what you just said...

Overtime losses are more valuable than overtime wins.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:31 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:

Incorrect.

Calgary - 29 Reg. LOSSES. + 10 OT LOSSES = 39 LOSSES
Colorado - 31 Reg. LOSSES + 7 OT LOSSES = 38 LOSSES

So they had more games where they ended up on the losing side of things.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I could see only the Center Ice if it was a shortened season and at a really low price.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:43 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Incorrect.

Calgary - 29 Reg. LOSSES. + 10 OT LOSSES = 39 LOSSES
Colorado - 31 Reg. LOSSES + 7 OT LOSSES = 38 LOSSES

So they had more games where they ended up on the losing side of things.
If it's your progative to lump OTLs and regular losses in together, then sobeit. But the points that put them in the playoffs weren't because they lost, it was because they tied more games after 60 minutes of 5-a-side hockey than yours did, which is how the playoffs are played.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I love when the media brings up moving the season up so that we don't play in June. It's as if they would rather come in off summer vacation in August to cover training camp and pre-season hockey as opposed to meaningful playoff hockey in June.

Quite an unhealthy obsession there is with it in general.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:33 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I love when the media brings up moving the season up so that we don't play in June. It's as if they would rather come in off summer vacation in August to cover training camp and pre-season hockey as opposed to meaningful playoff hockey in June.

Quite an unhealthy obsession there is with it in general.
I don't know where they come with it. When it comes to the Stanley Cup Finals, if the teams are even remotely interesting, I'd watch them in August if I had to.

I'm concerned that Lebrun wants a play in. He's a sycophant and probably parroting something the owners want... because it's just extra cash for these greedheads.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I don't know where they come with it. When it comes to the Stanley Cup Finals, if the teams are even remotely interesting, I'd watch them in August if I had to.
You, me and probably most of the HF boards. The problem is that mainstream public doesn't see that as we do, especially in the US.

Shorter pre-season, tighter schedule and SC finals at the end of may with 3 week break before the draft, sounds good.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:13 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
You, me and probably most of the HF boards. The problem is that mainstream public doesn't see that as we do, especially in the US.

Shorter pre-season, tighter schedule and SC finals at the end of may with 3 week break before the draft, sounds good.
You, me and the rest of hfboards are the only people who matter.

Casual fans aren't going to tune in because it's May 13th instead of May 28th.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:19 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
If it's your progative to lump OTLs and regular losses in together, then sobeit. But the points that put them in the playoffs weren't because they lost, it was because they tied more games after 60 minutes of 5-a-side hockey than yours did, which is how the playoffs are played.
In the playoffs, you don't get a loser point for losing. If you lose in the playoffs, the other team is one more game closer to eliminating you from competition. Losers get no compensation for OT losses in the playoffs. It should be the same way in the regular season.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:35 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

Big deal. You start the season knowing your team needs to finish 4th. If you finish 5th but have more than the 3rd place in the other division... Boo Hoo. You knew the deal,

Old
12-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
In the playoffs, you don't get a loser point for losing. If you lose in the playoffs, the other team is one more game closer to eliminating you from competition. Losers get no compensation for OT losses in the playoffs. It should be the same way in the regular season.
Missing the point.

If a team gets enough ties to be all that interesting, it's playing better hockey than a team that wins more games but loses more games, because it's playing more consistently at a competitive level. I'll take consistency over boom and bust, because come playoff time, "bust" is just as likely as "boom."

And if your boom and bust squad gets a lot of its "boom" from picking up the "winner point," I like my chances even better, because that's not a factor in the postseason.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:43 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Big deal. You start the season knowing your team needs to finish 4th. If you finish 5th but have more than the 3rd place in the other division... Boo Hoo. You knew the deal,
Exactly. This is exactly what I was saying to the Avs fan who was *****ing. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:45 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Right. In the playoffs you don't close tie games with a side show, you close it with hockey. It's not the same thing...