HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils Financial Situation

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Cowbell232

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
With Ray Chambers being part of the group that invested in the YES Network, and now that 49% of the network is being sold, his shares are being reduced to 12%, resulting in him earning 5x his original investment with the network

Being that Chambers is still on the books as a part owner of the Devils, and despite the fact that he and JVB aren't on great terms, will the Devils see any of the money he is making going to help the arena debt?
No. Rich men don't get rich by giving away their money...

And to all the stuff - I believe there's a deep respect for the 'my way or nothing' and 'winning at all costs' attitudes that Lou and George Steinbrenner both share. I think they were friends for a while.

The baseball link to the Devils goes back even further as Dr. McMullen also owned the Houston Astros...

Old
11-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
No. Rich men don't get rich by giving away their money...

And to all the stuff - I believe there's a deep respect for the 'my way or nothing' and 'winning at all costs' attitudes that Lou and George Steinbrenner both share. I think they were friends for a while.

The baseball link to the Devils goes back even further as Dr. McMullen also owned the Houston Astros...
Chambers has plenty of money, if he even gave 1/4 of what he made in the investment he just sold, it would be pennies ($335m initial investment, his group walked away yesterday with 5x profit) - I never did and won't expect the Devils to see any of that $$, but in being an owner of something that is struggling financially in an area, why would you want to be associated with that? You'll see what I mean later in this post with the YankeeNets group

McMullen was one of George's "partners" in the initial purchase of the Yankees in the early 70s, and if you were a partner of George's, you pretty much didn't have a say in anything which led to McMullen's famous quote of 'nothing is so limited as being a limited partner of george'

Once McMullen sold the Devils, that Puckholdings group purchased the team which included JVB and Steinbrenner - Puckholdings was an affiliate of the YankeeNets group which had plans of bringing both the Devils and Nets to the YES Network, the Devils were scheduled to move to the YES Network for the first year at the Rock (by coincidence), but the Yankees side of the ownership didn't want to construct a new arena for $$ losing teams so thats where the group broke up and MSG/Cablevision stepped in and gave us the sweet TV deal and we moved on to building the arena

Old
11-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

''Here comes Jay Bouwmeester just over the blue line, winds, fires, and SEE YA! It's a goal! He beats Martin Brodeur cleanly from over 65 feet out!''

Old
11-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Well, that's just unrealistic. Bouwmeester's shot isn't anywhere near that good.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Well, that's just unrealistic. Bouwmeester's shot isn't anywhere near that good.
He did score a goal like that though or close. It was in reference to the Calgary game when Marty got pulled. Bouwmeester scored a goal like that.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Not sure if the 4th period or David Pagnotta is any good so if mods want to delete this then im sorry but

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/colum.../dp121228.html

Quote:
Another team hoping for similar results is the New Jersey Devils, hosts of the 2013 NHL Draft, who are on the verge of being sold to Calgary billionaire Bill Gallacher (first reported in August). The extent of the sale is not yet clear, but news should begin to hit local outlets some time in January.

The addition of Gallacher, providing everything moves forward, will solidify the Devils' financial stability, get them out of debt, and allow them to remain competitive -- meaning guys like Zach Parise will never be allowed to leave again.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Nick0930

Awesome if true. Good old Alberta oil tycoons (I assume).

Old
12-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
Not sure if the 4th period or David Pagnotta is any good so if mods want to delete this then im sorry but

Please be true

Old
12-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post

Fourth period has brought up Gallagher like twenty times in connection with the Devils. Their reputability is questionable, but I'd take that news with a grain of salt, although it's definitely possible.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:51 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

The 4th period has eklund type sources. In fact I would say at this point Eklund has better sources.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

In before Lou says it's not true, and the situation is still status quo.

Didn't he shoot down this Gallagher thing before? I mean I'd expect him to either way anyway.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:15 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

sorry, no thanks. wendy's or bust. nothing will lure fans back to the rock like free baconators

Old
12-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Does the part about guys like Zach Parise never being allowed to leave again mean Lou will make an adjustment in the way he does business, and offer extensions mid season, or the Summer before they become free agents? As I've already said I don't blame him for Parise, but guys can't go out to the market like that. I even remember when we had money out the ass guys like Madden, and Langenbrunner would re sign on July 1st, but would do so before they hit the market.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
sorry, no thanks. wendy's or bust. nothing will lure fans back to the rock like free baconators
As someone who has refused to eat baconators for a while now (ever since I made the mistake of looking at the nutrition facts of one of those), I can still fully agree with your statement. I refuse to eat them, but there is no chance in hell I would turn down some free baconators.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:29 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
As someone who has refused to eat baconators for a while now (ever since I made the mistake of looking at the nutrition facts of one of those), I can still fully agree with your statement. I refuse to eat them, but there is no chance in hell I would turn down some free baconators.
I respect your stance. but that sure as **** better mean you’ve never eaten a McRib either

Old
12-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
I respect your stance. but that sure as **** better mean you’ve never eaten a McRib either
Once for pure intrigue. Haven't had one since, no desire to. But that goes past the nutrition facts. Just wasn't anything special to me. As much as I try not to eat fast food, I will on some occasions (usually late at night and after drinking in some capacity, but it still counts). I just don't feel the need to go overboard on killing myself with fast food.... unless I'm really drunk and don't care.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

While it would be cool to have a billionaire owner, I still really enjoy having an owner who was also a Devils fan and is from NJ.. Jeff has been good at "modernizing" the Devils with better marketing and really pushing the whole Jersey pride thing

Old
12-28-2012, 04:00 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

So this guy who owns the Portland Winterhawks wants to buy the Devils. And the guy is from western Canada.

Yeah, we have nothing to worry about...

Seattle Devils?

Old
12-28-2012, 04:06 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Getting them out of debt is the funniest part of the story.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Devils731

This is the 4th or 5th time The Fourthperiod has said we're just weeks away from hearing this deal confirmed? Even if they're right, they should wait until they get a better source as to the timing of it.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:09 PM
hlaverty06

Las Vegas Devils

Only cause I'm sitting in a Vegas airport now

Old
12-28-2012, 04:10 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
So this guy who owns the Portland Winterhawks wants to buy the Devils. And the guy is from western Canada.

Yeah, we have nothing to worry about...

Seattle Devils?
I don't know why people always assume that Canadian buyers want to move the team? Especially when it would cost a bagillion dollars to get out of the TV/arena contracts with like two decades left on them, and they likely wouldn't get a TV deal anywhere near what Dolan pays out in their new market.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:21 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I don't know why people always assume that Canadian buyers want to move the team? Especially when it would cost a bagillion dollars to get out of the TV/arena contracts with like two decades left on them, and they likely wouldn't get a TV deal anywhere near what Dolan pays out in their new market.
Precisely.

On top of that, as noted when this guy came up the first few times... he was in the running for Dallas when they were for sale and he made note then that he has no interest in moving a team to Seattle/Portland.

His main interest in buying an NHL team, other than the novelty of being a billionaire fan who wants a team, is to use the the NHL scouting resources to help out his WHL team.

And sure the Huckster is a Devils fan, but he's in no financial shape to be the majority owner of a team. I don't see anything wrong with him keeping a minor share, though.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

If the Hucksterbeek being the owner is gonna cost us players, and leave us a cap floor team than no thanks. I'll take mr Alberta oil king.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I get worried about the team moving in general.. At least with Jeff he's a fan with some ties to the team and state, not some businessman only concerned with his own financial success.. I don't know many billionaires from NJ who could buy the team

I mean, in 2 decades when the TV deal and arena lease are up, we'll need an owner committed to keeping us here.. We'll need massive TV deal, and Dolan losing subscribers now that FiOS and Comcast have taken away his HD monopoly can't be good.. We'll also need to see how resilient the fan base is, as we haven't had a stretch of poor seasons in over 20 years and attendance hasn't been amazing during success.. Our market already has 2 other teams in it playing in NYC.. Just worries the crap out of me which sucks because we're so many years away from ever getting any certainty on this

Closed Thread