HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014, 3rd overall, Edmonton)

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 10:07 PM
ryanalbertmills

vCash: 500
i have a feeling this guys gonna be really good. easily the best German yesterday, and one of the top 3 players playing for both teams, in that game at least. Nice to see a German player who could be a potential top 5 pick!

Old
12-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1990 View Post
i have a feeling this guys gonna be really good. easily the best German yesterday, and one of the top 3 players playing for both teams, in that game at least. Nice to see a German player who could be a potential top 5 pick!
Very impressed with him.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Maverick41

vCash: 150
The last time I had seen him in a full game, before yesterday, was at the U18-WJC. Since then I have only seen some highlights or small stretches of games in the WHL.

I think his skating has improved, but I think at this point it is better suited for the big ice, where he doesn't have to turn too tightly and make quick changes of direction, as much as he has to on the smaller surface.

Maybe that is why people who have seen im in the WHL are a little more critical of his skating.

Nevertheless he is a real gem for German hockey.
He and Dominik Kahun could become a very dynamic duo for the national team in years to come, if they are not too busy playing in the NHL, that is.

Last edited by Maverick41: 12-27-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old
12-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Sensbud
Rookie User

He's quiet the player to watch. He looks great on the point as well. More mobile then i expected. He has a big wing span it seems which makes it easy for him to shield the puck.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:31 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensbud View Post
He's quiet the player to watch. He looks great on the point as well. More mobile then i expected. He has a big wing span it seems which makes it easy for him to shield the puck.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Orange Thunder

He's gonna be a good one.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:19 PM
shello
@WShello9

Agreed with many of the earlier posters, his skating is a little week, I hate judging players by tv especially skating, but I can't help big notice it. It drastically improves when he has the puck which is odd. Could be he way he learned how to play, but needs to fine tune that. With that said I don't find it bad to the point where it'll hold him back in the future, just would be a lot more deadly if he worked on it.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

His skating is ugly but not ineffective. Hunched over and Alex Picard-esque, but only above the waist. I think his feet are actually fine. Exceptionally slippery for a big man, and excellent puck protection. I don't see his mobility as being incompatible for the NHL. Most goals are scored on highlight reel, break away rushes. I'm extremely impressed with this player and not at all worried about the long term effectiveness of his mobility.

He actually reminds me a bit of Blake Wheeler as a Freshman at Minnesota.

12-28-2012, 06:05 PM
ponder

Have watched both Germany games (vs. Canada and vs. the USA), and I agree that Draisaitl is easily their most intriguing prospect. Nearly 3 years younger than Rieder, and more or less just as good already. I have to think that he's easily the best German forward prospect since Goc, maybe the best German forward prospect ever.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:14 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

This guy is my boy. From the first touch, I knew he had some great talent. Amazing will combined with skill and determination on his forechecking.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:51 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
This guy is my boy. From the first touch, I knew he had some great talent. Amazing will combined with skill and determination on his forechecking.
Agreed. I love how he uses his body to create space for himself and his teammates. If developed properly he could become a good power forward in the NHL. Love his skill set.

As another poster said, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best German prospect ever. I wouldn't really compare him to Goc, because when he was drafted he was considered a 'safe pick'. Most people had his potential set as a second round center who was more likely to develop into a very good third liner, which is exactly what happened. Marco Sturm is the only other real comparable and I think with Draisaitl's size and style of play that he has more potential. Sturm was smaller and very fast with flashy offense, while Draisaitl is more of a power forward who can put up points and work the corners well.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being selected in the top 10 in 2014.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Bure80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Have watched both Germany games (vs. Canada and vs. the USA), and I agree that Draisaitl is easily their most intriguing prospect. Nearly 3 years younger than Rieder, and more or less just as good already. I have to think that he's easily the best German forward prospect since Goc, maybe the best German forward prospect ever.
I wouldnt compare Draisaitl to Rieder. Draisaitl is playmaker,Rieder is a goalscorer.
Anyway i think Draisaitl is the better prospect. Rieder could end up best as 2nd Line forward, Draisaitl can be 1 Line Center in my opinion.
What i like is that he works hard on the backend too.

Hope Germany stays in Top Division to see Draisaitl next year again + Germany should have a better D next year.

Last edited by Bure80: 12-29-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 12:49 PM
JoeLH

When asked about his biggest weakness in February, Draisaitl mentioned his skating. He knows it and will work on it. It's good to see him competing well with top-end talent at the WC, already. His play on the point on the PP really impressed me, too.

By the way, his genes are also good. His father Peter, of czech background, was one of the most skilled players in der german league for a long time and currently is the first german coach ever in the czech Extraleague with Ceske Budejovice.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:21 AM
ByeBye

Draisaitl with a strong finish against Latvia today, scored two goals himself and assisted on another two.
Overall, he had 2G 4A in 6GP, Germany scored only three goals without him being involved.

The win today also means that he'll be back in Malmö next year.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:32 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
His skating is ugly but not ineffective. Hunched over and Alex Picard-esque, but only above the waist. I think his feet are actually fine. Exceptionally slippery for a big man, and excellent puck protection. I don't see his mobility as being incompatible for the NHL. Most goals are scored on highlight reel, break away rushes. I'm extremely impressed with this player and not at all worried about the long term effectiveness of his mobility.

He actually reminds me a bit of Blake Wheeler as a Freshman at Minnesota.
What?

Old
01-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuernberger View Post
Draisaitl with a strong finish against Latvia today, scored two goals himself and assisted on another two.
Overall, he had 2G 4A in 6GP, Germany scored only three goals without him being involved.

The win today also means that he'll be back in Malmö next year.

Good to hear.

It would of been a shame if he had to play his draft year WJC in D1.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Maverick41

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Good to hear.

It would of been a shame if he had to play his draft year WJC in D1.
True. On some level I would have been curious to see what he would do against the weaker competition in D1, but then again it should be much more interesting to see how he develops and how his performance will compare to what he has done this year.

I sometimes wonder, on how many of the other teams hew would have made the roster this year.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:49 AM
fredligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post

I sometimes wonder, on how many of the other teams hew would have made the roster this year.
Slovakia
Latvia
Switzerland
Finland

Old
02-14-2013, 05:04 AM
Madferit

Greetings from Germany. How is Leon doing currently? Do you still expect him to be drafted in the 1st round of the Draft 2014? Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Last edited by Madferit: 02-14-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 06:11 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madferit View Post
Greetings from Germany. How is Leon doing currently? Do you still expect him to be draftes in the 1st round of the Draft 2014? Thanks in advance for your opinion!
He seems to be doing terrific! He had a 2-goal game last night against Swift Current.. Point wise, he's 3rd in the WHL for rookies (behind Oliver Bjorkstrand and Roberts Lipsbergs, both 2013 eligible) and is 4th on his team..

I've only actually seen him play during the World Juniors, but I was beyond impressed with him. He seems like the type of player that just wants to be the best he can, all while improving those around him. Though from what I remember, he needs to work on his skating (it's not bad, but could be improved).

Currently, I see him as a top-10 pick in the draft next year. If he can improve his skating (he may have, it's been over a month since i've seen him), and continues to shine like he is, he could possibly make his way into the top-5... No doubt in my mind he's taken in the first round though. I'd say he could be, arguably, the best prospect to come from Germany (not counting Heatley as his Father is Canadian, and he plays for Canada.)

Old
02-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Madferit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
He seems to be doing terrific! He had a 2-goal game last night against Swift Current.. Point wise, he's 3rd in the WHL for rookies (behind Oliver Bjorkstrand and Roberts Lipsbergs, both 2013 eligible) and is 4th on his team..

I've only actually seen him play during the World Juniors, but I was beyond impressed with him. He seems like the type of player that just wants to be the best he can, all while improving those around him. Though from what I remember, he needs to work on his skating (it's not bad, but could be improved).

Currently, I see him as a top-10 pick in the draft next year. If he can improve his skating (he may have, it's been over a month since i've seen him), and continues to shine like he is, he could possibly make his way into the top-5... No doubt in my mind he's taken in the first round though. I'd say he could be, arguably, the best prospect to come from Germany (not counting Heatley as his Father is Canadian, and he plays for Canada.)
Thank you for this report, sounds promising.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Okay, as far as I can work out, he sounds like Alexander Barkov Jr.

Big kids? Check. Sons of famous players? Check. Excellent vision? Check. Average skaters? Check.

It's almost uncanny. I really hope he does well and gets drafted high, it would be exactly the kicker that Germany's hockey needs right now.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:36 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madferit View Post
Thank you for this report, sounds promising.
No problem

Old
02-14-2013, 07:50 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Considering his birthday (Oct. 27th) is only a month and a half after the 2013 cutoff date (Sept. 15th)... where do you think Draisaitl would be ranked in this years draft if he was eligible?

Personally, considering the depth this years first round has.. I highly doubt he'd be as high as he is for 2014, but I still see him being a first round pick.. at lowest, an early second.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Madferit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post

It's almost uncanny. I really hope he does well and gets drafted high, it would be exactly the kicker that Germany's hockey needs right now.
Even a new Gretzky wouldn't save German hockey. No one cares. DEL is a joke, a closed league. No possibilities to get in from league 2. Almost every club is struggling. Everybody's mad about football here (so I ) and Handball is Number 2 by a mile. Hockey created just negative headlines in the past 20 years. It needs more than Leon to overcome this.

Closed Thread