HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 28 • Canada 6, Slovakia 3 • Part III

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

vCash: 500
Gotta get Reilly/Oullet out as the top PP unit. Murphy has been a train wreck if you ask me. Holds the puck way too long, dangerous passes, and boneheaded plays. Hamilton has been so-so, was definitely expecting more of him from how people pumped his tires pre-tourny. Drouin was flying out there today as well

Old
12-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

Just saw the game thanks to PVR. Thoughts:

- Lipon's hit was dirty and deserves a suspension. The call on the Camara hit was definitely blown, but it sounded like the refs really didn't have a choice.

- Subban was ok... REALLY shaky 1st period, even outside of the 2 goals (2nd was near unsaveable). Thankfully he fixed those rebound control issues and played well for the next 40.

Ouellet was the best player on the ice tonight. Rielly and Nuge also had great games. Strome had been our most disappointing player for the first 3 imo, but looked great today. Still waiting for Hamilton to show something...

Everything Murphy does is blown out of proportion. Outside of the 1st period, he played well defensively and created some nice chances. It's unfortunate that all people will remember is him losing the puck in the offensive zone.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:12 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26331

Now, this is the NHL rule for charging, and I'm a little puzzled...so charging is basically when you hit a guy too hard?
That's the rulebook - it's vague. But that isn't the definition by which referees call a charge. They can't say, "there, there now. you hit to hard - sit in the box". There has to be a prolonged trajectory toward a player to deliver a FORCEFUL hit (3 or more strides/acceleration) or jumping into a hit.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
See I think Murphy might get a good amount of minutes but Rielly is definitely out there at even strength and some PP time, but Murphy only plays a large chunk on the PP. How much longer do you think til Rielly and Ouellet are on the first PP?

Oh I agree he was great but X factor to me just made it sound like he completely threw the team on his back and was the reason for the win. He played great and contributed but I would still probably say Ouellet was a better dman in the game overall (partially because of Rielly helping him as well) and Scheifele was pretty damn good as well.

I guess you could say all 3 were x factors. Scheifele the best forward, Ouellet the best dman and Rielly producing offense at the most critical times.
Well said. Only change is that I think Ouellet played as good as Rielly not better. Ouellet kind of let that pass go through and kinda screened Subban on the second Slovakian goal, but he definitely made up for that (and thensome) with his play later on. That is the only reason I say he played as good as Rielly. Without that mistake, he his play was without a doubt better. I can see Ouellet being on the tournament allstar team...but I 'm getting way ahead of myself.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:18 PM
jigsaw99

Spott is gonna ruin everything. This is suppose to be another 2005 stacked team but instead we have a moron for a coach who can't adapt to anything. Can't wait till Sunday. It's gonna be interesting.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:21 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Skating through or jumping into a collision, skating through define as 3 or more strides in the same vector the hit is delivered. Charging is not arbirarily defined as a player going "full speed" - if that were the case, almost no player would be charged with charging, as in a hockey game, VERY RARELY is someone able to get to their full speed - the game is too dynamic for that.
Where did you get this definition of the rule?

Old
12-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

Mackinnon NEEDS more ice time.

Every time he and Drouin were on together, it was domination. I don't understand Spott's coaching at all.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:28 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
That's the rulebook - it's vague. But that isn't the definition by which referees call a charge. They can't say, "there, there now. you hit to hard - sit in the box". There has to be a prolonged trajectory toward a player to deliver a FORCEFUL hit (3 or more strides/acceleration) or jumping into a hit.
This is good stuff. You tell someone to go "read the rule book" then come back with your own definition of charging. I do not see anything in the IIHF book that gives ANY SPECIFICS as to what charging is. Maybe you should have looked it up before acting like a know it all.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Nuck This

When will Canada stop playing favorites when picking the team. Murphy is atrocious... Spott is a moron.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Stats01

Spott is going to f this thing up I can just tell. Been puzzled with more than a few things so far.

Rielly and MacKinnon should be getting a ton more ice time, he needs to put Rielly and Ouellet as the #1 PP unit, Murphy just isn't cutting it. Spott doesn't show much emotion on the bench either he needs to wake the f up and get this team playing better and get the right lines going or we're not going anywhere in this tournament. We have a crap load of talent that is not being used to it's full potential. Worst coaching staff Team Canada has brought in a while. Also would be nice if Spott would stop playing favourites.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:41 PM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
When will Canada stop playing favorites when picking the team. Murphy is atrocious... Spott is a moron.
15 GF , 6GA 2-0-0 while shorthanded due to misconducts, a parade to the penalty box, and ok goaltending... The kids are doing alright so far and Spott is coaching 1.000. Our measuring stick won't come until the 30th and 31st.

So far this is one of my favorites WJ's in memory because there's actually some doubt that we can take it.. For the last 10 years, I've just expected them to win it. This year, the victory will be that much sweeter.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
15 GF , 6GA 2-0-0 while shorthanded due to misconducts, a parade to the penalty box, and ok goaltending... The kids are doing alright so far and Spott is coaching 1.000. Our measuring stick won't come until the 30th and 31st.

So far this is one of my favorites WJ's in memory because there's actually some doubt that we can take it.. For the last 10 years, I've just expected them to win it. This year, the victory will be that much sweeter.
That's not really saying much, Canada can probably bring two teams and do well, we're winning on talent alone. The coaching staff is a concern, with some really questionable decisions. Like I said, Spott is not getting the full potential out of this team. Some stupid mistakes, bad starts to games, thats on the coach. It's his job to get them prepared for each game and all I've seen is Canada look like complete crap for the first periods. It's ok doing it against Germany and Slovakia but not against Russia and the U.S and into the medal round. I'm telling you Spott is going to f this up

Old
12-28-2012, 04:46 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
It is Canadians picking a hockey team, there are always favorites played. Has been going on for generations and always will be.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
It is Canadians picking a hockey team, there are always favorites played. Has been going on for generations and always will be.
It hasn't been this obvious in the past though. Playing Murphy over Rielly is a joke IMO. Thankfully Spott woke up from his slumber and realized that OMG! Rielly can produce when given the chance..

Old
12-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Zybalto

With all the talk of Lipon getting suspended (I've got a sneaking suspicion many don't mind in order for some more favourable forwards to get more ice time), I'm wondering why there isnt more talk of Rapac getting suspended as well?

Personally, I don't think either of them deserve to be suspended but I just don't see Lipon's hit being any more dangerous than the Rapac knee.

Lipon hit:

Rapac knee:

Thoughts?

Old
12-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybalto View Post
With all the talk of Lipon getting suspended (I've got a sneaking suspicion many don't mind in order for some more favourable forwards to get more ice time), I'm wondering why there isnt more talk of Rapac getting suspended as well?

Personally, I don't think either of them deserve to be suspended but I just don't see Lipon's hit being any more dangerous than the Rapac knee.

Lipon hit:

Rapac knee:

Thoughts?
Watching that knee gets me steamed. I know it would've gotten me a major penalty but if I was one of the Canadian players I would've gone after him. I hate stuff like that, it's sooo cheap and unnecessary

Old
12-28-2012, 04:54 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Rielly was good today but he still looks tentative out there. When he's comfortable he's a much different player.
I agree. I don't think he's played his best hockey yet, though he seemed to be getting closer after he scored. Hard to do that when you sit on the bench so often.

Last edited by iPunch: 12-28-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Reading all 3 game threads after watching the game is hilarious.

When did Scheifele become the HF whipping boy? The dive or embellishment on the hit to get the PP wasn't pretty, but the posters trying to imply that he couldn't skate, or that he was the worst player on the team have absolutely no ability to watch and critique a hockey game.

Scheifele was singled out for playing a mens or NHL game by Ferraro (separate from the dive), was given the player of the game (decided by the teams), and given the MVP of the game from TSN.

He was physical and played very good in both ends of the ice.

But thank god we have HF posters and their lol's, and lame puns about Scheifele.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Gutchecktime

Question for those who watch Hamilton in Niagara: is he normally heavily relied upon on the PK there? Doesn't seem like TC trusts him in that role to this point which surprises me based on how he's been advertised.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
jedimyrmidon

Like many other posters, I hate to see diving especially when it's "your" team.

However, this game was not an NHL game, and not refereed as such. The officials here [and certain players] seem to not know how to react to hard bodychecks, and the officials definitely lost control of the game. Lipon's hit was extremely irresponsible on his part, but Camara's was clean and yet he was ejected all the same, forcing Canada to run on 3 lines.

This may outrage some, but I think North American players can withstand getting pushed around more simply because it's the type of game played here, and so refs don't call as many penalties that result from physical play because everything appears to be fine. For example, Schiefele DID get crosschecked before his "dive", but I'm sure he could have taken it and skated off. But then the ref would have missed the crosscheck so...

Yes, yes, a saintly team would have done everything in the purest way possible - no bodychecking, no diving, taking slashes, taking crosschecks or whatever came their way, regardless of the officiating and missed calls... Well, that's a pretty tough order seeing as they were already down to 10 forwards and had already had to kill off two 5min penalties.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Harrington gets "the cape" today:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=412387

Old
12-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Who else is loving the big ice?!? So much space for the players, really lets skill shine through. I can't get enough of it.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:49 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

How did Spott get chosen for coaching the national team? His record doesn't seem very impressive. None of the recent Memorial Cup winners/participants interested? Is it simply because he's been assistant for the national team before and 'paid his dues'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_S...oaching_record

Old
12-28-2012, 06:08 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
How did Spott get chosen for coaching the national team? His record doesn't seem very impressive. None of the recent Memorial Cup winners/participants interested? Is it simply because he's been assistant for the national team before and 'paid his dues'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_S...oaching_record
pretty much... typical HC boy club pickings.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:26 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Looks like the Peter Principle was in effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

Closed Thread