Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
For what it's worth (which is probably nothing), as of my typing this, there have been 43176 drafts simulated on that website. Winnipeg finished with the best average draft position of any team (10.619)

Only one will really matter, but i like the 'simulated results'.

A top 7 or even 8 pick should yield an outstanding prospect. Mackinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, Monahan, Nichushkin, etc.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
jetkarma

tsnjamesduthie: One of the more intriguing things in NHL offer is a draft lottery that would give all non-playoff teams a chance at first pick. Overdue

Would hate to be in for a premier pick ( top 2/3 ) and end up at 12.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
The defensive side of his play, mostly (which could be worked on). Besides today's game, I'm talking about the other times I've seen him play. Good offensively, but like you said top 6 or bust. He seems to get back late on the back check and needs work on his gap control IMO.
His defensive zone play needs alot of work, no doubt, but not every player is going to be a twoway player. He does play in a very very strict system orientated game in Slovan, and is succeeding and working well with his coach there, so that gives me faith that he is coachable.

It is slightly concerning, but personally I want the Jets to swing for the fences, I am tired of the "twoway hard working" players with every single pick, too many of those, especially those in later rounds do not pan out, and if they do you are looking at a 4th liner/13th forward at best. Time for some high end skill like a Dano, IMO.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:11 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
tsnjamesduthie: One of the more intriguing things in NHL offer is a draft lottery that would give all non-playoff teams a chance at first pick. Overdue

Would hate to be in for a premier pick ( top 2/3 ) and end up at 12.
I haven't seen all the details, but wouldn't it just a larger version of the current lottery, where you can only drop back one spot?

Old
12-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
His defensive zone play needs alot of work, no doubt, but not every player is going to be a twoway player. He does play in a very very strict system orientated game in Slovan, and is succeeding and working well with his coach there, so that gives me faith that he is coachable.

It is slightly concerning, but personally I want the Jets to swing for the fences, I am tired of the "twoway hard working" players with every single pick, too many of those, especially those in later rounds do not pan out, and if they do you are looking at a 4th liner/13th forward at best. Time for some high end skill like a Dano, IMO.
I agree with you there. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I wonder if or when they'll either select a Euro/Russian or a player below 6 feet tall. Neither has happened as of yet and I'd hate to think that trend continues. Our current system is filled with bottom 6 players and bottom pairing d-men (baring significant development).

Old
12-28-2012, 05:23 PM
jbreiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I haven't seen all the details, but wouldn't it just a larger version of the current lottery, where you can only drop back one spot?
No this draft will be based on number of (or lack there of) playoff appearances and first overall picks as there was not a season to base the draft on.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreiner View Post
No this draft will be based on number of (or lack there of) playoff appearances and first overall picks as there was not a season to base the draft on.
Only if there is not a season.

He is talking about the fact that in the new CBA proposal by the League, there will be a change to the draft Lottery that will allow all non-playoff teams a chance at the first overall pick. The wording in the press release does not make it clear if that means teams will be only to slip one pick in the new system, much like the current one, or if the lottery for non-playoff teams will move teams all over the place, ala NBA.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:48 PM
jetkarma

Quote:

Could be , not sure.... be really sad to have a shortened season , have oh say Pavelec not ready , Buff not in shape , get a couple key injuries , a tough luck stretch and finish with a top 5 pick and then lose that because of the new system.

I would hope they scale it in a version such as you mention , although for me I don't want any teams that make the playoffs having a chance for the overall pick .

Old
12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

[QUOTE=jetkarma;56878897]Could be , not sure.... be really sad to have a shortened season , have oh say Pavelec not ready , Buff not in shape , get a couple key injuries , a tough luck stretch and finish with a top 5 pick and then lose that because of the new system.

I would hope they scale it in a version such as you mention , although for me I don't want any teams that make the playoffs having a chance for the overall pick .[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But imagine we are a bubble team and just miss out on the playoffs. Having everyone that didn't make the playoffs involved in the draft lottery would be assume. IMO this is more likely than us being a true bottom feeder...I hope

Old
12-28-2012, 06:14 PM
jetkarma

[QUOTE=KingBogo;56879299]
Quote:
Could be , not sure.... be really sad to have a shortened season , have oh say Pavelec not ready , Buff not in shape , get a couple key injuries , a tough luck stretch and finish with a top 5 pick and then lose that because of the new system.

I would hope they scale it in a version such as you mention , although for me I don't want any teams that make the playoffs having a chance for the overall pick .[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But imagine we are a bubble team and just miss out on the playoffs. Having everyone that didn't make the playoffs involved in the draft lottery would be assume. IMO this is more likely than us being a true bottom feeder...I hope
Like your optimism , however I have no confidence in a shortened season to do well or poorly for that matter , all bets are off so to speak.

The pessimistic view could easily see Pavelec being spotty at best and who knows what shape any player may show up in , let alone a key guy like Buff who has been known to enjoy a liesurely off season , we are missing Bogosian , the injury may take longer to heal than anticipated , we have the travel aspect .... and a lot of teams could easily be better.

An elite level prospect to add to Scheifele , and Trouba would so painful as a franchise to miss out on if we have a bad shortened season , imo.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:34 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:

I would hope they scale it in a version such as you mention , although for me I don't want any teams that make the playoffs having a chance for the overall pick .
If Pav isn't ready he may never be.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:38 PM
truck
HFB Partner

[QUOTE=jetkarma;56879709]
Quote:

Like your optimism , however I have no confidence in a shortened season to do well or poorly for that matter , all bets are off so to speak.

The pessimistic view could easily see Pavelec being spotty at best and who knows what shape any player may show up in , let alone a key guy like Buff who has been known to enjoy a liesurely off season , we are missing Bogosian , the injury may take longer to heal than anticipated , we have the travel aspect .... and a lot of teams could easily be better.

An elite level prospect to add to Scheifele , and Trouba would so painful as a franchise to miss out on if we have a bad shortened season , imo.
All bets are off indeed.

The travel thing is a little overblown IMO.

Other teams in our division and some western conference teams will have it worse.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:40 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

[QUOTE=jetkarma;56879709]
Quote:

That's why I think that while all non-playoff teams might be in the draft lottery, they will keep it where you can only drop down one spot. Otherwise there will be too much risk of more contraversy, which I'm guessing the league will try to avoid. Anywhere in the top 5 easily gets you a top prospect next draft.

Last edited by KingBogo: 12-28-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: The quoting seems to be a bit off.
Old
12-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Only if there is not a season.

He is talking about the fact that in the new CBA proposal by the League, there will be a change to the draft Lottery that will allow all non-playoff teams a chance at the first overall pick. The wording in the press release does not make it clear if that means teams will be only to slip one pick in the new system, much like the current one, or if the lottery for non-playoff teams will move teams all over the place, ala NBA.
Gawd, i hope not.

I don't mind that teams in the 6-14 range have a small chance at getting the #1 pick, but moving non-playoff teams all over the place is just a stupid system, imo. Most NHL drafts aren't like 2003, or potentially 2013. After the top 3 or 4 prospects, the chances you hit a home-run with your 'later' top 14 pick is truly hit and miss.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:02 AM
truck
HFB Partner

I want an all Swedish draft this year. Well maybe not all Swedish, but lets nab 3 or 4.

I like how Swedes play hockey, especially big Swedes. We can make Winnipeg THE NHL destination for Swedes.
Swedes Swedes Swedes. Swedes are sweet.

The rest of our guys can come from the Q.

EDIT

I do like Lindholm, Burakowsky, and De La Rose, but I never seen Carl Dahlstrom and I want him too!!

Last edited by truck: 01-03-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old
01-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I want an all Swedish draft this year. Well maybe not all Swedish, but lets nab 3 or 4.

I like how Swedes play hockey, especially big Swedes. We can make Winnipeg THE NHL destination for Swedes.
Swedes Swedes Swedes. Swedes are sweet.

The rest of our guys can come from the Q.

EDIT

I do like Lindholm, Burakowsky, and De La Rose, but I never seen Carl Dahlstrom and I want him too!!
Lindholm looks like he'll be a very good player. I would be very happy if we were in position to draft him. I was hoping De La Rose would slip into the 2nd round for us, but that doesn't seem like it will happen.

On the flip side, wasn't very impressed with dman Haag. Seemed to be a bit of a nightmare out there, but he's 17 yr old, so i could give him some slack.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:24 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Lindholm looks like he'll be a very good player. I would be very happy if we were in position to draft him. I was hoping De La Rose would slip into the 2nd round for us, but that doesn't seem like it will happen.

On the flip side, wasn't very impressed with dman Haag. Seemed to be a bit of a nightmare out there, but he's 17 yr old, so i could give him some slack.
I am not high on Haag either.

Also, I want shiny, fast, flashy forwards!!

Old
01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I am not high on Haag either.

Also, I want shiny, fast, flashy forwards!!
Now that raises a question... for me.

Do you need the flashy offensive guy (say PKane's of the world) to win? Or do you win with a solid 2-way guy (the JToews)? Or, as most would agree, you need both or a combination of the two types.

For argument's sake, Edmonton just drafted the shiny, fast, flashy forward(s) - well, arguably three of them - 1st overall, in a row. Will they win with that? Maybe. Or would they need a solid 2-way guy to balance it out.

I think the Oil needs a guy like Lindholm - solid player, positionally strong, more defensive minded, competitive, a guy the coach can put out in the last minute of a game down by a goal or up by a goal - more so than we do. We need the Drouin's, Mackinnons or Shinkaruks of this draft, imo.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Now that raises a question... for me.

Do you need the flashy offensive guy (say PKane's of the world) to win? Or do you win with a solid 2-way guy (the JToews)? Or, as most would agree, you need both or a combination of the two types.

For argument's sake, Edmonton just drafted the shiny, fast, flashy forward(s) - well, arguably three of them - 1st overall, in a row. Will they win with that? Maybe. Or would they need a solid 2-way guy to balance it out.

I think the Oil needs a guy like Lindholm - solid player, positionally strong, more defensive minded, competitive, a guy the coach can put out in the last minute of a game down by a goal or up by a goal - more so than we do. We need the Drouin's, Mackinnons or Shinkaruks of this draft, imo.
I agree. I think you need a mix.

Every good team has a mix, but I see that (flashy) type of player as a need for the Jets.

The Jets have a number of versatile players, but they don't have many that can create their own time and space or carry the puck into the offensive zone with speed. Wheeler does it well. Little can do it. Burmi can do it, but doesn't consistently (if he gets there we may be okay), but I would like another such player and I don't see Scheifele as that guy.

I know Noel likes to run a dump and chase system, but I another forward that can handle the puck comfortably would be nice... and Noel may not be here forever.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
I like the recent cup-winning Bruins and Kings teams. Very solid players up and down the lineup.

I still go by take the best guy there. Whether it's a defenseman, flashy forward, or solid two-way forward. I think the only time you get into trouble is when you have too many flashy forwards.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I like the recent cup-winning Bruins and Kings teams. Very solid players up and down the lineup.

I still go by take the best guy there. Whether it's a defenseman, flashy forward, or solid two-way forward. I think the only time you get into trouble is when you have too many flashy forwards.
I agree, Sweech.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
I think you guys are misunderstanding the NBA draft. Theu do 3 draws for first three picks, then it goes by order. Worst that could happen is moving back 3 spots. I like the system actually.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

I agree with BPA and agree that depth is key, but I want the BPA to be a gifted forward.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:11 PM
steen25
Rookie User

I enjoyed watching the world juniors. (hated the outcome of course) Trouba voted best defenseman of the tourney. He has potential to be the next Chris Pronger ? I think the Jets are looking okay at the defenseman prospects position.

Schiefele showed he has a wicked shot, great passing ability, good attitude and work ethic, BUT...
maybe i was just focused on him being a Jets pick, but MAN he was knocked down and pushed around more than anyone else on the team. He needs to become much stronger on his skates, and a little faster too, or he will take a beating when he starts facing grown men in the NHL.

So, I think the Jets still need to focus on drafting big top skill forwards first. their lack of size and scoring ability showed itself too often last season.

I truly believe the key to success starts with the scouting staff. You just have to look at the Detroit Red Wings organization, and the way they are a perennial contender, every year using the draft and all its rounds to pick high potential future NHLers. They have the best scouting staff in the world, and have consistently shown that it doesnt really matter where you pick if you have done your homework.

Chevy is a very smart man, and he knows this truth, which is why he is sparing nothing to make scouting a priority for the Jets.

Jets version 2 is so many light years better as an organization than version 1. I am very optimistic about the future for our beloved Jets.

Have faith and have patience my friends, Chipman, Zinger and Chevy are going to build us a winner.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:55 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steen25 View Post
I enjoyed watching the world juniors. (hated the outcome of course) Trouba voted best defenseman of the tourney. He has potential to be the next Chris Pronger ? I think the Jets are looking okay at the defenseman prospects position.

Schiefele showed he has a wicked shot, great passing ability, good attitude and work ethic, BUT...
maybe i was just focused on him being a Jets pick, but MAN he was knocked down and pushed around more than anyone else on the team. He needs to become much stronger on his skates, and a little faster too, or he will take a beating when he starts facing grown men in the NHL.

So, I think the Jets still need to focus on drafting big top skill forwards first. their lack of size and scoring ability showed itself too often last season.

I truly believe the key to success starts with the scouting staff. You just have to look at the Detroit Red Wings organization, and the way they are a perennial contender, every year using the draft and all its rounds to pick high potential future NHLers. They have the best scouting staff in the world, and have consistently shown that it doesnt really matter where you pick if you have done your homework.

Chevy is a very smart man, and he knows this truth, which is why he is sparing nothing to make scouting a priority for the Jets.

Jets version 2 is so many light years better as an organization than version 1. I am very optimistic about the future for our beloved Jets.

Have faith and have patience my friends, Chipman, Zinger and Chevy are going to build us a winner.
Interestingly Detroit trades away more 1st round picks than anybody and they haven't gotten much out of their draft picks since 2004.

I know people default to "they develop their players the right way" but that isn't the whole story. They ARE great at development, but I don't think they are that good at drafting.

EDIT

Not saying they are bad, but other teams have had similar or greater success lately.

Then again drafting late every year makes it tough to dominate.

Last edited by truck: 01-05-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Closed Thread