HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
12-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
No one is suggesting eating fast food alone or sugessting that it is an excellent measure towards great health. What I am saying, is that if you're within your caloric range, with proper protein requirements and lifting, it won't make a substantial difference on gains and it won't. Obviously it's unsustainable to eat complete takeout and stay within those ranges and most importantly remain healthy.
I think this debate has taken an odd turn.
Sure, you can get gains if you eat some junk once in a while. Nobody ever said otherwise.
This started because someone suggested nutrition wasn't the most important factor in order to see gains, and his argument was that you can still see gains if you eat junk.
To which I responded, eat junk all the time, see if you make gains.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I've been doing it for 4years, coaching for a bit over 2years. No fad.
The critics are mainly aimed at the lack of safety and programming. So it depends where you do it. Some gyms aren't the best.
But it's not a fad. Not at all.
Yeah, that's exactly what I gathered reading the critics and opinions. It depends where you go. And it's best that you already have a good basic understanding of, and experience with, weight training and such, so that you can at least judge whether a program/exercise sequence makes sense or not. Some places might prescribe not well thought out program that increase the risk of injury.

I have one question though: Does it make sense to incorporate crossfit into your weight training program? For example, I weight train 4-5 times a week and am considering incorporating 1 day of crossfit per week. Would that be too few crossfit to see significant benefit from it? Or, would that risk overtraining?

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:55 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
I have one question though: Does it make sense to incorporate crossfit into your weight training program? For example, I weight train 4-5 times a week and am considering incorporating 1 day of crossfit per week. Would that be too few crossfit to see significant benefit from it? Or, would that risk overtraining?
It depends. What are your goals, what would those workouts look like?

At first, you'll see benefit and progress from just 1 cf session per week; it's a new stress to the body so you don't need to do a lot of it. But after some time you need to do it more often to progress. 2-3 times a week. At least.

If you have been training with weights for 4-5 times a week for long time already you shouldn't risk overtraining if you keep it smart. Cut back the volume one weight training sessions a little, maybe 20% and work back up.

Listen to your body. If you're progressing well, no need to fix it.

People don't get in to overtraining mode by training 5-6 times a week for an hour or so.

They get to it by training 3 hours a day at least for months and months while their body is screaming 'NO'. And sometimes that it's not enough. That's why pro athletes can do it; it's all the other stress from relationships, studying/work, money, family issues, spending too much time at hfboards poll/trade forum that push over the edge.

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Cdizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
"You have to overtrain to know your body's limits"

Try it my friend, if it wears you out too much then make according adjustments.
I think sometimes people overthink things, its all a game of trial and error to see what works best for you.

Cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 07:37 PM
DAChampion

Back in November, a trainer made a program for me to help me lose weight. It was a weight training component to supplement the cardio I was doing.

It was split into three days, calls back, arms, and legs, or something like that, and there was a shoulder exercise on the leg day. Each was 3 or 4 workouts, of 3 or 4 sets each, to be followed by one lower back and one abdominal exercise and then stretches.

Did it make sense that he advised me to pick a weight level such that I would do 15 reps each time?

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Back in November, a trainer made a program for me to help me lose weight. It was a weight training component to supplement the cardio I was doing.

It was split into three days, calls back, arms, and legs, or something like that, and there was a shoulder exercise on the leg day. Each was 3 or 4 workouts, of 3 or 4 sets each, to be followed by one lower back and one abdominal exercise and then stretches.

Did it make sense that he advised me to pick a weight level such that I would do 15 reps each time?
There's this old belief that more reps (15ish) will ''cut'' your body. That's why he probably gave you that amount of reps. It's BS though, cutting will come from nutrition.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:40 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
There's this old belief that more reps (15ish) will ''cut'' your body. That's why he probably gave you that amount of reps. It's BS though, cutting will come from nutrition.
Well, either way, if I'm spending ~6 hours a week at the gym it will matter how I spend the time.

I've been getting a lot of comments from people that 15 reps is a bad idea, I'll have to discuss it with my trainer when I get back to me. One person suggested to me that he's just ignorant. Could be.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Well, either way, if I'm spending ~6 hours a week at the gym it will matter how I spend the time.

I've been getting a lot of comments from people that 15 reps is a bad idea, I'll have to discuss it with my trainer when I get back to me. One person suggested to me that he's just ignorant. Could be.
Nothing is a bad idea if it gets you moving, but as I said, what you need to primarily focus on is your nutrition.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

Don't forget all your ligaments, tendons and muscles have to get acclimatized to working out. I think a lot of people try to lift way too heavy weights way too quickly. I've had friends over the years hurt themselves (especially the shoulder) trying to lift way more then they can handle.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Galchenyuk94

I get better gains from a good pump, 12-15 reps. Legs 15-20. I only train heavy every third-fourth or so workout to help me increase my lifts.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Don't forget all your ligaments, tendons and muscles have to get acclimatized to working out. I think a lot of people try to lift way too heavy weights way too quickly. I've had friends over the years hurt themselves (especially the shoulder) trying to lift way more then they can handle.
Story of most guys just starting out. They rather bench, squat with terrible form with a lot of weight for an ego boost rather than drop the weight and do it right.

When you see a guy with 11 inch biceps curling 35 lbs dumbbells...

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:10 AM
DAChampion

I started a new program last week. I got back into Canberra after some extended travels, I told the trainer I want to lose 20 kg (44 lbs) this year. He said that's very realistic.

The program he gave me is something I have not tried before, so I'm curious how it works out. It's a 4-day workout. It's a Day A,B,C,D program. I think day A is chest and triceps, day 2 is back and biceps, day 3 is legs, and day 4 is abs and shoulders. Each is 4 exercises, preceded by 5 minutes of cardio and followed by 15 minutes of cardio. He said if I come in more than 4 days in a week I can go through the cycle faster or just do cardio days.

Interestingly, he told me to do 3 sets of 12, and he said by the end of the six weeks I should do 4 sets of 8 instead. And I also I drink 20 grams of protein shake (WPI) after every workout, so it seems like more of a muscle gain plan than a weight loss plan. But whatever, every body type is different and responds to stimuli differently, and I have not tried such an intensive weight training program before, so I'm curious to see how it goes.

A funny thing about the protein shake is that it says "gourmet chocolate" on it. I wish it would just say "chocolate-flavoured", I don't like being treated like an idiot. There's nothing gourmet about it.

This is week 2. Last week was week 1 and I ate pretty badly due to a variety of reasons. So far week 2 I'm eating better.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:59 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:

He may not have provided you with a plan for 15 reps because he thinks it's best to help you cut. If you're not a frequent lifter he may have offered this advice to help you become accustom to the lifts with a lighter weight/higher rep scheme to get you accustom to lifting and developing form. If that was his reason, his reasoning is sound imo. Hopefully once you establish form he'll get you off the high rep scheme though.

Many gym goers sacrifice form to lift way more weight than their capable of lifting. Just because your jacked doesn't necessarily mean you know wth you're doing.

If you're a relative beginner I think he provided you with good advice for now.

For a beginner, I would recommend full body workouts over split routines like you're doing with a days rest in between every session. Everybody is different and full body workouts don't seem to have the support they use to, but I've had great success early on with full body routines, you'll typically burn more calories during a full body routine too imo, because you're spreading your lifts over many body parts and can perform each lift at optimal performance. More of preference for me, but I would give it a shot until you become accustom to lifting and then branch out from there.

Last edited by habsfanatics: 01-30-2013 at 07:08 PM.
habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
Story of most guys just starting out. They rather bench, squat with terrible form with a lot of weight for an ego boost rather than drop the weight and do it right.

When you see a guy with 11 inch biceps curling 35 lbs dumbbells...
100% this.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote