HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Trevor Linden or Joe Mullen?

View Poll Results: well
Mullen 46 86.79%
Linden 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
And this is interesting?

1998-99 41 United States WC-Q 3 0 3 3 0

What is WC-Q? Is it qualifying for the World Championship? Long after he retired? Interesting. Anyone know about that when Mullen was 41?
Yeah, that was a strange case and I'll tell you about it. The USA had a horrible showing at the 1998 World Championship. They lost to France. They got relegated and in order to qualify for the tournament again they had to play in this relegation round. Well the NHL guys couldn't help them so they sought out some old retired guys to help them. Neal Broten was another guy who played despite being retired. Well the USA did fine and they survived. In fact, if I remember correctly, the 1999 World Championships determined the seeding at the 2002 Olympics, or something like that. All I remember is that the Americans could have been relegated from the 2002 Olympics had they lost that qualification tournament. Of course, they were the host country so they'd have made it regardless, but can you imagine that, the USA with a heavy roster of NHL players needing to be the "host" just to make the Olympics?

We always expect teams like Germany, Latvia, Poland, Belarus, etc. to be teams relegated but when it happens to one of the bigger countries........look out

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Yeah, that was a strange case and I'll tell you about it. The USA had a horrible showing at the 1998 World Championship. They lost to France. They got relegated and in order to qualify for the tournament again they had to play in this relegation round. Well the NHL guys couldn't help them so they sought out some old retired guys to help them. Neal Broten was another guy who played despite being retired. Well the USA did fine and they survived. In fact, if I remember correctly, the 1999 World Championships determined the seeding at the 2002 Olympics, or something like that. All I remember is that the Americans could have been relegated from the 2002 Olympics had they lost that qualification tournament. Of course, they were the host country so they'd have made it regardless, but can you imagine that, the USA with a heavy roster of NHL players needing to be the "host" just to make the Olympics?

We always expect teams like Germany, Latvia, Poland, Belarus, etc. to be teams relegated but when it happens to one of the bigger countries........look out
That is cool. I looked it up and Broten had 3 goals and 3 assists in 3 games. It must have been fun for them to suit up for 3 important games after being retired. Must have been against 3 pretty poor teams. Did they have to play Germany or Switzerland at least? Any idea who the 3 games the USA played were against?

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:51 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
While Linden was a good leader and a nice guy. Mulled was hard as nails and he played the game clean and racked up the pts

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Sanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
That is cool. I looked it up and Broten had 3 goals and 3 assists in 3 games. It must have been fun for them to suit up for 3 important games after being retired. Must have been against 3 pretty poor teams. Did they have to play Germany or Switzerland at least? Any idea who the 3 games the USA played were against?
I did remember that they played against Estonia (did check other ones were Austria and Kazakstan). There was this weird relegation system in 1998 WHC´s when 6 worst teams from 16 team group had to qualify to next WHC´s (USA was 12. and yes it might have something to do with the olympic relegation).

And for the actual question I really liked Linden but decided not to vote because I haven´t really seen that much of prime Mullen play and the stats are on Mullens side.

Sanf is offline   Reply With Quote