HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2012, 07:44 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I never want to hear travel used as an excuse by the Jackets ever again.
I never want to hear ANY excuses from the Jackets ever again. You can't be challenging the players to fight through adversity while whining about travel, the schedule, no time to practice, injuries, suspensions, referee calls, etc. etc.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:51 AM
db2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
And that's probably the most valid reason to reject this proposal. There's a reason that MLB is going to go against years of tradition by moving Houston to the American League. It's a big deal to players.
Agreed, and I hope that disparity in playoff chances is why they voted it down, because I think they had better have a reason besides just wanting to make a power play. I'm a union guy, unions have helped my family a lot, but at first glance this felt like union obstructionism. Hope it isn't!

Old
01-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

I didn't see CBC Hotstove last night in person, so this could use verification, but...

I saw this post on the Mains where Elliotte Friedman was quoted as saying that the NHLPA team reps did vote on whether to give consent. The vote was 28-2 and it was the CBJ and Detroit who voted in favor of consenting to the new alignment.

If this is true, I have respect for Methot for at least putting the Jackets' interests above NHLPA posturing.

Here's the post on the mains that provided the quote:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4...&postcount=330

Did anyone watch the CBC feed yesterday to verify this?

Old
01-08-2012, 10:17 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I didn't see CBC Hotstove last night in person, so this could use verification, but...

I saw this post on the Mains where Elliotte Friedman was quoted as saying that the NHLPA team reps did vote on whether to give consent. The vote was 28-2 and it was the CBJ and Detroit who voted in favor of consenting to the new alignment.

If this is true, I have respect for Methot for at least putting the Jackets' interests above NHLPA posturing.

When I read Porty's piece in Puck Raker's about this yesterday, I had the impression Methot voted against it, but re-reading it this morning, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Blue Jackets defenseman Marc Methot, the club’s NHLPA player representative, voted acknowledged the plan would have benefitted Columbus.

“We, as a team, were in favor of the realignment,” Methot said. “But from a league standpoint, we all felt we were not getting enough information and data regarding the changes.”
Did he vote for or against it? I have no idea reading this. I'll ask Porty on twitter.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
01-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Edit: The wording in several different reports is a bit confusing. The Dispatch quote that I pointed out says, "voted against approving the plan." Some blog posts refer to it as voting for. This may be where the lack of clarity is.

We talked about this in the GDT yesterday. In the print edition of yesterdays paper was the quote that I outlined. That quote was missing from the Puckraker (same article).

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4...9&postcount=92

Last edited by Jaxs: 01-08-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old
01-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
We talked about this in the GDT yesterday. In the print edition of yesterdays paper was the quote that I outlined. That quote was missing from the Puckraker (same article).

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4...9&postcount=92
Yes, the CBC hotstove is available online so I just watched it:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...84598953&tab=1

At about the 2:30 mark, Elliotte Friedman says there was a vote, the results were 28-2 in favor of denying consent. The two for the realignment were CBJ and Detroit.

This is a different scenario than originally put forth by Porty in the print edition, as you point out, that Methot voted against realignment. It also goes against Porty's tweet yesterday:
Quote:
#CBJ D Marc Methot said there was not a club-by-club NHLPA vote regarding realignment.
Not sure which is right, but Friedman is usually pretty reliable. It doesn't change anything, but as I said, I appreciate Methot's decision to go against the grain in support of realignment.

I don't understand this though: why the heck did the Winnipeg and Dallas reps vote against realignment???

Old
01-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Somewhere there is a discrepancy in what Elliot Friedman is saying, (The vote was 28-2 among the Players Association. The two teams that voted in favour of realignment were Detroit and Columbus), and the Dispatch article from Saturday written by Portzline with the following (Blue Jackets defenseman Mark Methot, the club's player representative, voted against approving the plan, even though he acknowledged it would have benefitted his team).

Old
01-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Steeltown Jacket
FanFromPensTerritory

So is this officially official? Is it just a bump in the road for realignment?

Are still going to see the current divisional lineup for 2012-2013 and Winnipeg in the SE still?

Old
01-08-2012, 04:04 PM
HuntKop
614 Wing Columbus

Quote:
I don't understand this though: why the heck did the Winnipeg and Dallas reps vote against realignment???
I can only speak for the Jets camp, but word is that Hainsey was, like many of the other players, less than pleased with the lack of full disclosure shown by the league in this instance. It felt to some like the NHL set a deadline by which the players had to respond to the proposed realignment, then failed to provide full information (sample schedule, for instance).

Some Jets fans had the same question though, and I would expect that Hainsey will have a pretty good target on his back from the fans if the CBA discussions get ugly.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:54 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown Jacket View Post
So is this officially official? Is it just a bump in the road for realignment?

Are still going to see the current divisional lineup for 2012-2013 and Winnipeg in the SE still?
This is official, and next year will be exactly like this year in terms of alignment.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
This is official, and next year will be exactly like this year in terms of alignment.
That's the threat, but not everyone is buying it.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntKop View Post
I can only speak for the Jets camp, but word is that Hainsey was, like many of the other players, less than pleased with the lack of full disclosure shown by the league in this instance. It felt to some like the NHL set a deadline by which the players had to respond to the proposed realignment, then failed to provide full information (sample schedule, for instance).

Some Jets fans had the same question though, and I would expect that Hainsey will have a pretty good target on his back from the fans if the CBA discussions get ugly.
If this were the case, the NHLPA would have saved an awful lot of face if this had been said within 24 hours of the plan being announced over a month ago. Nothing too complicated, just something like "We're going to review it, but currently we have a couple of concerns that we'd like to sit down and discuss with the league."

Personally, I don't believe for a second that the NHLPA is so horribly inept from a PR standpoint to have not recognized that doing something like that would have created a much different reaction from the fans as a whole. Thus, we can only conclude that the rejection of realignment, followed then by this crap about "player concerns", was nothing more than a petty ****-measuring contest instigated by Donald Fehr.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:37 PM
HuntKop
614 Wing Columbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
If this were the case, the NHLPA would have saved an awful lot of face if this had been said within 24 hours of the plan being announced over a month ago. Nothing too complicated, just something like "We're going to review it, but currently we have a couple of concerns that we'd like to sit down and discuss with the league."

Personally, I don't believe for a second that the NHLPA is so horribly inept from a PR standpoint to have not recognized that doing something like that would have created a much different reaction from the fans as a whole. Thus, we can only conclude that the rejection of realignment, followed then by this crap about "player concerns", was nothing more than a petty ****-measuring contest instigated by Donald Fehr.
I actually agree wholeheartedly with you. I just don't trust the guy (D. Fehr). The reality is, they (he?) saw this as a "chip," and the lack of information was an opportunity to try to swing opinion in their favor. He's a dirtbag who is incredibly skilled in dirty politics, and who seems completely unable to negotiate in good faith.

Edit: I fully believe that the NHL knew exactly what would happen if they left off some key information. Both sides are dirty, and as usual the fans lose.

Last edited by HuntKop: 01-08-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old
01-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Anybody else waiting for the NHL to threaten contraction in their next salvo to the NHLPA? Cut 2 teams and the playoff problem of uneven conferences is quickly fixed. I can't wait to see all the threads about how Columbus should be cut.

That said, while I never would wish contraction on any city, is it wrong to wonder if we could take Maloney and Tippett if the NHL decided to cash in their chips in Phoenix and cut losses?

Old
01-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Anybody else waiting for the NHL to threaten contraction in their next salvo to the NHLPA? Cut 2 teams and the playoff problem of uneven conferences is quickly fixed. I can't wait to see all the threads about how Columbus should be cut.

That said, while I never would wish contraction on any city, is it wrong to wonder if we could take Maloney and Tippett if the NHL decided to cash in their chips in Phoenix and cut losses?
I doubt Bettman will contract, afterall, the NHL is in the business of making money and one can't make money with fewer teams. I'm thinking expansion regardless of the talent dilution issue, 32 teams would work fine as far as seeding goes.

Hartford/KC/Oklahoma and Quebec... Phoenix is not going anywhere imo but they could be in the mix, to many snowbirds out there.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:44 PM
thos

What about a temporary fix to switch Winnipeg and Columbus until full realignment can be worked out? It would really help two financially struggling teams and, therefore the league.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thos View Post
What about a temporary fix to switch Winnipeg and Columbus until full realignment can be worked out? It would really help two financially struggling teams and, therefore the league.
Sounds great to 95% of the posters on the CBJ boards, but there's too much opposition elsewhere (Detroit, especially)

Old
01-09-2012, 10:35 PM
CBJ103

Quote:
Originally Posted by thos View Post
Is Winnipeg the 2nd financially struggling team you are referring to? I was under the impression that they had a well-financed new ownership group and sold out their season tickets within minutes.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:21 PM
blahblah

Quote:
No chance in hell. You think the NHLPA complained about realignment, wait until they try and contract. That's 40+ player jobs gone with a potential cap hit of 120+ million.

Why is it only the fans talk about contraction?

Old
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
No chance in hell. You think the NHLPA complained about realignment, wait until they try and contract. That's 40+ player jobs gone with a potential cap hit of 120+ million.

Exactly. We're FAR more likely to be looking at expanding by 2 teams.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Because hockey is the only sport where large numbers of people, including large numbers of media types, believe that the sport simply should not exist in certain geographic areas. The location of said areas, of course, is known only to those within that inner circle.

All I know is, we're not in it, and therefore never can be no matter what.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Exactly. We're FAR more likely to be looking at expanding by 2 teams.

I agree that expansion is the most likely endgame in the future, preferably when the economy is a bit better. But, I would not be at all surprised to hear the NHL threaten contraction as the CBA negotiations commence in ernest. Because they own the Coyotes, if Glendale stopped chipping in for the bills, it could be more profitable to contract Phoenix and then expand to Quebec City or wherever a year or two later. I don't think the NHL is going to foot the whole bill for the Coyotes next year, and it may be easier to adjust the schedule by dropping a team than it is to plop Quebec or wherever into the Pacific.

Expansion fees are more lucrative than relocation fees, plus it would be a pretty good hammer to wield against the NHLPA who would get significant pushback from their members if it was a real possibility.

My comment was partially tongue-in-cheek (the stuff about stealing Tippet/Maloney), but I just have a bad feeling that this is going to be another no-holds-barred negotiation.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:26 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Because hockey is the only sport where large numbers of people, including large numbers of media types, believe that the sport simply should not exist in certain geographic areas. The location of said areas, of course, is known only to those within that inner circle.

All I know is, we're not in it, and therefore never can be no matter what.
Not entirely true. Much of the world loathes the idea of the U.S. someday becoming good at soccer. Mention MLS or the US National Team in Europe and you'll quickly have someone looking down their nose at you. But your point certainly applies to hockey in Ohio.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:29 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
I agree that expansion is the most likely endgame in the future, preferably when the economy is a bit better. But, I would not be at all surprised to hear the NHL threaten contraction as the CBA negotiations commence in ernest. Because they own the Coyotes, if Glendale stopped chipping in for the bills, it could be more profitable to contract Phoenix and then expand to Quebec City or wherever a year or two later. I don't think the NHL is going to foot the whole bill for the Coyotes next year, and it may be easier to adjust the schedule by dropping a team than it is to plop Quebec or wherever into the Pacific.

Expansion fees are more lucrative than relocation fees, plus it would be a pretty good hammer to wield against the NHLPA who would get significant pushback from their members if it was a real possibility.

My comment was partially tongue-in-cheek (the stuff about stealing Tippet/Maloney), but I just have a bad feeling that this is going to be another no-holds-barred negotiation.
Even though I expect to see expansion before contraction, I fear you may be right.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:13 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Bump

If the season is saved. The NHL suggests moving the CBJ to the Eastern Conference Southeast division and moving the Jets to our spot in the Central.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=802

Jets to the Western Conference and Central, Jackets to Southeast in the Eastern for this year.

Closed Thread