HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Albany Devils Games (PART II)

Old
12-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Larsson's been playing with Leach at evens lately and it's really too bad. Also, judging by last night, Larsson looks for deflections a lot from the point and that probably contributes to low shot totals.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Can someone fill me in on Larsson's game this year in Albany? Is he playing heavy minutes, PP/PK minutes, does he look like a stud/solid/just average ?!?!?!

Thanks
He's doing pretty good. Some games he looks average defensively, but mostly he seems to be pretty good, and looks too good for the league. I think he plays some PK, but I know he's been playing a lot of PP minutes. He's actually either second or third on the team in points behind Butler, and Josefson. He was actually first before Butler woke up, and started his hot streak.

2 goals/14 assists/16 points in 27 games. That's pretty good on an Albany team that's regularly been shutout or held to 1 or 2 goals a game for the most part.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
He's doing pretty good. Some games he looks average defensively, but mostly he seems to be pretty good, and looks too good for the league. I think he plays some PK, but I know he's been playing a lot of PP minutes. He's actually either second or third on the team in points behind Butler, and Josefson. He was actually first before Butler woke up, and started his hot streak.

2 goals/14 assists/16 points in 27 games. That's pretty good on an Albany team that's regularly been shutout or held to 1 or 2 goals a game for the most part.
I have not seen many Albany games this season, but those that I did, I'd like to see Adam play with more urgency/fire/assertion in the offensive zone.
And also look to score more, he has a good shot and needs confidence to use it more often.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Yes, absolutely. Never a good idea to use one game to try and project a full career.
How was the crowd last night, any other Devils fans there?

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
I have not seen many Albany games this season, but those that I did, I'd like to see Adam play with more urgency/fire/assertion in the offensive zone.
And also look to score more, he has a good shot and needs confidence to use it more often.
I'd like to see more goals from our defensemen. NHL team I'm talking here. Our D was outscored by the Isles D last year. And I'm sure they will outscore ours again if we play this year with the addition of Visnovsky. I use them as an example, because they were one of the lowest scoring teams last year.

I bet you wouldn't believe me if I told you the Blue Jackets defensemen outscored ours last year. They did 33-16. We definitely have one of the lowest scoring D in the league, and getting them to score more can make up more scoring than you think.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:55 PM
kiwidevil

How many more goals do their "scoring" D cost them?

The Isles and Jackets can keep there D scoring. We will stick with the playoffs.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:04 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'd like to see more goals from our defensemen. NHL team I'm talking here. Our D was outscored by the Isles D last year. And I'm sure they will outscore ours again if we play this year with the addition of Visnovsky. I use them as an example, because they were one of the lowest scoring teams last year.

I bet you wouldn't believe me if I told you the Blue Jackets defensemen outscored ours last year. They did 33-16. We definitely have one of the lowest scoring D in the league, and getting them to score more can make up more scoring than you think.
there was an article few years ago about cup winners and production from the D. (cant find it)

even though the devils didnt win the cup they bucked the trend last season getting so far as they did with the 'no name D'.......helped that salvador went on a tear in the post season i guess.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
How was the crowd last night, any other Devils fans there?
Crowd was alright, but really quiet. I saw maybe 15-20 Devils fans while walking around the arena.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post

The Isles and Jackets can keep there D scoring. We will stick with the playoffs.
LOL I didn't say I want their defensemen. I said we need more scoring from our D. We can do that with what we have I think. Volchenkov isn't gonna score much, Fayne has some scoring touch. Larsson is capable, Tallinder scored 5 goals in 10/11, Harrold a little maybe, Sal can score 4 goals a year, Zidlicky, but we likely won't have him after this year. Greene regularly was scoring a half a dozen goals a year, but he really isn't used on the PP anymore.

I'm just saying it's one thing we can do, one small thing to bring up scoring without even adding a forward. If every D man scored 5 goals a year that's 30 goals right there. In an 82 game season of course. Someone like Volchenkov can score 2 if he's lucky, and maybe someone else gets 7 instead of 5 to compensate.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:33 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post

There's nothing wrong with improving one of our biggest weaknesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils1982 View Post
there was an article few years ago about cup winners and production from the D. (cant find it)

even though the devils didnt win the cup they bucked the trend last season getting so far as they did with the 'no name D'.......helped that salvador went on a tear in the post season i guess.
It's just common sense. If you have blueliners that can score, you just open up the slot cause the opposing wingers have to respect the fact that we score from the point. Moving the puck in the offensive zone becomes alot easier since the passing lanes are bigger and wider as well.

Right now, opposing teams are cheating a little since they know 3/4 of our defense can't shoot for ****, so they collapse down low quicker to prevent our forwards from shooting from the slot. Just like in any sport, if you know a certain player is a non threat, you leave him open knowing he'll get the puck/ball and when he does shoot, it's mainly a turnover.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Just to clarify. For me this isn't about ripping on who we have on D, or making fun of Volchenkov's minimal offensive output. Colin White, and Ken Daneyko were part of legendary defensive corps, and don't even have 60 goals combined in their career. I feel it's a legit need, and I even remember a lot of people talking about it last year.

Larsson, and Fayne were the only defensemen that even had goals the first 41+ games of the season unless you count Urbom who was a call up. I'm not trying to derail this, but the talk of production with Larsson in the AHL is what brought it up.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:39 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I'm streaming tonight's game vs Bingo - drop by for more details: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=56877015

Typically during intermission we watching CBC Marketplace or clips of To Catch a Predator. Any other suggestions are welcome.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
I'm streaming tonight's game vs Bingo - drop by for more details: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=56877015

Typically during intermission we watching CBC Marketplace or clips of To Catch a Predator. Any other suggestions are welcome.
You're a gem.

Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:33 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Definitely TCAP

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Larsson with a great pinch, nearly creates a goal, does create a powerplay.

Edit: now we're going on a 5-3 after Dziurzynski hammers Whitney into the boards from behind. Whitney looking pretty awkward on his skates, going to the dressing room. Five minute major and possibly a game misconduct, so we're going on a long 5-3 to be followed by a lengthy 5-4.

Edit 2: Goal from Bobby Butler on the 5-3! Nice feed from Gelinas, good work all around from the PP unit (Larsson, Gelinas, Butler, Pesonen, Josefson).

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Buggsy

whitney got squashed. 5 min major and a misconduct.

Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Pretty good PP by the second powerplay unit, but no scoring. Zalewski hit the post. Bringing back the first unit now.

Edit: pretty impressed by the first unit, Josefson, Larsson, and Pesonen all look dangerous on the ice.

Edit 2: second powerplay unit comes back, nearly produces a goal, but can't quite finish.

Edit 3: first unit is back and once again dominates possession, nearly produces a goal. Powerplay expires and the Devils only manage the one tally on the 5-3 and then the three and a half minute 5-4.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Thanks for the stream Sens guys!

Man I know what you guys were saying about Larsson shooting for deflections. He just tried it, and missed Josefson. Should just try, and get it through himself. Our NHL team didn't have much luck with Ben Bishop.

Oops it's not Bishop. It's Robin Lehner. Another big Nilsson/Bishop looking guy. They aren't gonna be able to beat this blimp with that stuff play they just tried as the PP ended.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:25 PM
FirmestPiano

Larsson is QBing the PP pretty well me thinks.

FirmestPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Tyler Eckford (who is now on Binghampton, in case you're confused) just collapsed skating into the corner and fell on the puck. They blew the play dead, but Eckford seems to be fine.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
Larsson is QBing the PP pretty well me thinks.
Albany's powerplay is a lot more mobile than the NHL version. It has more of a constant cycle. Josefson controls a lot of the play down low the way Elias does for NJ, but Josefson doesn't hang out at the circles, he's always moving around the ice.

Edit: going back on the powerplay, hooking penalty, hoping our PP units keep up their solid play and produce a goal.

Edit 2: second unit is out with Larsson instead of Burlon, looked pretty hapless. Very stationary this time. Two quick clears, a lot of passes between Larsson and Urbom which reminded me of Kovy and the RD on NJ's powerplay.

Edit 3: wow, they just showed the replay on what drew the hooking powerplay, and Larsson pulled an absolutely awesome skating move to completely fake the pants off the forward pressuring him.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Wooo nice spin move by Larsson.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point Man View Post
Came to post this lol

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Very one-sided period. 13-2 shot advantage for Albany.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Edit 3: wow, they just showed the replay on what drew the hooking powerplay, and Larsson pulled an absolutely awesome skating move to completely fake the pants off the forward pressuring him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Came to post this lol

Was it better than this?

So obviously I have a question. Has his skating improved?

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote