HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIII

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 02:26 PM
ZenMaster*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
@feebs: Thanks for making the McNally and Price videos. Terrific work. Really liking Price's two-way, all-around capabilities.

It's expected that he produce though, at lower levels. Even grinders or checking forwards in the NHL have to put up decent numbers in the minors for them to have had a shot at making it.

So eventually, he's going to have to earn that top line ice-time with his play. Unless a K-wings fan comes in here and tells us how he's been playing, no one can really say for certain whether he's deserved that opportunity. But it seems like he could be starting to turn it around.

Another thing is that I'm not sure the Canucks' influence extends that far down... seems like they're just content to let K-zoo do their own thing, and ask them to accommodate their prospects if they're sent down to the E.

We could probably look at Kesler for this. Was he used in a checking-only role when he was with the Moose? He was PPG in his last season in Manitoba, so I'm pretty sure he played on one of the top 2 lines.
Kesler was being groomed for a top six forward position. The recent example I can think of is Alexandre Bolduc, he was a bottom six forward on the Moose and would be the first call-up whenever a bottom-six player on the Canucks was injured. AV also stated Bolduc is being groomed for the 4C position.

Bolduc has the skill to be a top six forward on the Moose but was given different responsibilities because Canucks expected him to be a bottom six player. He is now being utilized as top six forward in the AHL and has put up admirable numbers and top 10 in scoring.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:46 PM
KRM

Tömmernes 2+1 in a 3-2 win today.

Edit: Highlights

Last edited by KRM: 12-28-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Interestingly enough, after going -4 and 0 points through first 5 games, he now has 2 points and is +3 in his last 3 games. That said, he's still on their 3rd line which is frustrating. I don't understand why he's not getting a better chance than that. He was holding his own better than Friesen in the AHL, there is no way he's not better than a 3rd liner in the ECHL.
Are you implying that we have another coach out there trying to sabotage our prospects?

Old
12-28-2012, 06:30 PM
thefeebster

Guys a reminder: OHL and WHL Livestream is free tonight and tomorrow.

Gaunce, McEneny, and Corrado in action tonight. Chop chop get on it.

I'll be watching Belleville VS Guelph. Then try to catch the other two on archives later tonight.

----------------

1st Period
-Gaunce is part of the 1st PK Unit, looked good, had a long stick and was swinging it to disrupt play.
-Crashed the net on one rush, almost got a tap in but the goalie got across in time.
-Can see why Belleville's PP is not very good. Not very dynamic and passes get picked off easily. Gaunce was the man in front of the net.
-Was cycling down low and made a nice short pass to the man in front of the net. He got the lone assist on the play.
-Belleville is outworking Guelph easily and more physical. But i will say, Dickinson has been the most noticable.

Last edited by thefeebster: 12-28-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Guys a reminder: OHL and WHL Livestream is free tonight and tomorrow.

Gaunce, McEneny, and Corrado in action tonight. Chop chop get on it.

I'll be watching Belleville VS Guelph. Then try to catch the other two on archives later tonight.
Watching the Wolves game right now. Is there supposed to be no audio?

Old
12-28-2012, 07:06 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Watching the Wolves game right now. Is there supposed to be no audio?
I just switched over since my game is in intermission. I get some audio on the Wolves one. Its just very quiet and there is like reverb on it. I found the same whenever i watched highlights for Sudbury. They don't have a TV deal, so their broadcasts tend to be poorer.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
I just switched over since my game is in intermission. I get some audio on the Wolves one. Its just very quiet and there is like reverb on it. I found the same whenever i watched highlights for Sudbury. They don't have a TV deal, so their broadcasts tend to be poorer.
Now the site isn't even working for me now. The live games don't show up.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:15 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Now the site isn't even working for me now. The live games don't show up.
The WJC has peaked people's interest in hockey again, pair that with the word "free" and it was a given for the site to crash.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:24 PM
thefeebster

Mine still works... I've been using chrome. It was laggy before but its been smooth sailing for the past 30 minutes.

Gaunce wins a lot of faceoffs. He just won one on the PK and won it back to his D. His D dumped the puck in from the Bulls blueline and somehow it bounced off the stanchion and into the net since the goaltender went out of the net. Terrible goal....

But Gaunce picks up his second assist.

-----

2nd Period
Gaunce looks his best on the PK. When the FO is in the def zone, i've yet to see him lose the draw and that kills a lot of time. Then his D take a stupid penalty, making it a 5 on 3. Gaunce takes a breather on the bench... Bulls lose the faceoff and the Storm score. Gaunce back out there after that, still 5 on 4. He intercepts a pass and skates it down the ice. Then came back and a storm player was jamming it into their goalie. Gaunce took offense to that and knocked him down behind the net and kept pushing him around.

Not sure if i caught perhaps Gaunce's best game or something, but he looks good tonight. On the PP, he is the man in front of the net, pushed off a defender to get free. Was all alone in the slot, received a pass, dangled forehand backhand and in. That's his 11th goal of the year. 3 point night so far.

Last edited by thefeebster: 12-28-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 07:59 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Mine still works... I've been using chrome. It was laggy before but its been smooth sailing for the past 30 minutes.

Gaunce wins a lot of faceoffs. He just won one on the PK and won it back to his D. His D dumped the puck in from the Bulls blueline and somehow it bounced off the stanchion and into the net since the goaltender went out of the net. Terrible goal....

But Gaunce picks up his second assist.

-----

2nd Period
Gaunce looks his best on the PK. When the FO is in the def zone, i've yet to see him lose the draw and that kills a lot of time. Then his D take a stupid penalty, making it a 5 on 3. Gaunce takes a breather on the bench... Bulls lose the faceoff and the Storm score. Gaunce back out there after that, still 5 on 4. He intercepts a pass and skates it down the ice. Then came back and a storm player was jamming it into their goalie. Gaunce took offense to that and knocked him down behind the net and kept pushing him around.

Not sure if i caught perhaps Gaunce's best game or something, but he looks good tonight. On the PP, he is the man in front of the net, pushed off a defender to get free. Was all alone in the slot, received a pass, dangled forehand backhand and in. That's his 11th goal of the year. 3 point night so far.
Sounds like a great game.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:16 PM
hockeykid87

Gaunce is having a hell of a game.

I've been to a handful of Bulls games this year and the one major knock on Gaunce is his foot speed, the guy isn't very quick. When he wants to get a quick shot off, he does, has a good release. Seems like he wants to use his teammates a little too much sometimes, which he shouldn't because 90% of them are garbage.

I've talked to him after games on a few occasions too, he's a pretty quiet guy. Gives the standard answers on interviews, and I'm pretty sure he hates me because I've interviewed him so much

Old
12-28-2012, 08:59 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
He wasn't really close to PPG, he had 58 pts through 78 games. Still though your point is valid, he would have likely had to play on the 2nd line to put up those numbers.
My bad, I think that was Burrows who was PPG and not Kesler. I remembered wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Kesler was being groomed for a top six forward position. The recent example I can think of is Alexandre Bolduc, he was a bottom six forward on the Moose and would be the first call-up whenever a bottom-six player on the Canucks was injured. AV also stated Bolduc is being groomed for the 4C position.

Bolduc has the skill to be a top six forward on the Moose but was given different responsibilities because Canucks expected him to be a bottom six player. He is now being utilized as top six forward in the AHL and has put up admirable numbers and top 10 in scoring.
Bolduc seems to have become a reliable scorer in the AHL level, but that's unlikely to be the same if he makes it to the bigs. As for Mallet though, he's also going to have to produce to move up to the AHL again like Archibald did.

And I don't think he's going to be able to put up big numbers playing on their 3rd line, even if he is being groomed to play a defensive role in future. IMO that's going to happen more with the Wolves than in the E anyway. You always want to see some level of offense in lower leagues for some of it to translate when they move up.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:23 PM
thefeebster

Gaunce continuing his good weekend. Half way through the game so far, at the end of the first, he bowled over a Kitchener defender, knocked him on his back side. In the 2nd, he made a nice passing play on a 3 on 1, but his linemate couldn't handle the pass. Gaunce created a few chances on the PP, definitely looks to pass than shoot.

Draws a penalty by working hard in front of the net for a rebound. Then on the PP, parked in front of the net, gets away from the defender and tips in a point shot with 10 seconds left in the period for his 12th goal on the year.

If this is how Gaunce plays normally, we should be estatic.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:35 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Gaunce continuing his good weekend. Half way through the game so far, at the end of the first, he bowled over a Kitchener defender, knocked him on his back side. In the 2nd, he made a nice passing play on a 3 on 1, but his linemate couldn't handle the pass. Gaunce created a few chances on the PP, definitely looks to pass than shoot.

Draws a penalty by working hard in front of the net for a rebound. Then on the PP, parked in front of the net, gets away from the defender and tips in a point shot with 10 seconds left in the period for his 12th goal on the year.

So much hockey online right now, I can't keep up.

Watching Chicago on TV and watching Pacific vs Russia U17.

That game from the other night, can you tell me if guelph was using Dickinson at C?

How'd he look (you can answer in the draft thread if you want).

How's McEneny look?

Old
12-29-2012, 07:37 PM
BerSTUzzi

Honzik was peppered by Halifax today...saved 32 of 35 shots. He seems to be playing a lot better.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Gaunce wasn't like this earlier. He seemed way more passive. Channelling Pyatt. Perhaps this is him bouncing back from his injury?

The thing I like about him is his underrated vision. He plays in straight lines, but has the awareness to look for people as well. This is what makes me believe he can get to 2nd line status one day.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
NCAA back in action tonight.

Ben Hutton with one assist as Maine is tied 3-3 with Cornell in the 2nd, he was also given a 10 minute misconduct. Now has 7 points in 16 games.

Wes Myron and BU play in Denver tonight. The game starts soon and is being shown on NESN in case anyone has access to that channel.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:06 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
How's McEneny look?
Barely noticed him, good or bad, but he seems to be playing a lot. Would like to see him take charge of the offense since Murphy is not there. Kitcheners not generating much in terms of scoring chances and Graham is stopping anything that comes at him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Gaunce wasn't like this earlier. He seemed way more passive. Channelling Pyatt. Perhaps this is him bouncing back from his injury?

The thing I like about him is his underrated vision. He plays in straight lines, but has the awareness to look for people as well. This is what makes me believe he can get to 2nd line status one day.
I think that may just be what was shown in the video I made but he's looking good this weekend. He's pushing the play, looking good at both ends of the rink. Very smart in his play and positioning.

Picks up an assist, made a short pass from behind the net, then moved to the front of the net, providing a screen for a Bulls shot and they score.

Two more scoring chances. Took a slapper at the circle and one off the rush by crashing the net.

Won every faceoff in the 3rd. Was on for the entire last minute of play when Kitchener pulled their goalie. His two linemates both had clear shots at the empty net and Gaunce could have tapped in the 2nd shot! I don't know why he didn't! Pad those stats man!

Last edited by thefeebster: 12-29-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 08:44 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Honzik was peppered by Halifax today...saved 32 of 35 shots. He seems to be playing a lot better.
That's good, it's too bad he's way behind the rest of his third round 2011 draft mates.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
That's good, it's too bad he's way behind the rest of his third round 2011 draft mates.
doubt this guy will signed by the Canucks by next year. probably gonna end of signing with some Czech league since no NHL team will be interested once he is available on waivers.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
doubt this guy will signed by the Canucks by next year. probably gonna end of signing with some Czech league since no NHL team will be interested once he is available on waivers.
U mean as a free agent or in the draft instead of waivers?

Old
12-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Tiranis

Honzik is not the first goalie to struggle after being drafted and then to still turn out decent. Goalie development is far from linear and the Q is horrible for goalie's stats. Not convinced that he can be judged just yet.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I think that may just be what was shown in the video I made but he's looking good this weekend. He's pushing the play, looking good at both ends of the rink. Very smart in his play and positioning.

Picks up an assist, made a short pass from behind the net, then moved to the front of the net, providing a screen for a Bulls shot and they score.

Two more scoring chances. Took a slapper at the circle and one off the rush by crashing the net.

Won every faceoff in the 3rd. Was on for the entire last minute of play when Kitchener pulled their goalie. His two linemates both had clear shots at the empty net and Gaunce could have tapped in the 2nd shot! I don't know why he didn't! Pad those stats man!

Nope, nothing to do with your video... He looked too passive earlier on. Still played smart, but held back. Now it seems he's fully back from his shoulder injury, although I missed this game so I will have to take your word for it.

I'm curious to see how Gaunce's size will translate to the NHL. He's as wide as he is big, so I'm hopeful he will still be a physical stand-out in the pros, like he is in the OHL. If it does, it could mean great things for him and the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Honzik is not the first goalie to struggle after being drafted and then to still turn out decent. Goalie development is far from linear and the Q is horrible for goalie's stats. Not convinced that he can be judged just yet.

I think VAN will sign Honzik. Gillis has bought into his development process and Honzik still is pretty raw. They will give him the chance to develop in house IMO.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:03 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Gaunce was first star two games in a row too btw

Old
12-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Intoewsables

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I think VAN will sign Honzik. Gillis has bought into his development process and Honzik still is pretty raw. They will give him the chance to develop in house IMO.
The only problem I'd have with signing Honzik is that he'd have to be given a 3 year ELC (under the expired CBA at least, doubt that will be reduced under a new one). If he struggles mightily at the pro level, do we really want him for 3 years?

Closed Thread