HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Wrestling
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Where does John Cena rank on an all time list?

Old
12-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I'd go with top 10. He's been the WWE's main draw for the better part of a decade at this point, and I'm sure he's got more than 2-3 years left. Good in the ring and on the mic (for the most part).

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 07:33 PM
M4TR1X
SENSational User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Behind for sure:

Hulk Hogan
The Rock
Austin
Dre' the Giant
Shawn Michaels
Bret Hart
Undertaker
Khali
Triple H
Flair
Not sure if trolling or just has much love for the big guy.

TWITTER:@M4TR1X2
M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:21 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
not top 10 for me...
but top 15-20 for sure.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:11 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
there's really only one way to settle this....

a poll ranking the top 20 of all-time?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:17 AM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
John Cena is like a Bob Backlund, Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels, he was put into a position to be the guy when he simply isn't able to pull it off beyond the base of the promotion's audience (The kids in Cena's case). I'm not saying Cena has the athleticism of those 3, I prefer all of them over Cena, but that is his sort of card drawing power, he draws, but not enough. WWE has made money with Cena, sure, but its role in popular culture has shrank significantly.

He's a slump main eventer, not on the level of Rock, Flair, Savage and Austin, and certainly not on the level of Andre or Hogan.
LOL

As much as I dislike Cena's currently character, this is completely off base.

He IS at the level of a Rock, Austin, and Flair simply because he's been pushing merch CONSISTENTLY and has been the main draw since 2005 - a feat neither Rock nor Austin accomplished (staying power).

WWE would be on life support right now if it wasn't for Cena. This forum needs to look past its blind hatred of Cena and view this objectively from a business standpoint. Hell, Cena get significant amounts of applause AND boos everywhere he goes - some of the IWC darlings can't even pull off decent reactions.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:05 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
LOL

He IS at the level of a Rock, Austin, and Flair simply because he's been pushing merch CONSISTENTLY and has been the main draw since 2005 - a feat neither Rock nor Austin accomplished (staying power).

WWE would be on life support right now if it wasn't for Cena. This forum needs to look past its blind hatred of Cena and view this objectively from a business standpoint. Hell, Cena get significant amounts of piped in applause AND boos everywhere he goes - some of the IWC darlings can't even pull off decent reactions.
You forgot something.

IWC darlings not being able to pull off decent reactions? There are a few people on here that can vouch for WWE drowning out cheers on TV. Not comparing Brad Maddox to Cena, but for somebody who had the arena chanting his name last week, it didn't come across that way on TV.

But to answer the original question: he's definitely not top 10, and I'm sure if I put some thought into this, there's probably another 5 people that could be placed above him, putting Cena somewhere between 15-20.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Considering most of the all time lists are made by drawing money, you have to put Cena somewhere near the top.

Hogan
Londos
GG
Austin
Hackenschmidt
Rock
Cena
Inoki

And thats off the top of my head. Bret Hart is nowhere near the top of any all time list if drawing money was the main reason, as he was one of the worst drawing champs ever to go along with Michaels and Nash as the trinity of drawing failure.

That being said, nobody can take away the fact that Cena is money.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:33 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Near the top in drawing money (inflation has helped him), maybe top twenty of promo/mic work, and nothing special to merit being on a top workers list.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Dean Ambrose
k

vCash: 133
Cena's slowly losing his (TV) drawing power too. All you have to see is the breakdowns for Raw and you can see that people are starting to tune out when he comes on television.

I never thought I was a bad person. I just thought I was the one good person living in a world of bad people.
Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:00 PM
The Shockmaster
AKA SheamusFan

vCash: 450
It's really difficult to make an "all-time" list. What do you rank by? Drawing power? In-ring? Total package? Cultural influence?

The Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:04 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheamusFan View Post
It's really difficult to make an "all-time" list. What do you rank by? Drawing power? In-ring? Total package? Cultural influence?
can't you take everything into consideration?

drawing power
in-ring ability
promo work
etc.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:32 PM
The Shockmaster
AKA SheamusFan

It is very difficult to make a list for all of that.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Although it would be tough to make such a list, I wonder what names would come up if all eras, all territories, technical skills, mic skills, look, gimmicks, experience, etc.... where taken into account.

It might be interesting to see where legends and past wrestlers might place against current guys.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Dean Ambrose
k

Where would people rank Kurt Angle on an all time list factoring in in-ring work, drawing ability, promo work, etc?

Old
12-28-2012, 10:22 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I would have to think a top 10 list would be multiple different things.

Is he a top 10-20 wrestler in terms of drawing/being a star/kayfabe success/etc? Absolutely. Not even close. He's top 10 for me. In fact, Hogan would probably be number 1 and I absolutely hate Hogan. Flair would be 1a/1b or 2. But that's just in regards to that part of the business.

As for top wrestlers and what they did for the business? You have to think Taker would be high on that list.

And another way to list it is most popular/best actual wrestler and guys like Stone Cold/HBK/etc. would be top.

Nonetheless, you see it's very hard to figure out what list to rank people.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:23 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
Where would people rank Kurt Angle on an all time list factoring in in-ring work, drawing ability, promo work, etc?
Great question but he left the big stage just way too early. I would say he was EASILY on his way to the top and now I couldn't rank him anywhere near the top of the list.

The only list I'd rank him extremely high on if we did a list about best in-ring workers. Then he'd have to be a top guy. He didn't have the longevity of being a huge star. He didn't break title reigns or anything special.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Angle is in my top 10, Angle has everything you could ask for and still to this day is in the discussion for top workers in the business, he still puts on amazing matches and still makes everyone he works with look good. He's the whole package + the fact he has the Olympic Gold for that layer of credibility that others don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
can't you take everything into consideration?

drawing power
in-ring ability
promo work
etc.
Jonah avatar

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:54 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Angle is in my top 10, Angle has everything you could ask for and still to this day is in the discussion for top workers in the business, he still puts on amazing matches and still makes everyone he works with look good. He's the whole package + the fact he has the Olympic Gold for that layer of credibility that others don't have.

Jonah avatar
puck you, sir

Old
12-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
LOL

WWE would be on life support right now if it wasn't for Cena. This forum needs to look past its blind hatred of Cena and view this objectively from a business standpoint. Hell, Cena get significant amounts of applause AND boos everywhere he goes - some of the IWC darlings can't even pull off decent reactions.
Except when Austin and Rock got stale, Raw's ratings would drop to like a 5. When Cena is at his most popular, Raw's ratings are at a 4 at best. Cena is staying with his base, but with no one else.

Cena's merch sales are impressive, but his personal success isn't carrying over to the promotion as a whole and that's what you get with a Flair or Hogan. Austin brought WWF's ratings up, Cena's been on top as the ratings declined.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Dean Ambrose
k

Cena sells merch in todays era, but Austin/Rock have always moved more merch in their time. Austin/Rock gave Vince the most profitable era in history.

Cena's involved in the 2.0 era & compared to Austin/Rock, doesnt move as much merch & doesnt do much as a draw to a wide variety of audiences. The Cena-era more than anything has driven more viewers away, which isnt good for WWE's advertising revenue.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:57 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
Cena sells merch in todays era, but Austin/Rock have always moved more merch in their time. Austin/Rock gave Vince the most profitable era in history.

Cena's involved in the 2.0 era & compared to Austin/Rock, doesnt move as much merch & doesnt do much as a draw to a wide variety of audiences. The Cena-era more than anything has driven more viewers away, which isnt good for WWE's advertising revenue.
however, it's CM Punk's fault for the low ratings...

Old
12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Depends what you're looking at.

Wrestling? Talking? Overall package?

Guess from your post, I'd imagine overall package. In which case, he'd probably be in the Top-50 somewhere, maybe. And my all-time list only goes back as far as Wrestlemania 1, since I'm not familiar with much before that.

As far as merch and all that goes, we will never have real numbers, just like we never have real salary numbers. Just guesses. Without that info (ticket sales is another important one), it's hard to tell and very much just a personal opinion.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:09 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Are we going all-time WWF/E or all-time in general? If we're going all-time, there's also wrestlers like Gorgeous George, Bruno Sammartino (who I guess should be included on the WWF all-time list), Mil Mascaras along with a few others that drew with more popularity than John Cena.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Dean Ambrose
k

Where would Jericho rank all time factoring in everything? He's probably the most charismatic after The Rock, awesome on the mic, great in the ring & drew well for a smaller guy.

(His drawing went to **** in his 3rd run though because he thought he could put people over without getting any wins first).

Old
12-30-2012, 12:02 AM
The Shockmaster
AKA SheamusFan

Top 15-20, near Cena.