HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 07:41 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

vCash: 500
Its different than the NBA. Everyone has a chance to win the lottery, but you can still only move up 4 spots.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:45 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Its different than the NBA. Everyone has a chance to win the lottery, but you can still only move up 4 spots.

Not in the new proposal - any non-playoff team could win the #1

Old
12-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
This is correct; it's part of the NHL's method of getting a deal done quicker.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:11 AM
CBJ Tiffin

Quote:
Does the winning team get the first pick in the following rounds as well, or is there another order for those rounds?

Old
12-29-2012, 09:31 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Tiffin View Post
Does the winning team get the first pick in the following rounds as well, or is there another order for those rounds?
Don't know for sure, but I assume it would be like it is now where only the first round is affected by the lottery. Columbus drafted first in the second round ahead of Edmonton.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Tiffin View Post
In the current system, it's only for the first round. The later rounds revert to the order of the standings.

e.g. Edmonton won the lottery last year despite finishing 2nd from last (29th). They had the 1st pick in the 2nd round, but reverted to the 2nd pick in the 2nd Round, 3rd Round, etc.

12-29-2012, 10:39 AM
CalBuckeyeRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
This is correct; it's part of the NHL's method of getting a deal done quicker.
Not sure this is good or bad for teams like Columbus without seeing the odds assigned to each spot. But why would this issue matter to the teams or players as part of resolving the lockout?

Old
12-29-2012, 11:28 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBuckeyeRob View Post
Not sure this is good or bad for teams like Columbus without seeing the odds assigned to each spot. But why would this issue matter to the teams or players as part of resolving the lockout?
My guess is that it doesn't matter to the players. It may be a bone thrown to some owners to get them to support some other parts of the offer. Take a just missed playoff team that doesn't like some other things but sees this as a way to possibly improve a lot in a hurry. Not sure-just a guess.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
My guess is that it doesn't matter to the players. It may be a bone thrown to some owners to get them to support some other parts of the offer. Take a just missed playoff team that doesn't like some other things but sees this as a way to possibly improve a lot in a hurry. Not sure-just a guess.
I think this is exactly right. If I'm not mistaken, during the last lockout, some of the owners pushed for this clause to be implemented, but it wasn't. I believe that the league is offering this as part of bargaining to do just that, get everyone on the same page as far as stepping down on some of their hard-stance issues (such as contract term lengths, things like that). The league finally sees urgency to get this thing done, and is doing anything and everything they can to get all of the owners on board to do just that.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:55 PM
CalBuckeyeRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I think this is exactly right. If I'm not mistaken, during the last lockout, some of the owners pushed for this clause to be implemented, but it wasn't. I believe that the league is offering this as part of bargaining to do just that, get everyone on the same page as far as stepping down on some of their hard-stance issues (such as contract term lengths, things like that). The league finally sees urgency to get this thing done, and is doing anything and everything they can to get all of the owners on board to do just that.
Seems like a nothing issue to cause an owner of a likely non-playoff team to change their stance on a big issue to get in some cases a 1% chance of the #1 overall pick. Any word if that change would only be lottery for #1 or would apply to multiple spots? Would really suck to have another season like 2012 and find you are picking 5th after 4 teams jump you.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBuckeyeRob View Post
Seems like a nothing issue to cause an owner of a likely non-playoff team to change their stance on a big issue to get in some cases a 1% chance of the #1 overall pick. Any word if that change would only be lottery for #1 or would apply to multiple spots? Would really suck to have another season like 2012 and find you are picking 5th after 4 teams jump you.
My best guess would be a weighted drawing, similar to the way it's already done; with the worst team having the best odds, and the 17th place team overall having the least odds of gaining the #1 spot. The difference would be that any team that wins the lottery would move up to #1. In the case of 2011, the Devils won the lottery, but only were able to move up to #4 because of the way it was set up. In the new system, they would move up to #1, regardless of how many teams they had to jump. I don't think they would do a drawing to determine the entire order; that would be far too hard on some teams that struggle perennially. I think it would only be a drawing for the first overall pick, and would only count towards the first round order - subsequent rounds would still be in reverse order of standings.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

The more I watch Drouin the more I think he'd be a great pick for Columbus. Thoughts?

Old
12-30-2012, 06:31 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
The more I watch Drouin the more I think he'd be a great pick for Columbus. Thoughts?
Depends on where we draft. I wouldn't pick him higher than 5th.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Depends on where we draft. I wouldn't pick him higher than 5th.
Agreed. Great player, but I truly think there are at least 3-4 guys we should have ahead of him (MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Monahan, and even possibly Shinkaruk). He reminds me a little bit of Patrick Kane ... I don't know that he'll be a dominant player, but he should be a productive first line player if he develops properly.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:04 AM
InjuredChoker

Barkov, Mac, Jones, Lindholm, maybe Monahan ahead of Drouin for me.. Except if we could get Mac and Drouin..

Old
12-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I dont think Drouin will be lasting past 5 with the way he's played in the WJC. I'll admit I havent seen much of him and neither have I've seen much of the other guys but he just looks like a young Giroux/Marty St.Louis out there. Kid has UNREAL hands and hockey sense. I'm hoping we pick him.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
I dont think Drouin will be lasting past 5 with the way he's played in the WJC. I'll admit I havent seen much of him and neither have I've seen much of the other guys but he just looks like a young Giroux/Marty St.Louis out there. Kid has UNREAL hands and hockey sense. I'm hoping we pick him.
I haven't watched any Moosehead hockey this year, and so I wouldn't base any long-term predictions on Drouin based on the Canada games I've watched at the WJHC this year.

BUT, with that said, I agree that Drouin has looked incredible. Another great game today against Russia in which he is now on Canada's #1 line as a 17-year old.

I was expecting more from MacKinnon who has been relatively invisible (minus two stupid penalties today) so far. Maybe he'll crank it up in the medal round.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Xoggz22

I would be very excited if Columbus can get a pick within the first three, another in the top 10 and three in the top 20 overall. And after hearing Davidson at the season ticket holder event, I got the impression that he's a take the best player available unless you are choosing two players rated equally, then take for need. He'll continue to load up on defense if that's the best players and then look to trade for needs. This draft is deep and if we can happen to land McKinnon, another top 10 and someone around 20 I think we will be very, very happy.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Byrral

I definately haven't seen enough of MacKinnon or Barkov and want to see more. But right now even though I have been critical of some things Seth Jones has done during this WJC you can not deny his size, his skating ability and that shot. It would be hard for me to pass him if he is available when we pick. Murray and Jones could be our version of Suter and Weber.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:13 AM
cslebn

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree with this. Drouin was noticeable every time he took the ice with puck hounding, forechecking and pressure in the game vs. Russia.

I think we all just need to hope for two really high picks.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

He is definitely improving his stock at that tournament, while guys like MacKinnon and Jones aren't doing a whole lot to help their own. Still, don't allow his play over the course of two weeks to be the reason for drafting him so high. I realize he's having a great season in the Quebec league, however I think we would be getting more out of some of the other guys available in this range.

What I really like about Jonathan Drouin are the things I'm hearing from his teammates right now; things like "his energy is non-stop and I think it's contagious" (paraphrasing Scott Harrington) ... this is a guy that would fit right into our leadership core, and I can't argue that he'd be a great addition. That being said, I'd still rather come away with one of the more dominant, well-rounded prospects. If we can get two picks in the top-6 or 7, then absolutely, this guy would be a great pickup.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:13 AM
EspenK

Anze Kopitar out for 3 weeks or so with a knee injury. Hate to see a guy get hurt but could hamper Kings from getting a quick start. And Carter and Richards have had an extra 4 months to develop a SC hangover.

And the 14 team eligible for #1 draft pick is in.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Anze Kopitar out for 3 weeks or so with a knee injury. Hate to see a guy get hurt but could hamper Kings from getting a quick start. And Carter and Richards have had an extra 4 months to develop a SC hangover.

And the 14 team eligible for #1 draft pick is in.
I saw that on TSN. I am assuming this is a lottery more in line with what the NBA uses. I don't have a problem with it.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:37 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I have to say this, you guys will be doing great on this CBA.....

Next season.

Viqsi is emotionally scared thinking you will get picks 28,29,30 but I could see the CBJ with 2 top 10 picks next year.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I have to say this, you guys will be doing great on this CBA.....

Next season.

Viqsi is emotionally scared thinking you will get picks 28,29,30 but I could see the CBJ with 2 top 10 picks next year.
Hell, at this point I'd be excited just to see Viqsi back around here more often. Being the only cynical and bitingly pointed one around here is exhausting.

Closed Thread