HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Staal to LA

Old
12-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

vCash: 500
Marc Staal to LA

LA gets

M. Staal
Stralman
Skjei

NYR gets

Greene
Hickey
Stoll

LA gets an acceptable D partner for Doughty or Voynov. IMO, Scuderi should be a bottom 4 D. Stralman slots in at 5 or #6 D and with Martinez could be good on the powerplay. The Kings' farm system is also somewhat dry right now.

NYR gets a defensive defenseman to replace Staal, an upgrade at 3C who can step into the top six and contribute on the powerplay. Hickey, while being a huge bust, can still play 3rd pairing with Gilroy much, much better than Bickel or Eminger.

Flame away.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:02 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 2000
No from the kings. I'd prefer to keep Greene. He might not be young and pretty but he is a team player and works well enough to be a key defender in one of the best defences in the NHL. Stralman has little trade value much like Hickey. I think it's wise for a franchise to sign ufa defensive d men and only trade for them if desperate which neither team is

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

I find it hard to believe Staal's value is this low. And why would you want to trade him period?

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 12-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

The OP post undervalues Staal but none of LAs roster players are available even for Staal. You can have anyone or anything not on the roster as available. However, why would the Rangers entertain trading him? LA is eve deeper than NYR on defense and both are contenders.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I find it hard to believe Staal's value is this low. And why would you want to trade him period?
I'd think Calgary, Edmonton etc would pay better value for Staal rather than a team coming off their most successful season ever.

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:17 PM
rajuabju
The One & Only

The Doughty - Scuderi combo is ELITE. Scuds is the perfect partner for Doughty. It allows DD to go nuts and not "worry". Staal is very strongly defensively as well, but I'm not sure he'd be the right pairing for DD.

Hickey has zero value.

I could see us moving Stoll, but not as part of this package, it just doesnt seem to make a lot of sense.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:19 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
LA gets

M. Staal
Stralman
Skjei

NYR gets

Greene
Hickey
Stoll

LA gets an acceptable D partner for Doughty or Voynov. IMO, Scuderi should be a bottom 4 D. Stralman slots in at 5 or #6 D and with Martinez could be good on the powerplay. The Kings' farm system is also somewhat dry right now.

NYR gets a defensive defenseman to replace Staal, an upgrade at 3C who can step into the top six and contribute on the powerplay. Hickey, while being a huge bust, can still play 3rd pairing with Gilroy much, much better than Bickel or Eminger.

Flame away.
As much as i personally would love a staal in la ( im from his home town) I wouldnt do this trade. Greene is beloved in the organization and has a A on his sweater, He is also the only real phyical defenseman we have.
Next Hickey may not be developing as fast as everyone wants from his draft postion but he was a ahl all star defenseman which is far from being a bust. He is also trying to bring into one of the best defenses in the nhl not a easy thing to do.
Next La has more then enuff defenseman in the system no offense to the ones u offered but la has hicky muzzin campbell and another 5 or more in the system More then enuff defenseman prospects.
Next la s minor league system is far from being dry in nhl propects in fact the only thing there short of is a top line scoring threat from the left side so i dont get where ur saying our propects are somewhat dry.
Last thing for me is stoll we just resigned him so theres no way hes going anywhere. He is one of the best 3rd lline centers in the league He is still the best center on the kings for defensive zone draws,

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Caniac125330

Back off. All Staals belong to Carolina!

Caniac125330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:52 PM
CanadienShark

I may be way off base, but I wouldn't move Staal alone for that package. Not even close. There were talks of Jeff Skinner for Marc Staal, though the Rangers would have to add in a deal like that.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:30 PM
jw2

NY doesn't do this.

Doesn't improve depth of LA. Terrible move for a Tortorella coached team.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think Greene would be an excellent leader on the NY blueline, however, he's been a terrific fit in LA playing with Alec Martinez. He's not the most fleet footed skater, but he's a pillar when it comes to defending his fort, whether it be along the boards or in front of his net.

I just love how he cleared out Ryan Carter during the finals (of course the dumb back official has to call a penalty):

Greene is to the Kings what Daneyko was for the Devils, a heart and soul player and leader. He's one of the more vocal leaders in the room as well, and for that, I anticipate Greene to be with the Kings for quite some time.

And this isn't a knock on Staal as I really like him and was hoping the Kings would draft him in 2005 (unbeknownst that Kopitar would fall in the Kings' laps). I just think that Greene is a better fit with the group of defensemen that they have than Staal would be.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Again...why would the Rangers want to move Staal - a huge, young, mobile, shutdown defenseman?

An overpaid 3rd line center and a lesser defenseman doesn't seem like much incentive to me. What am I missing?

Old
12-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Machinehead
Because Rongos

vCash: 50
You had me until Gilroy ended up in the starting lineup Bad times

Seriously though, it's a no. Stoll is a nice piece, but Greene is nowhere near Staal and Hickey isn't as good as Stralman. That's not worth it considering we're pretty content with Boyle at 3C.

Even if we were in desperate need for a 3C, a trade based around Staal for Stoll isn't good value for us.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Pretty bad value for Marc Staal, who is a great dman.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:29 PM
jw2

Stralman might be underrated, too. I remember seeing him at the end of the season, and boy did he surprise me with how well he adapted to that system. If they can use him on the PP, and uses that shot, guy could continue to shock people.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Descendent*

Rangers laugh and hangup.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

So from the feedback I'm getting, I thought I would revise the proposal. I also realize that LA wants to keep their NHL roster intact and unchanged, but let's look past that for now.

My motivation for trading Staal is McDonagh. McD to me makes Staal somewhat expendable, if McDonagh got Staal's PP spot, 40 points isn't out of the question. Del Zotto is also much improved on defense.

REVISED PROPOSAL
LA gets
Staal
Skjei

NYR gets
Greene
Stoll
Martinez

Old
12-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Quote:
So from the feedback I'm getting, I thought I would revise the proposal. I also realize that LA wants to keep their NHL roster intact and unchanged, but let's look past that for now.

My motivation for trading Staal is McDonagh. McD to me makes Staal somewhat expendable, if McDonagh got Staal's PP spot, 40 points isn't out of the question. Del Zotto is also much improved on defense.

REVISED PROPOSAL
LA gets
Staal
Skjei

NYR gets
Greene
Stoll
Martinez
Why are you trying to include the Rangers most recent first rounder?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Staal is 25 and he's expendable already? I didn't know the children of the corn resided at MSG.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:

REVISED PROPOSAL
LA gets
Staal
Skjei

NYR gets
Greene
Stoll
Martinez
But...you're getting lesser players back. Is your problem that you have too many good defenseman? Because that seems to be the only "problem" you're addressing with this proposal.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:12 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:

REVISED PROPOSAL
LA gets
Staal
Skjei

NYR gets
Greene
Stoll
Martinez

even worse Ther kings got stoll and greene for Lubomir Visnovsky who was at the time alot better defenseman then staal So why do they add a top 4 defenseman on alot of team if given the chance in alec martinez and u subtract a player ( not that we wanted him )

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Machinehead
Because Rongos

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
But...you're getting lesser players back. Is your problem that you have too many good defenseman? Because that seems to be the only "problem" you're addressing with this proposal.
You can never have too many D-men. I like having Marc Staal on our 2nd pair, it makes us scary.

I liked how you call it "problem" with the quotes because people treat it as if it is one, when it isn't.

Cup winners are very often stacked at positions where guys good enough to be 1st line are dropped down. That's why they're so good. That's where we wanna be.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
You can never have too many D-men. I like having Marc Staal on our 2nd pair, it makes us scary.
Exactly. Which is why I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind this deal for the Rangers.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:33 PM
johnjm22

I love Staal. Him and Brown have had some great battles.

That said, Greene is one of the top defensive defensemen in the league IMO. He's concussion free, isn't going to cost as much cap space as Staal, and is part of the leadership group of the team. LA says no.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

I think we really need an upgrade at 3C. While Boyle isn't a bad guy for the role, look at the recent Cup winners. Chicago had Bolland, Pittsburgh had J Staal, and LA had Stoll. That top six guy pushed down into a 3rd line role is a common theme here.

And even if Staal on our 2nd pairing is scary, Stralman in the top 4 and Bickel on the NHL roster should be scarier. RH depth is somewhat of a problem for us. MDZ is arguably a top pairing D too and puts up great numbers even when he spends most of the time with Bickel and Eminger.