Awesome hockey game to go to Here's what I saw:
Good to see Hodgson dominating offensively. He also looks a bit quicker on his feet and made a great pass break up in the first minute of the game to prevent a sure goal.
Foligno wasn't as good as hodgson, but still played well. Would like to see him try to dangle less and simplify his game when he has the puck in scoring areas. Made a nice little pass on the rush between two guys to free hodgson up for his second goal, though, and was physical as always.
Adam was alright. He had a couple good chances in a row early in the 2nd, but i didn't notice him much besides that. He coasts a TON when he's on defense. doesn't seem to hustle too hard after loose pucks, doesn't throw his body around much, either.
Girgs was pretty good too. Didn't get caught out of position defensively much, had a few solid hits and created a couple good chances just on hustle alone.
Defensively, the team needs work. This game could have been a 5-4 loss if not for a couple quick whistles and lake erie's inability to finish on empty net chances. Brennan and Gauthier Leduc should not be on the same pairing. Neither one of them handles pressure well at all. McNabb was nothing special today. He needs to learn when to holster his slapper for sure. There were at least 2 times when he blasted shots right into a guy's legs. One time he had to take a holding penalty to stop a breakaway, and the other time the puck bounced out of the zone after the block. He also had 4 penalties, but 2 of them were pretty questionable. In the defensive end he wasn't bad, i'll give him that.
Girgs didn't help or hurt the team. He was just playing a simple game, didn't stand out. Mcnabb just plain aggravated me. 3 bleeping penalties in less than 30 minutes of play. Get your head out of your a$$ Mcnabb! Not one penalty was a smart one to take. Porter looked good, Flynn was invisible IMO. Leggio looked shaky at times but fought through it and churned out a solid win. I was impressed with the grind of Tarnasky. Foligno was effective some shifts and invisible others.
It was nice going to the FNC and catching some hockey.
how many people in attendance tonight? would there be 13,000?
I know they sold 19070 tickets
I'd say actual attendance was over 18,000. Didn't fill up until late because there was a huge bottleneck getting into the building for some reason.
Some thoughts :
- Felt really good to be in there again with a full building watching some puck.
- CoHo looked 100% and dominant to me.
- Not Foligno's best game, but far from his worst. He looked a little off compared to other games I've seen.
- Focused a lot of Girgs. People need to chill the F out. For an 18 year old kid, he's doing just fine. Positionally solid, showed a couple decent offensive moves and net drives, used his body a lot. Stop staring at his numbers and watch his play.
- Adam played better than in recent games I've seen, but still a decent lack of hustle much of the time. Very inconsistant. He'll never make it back to the bigs with that play. Talent's there; it's between the ears.
- Almost nobody on that defense can handle a forecheck worth a crap. Too many times where a simple chip up against the wall is all they needed, and they tried to get cute. All of the pairings had problems moving to give their partner a better out. I feel like if they did that better that would solve many of their issues.
- Seeing 19,070 on the jumbotron was really cool.