HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Phoenix

Old
12-28-2012, 08:06 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Don't get me wrong, because I don't like Bissonette on the roster (nor am I trying to pawn him off on you), but he is a serviceable emergency defenseman as well as 13th grit-forward. And that versatility is valued by GM's -- not too mention the GM in question would be Burke of all people. I wouldn't recommend giving up anything more than a very late pick or AHL-filler/long-shot to acquire him, but Maloney is apparently in love with him.

That's just it; I don't think they've made such a decision. Maybe after Gormley/Rundblad prove something at the NHL level. I value Klesla higher than MacArthur (even considering the near logjam on the blueline) ; reasonable people can disagree. But a MacArthur-Klesla doesn't tempt me right now. MacArthur and filler for Klesla and a 3rd is even less tempting. If the season is cancelled, obviously, it's moot.
Toronto has plenty of "emergency defencemen" -- our AHL team plays a 5 minute drive away. NHL GMs may value a guy like Bissonette's versatility, but when you're Toronto's GM, you simply can't do that.

The Leafs have 14 forwards who absolutely need to play in the NHL this year -- Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, JvR, MacArthur, Grabovski, Kulemin, Connolly, Lombardi, McClement, Brown, Steckel, Frattin & Kadri. They've got a similar versatility player in Rosehill as well, and 2 projects that certainly need to see NHL time in Colborne & Ashton. There's just no room for another forward.

If the Coyotes aren't prepared to part with Klesla for help up front, and prefer the alternative of trading picks or not getting help up front, then there's no deal to be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The Klesla trade continues to be one of Maloney's best. I'd imagine the Coyotes are keen to change the doors and windows on the house but want the foundation to stay the same. Klesla was arguably the Coyotes best D in the playoffs. The Leafs would probably be better served trying to fish one of the Coyotes NHL ready D prospects out of the system.
Toronto has plenty of prospect defencemen, including one of the league's top in Morgan Rielly. Zero interest there unless we're talking a guy like Brandon Gormley. We're looking for a guy that can immidiately step into our top 4 and be a reliable presence for our youth.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:09 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
I like it. If you leave out Bissonette and Brown. I don't like that swap, Brown brings alot to the table and has become a fan favourite. Not that Bissonette couldn't become one in Toronto.

Torres + 4th for Connolly
If you take out Brown, you should at least take out the 4th too. I was hoping that TO would want Bissonette. It's not like he has no worth on the ice, but he has annoyed many of us fans with his tweets. Maloney stated that he is expecting to give Bissonette more playing time this season when he was asked why the Coyotes didn't re-sign Pyatt. I don't think that the Coyotes would trade Torres straight up for Connolly.

TO should have interest in Summers, unfortunately the Coyotes haven't been able to showcase him.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
If you take out Brown, you should at least take out the 4th too. I was hoping that TO would want Bissonette. It's not like he has no worth on the ice, but he has annoyed many of us fans with his tweets. Maloney stated that he is expecting to give Bissonette more playing time this season when he was asked why the Coyotes didn't re-sign Pyatt. I don't think that the Coyotes would trade Torres straight up for Connolly.

TO should have interest in Summers, unfortunately the Coyotes haven't been able to showcase him.
Connolly is a better player offensively and defensively, he is also far more versatile, IMO. A mid-round pick, considering the Leafs needs for the upcoming draft seems appropriate to level out the value.

The Leafs do it for Torres' physical game and the ability to recoup a pick for an upcoming UFA, while remaining competitive.

I understand that the price may be too rich for the Coyotes.

Edit - I haven't seen enough of Summers to have an opinion on him.

Last edited by Jax Teller: 12-28-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:32 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

I can't see the Toronto's need for Klesla, if they deal MacArthur(whom I believe they may) it won't be for a Dman.

MacArthur likely goes in a package to fill one the glaring needs

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:09 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Connolly is a better player offensively and defensively, he is also far more versatile, IMO. A mid-round pick, considering the Leafs needs for the upcoming draft seems appropriate to level out the value.

The Leafs do it for Torres' physical game and the ability to recoup a pick for an upcoming UFA, while remaining competitive.

I understand that the price may be too rich for the Coyotes.

Edit - I haven't seen enough of Summers to have an opinion on him.
Connolly sucks. I'd trade him for Torres in a second. I'd probably trade him for nothing just to get his contract off the books.

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:09 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
I can't see the Toronto's need for Klesla, if they deal MacArthur(whom I believe they may) it won't be for a Dman.

MacArthur likely goes in a package to fill one the glaring needs
You don't see the glaring need for a stay-at-home defenceman? You must have a ton of faith in Mike Komisarek.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:46 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
Connolly sucks. I'd trade him for Torres in a second. I'd probably trade him for nothing just to get his contract off the books.
He'll be coming off the books on July 1st. When I initially thought up the scenario, I originally had Bissonette and a 4th for Connolly and threw in a Torres for Brown trade. Can even throw in a Summers for Lombardi and take out the 4th. So now the offer is Torres, Summers, and Bissonette for Connolly, Brown, and Lombardi. Maybe a Bissonette and Summers for Connolly and Lombardi would appeal for to the Leafs considering how Brown is a fan favorite.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
He'll be coming off the books on July 1st. When I initially thought up the scenario, I originally had Bissonette and a 4th for Connolly and threw in a Torres for Brown trade. Can even throw in a Summers for Lombardi and take out the 4th. So now the offer is Torres, Summers, and Bissonette for Connolly, Brown, and Lombardi. Maybe a Bissonette and Summers for Connolly and Lombardi would appeal for to the Leafs considering how Brown is a fan favorite.
I'd do Torres + Summers for Connolly + Lombardi + conditional pick If con/Lombo don't resign

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
Connolly is the better overall player. The only thing Torres does better is run people over and he hasn't missed as much time as Connolly, although Tiny T has been fairly healthy the past few years.

If the Leafs weren't soft as butter the trade I proposed wouldn't make much sense.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
You don't see the glaring need for a stay-at-home defenceman? You must have a ton of faith in Mike Komisarek.
I have some faith that Gunnarsson, Komi and Holzer will be able to share the load

glaring needs have to be addressed

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:59 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I'd do Torres + Summers for Connolly + Lombardi + conditional pick If con/Lombo don't resign
a conditional pick? The Coyotes may have interest in Connolly only as a cheap rental. I guess you didn't understand, but Torres would only be offered if the Coyotes get Brown. I would rather the Coyotes keep Torres and Summers than get both Connolly and Lombardi.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:08 PM
12345*

Pass on Torres. Leafs roster is a non-dbag zone. No headhunters. Just inciting similar treatment on our top 6.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I don't see what's so horrible. It's a dollar-for-dollar trade in total contracts and brings in a (right handed) center that should replace Langkow's production + and adds a forward prospect with NHL potential, something the Yotes are short on. If they like what they see, they can try to re-sign Connolly at a number that fits. If not, he's added to the Langkow/Belanger/Lang pile of one (playoff run) and done Yote veteran centers.

10 months ago, during the heat of a playoff race, Summers and Stone auditioned for the 3rd pairing.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=619873

From everything I've seen since then, they've done nothing to show any signs of regression. But maybe you've caught a few more Portland games and seen something? Depth wise, there's still Rundblad, Schlemko and Gormley.

Sullivan/Hanzal/Vrbata
Boedker/Vermette/Doan
Korpikoski/Connolly/Moss
Torres/Gordon/Chipchura
Bizz/Johnson

Yandle/Morris
OEL/Michalek
Summers/Stone
Schlemko
Your argument that Klesla has been pushed down the depth chart due to the reacquisition of Michalek is a decent one. However, we don't know which Morris we will get next season. Also, while Klesla might see fewer 5on5 mins, he will still get first unit PK time, which will up his total TOI/G. Just because Michalek is back doesn't mean Klesla is less effective. He's an excellent D.

Connolly is a pending UFA and Colborne is a hail Mary at best.

You want Connolly? Offer a third round pick. You can keep those forward lines you like without weakening our defense. Colborne does nothing for me.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Pass on Torres. Leafs roster is a non-dbag zone. No headhunters. Just inciting similar treatment on our top 6.
Haha. Didn't you have Colby Armstrong on your team last season?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:36 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Your argument that Klesla has been pushed down the depth chart due to the reacquisition of Michalek is a decent one. However, we don't know which Morris we will get next season. Also, while Klesla might see fewer 5on5 mins, he will still get first unit PK time, which will up his total TOI/G. Just because Michalek is back doesn't mean Klesla is less effective. He's an excellent D.
Connolly is a pending UFA and Colborne is a hail Mary at best.
You want Connolly? Offer a third round pick. You can keep those forward lines you like without weakening our defense. Colborne does nothing for me.
I agree about Colborne and wanted to add that if the league plays a compact season, 'D' depth may be ireal mportant, at least to the way the Coyotes play. I can see them rotating d'men like they do in Portland. At least in the beginning and depending on the schedule. The Coyotes like to carry 6 top 4 d'men. Maybe 8 this seaon...