HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by south of the border View Post
You really think kids/young men have "maxed out their potential" at 17 or 18 years old??
You need to rethink your athletic time clock. I dont know of any sport [maybe womens gymnastics] where an athlete peaks before their early twenties...at the earliest, most sports are late twenties. Athletes experience periodic plateaus in their growth and development and admittedly some quit developing, but not likely with Vail or several of the others you mentioned. Vail may have played 40 minutes last night, I wonder how goals Welychka would have had on those legs?
I think guys like Bilcke, Clark have maxed out they probably won't be playing in the NHL. Vail is a shutdown guy being asked to play on the top line and more likely will be a 3rd-4th liner in the NHL this is what I mean by max out. Vail only has 2 more goals than Welychka and probably 5-7 more minutes of ice every single game if not more.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Goals and assists is where its at. All the other 'stuff' didn't help last night.
Defence is where it was at last night...or, maybe where it wasn't. Goals and assists were surprisingly okay.

Quote:
A question for Spits fans- I noticed the Windsor bench was up on feet almost the entire game. They seemed into it and just wondering if thats normal?
That's always how they are. Years ago, when I went on road trips by myself, I'd get front row behind the Spits bench. I figured, eh, can hear the players, can see their POV for a game, this could be fun. Never again. They stand the entire time and I ended up missing more of the games than I watched. Heck, in Peterborough, when I went with a friend of mine back when the boys first bought the club, we were front row...and watched the jumbo tron the entire game. Couldn't see a thing. If you're behind the Windsor bench for a game, be prepared

Rayzor - you don't give up a character guy like Bilcke just to get goal scoring. You deal from other areas - youth, depth, and prospects/picks. Besides, it's not Ty's fault the team isn't scoring. He's doing his job - hitting, creating energy, defending teammates. If the others stepped up, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Lol come on, I love tough guys but they need to put up some points at least and 6 points thru his 98 game career it not good enough at all, and it's not even that he can't handle the puck can't keep up with the play, misses 80% of his hits, slow, has a shot but has never used it...all he does is fight and hes even not to good at that...I think this team needs a tough guy but with only one point on the season I'd say cya and the spits should try and find a bit more productive tough guy that your not scared to put out on the ice and get more then 4 shifts a game.
I agree with this, good post and we have had our differences but I can tell the passion you have and that's important. Bilcke is 18 this year and was a huge year for his development and it really hasn't materialized. He's played close to 100 games in his career and has 1 goal. I realize the Rychel mentality and he loves to have a tough guy whether it be Tarini, Clouthier, Wallace but this is a different era now in the OHL and the Spits. I didn't like McCann at all but he brought the same as Bilcke but McCann could actually kill penalties.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:42 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

Rayzor - you don't give up a character guy like Bilcke just to get goal scoring. You deal from other areas - youth, depth, and prospects/picks. Besides, it's not Ty's fault the team isn't scoring. He's doing his job - hitting, creating energy, defending teammates. If the others stepped up, we wouldn't be in this mess.
So Bilcke has held up his end of the bargain but the rest of the guys on the team haven't? If this is true shouldn't Bilcke get more ice? If Bilcke got 20 minutes of ice every game what do you think he would do with it?

Old
12-28-2012, 02:49 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
So Bilcke has held up his end of the bargain but the rest of the guys on the team haven't? If this is true shouldn't Bilcke get more ice? If Bilcke got 20 minutes of ice every game what do you think he would do with it?
Bilcke goes out there and is supposed to hit, create energy, and defend teammates. If he scores some points, even better. That's what he's been doing. Look at other guys who were brought in to score - Maletta, Johnson, Marchese, to name a few. Where have they been? Bilcke HAS seen more ice time. He's not going to get 15-20 min a game, but his minutes have increased. If he played 20 min a game, you'd see more points. He's had chances this year, just hasn't put any (except for one) away.

Quote:
I didn't like McCann at all but he brought the same as Bilcke
I don't know whether this is joking or serious. McCann brought same as Bilcke? Let me know when McCann fights the heavies and levels guys. You know where to find me when it happens.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:17 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Defence is where it was at last night...or, maybe where it wasn't. Goals and assists were surprisingly okay.

That's always how they are. Years ago, when I went on road trips by myself, I'd get front row behind the Spits bench. I figured, eh, can hear the players, can see their POV for a game, this could be fun. Never again. They stand the entire time and I ended up missing more of the games than I watched. Heck, in Peterborough, when I went with a friend of mine back when the boys first bought the club, we were front row...and watched the jumbo tron the entire game. Couldn't see a thing. If you're behind the Windsor bench for a game, be prepared

Thanks. Ive never reallly watched their bench to much form my season seat but was behind em last night about 10 rows up

Id have to disagree on Bilke thou. From the outside he really doesnt see to intimidate alot either thru big hits or scraps. A guy like Jansen(?) or rhinaldo had guys looking over their shoulders, giving up the puck early ect... because they could skate well enough to get in position. Times are a changing and the need for a 1 dimensional scrapper are goin, going ...... And I really dont see guys afraid to go him either
Like I said before I think if used as a Leroux is it maybe a better fit and allow him a chance at more minutes in jrB. It may help him. And you get a youngin into the lineup to develop. Call him up for those games you expect some shennanigans

Old
12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Thanks. Ive never reallly watched their bench to much form my season seat but was behind em last night about 10 rows up

Id have to disagree on Bilke thou. From the outside he really doesnt see to intimidate alot either thru big hits or scraps. A guy like Jansen(?) or rhinaldo had guys looking over their shoulders, giving up the puck early ect... because they could skate well enough to get in position. Times are a changing and the need for a 1 dimensional scrapper are goin, going ...... And I really dont see guys afraid to go him either
Like I said before I think if used as a Leroux is it maybe a better fit and allow him a chance at more minutes in jrB. It may help him. And you get a youngin into the lineup to develop. Call him up for those games you expect some shennanigans
Bilcke's been developing his game, though. He's not the one-dimensional player, as much as people want to make him out to be one. He's not going to put up 10 goal a season, but he's getting the chances and playing a far better game.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:31 PM
aresknights

Im just going by the games Ive seen over 2 years vs London and the 10 or so games Ive watched against other teams.
My thinking was if in B hed get more quality minutes.
I have no idea what he brings in the room, althou those types are oft very popluar in the room.
I like the fact Mark has started to stray away from those types and fill the roster with youngins with skill and not the Hunter Smith, Bilke types with size.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:37 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I like the fact Mark has started to stray away from those types and fill the roster with youngins with skill and not the Hunter Smith, Bilke types with size.
Sometimes you need the size to help the skill, though.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:58 PM
aresknights

double post

Old
12-28-2012, 03:59 PM
etr102

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
looking in twitter it looks like koko is comming back,
I'm surprised there has been no more discussion of this. If you do a search for Khokhlachev on twitter, you can see literally dozens of tweets to this effect. Even one or more stating that Khokhlachev's father has apparently been relieved of his GM duties in Moscow.

Jim Parker ‏@winstarparker

Windsor #Spitfires notes: Report has Khokhlachev leaving #KHL, Sieloff out for U.S. while Barber shines & captian Kerby http://*******/U5Qsjj

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/12...urning-to-khl/

LONDON Former Spitfires centre Alex Khokhlachev will not returning to his Kontinental Hockey League team after the World Junior Hockey Championships, according to a report out of Russia Thursday.

The 19-year-old Khokhlachev spent two seasons in Windsor before joining his hometown team back in Russia where his father Igor Khokhlachev is the team’s general manager.

After a slow start to his first pro season, the Spitfires added the NHL Boston Bruins draft pick back to their protective list in hopes he might return to North America.

Ruslan Salikhov of rushockey.com tweeted Thursday that Spartak head coach Fyodor Kanareiken said Khokhlachev would not be returning to Spartak after the world junior tournament. The report does not say where Khokhlachev is slated to play.

“We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it,” Windsor Spitfires head coach Bob Boughner said before Thursday’s game against the London Knights. “We don’t want any conjecture to be a distraction, but we’re still hopeful.”

While in Canada last month for the Subway Super Series, Khokhlachev indicated in an interview with The Windsor Star that he was open to returning to North America, but wanted to focused on playing for his country’s junior team with the tournament in Russia.

The five-foot-10, 172-pound Khokhlachev had just two goals and seven points in 26 games for Spartak, which is last in the KHL West Conference and 16 points out of a playoff spot.

Khokhlachev scored in Russia’s tournament-opening win over Slovakia and will be back in action today in Ufa, Russia, when his team faces the United States.

No Sieloff

Spitfires defenceman Pat Sieloff did not play for the United States Thursday in the team’s 8-0 win over Germany at the World Junior Hockey Championships in Ufa, Russia.

The 18-year-old Sieloff is with the team, but was not listed on the roster submitted to the International Ice Hockey Federation and neither was defenceman Matt Grzelcyk.

The Americans are said to be deciding between the two which one will get the team’s final roster, but a decision has yet to be announced.

Barber shines

Former Spitfires draft pick Riley Barber had a solid first game for the United States Thursday at the World Junior Hockey Championships.

The Livonia, Mich. native had a goal and two assists as the Americans beat Germany 8-0 in Ufa, Russia.

The 18-year-old Barber was a fifth-round pick by the Spitfires 2010, but did not sign with the club. Instead, he opted to play NCAA hockey at Miami of Ohio University after being a sixth-round pick by the NHL’s Washington Capitals in June.

Captain Kerby

With captain Saverio Posa sidelined by illness, third-year forward Kerby Rychel wore the captain’s C for Thursday’s game in London.

Rychel normally wears an alternate captain’s A along with Pat Sieloff, who was also out of the lineup.

In their place, Ben Johnson and Michael Clarke each wore an alternate captain’s A along with Brady Vail.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:03 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Sometimes you need the size to help the skill, though.
I dont disagree, as long as the size doesnt eat up a roster spot. If Windsor doesnt have a youngin to place in that spot then sure keep him around.
I prefer team toughness and not neccessarily a "tough guy" I wasnt a fan of the Yovanics, McMorrows et all who previously took a spot on the team I cheer for, even if I did get outta my seat for the scaps.
Teams have proven you can win, and dont have to back down even without the enforcer. As long as the team is a team and theyre all in together it would work and has.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:17 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I dont disagree, as long as the size doesnt eat up a roster spot. If Windsor doesnt have a youngin to place in that spot then sure keep him around.
I prefer team toughness and not neccessarily a "tough guy" I wasnt a fan of the Yovanics, McMorrows et all who previously took a spot on the team I cheer for, even if I did get outta my seat for the scaps.
Teams have proven you can win, and dont have to back down even without the enforcer. As long as the team is a team and theyre all in together it would work and has.
That's the thing...we don't really have someone down in Jr B to call up now that Bilcke is out. My buddy and I were talking about this on the way home. Do they call up Dylan Seguin from LaSalle? He's doing well for the Vipers. Brendan McCann? He didn't do anything for Windsor last year.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:28 PM
NHL Fanatic

It's time for Bateman and Maletta to part from Windsor, both sides are not happy with each other. Change is best for both sides in this case.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:56 PM
punch1943

Quote:
That's the thing...we don't really have someone down in Jr B to call up now that Bilcke is out. My buddy and I were talking about this on the way home. Do they call up Dylan Seguin from LaSalle? He's doing well for the Vipers. Brendan McCann? He didn't do anything for Windsor last year.
Although I'm not a big fan of Bilcke I appreciated the job he did. He was always ready to answer the bell when called upon. No one should have expected him to do anything more than he did. The team played a little bigger when he was on the bench. His job will be filled by Emerson Clark for now. He's not as big but fearless to a fault.
With only a dozen or so days to go until the trade deadline there are a lot more pressing holes to fill than bringing up a brawler. As the team approaches the trade deadline WR is under a lot of pressure to improve the team both this year and in the future. The possibility of an NHL deal happening very shortly complicates things for a number of OHL teams and perhaps might increase the value (trade wise) of a few of the Spits. It could be an interesting few days...

Old
12-28-2012, 05:18 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Although I'm not a big fan of Bilcke I appreciated the job he did. He was always ready to answer the bell when called upon. No one should have expected him to do anything more than he did. The team played a little bigger when he was on the bench. His job will be filled by Emerson Clark for now. He's not as big but fearless to a fault.
With only a dozen or so days to go until the trade deadline there are a lot more pressing holes to fill than bringing up a brawler. As the team approaches the trade deadline WR is under a lot of pressure to improve the team both this year and in the future. The possibility of an NHL deal happening very shortly complicates things for a number of OHL teams and perhaps might increase the value (trade wise) of a few of the Spits. It could be an interesting few days...
I'm just going to throw this one out there to see what people think:

With Bilcke out a while, do the Spitfires go for a bigger deal with Peterborough, in the neighbourhood of:

To Windsor: Quine, Koekkoek, Mathers, pick(s)
To Ptbo: Bateman, Maletta, ???, ???

Gives Windsor what they need, gives Ptbo what they need...

Old
12-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
It's time for Bateman and Maletta to part from Windsor, both sides are not happy with each other. Change is best for both sides in this case.
Issue seems to be that they want to pick their landing spots and those teams are not looking to add struggling 17 yr olds.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Section103

Rag on the players all you want. I still say there's a coaching issue

We have plenty of talent -- not much actual development.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Zippy316

I got my Adam Henrique Windsor Spitfires jersey with the patch for Mickey Renaud for Christmas. So ****ing happy, that was literally all I wanted.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:24 PM
punch1943

Quote:
I'm just going to throw this one out there to see what people think:

With Bilcke out a while, do the Spitfires go for a bigger deal with Peterborough, in the neighbourhood of:

To Windsor: Quine, Koekkoek, Mathers, pick(s)
To Ptbo: Bateman, Maletta, ???, ???

Gives Windsor what they need, gives Ptbo what they need...
IMHOthe Spits you listed as heading to the Pete's are the players least likely to report to Peterborough. They are probably destined for the T.O. area if the Spits can find a taker. Would the Pete's you mentioned fit in here?...hell yes. Perhaps if you subbed Clarke and Marchese.???,???

Old
12-29-2012, 08:48 AM
KyGuy9

Wait... Monsieur Kerby was Capitan? LOL I woulda thought it would be Vail but Ok. Hope Posa gets better soon. Now we have 1 overager (E. Clark) in the lineup. Bilcke out, hope he gets better soon too. I would be absolutely thrilled if Koko came back. Even though everyone isn't gonna stop complaining about whatever we do with Koko. Like if he's kept, we complain about what we could have gotten in return. If we trade him, we complain if the players we get in return are in slumps or if they are having a tough time adjusting. Even though I think Windsor is gonna keep him. If we had to trade him what do you guys think about this? Koko to Soo for McCann, Tolchinsky, 3rd and 5th?

Old
12-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
Wait... Monsieur Kerby was Capitan? LOL I woulda thought it would be Vail but Ok. Hope Posa gets better soon. Now we have 1 overager (E. Clark) in the lineup. Bilcke out, hope he gets better soon too. I would be absolutely thrilled if Koko came back. Even though everyone isn't gonna stop complaining about whatever we do with Koko. Like if he's kept, we complain about what we could have gotten in return. If we trade him, we complain if the players we get in return are in slumps or if they are having a tough time adjusting. Even though I think Windsor is gonna keep him. If we had to trade him what do you guys think about this? Koko to Soo for McCann, Tolchinsky, 3rd and 5th?
I really don't think they Would trade him to another bottem feeder, IF they did decided to trade him and that's IF he comes back I think it would be to a top 4 team in a conference. And I no for a fact the Soo would not touch the trade I mean a Rookie and a 95 skilled Russian AND a third it would make no sense for them, there in no place to contend this year, and this would be worse then the Jack Cambell trade for them.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Ottomatic

Soo wouldn't trade McCann for Koko straight up.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:37 AM
spitz fan 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
i think the Soo GM has learned his lesson....wont get ***** again

Old
12-29-2012, 10:15 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Soo wouldn't trade McCann for Koko straight up.
Neither would you.

Closed Thread