Notices

Regarding the Tim Thomas trade rumors..

Old
12-28-2012, 01:56 PM
JMiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Well it's already in a very old thread so let me say this.

Way back when Chiarelli was with Team Canada at the worlds I believe it was, I got it from a very, very reliable person that a GM (won't name the team but they wear a blue and white uniform) informed Chia that if he was going to trade one of his goaltenders that he wanted in on the talks.

I was told from another reliable person that just prior to the lockout that that same GM had asked the Bruins for permission to talk to TT.

Now the question is, would TT come back and play in a 48 game season, for a team that he'd be the undisputed number 1 and for a GM that is also GM of Team USA where he has said he wants to play for in the Olympics?

Pretty intriguing for TT IMO
Thanks for breaking it down (I'm not so quick on the uptake). I'd love to see it work out that way, they're one of a few teams he wouldn't scare me on and it'd be some great new fuel for the fire. The thought of Philly gives me shivers.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:07 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:

Way back when Chiarelli was with Team Canada at the worlds I believe it was, I got it from a very, very reliable person that a GM (won't name the team but they wear a blue and white uniform) informed Chia that if he was going to trade one of his goaltenders that he wanted in on the talks.

I was told from another reliable person that just prior to the lockout that that same GM had asked the Bruins for permission to talk to TT.

Now the question is, would TT come back and play in a 48 game season, for a team that he'd be the undisputed number 1 and for a GM that is also GM of Team USA where he has said he wants to play for in the Olympics?

Would Burke hold Thomas' stance on the whole "Chik-fila" thing against him, or has that died down in your opinion?

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
There is no way, no how, I'd want to face TT in a series. No way.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Would Burke hold Thomas' stance on the whole "Chik-fila" thing against him, or has that died down in your opinion?
I really, really hate bringing this up but, with the situation with Burke's son and the support he gives him, I would say that Burke is the most open minded GM in the league when it comes to life choices and the situation with TT's personal opinions doesn't bother Burke in the least.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:16 PM
WBC8

Quote:
I really, really hate bringing this up but, with the situation with Burke's son and the support he gives him, I would say that Burke is the most open minded GM in the league when it comes to life choices and the situation with TT's personal opinions doesn't bother Burke in the least.
Sorry.... I can delete? I was just wondering... I wouldn't think so either, but who knows.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Sorry.... I can delete? I was just wondering... I wouldn't think so either, but who knows.
nah, its alright Lou.

Burke takes a lot of crap and I know most people only get to see him in interviews and he comes off as arrogant and stuff.

But I've met him several times and honestly, he's one of the most open and easily approachable people that I have had the chance to talk to. He really does take everything personally and would blame himself before he blames others.

I know I'll take heat for saying this but I would love to see him as Commissioner one day.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:39 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Rhymes with Boronto. Has the stink of buffalo across the sea

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:54 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Honestly if I am Boston, they would have to blow me away with an offer before I let him go there. I want a 2013 #1 to even start the negotiation

I would take a late round pick from a West Coast team, before taking something of better value from a divisional opponent.

I wonder if Boston can structure a deal in such a way that the team they trade him to can not just move him elsewhere the next day

Looking at the rumors on the new CBA of a cap of 70.2 million for this year, then the Bruins have no need to move Timmy. Unless Timmy reports to camp, or someone backs up a Brinks truck full of picks and players, I say let him sit out in Colorado all year

Last edited by JoeIsAStud: 12-28-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: content
JoeIsAStud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:59 PM
WBC8

Quote:
nah, its alright Lou.

Burke takes a lot of crap and I know most people only get to see him in interviews and he comes off as arrogant and stuff.

But I've met him several times and honestly, he's one of the most open and easily approachable people that I have had the chance to talk to. He really does take everything personally and would blame himself before he blames others.

I know I'll take heat for saying this but I would love to see him as Commissioner one day.
Damn, I have thought this many times as well.... Sorry if you now feel a little less intelligent...

Old
12-28-2012, 03:09 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Burke wants to win and TT is not evil at all- I don't agree with him on some of his stances, but anyone here got a flat tire in a rain storm, one guy I'm sure who would stop and help without fanfare or even wanting you to know who he is would be Tim Thomas.

Hockey-wise, on Toronto yowzaaa...and in what the Habs have and are, the retooling (pun intended) of the Sabres it would be an amazing season if the schedule loaded up on Division opponents. Not sure Boston would just go thru them like a knife thru butter

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:11 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Honestly if I am Boston, they would have to blow me away with an offer before I let him go there. I want a 2013 #1 to even start the negotiation

I would take a late round pick from a West Coast team, before taking something of better value from a divisional opponent.

I wonder if Boston can structure a deal in such a way that the team they trade him to can not just move him elsewhere the next day

Looking at the rumors on the new CBA of a cap of 70.2 million for this year, then the Bruins have no need to move Timmy. Unless Timmy reports to camp, or someone backs up a Brinks truck full of picks and players, I say let him sit out in Colorado all year
couldn't agree more....don't want him in our division; Islanders maybe. Rather Columbus.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:33 PM
WBC8

Quote:

Agreed...In this case it's OK to "Joe Thornton" him out West.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

What all this fear tells me is that people really do think Thomas can take a team very far still on the basis of his prowess as a starting goaltender.

That suggests to me that people are being maybe a bit premature in wanting to get rid of him at all. It's not like Thomas is the first crazy goaltender in the history of the world. And Thomas makes us better team than Khudobin does, no doubt in my mind.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
What all this fear tells me is that people really do think Thomas can take a team very far still on the basis of his prowess as a starting goaltender.

That suggests to me that people are being maybe a bit premature in wanting to get rid of him at all. It's not like Thomas is the first crazy goaltender in the history of the world. And Thomas makes us better team than Khudobin does, no doubt in my mind.
Hey if there is a season, and a compressed one, and Thomas reports to camp ready to play out his contract this year, I don't think you would see anyone upset with him getting 30-40% of the starts for the Bruins. the backup will certainly play a higher percentage of the games this year than a regular year.

It was Thomas who started this by without provocation declaring that he was going to take the season off.

JoeIsAStud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:57 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Hey if there is a season, and a compressed one, and Thomas reports to camp ready to play out his contract this year, I don't think you would see anyone upset with him getting 30-40% of the starts for the Bruins. the backup will certainly play a higher percentage of the games this year than a regular year.

It was Thomas who started this by without provocation declaring that he was going to take the season off.
Where do you get the idea that Thomas would be the backup if he stayed in Boston?

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Where do you get the idea that Thomas would be the backup if he stayed in Boston?
From the idea that "Rask Needs A Chance."

Rask will get more starts than THomas when he proves that that's the best move for the team. Just handing Tuukka the job Luongo style sends a horrible message. Make him earn it, and if he doesn't earn it, still make him earn it.

If Tuukka in his prime years can't win a battle with a 39 year old, I'm not sure we should be tying our franchise to him for the next 10 years.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:45 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:

So he's had his season (or most of it) off now and is ready to come back (hypothetically), and his decision didn't affect the team in the least. He likely will still be our starter upon resuming play again! He would be playing his first game at the same time everyone else is playing their first game, so do we the fans still have anything to hold against him? Yes, I'll admit I am one of his biggest supporters for sure....

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:10 AM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
From the idea that "Rask Needs A Chance."

Rask will get more starts than THomas when he proves that that's the best move for the team. Just handing Tuukka the job Luongo style sends a horrible message. Make him earn it, and if he doesn't earn it, still make him earn it.

If Tuukka in his prime years can't win a battle with a 39 year old, I'm not sure we should be tying our franchise to him for the next 10 years.
Rask is just entering that prime now though so while I agree in theory, obviously,TT isn't just an average 39 year old.Had we had a full season this year I would speculate that the gap between the two would likely have been closer than in recent years.A shortened season kind of changes the strokes though,doesn't it .With significant rest under his belt one has to assume TT could very well shine and outplay Rask .It certainly would increase the B's chances of a deep playoff run having both those guys in the fold.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:04 AM
DaveFromNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
Rask is just entering that prime now though so while I agree in theory, obviously,TT isn't just an average 39 year old.Had we had a full season this year I would speculate that the gap between the two would likely have been closer than in recent years.A shortened season kind of changes the strokes though,doesn't it .With significant rest under his belt one has to assume TT could very well shine and outplay Rask .It certainly would increase the B's chances of a deep playoff run having both those guys in the fold.
Will it be rest, or rust? Will he be in shape to compete? Has he been playing some hockey somewhere to keep some timing? He relies on athleticism to play, if he hasn't been planning secretly to come back I don't see him being successful picking his ass off the couch and starting playing in what would be a very short camp.

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:17 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

He said he was going to continue working out with whatever program that was. I'm sure he's in fine shape...just as I am not worried about lucic, marchand, kelly, etc.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:06 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
nah, its alright Lou.

As a Commish, I could see him being a solid leader, as a current GM, his decision making, especially the one allowing Nonis too much decision power has proven to be disasterous to this point

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Number8

Quote:

I think too many bridges have been burned between TT and Boston management. Regardless of whether one thinks it would be a good thing or a bad thing, I think it's a moot point and that the TT/Boston ship has sailed.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I think it's overblown. The only bridge TT has really burnt is between himself and the Boston media, and I noticed a few media types helping him pour out the gasoline there.

I never thought TT was going to sit out the whole season even if we'd played 82. Someone goes down, Thomas comes back. When you can do what he does, at the level he does it, and experience the kind o success he's tasted, and be as flat out necessary to that success as he's been, sitting at home doesn't cut it in comparison.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Number8

Quote:
I think it's overblown. The only bridge TT has really burnt is between himself and the Boston media, and I noticed a few media types helping him pour out the gasoline there.

I never thought TT was going to sit out the whole season even if we'd played 82. Someone goes down, Thomas comes back. When you can do what he does, at the level he does it, and experience the kind o success he's tasted, and be as flat out necessary to that success as he's been, sitting at home doesn't cut it in comparison.
I agree, the media has had a field day with this.

I just got the sense that Neely was more than a little fed up with the whole thing. I don't pretend to know though.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Neely may be the team president, but if he's as smart as I think he is he's not going to put his ego in the way of making sure we have the BPA at every position.