HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Who should the Jets Buyout?

View Poll Results: Who should the Jets Buy Out?
Ron Hainsey 25 31.25%
Nik Antropov 4 5.00%
Anti Miettinen 4 5.00%
Aaron Gagnon (on a 1 way) 8 10.00%
None, we are just fine as is 39 48.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 05:55 PM
davemac1313

vCash: 143
Who should the Jets Buyout?

IF the players and owners agree on the current offer and IF the Jets want to buy out 1 player, who should it be?

Old
12-28-2012, 06:03 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
I don't think there's a reason to buy out anyone. We're well under any new cap, and if we want to get rid of anyone we can just wait until the trade deadline.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

None you have listed as (if memory serves me right) they are all ufa at the end of this year
That would be a waste

Besides, we have to hit the cap floor

Old
12-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

I wouldn't buy out anyone. I think the buyout would be for teams with a Redden or Gomez on them. We have some contracts that aren't gorgeous but they are far from albatross'es

12-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
The amnesty buyout under the latest NHL proposal came during the 2013 off-season...so since all these players are UFA, none of them will be bought out.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Bob E

We're good, but i bet the Islanders, Canadians, and Rangers sure would like that clause.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:03 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
I don't think we buy anyone out. We don't have any brutal contracts. And any players that are overpaid, we still need.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:05 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Even if they weren't pending UFA's.

Hainsey's contract is about par for 2nd pairing D now (looking at last 2 years signings). Plus currently he is the only one of the non-Enstrogolien that has provenly and competently play top4.

Antropov's contract isn't pretty but as Jet said it isn't a huge worry either. He still produces points at a top6 player rate, was great on the PP and PK (although some of that may have been boosted by Kane/Stapleton and Burmi respectively) and is willing to take a more defensive role (and will fit well with Poni-Slater/Burmi-Antro line).

Mittens wasn't good last season (minus a few small moments) but his contract isn't anything remotely even scary... Plus still chance he can turn it around and play dece bottom6 role. Worst case wave or scratch him; no lose.

Gagnon... Not NHL calibre. But buried in AHL for a year is fine.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Lux Aurumque*

If we could just dump one player off the roster with no financial implications or cap hit, I'd pick Hainsey due to his greedy antics.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

I really don't get buying out Ron Hainsey. You are just throwing money away IMHO. You take the cash that it will cost to buy him out + whatever it takes to pay a replacement that will play at his level and you are behind the eight ball dollars wise.

I could understand if we were even flirting with the cap, or if he had a long contract, but to me this is more of an emotional move that makes no organizational sense.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I really don't get buying out Ron Hainsey. You are just throwing money away IMHO. You take the cash that it will cost to buy him out + whatever it takes to pay a replacement that will play at his level and you are behind the eight ball dollars wise.

I could understand if we were even flirting with the cap, or if he had a long contract, but to me this is more of an emotional move that makes no organizational sense.
Hainsey is a UFA after this yr, no reason to buy him out.

He does have some value, but if he's not willing to sign a 2 (or so) yr deal at around $3 to $3.5/yr, then i'd be shopping him at the trade deadline. A team desperate for a 2nd pairing dman might offer up enticing picks (maybe even a future 2014 2nd and 3rd pick like the Oduya trade).

It wouldn't matter too much if we're in a playoff hunt or not, tbh. I don't think Hainsey (like Oduya) makes us that better. Now with Bogo still out, the 2nd pairing likely is Stuart and Hainsey for a while, but i'm fine with Stuart/Bogo 2nd pairing if it means getting something for Hainsey - IF he's looking to leave anyway.

Edit: assuming Bogo is ready to play by the trade deadline.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:15 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The amnesty buyout under the latest NHL proposal came during the 2013 off-season...so since all these players are UFA, none of them will be bought out.
Yeah this poll is misleading/wrong. Hypothetically though, even if the buyout was to take place before this possible season, I absolutely wouldn't buy out Hainsey, Antropov or Miettinen. Hainsey and Antropov are contributors to the team in their own way and we have nobody better to replace them with even if they are overpaid. Miettinen on the other hand is at least a warm body which we need for RW. Gagnon would be the only real buyout consideration IMO, again if the buyouts in question were for this season, but even then it's probably not something TN would do since they signed him quite recently - i.e. it would reflect really poorly on them.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:29 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Hainsey is a UFA after this yr, no reason to buy him out.

He does have some value, but if he's not willing to sign a 2 (or so) yr deal at around $3 to $3.5/yr, then i'd be shopping him at the trade deadline. A team desperate for a 2nd pairing dman might offer up enticing picks (maybe even a future 2014 2nd and 3rd pick like the Oduya trade).

It wouldn't matter too much if we're in a playoff hunt or not, tbh. I don't think Hainsey (like Oduya) makes us that better. Now with Bogo still out, the 2nd pairing likely is Stuart and Hainsey for a while, but i'm fine with Stuart/Bogo 2nd pairing if it means getting something for Hainsey - IF he's looking to leave anyway.

Edit: assuming Bogo is ready to play by the trade deadline.
I'm not really... unless we're a reaaal bottom feeder team (think CBJ/EDM).
Stuart is an ok third pairing but I really have as much faith with him on the second pairing tough minutes as throwing rookie Postma there...

Old
12-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Why in the world are people voting to buyout Hainsey?

Old
12-29-2012, 02:02 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Looks like I'm the only one to vote buy out Antro, guy shows up every fifth game which in it self is reason enough.

Kind of agree with sweech, Hainsey is at least useful and does show up every game.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'm not really... unless we're a reaaal bottom feeder team (think CBJ/EDM).
Stuart is an ok third pairing but I really have as much faith with him on the second pairing tough minutes as throwing rookie Postma there...
I'm thinking very short-term, garret. Wouldn't be the pairing, i'd like to start 2013/14 with.

I agree, about Stuart, but i would move Hainsey for picks - IF he wasn't indicating a willingness to resign. The only current LHD to "fill" the void would be Stuart, though if this was a serious move, i'm sure the Jets would look to see if there is something better on the waver wire, or trade front, to replace Hainsey.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:23 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I'm thinking very short-term, garret. Wouldn't be the pairing, i'd like to start 2013/14 with.

I agree, about Stuart, but i would move Hainsey for picks - IF he wasn't indicating a willingness to resign. The only current LHD to "fill" the void would be Stuart, though if this was a serious move, i'm sure the Jets would look to see if there is something better on the waver wire, or trade front, to replace Hainsey.
Ah gotchya
Kay I agree

Old
12-29-2012, 02:48 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Looks like I'm the only one to vote buy out Antro, guy shows up every fifth game which in it self is reason enough.

Kind of agree with sweech, Hainsey is at least useful and does show up every game.
Not if:
Antro 1/5 > replacement

Old
12-29-2012, 03:20 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post

Antro along with Hainsey don't meet the criteria. I mean we can't buy someone out who isn't under conract next year and there is zero way that cutting either of them makes the team better this year, especially when the Jets aren't near the cap and you factor in the cost of a replacement.

EDIT

I mean, why pay someone $3 Mill not to play?

I really don't see many buy outs happening outside of Redden, DiPietro, Gomez and maybe someone like Pronger depending on how the new CBA handles injured players.

Last edited by truck: 12-29-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 05:09 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1126
None. We don't have a Gomez or Redden to worry about. Why would we pay someone who would otherwise make the team not to play? It's not like we are pushing up against the cap.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:29 PM
TroubaFan1

I went with Antropov.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Why in the world are people voting to buyout Hainsey?
#Lockout

Old
12-29-2012, 10:54 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Sounds like the buyout would be for the 13-14 season. In that case, about the only guy I could see considering to buyout is Pavelec depending on how he plays in a possible shortened season. But I doubt the Jets use it, because we don't really have to.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:48 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Ugh, I forgot Aaron Gagnon was still under contract.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:53 AM
epo

Bogosian

Closed Thread