St. John's IceCaps 2012-13 - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
My thoughts:

I keep saying this and it's highly possible that I could be entirely wrong (I'm no coach or GM, for sure) but... Split Redmond and Postma on the PP and place them on their off-handed side. They both are strongest when they are the primary shooters. Pair one with Meech on the primary and the other with O'Neil on the secondary. O'Neil and Meech are good enough to take distributer/setup/secondaryshooter roles. I think this will help the PP and may even cure it.

Nice to have Cormier and O'Dell in the lineup. They're still rusty though, but hopefully they can come back to form soon.

Hopefully Burmistrov and King can get healed up quick too so they can start getting it together and clicking with the rest of the top6. Same with Albert and Trambley for bottom6 and Melchiori for bottom pair.

Sol seems to be a non-liability for an AHL bottom pairing, but he is still noticably the weakest of the 3 from the same birth year (Melchiori, Chiarot and Sol). Interesting that the one with the highest potential is the one with the late bday (thus one draft later). Those three fought for the final 2 spots on this IceCaps roster and most likely will be fighting each other (with Yuen) for the Jets #6/7 spots in the future. I would be surprised at this point if Sol ever wins that spot. His accomplishments are a full year behind Chiarot and 2 behind Melchiori in my mind. My guess is in the future (if they fight for #6 + 7 on the Jets) Yuen and Melchiori win them pretty cleanly with Chiarot as the main call up guy. And that's without thinking of RH competition for the #7 spot (Redmond, Postma and blackhorse Saponari) or the older O'Neil or the possibility of new prospects via draft/trade.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Sol seems to be a non-liability for an AHL bottom pairing, but he is still noticably the weakest of the 3 from the same birth year (Melchiori, Chiarot and Sol). Interesting that the one with the highest potential is the one with the late bday (thus one draft later). Those three fought for the final 2 spots on this IceCaps roster and most likely will be fighting each other (with Yuen) for the Jets #6/7 spots in the future. I would be surprised at this point if Sol ever wins that spot. His accomplishments are a full year behind Chiarot and 2 behind Melchiori in my mind. My guess is in the future (if they fight for #6 + 7 on the Jets) Yuen and Melchiori win them pretty cleanly with Chiarot as the main call up guy. And that's without thinking of RH competition for the #7 spot (Redmond, Postma and blackhorse Saponari) or the older O'Neil or the possibility of new prospects via draft/trade.
I have my doubts that any of Melchiori/Chiarot/Sol will ever sniff the NHL. Just do not see them as legitmate options going forward. Look at the trouble Redmond has had even getting close (he's still probably #9 on depth chart right now with his window closing fast), and he is considerably better than of those 3. I think Yuen has some potential, but those 3 are AHL fillers for their ELC's and then they'll be moving on, IMO. Not legitimate prospects unless one of them starts making some huge strides, very soon.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:48 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I have my doubts that any of Melchiori/Chiarot/Sol will ever sniff the NHL. Just do not see them as legitmate options going forward. Look at the trouble Redmond has had even getting close (he's still probably #9 on depth chart right now with his window closing fast), and he is considerably better than of those 3. I think Yuen has some potential, but those 3 are AHL fillers for their ELC's and then they'll be moving on, IMO. Not legitimate prospects unless one of them starts making some huge strides, very soon.
I agree but don't at the same time.

I think many (most) at HFBoards over do the expectations in the chances of reaching the show and ceilings (and I was doing that a bit in my point, merely to point out the considerable unlikelihood of Sol reaching the NHL even in easier circumstances). I think you're kind of over doing it in the other direction (albeit not as much as the former).

I still think Melchiori does have NHLer upside, but I understand he may not reach that upside. I know there are legitimate 3rd party scouts who agree with that, which I'm not meaning it validates my opinion as truth, but I'm dealing in possibilities here, not absolutes.

NHL defensemen aren't damned with a >year+ in AHL quite like forwards are and are a lot less predictable and linear. I also know I'm preaching to the choir and mostly wasting my time, as you know all this... But I'm bored...

Melchiori has the tools, as does Redmond and Postma (albeit all 3 bring different aspects of the game and 2 are more proven).
Postma lost a year due to lockout and is still doing solid pts/gp. Still looks like a 2nd/3rd pair tweener with 2nd PP.
Redmond is only 1 season out of a college career that far surpassed Stuart (PIM aside). He's more well rounded than Postma so he *may* not be needing sheltering and can do PK if he reaches the NHL.
Melchiori has offensively tracked on the low end for a defense prospect (albeit higher than Chairot, Sol, and Yuen relative to draft+ years) but his raw skills and defensive abilities had still placed him #3 for most lists on Jets defensive prospects (Postma and Kulda ahead) 2 seasons back and #4 after last season (Trouba being drafted as a high-end prospect to the #1 slot and Redmond passing with a great example of nonlinear development to take Kulda's spot behind Postma, as many are skeptical of Kulda's return to the Jets' (I know you and I are hoping he does)).

Blah blah blah. I know what you were saying but this filled the dead hours while my wife watched her show, which now has ended so I'm off byeee.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:16 AM
puck stoppa

I agree that melchiori has the most upside and will be a first call up type guy ahead of yuen

Old
12-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Bob E

After watching the IceCaps on Sportsnet last night, man, it's difficult to believe ANY of that crew will be NHL'ers of any success. Postma looks NHL ready as a puck-moving but sheltered dman, Redmond competes and wins battles, and Machacek may have the ability to play a bottom 6 role.

The rest, meh, i'm not sure there is anything there worth worrying about or even discussing, tbh.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
After watching the IceCaps on Sportsnet last night, man, it's difficult to believe ANY of that crew will be NHL'ers of any success. Postma looks NHL ready as a puck-moving but sheltered dman, Redmond competes and wins battles, and Machacek may have the ability to play a bottom 6 role.

The rest, meh, i'm not sure there is anything there worth worrying about or even discussing, tbh.
Aren't they missing a bunch of players with higher potential though? Or is it only Burmistrov?

Old
12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Aren't they missing a bunch of players with higher potential though? Or is it only Burmistrov?
Ya, i was only thinking of guys in the line-up yesterday. Burmi would obviously be considered a NHL level player as well.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Huffer

Quote:

I agree in a sense that there was not a lot of high end talent on display last night. But in addition to Postma and Redmond, I think Cormier has a chance at a bottom 6 role, and I think from what I saw of Telegin (not last night) that he has a chance at a 3rd line role (and possibly more) as well. Klingberg might be more of a long shot, but I don't think it's a lost cause that he could be on the bottom 6 at some point. Might have to bulk up though.

Last edited by Huffer: 12-29-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 04:01 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

I have long thought the same.

Of the people who dressed yesterday, Cormier, Mach, Redmond and Postma are the only ones that I think will make it. Klingberg has an outside shot, but may bust completely. Of course I have high hopes for Telegin and Burmi, but they weren't active. If anybody else sniffs the NHL it will be a pleasant surprise.

Oh, I also really like Eddie Pasquale.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I have long thought the same.

Of the people who dressed yesterday, Cormier, Mach, Redmond and Postma are the only ones that I think will make it. Klingberg has an outside shot, but may bust completely. Of course I have high hopes for Telegin and Burmi, but they weren't active. If anybody else sniffs the NHL it will be a pleasant surprise.

Oh, I also really like Eddie Pasquale.
Ya, Cormier as a 4th line winger and f/o guy, might be another guy.

Pasquale needs development, he's far from what i would consider to be a competent NHL guy, at the moment, imo. Can he get there, maybe, hope so. Don't think there's a rush to get him to the next level.

Klingberg? Meh.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Canadienjet

Klingberg is very inconsistant that will have to change if he's going to be in the NHL.

Pasquale will be sooner then later.Will be the backup obv.

Postma has been disppointing and has been in McCambridge's dog house.Redmond will be up soon too.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Boreal

I tend to agree with the consensus here. I like Burmistrov quite a bit, and I see Telegin in the show eventually. I like Cormier because of his ability in the dot, and Machacek is a great lunchpail and hardhat type. On the blue line, I am not as high on Postma as others. Then again, I have a substantial bias against non-physical D-men, so I am being perhaps a little unfair. I like Redmond as a bottom pairing type. Though he's still in junior, I love Adam Lowry's game and size. I have high hopes for him.

Our prospect pool has improved recently, but it still remains relatively poor, in my estimation. Scheifele and Trouba however are tremendous.

Where does everyone see Serville grading out, relative to Yuen, Melchiori, Sol and Chiarot?

Old
12-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Canadienjet

IceCaps getting dominated again.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:14 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Wow,

Down 4-0 in the second. Wins the game 5-4

Old
12-29-2012, 09:35 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Wow,

Down 4-0 in the second. Wins the game 5-4
Are you serious? Holy ****. I saw the game was at 4-2 and figured that it would stay that way, so I opted not to watch it. Man, Brian Rogers may have had an aneurysm after that one. I need to see the highlights now.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

This team does not quit!

Old
12-31-2012, 06:52 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
basically,
the lockout's been a bit of a blessing as far as having NHL-ready prospects goes. it puts us 6 months closer to another draft and brings our junior players 6 months closer to being with St John's.

the Jets' depth at the AHL level is scary bare. other that Scheifele (and that is debatable) we are 1-2 seasons away from having a rookie of any signifigance join the team.

yikes.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
basically,
the lockout's been a bit of a blessing as far as having NHL-ready prospects goes. it puts us 6 months closer to another draft and brings our junior players 6 months closer to being with St John's.

the Jets' depth at the AHL level is scary bare. other that Scheifele (and that is debatable) we are 1-2 seasons away from having a rookie of any signifigance join the team.

yikes.
Yup. That's why i'm hoping for an early draft pick this year, keep the prospects flowing and perhaps able to join the team shortly - and make a contribution.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:00 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Ya, Cormier as a 4th line winger and f/o guy, might be another guy.

Pasquale needs development, he's far from what i would consider to be a competent NHL guy, at the moment, imo. Can he get there, maybe, hope so. Don't think there's a rush to get him to the next level.

Klingberg? Meh.
Re Cormier: The cheap 4th line C thing is appealing. He won't be an impact players, but I fully expect him to suit up with the big club in 13/14. I'd rather have his style of grit and defense than what Thorburn offers. The faceoffs are a nice plus too.

Re Pasquale: Eddie is at least a year or two away from a serious look at a backup job, but his development is trending in the right direction. Solid positional play and a sick glove hand makes him pretty much the anti-Pav. If Pav continues to falter we may need more from Eddie down the line.

Re Klingberg: It is a dang shame that he can't put his tools together. I like his skating and size, but his hockey sense and shot seem to be a complete mess. He is the kind of player that could benefit from a patient development plan. He isn't near ready, but I wouldn't rule out him finding a niche withing the next couple years. He is definitely a maybe.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:39 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
IMHO, you can tell when Klingberg is going to have a good game - if he's rushing headlong at the goal, he'll have a good one. If he's floating on the outside, it'll be bad. To me, he's most effective, and could potentially move to the next level, if he'd continue down the crash and bang route. He seems to get off that game too much though.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Re Cormier: The cheap 4th line C thing is appealing. He won't be an impact players, but I fully expect him to suit up with the big club in 13/14. I'd rather have his style of grit and defense than what Thorburn offers. The faceoffs are a nice plus too.

Re Pasquale: Eddie is at least a year or two away from a serious look at a backup job, but his development is trending in the right direction. Solid positional play and a sick glove hand makes him pretty much the anti-Pav. If Pav continues to falter we may need more from Eddie down the line.

Re Klingberg: It is a dang shame that he can't put his tools together. I like his skating and size, but his hockey sense and shot seem to be a complete mess. He is the kind of player that could benefit from a patient development plan. He isn't near ready, but I wouldn't rule out him finding a niche withing the next couple years. He is definitely a maybe.
Excellent post, Truck.

You may be right with Klingberg, but after awhile the drafting team will lose patience with a player like that, and they seem to 'resurface' with another organization.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:55 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Excellent post, Truck.

You may be right with Klingberg, but after awhile the drafting team will lose patience with a player like that, and they seem to 'resurface' with another organization.
That may well happen.

Honestly, I wouldn't bet on him developing. I have personally doubted him for a long while. I have never understood why some people suggested he had top 6 upside. I mean he has never been an impact scorer.

I just like his physical tools and HOPE he can put it together. His issues seem to be mental more than anything. If he embraces it, and develops I could see him in a bang and crash 3rd or 4th line role. His speed would be an asset there.

Not so much a prediction as much as it's a "don't waste your talent trying to be a goal scorer" Carl.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:19 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
That may well happen.

Honestly, I wouldn't bet on him developing. I have personally doubted him for a long while. I have never understood why some people suggested he had top 6 upside. I mean he has never been an impact scorer.

I just like his physical tools and HOPE he can put it together. His issues seem to be mental more than anything. If he embraces it, and develops I could see him in a bang and crash 3rd or 4th line role. His speed would be an asset there.

Not so much a prediction as much as it's a "don't waste your talent trying to be a goal scorer" Carl.
McCambridge was rough on him on an interview with H & L. He said Klinger is going to have to figure out that to get to the next level he is going to have to be tough to play against "every night" not one night banging and the next night tip toeing into the corners.

I know it sounds simple but it's why I like TNSE drafting players with high character high compete levels. Every player is going to have slumps but you need the consistency in effort. the part that drives me the most insane is when prospects or top talent have a questionable work ethic and commitment level.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Bob E

Quote:
That may well happen.

Yup. While watching him fly in on drills during the development camp, and fire pucks either well wide or right into the logo of the goalie, i thought, this guy has absolutely no touch around the net. None. Zip.

If he's not banging, and being a complete pain in the a$$ to play against, he isn't really contributing much.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Yup. That's why i'm hoping for an early draft pick this year, keep the prospects flowing and perhaps able to join the team shortly - and make a contribution.
Unfortunately, with our team it looks like we will be picking anywhere from 10 - 20 for the next few years. I think we are going to have to be very proactive mining other org's for diamonds in the rough. Guys that other teams have given up on or who don't really fit in with the club's plans or roster planning can turn out to be real contributor for another team and may help us build up depth in the areas of or org that are thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
McCambridge was rough on him on an interview with H & L. He said Klinger is going to have to figure out that to get to the next level he is going to have to be tough to play against "every night" not one night banging and the next night tip toeing into the corners.

I know it sounds simple but it's why I like TNSE drafting players with high character high compete levels. Every player is going to have slumps but you need the consistency in effort. the part that drives me the most insane is when prospects or top talent have a questionable work ethic and commitment level.
I know I'm the most frustrated with a team that has talent and no compete. The Oilers of the around 98 to 05 were normally thin on top end talent but you loved to watch them because they were quick, hard working and gritty. You knew you were going to get total effort from them.

The Oilers of the past 5 or 6 years were so frustrating to watch. More talent, but soft, lazy and uninspired most nights. Getting pushed around, run out of their own rink, and generally disinterested in doing what it took to win.

If the Jets end up being a big, mean, aggressive team with evenly distributed talent throughout I will be pretty happy to watch, even if we don't have any 'superstars'.

Back on topic, again I think we can improve the Ice Caps roster through creative drafting of already pro players. I think this organization is already familiar with that approach.