HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mark Scheifele for Phil Kessel

Old
12-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Mark Scheifele is good and all, but you know, I'm thinking leafs you know value Kessel a little more than you know Mark Scheifele. But you know, if the Jets could maybe add you know another legit roster player, maybe Ladd Or Kane you know that was mentioned before. Than maybe you know this could maybe help the leafs in the long term. But you know, I'd rather keep Kessel, and you know target Scheifele with one of our other players not named Kessel. So you know we could maybe have a you know Lupul-Scheifle-Kessel line in the future. So you know what, I propose Rielly straight across for Scheifele. I think the value is you know fair. Scheifele does great interviews so you know I think he would be a hit in Toronto.
You know?

Last edited by Hennig: 12-28-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Value wise Kessel is the better player. But he doesn't make the difference for the Jets. The Jets are better off not pissing away their future. I would hate the Jets to make a Seguin/Hamilton/Knight type trade.
Agreed.

Not only that but it doesn't seem realistic to expect the Jets management group to trade their top prospect, the first ever selection of the Jets V2.0. They've said that they plan to build the team via the draft; you don't do that by trading away your top prospects.

Can't wait to see Scheifele wearing the Jets uni for many years to come.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:41 PM
TmlHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Mark Scheifele
2nd round draft pick 2013
1st round draft pick 2014

for

Kessel

Now I'd do it.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
Mark Scheifele

for

Kessel

Now I'd do it.
Nope, thanks anyway. We're keeping Scheifele as a building block. Best of luck with the whole shopping Kessel thing though.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:46 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Nope, thanks anyway. We're keeping Scheifele as a building block. Best of luck with the whole shopping Kessel thing though.
We're not shopping Kessel though.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Well, it wasn't a Jets fan that proposed a trade. Cool either way. Enjoy Kessel then, or trade him, whatever.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:51 PM
broc

Jets say yes.

broc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:04 PM
AK1990

Schiefele & Bogosian and then you got yourself a deal!

AK1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:04 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Now this is a new one. It's not often someone offers a star for a prospect

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Bad trade for both teams.

If that would be offered I think Winnipeg accepts and then flips Kessel again for prospects, but this time for what he's actually worth.

That doesn't mean more comes from Winnipegs end. Winnipeg has literally no desire for Kessel. Winnipeg needs very young players to add to the core of Bogosian, Trouba, Scheifele, Burmistrov, and Kane. So Winnipeg would be trading what they need for what they don't want in this situation.

Maybe something around Gardiner for Burmistrov? Even then I'd like to see what the Jets could get out of the draft first.
Nope.

Quote:
Mark Scheifele

for

Kessel

Now I'd do it.
Nope.

Jax Teller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Heista18*

Quote:
Mark Scheifele

for

Kessel

Now I'd do it.
Yeah that's what I was gonna come up with, but I figured the Jets wouldn't accept. It is a much better deal though.

Heista18* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Really bad for the Leafs. I can't believe a Leaf fan proposed this.

Scheifele is nothing more than a prospect, while Kessel is easily one of the most intimidating, creative offensive players in the game. And he's still really young to boot.

This trade sets the Leafs back 5 yrs.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Mark Scheifele could blossom into that big franchise center every organization in the league would want to build around, but Kessel is also a young guy with gamebreaking one strike goal scoring ability they invested in heavily. I'm not sure it's worth the gamble for Toronto, since the plan is definitely to bring in a center to play with Kessel, not to trade him to get a guy who could have the same impact as Kessel, and then not have a winger to play with him in four or five years time.
This. It costs more than two 2nd's to buy certainty. Way more.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Heista18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Really bad for the Leafs. I can't believe a Leaf fan proposed this.

Scheifele is nothing more than a prospect, while Kessel is easily one of the most intimidating, creative offensive players in the game. And he's still really young to boot.
This trade sets the Leafs back 5 yrs.

Agreed about kessel but you're not giving any value to scheifele. If he was drafted 6 spots up higher you'd probably have a completely different outlook. Think about it this way, if I made a deal like this for Giroux when he was simply
A prospect, I wouldve won in the long run. I've just analyzed the kid for a while and think he's got what it takes to be a consistent 60-80 point player. I don't care about point totals so far as team chemistry, kessel will always score more than mark but at the end of the day, my opinion is that he will become a great center. It's a better foundation for the future in my mind, and a better tool for Carlyle to use in this new offensive system.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Mark Scheifele is good and all, but you know, I'm thinking leafs you know value Kessel a little more than you know Mark Scheifele. But you know, if the Jets could maybe add you know another legit roster player, maybe Ladd Or Kane you know that was mentioned before. Than maybe you know this could maybe help the leafs in the long term. But you know, I'd rather keep Kessel, and you know target Scheifele with one of our other players not named Kessel. So you know we could maybe have a you know Lupul-Scheifle-Kessel line in the future. So you know what, I propose Rielly straight across for Scheifele. I think the value is you know fair. Scheifele does great interviews so you know I think he would be a hit in Toronto.
You know?
Yeah, and Kessel is known for his media presence.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Heista18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
OP saw Schiefele play a WJHC game against slovakia and get beat up but score a goal and decides hes a star player
Yes. Yes that's exactly it!

Old
12-29-2012, 12:25 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

It doesn't make sense for either team.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:34 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Regardless, deal is terrible. Add Kane or Ladd and the lead is palatable, but no way Kessel is dealt for a decent prospect and a couple 2nds.

Would Rielly + 2 2nds get you an Eberle, Neal, Eriksson, Parise?

Last edited by piqued: 12-29-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: qdp
The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Picks really are overrated on this board. You do not trade a player like Kessel with a heap of draft picks to onset the little perk you tossed in. Exception being if that perk is near equally valued to what you're trading. Scheifele is good but no combination of picks added make him worth Kessel, unless the Leafs intend to blow it all up. Alas, add a roster player like Little or Kane and Winnipeg backs off.

Just a poor trade overall.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:54 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
It doesn't make sense for either team.
No. It makes a lot of sense to get a superstar for a prospect. Winnipeg gets DRASTICALLY better with this

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Falconator

I cannot see, for any reason, why the Jets would want Kessel. He's a proven goal scorer, but, he's got one year left on his deal after this year and the Jets are in a building mode. Scheifele is a Jet for the next SEVEN years, add to that, they lack center depth. Jets need Scheifele a lot more than they need Kessel at this point of their re-build/re-tool.

As far as I know, Brian Burke isn't the GM of the Jets, this is something he may try because he has no long term vision. Acquiring Kessel helped Toronto finish 2nd last, 9th last and 5th last in the past three years. If he was a UFA, ok, different story. But you don't give up what it'd take to get Kessel because it'd kill your long term success...again...something Burke would do.

Last edited by Falconator: 12-29-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:21 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heista18 View Post
I'm not going to pretend I know what Winnipeg needs, but I know what the Leafs need. Let's take a look at this potential deal up close by comparing the two main pieces.

Mark Scheifele is a 6'3 centre who brings size and skill to the table, something they obviously seem to lack in Winnipeg's prospect pool. He utilizes a combination of size, speed, smarts, skill, and vision. Playing against the best centers in the OHL every game, he seems to be learning quickly. Although playing in a losing environment on his current team, he most definitely is putting up some nice numbers.

Phil Kessel on the other hand, is proven. We all know this. Kessel is a marvel to watch. He combines dazzling moves with excellent hockey sense, tremendous poise and confidence with the puck, a tireless work ethic, and a very professional approach to the game. Kessel is a player who can make those around him better and has the ability to make things happen. His excellent hockey sense can assure you he won't be caught in the wrong position enabling him to be the recipient of a big, injuring hit (Hello 70-82 game seasons for the club). One attribute that immediately jumps out about Kessel is his extraordinary skating ability. His explosive speed and effortless strides are what set him apart from just about every other player in the nation. Another characteristic that makes Kessel such a highly-regarded player is the way he thinks the game. He is immensely smart and contains great vision. He has shown that he can read and anticipate plays quite well. Furthermore, he is very good at finding open spaces on the ice, knows just where the developing play is going, and where he needs to be.

Usually lost in this solely "high offensive firepower shooter" from mostly other peoples perspective, is his passing ability. He is a superb and extremely creative playmaker. He makes outstanding tape-to-tape passes and has little trouble finding open passing lanes. He has also demonstrated a keen sense of making the right decisions with the puck.

Fortunately for me, I don't put as much weight in the proven section as most would, I understand players by watching them, reading their personality types and whether or not the young prospect being targeted will thrive and learn to fulfill his draft pedigree. I truly believe Mark will.

On another note, I don't believe he will ever surpass Kessel's point totals. I look at the overall grand theme of things, the team. The Leafs need a centre of his caliber more than Kessel's elite offensive play on the wing. It's what I believe would benefit us with wins in the long run through overall team Chemistry.

And so, Winnipeg Jets GM's, I ask you, what are your thoughts on this proposal:

Mark Scheifele

-For-

Phil Kessel

Keep in mind I put some EFFORT in, please do the same if you'd like to reply.

Keep in mind, I am weighing heavily on perry joining us.
I doubt Burke would trade Kessel for a prospect, it sets the team back again and you can't count on the Leafs signing Perry or anyone else. Maybe they do, but you can't count on it.

One more thing, since when did Kessel have a "tireless work ethic", that is exactly the opposite of what I think when I hear Phil Kessel brought up.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Bomber0104

Scheifle , Trouba, and a 2nd

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:39 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
I thought the Leafs were in "win now mode"? Don't see how this trade supports their movement.

2Cowen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:42 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
I thought the Leafs were in "win now mode"? Don't see how this trade supports their movement.
Toronto has been in win now for years now.

Some fans are starting to accept that we cant win unless we fall back and regroup.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote