HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Cairns fight vs. the Leafs

Old
06-04-2012, 08:15 PM
leaponover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCZ1zIOYtFw

I don't know if anyone saw this, this was insanity, Cairns going absolutely nuts.
Not for nothing but good for Belak... Whoah talk about a meltdown from Cairns. Loved his heart for the Isles but that was crazy!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:27 AM
LongIslandCircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
He pulled the same crap with Hamonic 20 seconds later and Hamonic got the extra penalty for it.

Wow, that sucks, I wouldn't be able to deal with that, especially around the time Simmonds had it out for Tavares and went to the newspaper to tell him to pull a Lindros with the Isles.

The trio of Aucoin, Hamrlik and Jonsson was strong, the three after

A good number four would have been terrific, especially considering how fragile Jonsson was. I don't want to complain too much about it because Milbury did what he could to turn the team around as fast as possible (horrible in hindsight) but going from last to 5th in the East was a nice feat. Too bad he couldn't sustain anything or get the team into the second round.
I truly believe that team went to the second round had they acquired a steady number 4. Milbury had the right intentions bring in Niinima the year after....just the wrong player for the job.

I always thought Brendan Witt would've been an ideal fit for that 2002 team. Could play top 4 minutes and bring a physical edge that was missing with Jonsson/Aucoin and Hamrlik.

O well, fun to think about the "what ifs" of the past

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
A tough team that had heart, skill, finesse, grit and discipline.

Glad we got rid of that ****.

Thanks, Charles!
Ditto

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:57 PM
InformTheMasses

I was at the Playoff Game against Toronto. Building was going insane.

Never saw the Cairns/Belak video before. Reminded me of him laying out Barnaby in the runway to the dressing room. this video is crappy, but I distinctly remember seeing Cairns land one punch to barnaby's face and him stumbling back several steps before falling to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPHm1GV8ggM

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I was at the Playoff Game against Toronto. Building was going insane.

Never saw the Cairns/Belak video before. Reminded me of him laying out Barnaby in the runway to the dressing room. this video is crappy, but I distinctly remember seeing Cairns land one punch to barnaby's face and him stumbling back several steps before falling to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPHm1GV8ggM
Whoa, I've never seen that video. That's awesome.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:41 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Whoa, I've never seen that video. That's awesome.

Please! There is no "D" in it.

Thank you and note the changes in the future.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Renbarg

I remember the Islanders would put up a metal screen in that hallway following that incident against rival teams in which the game could get heated.

Regarding Barnaby, I won't forget the time he was with the Rangers and just did his stupid ass open mouth scream to the whole Islanders bench. Guy was a punk.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:29 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I remember the Islanders would put up a metal screen in that hallway following that incident against rival teams in which the game could get heated.

Regarding Barnaby, I won't forget the time he was with the Rangers and just did his stupid ass open mouth scream to the whole Islanders bench. Guy was a punk.
Still enjoy the clip of Asham pummeling Barnaby. Barnaby then proceeds to cry in the penalty box.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCircus View Post
I truly believe that team went to the second round had they acquired a steady number 4. Milbury had the right intentions bring in Niinima the year after....just the wrong player for the job.

I always thought Brendan Witt would've been an ideal fit for that 2002 team. Could play top 4 minutes and bring a physical edge that was missing with Jonsson/Aucoin and Hamrlik.

O well, fun to think about the "what ifs" of the past
Yes, yes a thousand times yes. I have always said the same thing... especially after Witt signed with the Isles much later. Witt's first two years with the Isles under Nolan was exactly what the Jonsson/Aucoin/Hamrlik Isles were missing.

In fact, I would say that the current Isles could really use a Sillinger (another Nolan era player) type second line center right now.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Shawn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Now take that basic Leaf hate and imagine you lived in Canada, where all the media originates from toronto and the Leafs are the only and every thing that is talked about. Imagine how much that amplifies your existing hatred?

I despise the Leafs. I hope they never win a cup in my life. I hope "Burkie" keeps driving them into the ground.
I feel your pain man, in addition to that, I grew up in a house full of leafs fans and watched every game of that series with them. There were almost legit fights in the house.

Shawn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wang View Post
Yes, yes a thousand times yes. I have always said the same thing... especially after Witt signed with the Isles much later. Witt's first two years with the Isles under Nolan was exactly what the Jonsson/Aucoin/Hamrlik Isles were missing.

In fact, I would say that the current Isles could really use a Sillinger (another Nolan era player) type second line center right now.
I disagree, I think one of the biggest problems with the Nolan era Islanders is that they never really had a 2nd line center. It was mostly a 1st line and two 3rds. Sillinger is a perfect 3rd liner. As was Scatchard on the Lavy era Islanders. The difference between the one good Lavy year (01-02) vs all the other Islanders years in the past decade is the fact that we had two very solid lines up top. We had Yashin (for all his faults) and Peca in close to their prime centering really productive lines at various points. That's pretty darn good. When Peca got hurt, he was never ever the same. Don't get me wrong, Sillinger had a really good year that year (equivalent to Peca in 01-02), he would just be a better fit on a true third line.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I disagree, I think one of the biggest problems with the Nolan era Islanders is that they never really had a 2nd line center. It was mostly a 1st line and two 3rds. Sillinger is a perfect 3rd liner. As was Scatchard on the Lavy era Islanders. The difference between the one good Lavy year (01-02) vs all the other Islanders years in the past decade is the fact that we had two very solid lines up top. We had Yashin (for all his faults) and Peca in close to their prime centering really productive lines at various points. That's pretty darn good. When Peca got hurt, he was never ever the same. Don't get me wrong, Sillinger had a really good year that year (equivalent to Peca in 01-02), he would just be a better fit on a true third line.
Mike Sillinger as a player was a good third line center for his career. True. But, for that particular year under Nolan he put up second line production... albeit for an 8th seed. Clearly Sillinger would not have been an adequate 2nd line center on a contender. My point on Sillinger is that he would be a great fit now. I would still expect Tavares to carry the team. I think a stop gap vet who can win face-offs an put up 25g and 55p would really help to settle a line with okposo and bailey. But again, I do not have any misconceptions that this would be anymore than a stopgap measure for a run at a lower playoff seed.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote