HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Episode IX|The Off-Season Thread|It's... still the offseason.

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 03:19 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Mario QB'ed the powerplay his entire career here...never once did he play the top point.Our powerplay woes seem very simple to me. Our powerplay is at it's best when both Sid and Geno can dominate one board by themselves...where they can move freely all up and down one side.

Take that how you will.
very true, but will qbing from the board make for even more side angle shots? guess it depends on sid & geno's ability to keep the shots on goal, or the opposite point man's ability to keep the play alive when those things go wild.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:33 AM
mpp9

I don't ever see Sid/Geno being broken up on the power play. We need someone who can get the puck into the zone and dish it off to them. And hopefully at some point, a shot threat from the left wall.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Jag68Sid87

I agree that we need someone capable of doing those things. But I don't agree that this player should be another defenseman. I'd rather find a forward who can slide back on the point. Sure, they're harder to find but we have a need up front that doesn't exist on the blueline. And for me, the most important thing about this issue is to NOT add another body on defense.

And, by the time the lockout ends, who knows. Maybe there'll be a whole new crop of available players to look at...or maybe we can find the solution internally.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Mario QB'ed the powerplay his entire career here...never once did he play the top point.
Mario was Mario. It is not an argument referring to what he could do.
Even if of course he hardly suffered when a natural QB like Paul Coffey was added to the mix....

To some extent he then became (even) less the QB than the focal point or trigger man, if you will.

A bit like how Ovechkin was/is clearly the focal point of Washington's PP, even if Green and Backstrom QB it. AO never did.
At least until a season ago, the purpose of the PP was to get the puck to AO for a onetimer. Mario was a lot more than just the triggerman, but primarily he was where the PP was supposed to end up.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:48 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Mario was Mario. It is not an argument referring to what he could do.
Even if of course he hardly suffered when a natural QB like Paul Coffey was added to the mix....

To some extent he then became (even) less the QB than the focal point or trigger man, if you will.

A bit like how Ovechkin was/is clearly the focal point of Washington's PP, even if Green and Backstrom QB it. AO never did.
At least until a season ago, the purpose of the PP was to get the puck to AO for a onetimer. Mario was a lot more than just the triggerman, but primarily he was where the PP was supposed to end up.
One could say that there were a couple QB's on those early-90's powerplays. Mario touched the puck on that powerplay more than anyone. One guy may have set it up, but you and I both know...that puck was going to Mario once it gained the zone.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Jag68Sid87

Yeah, I'm with JTG. My definition of PP quarterback is the guy the power play runs through. Regardless of where that is on the ice. The guy who directs the traffic, who controls the setup. It doesn't always have to be at the top of the circles. Mario definitely was the guy who ran our PP in the past. Coffey certainly collaborated upon his arrival, and it was a dual role.

Also, when we used the five forwards PP in the late 90s-early 00s, it ran through Kovalev at the point.

With Malkin and Crosby on this roster, do we really need to invest in a classic PP quarterback defenseman?

Old
12-29-2012, 01:17 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

It doesn't take a better defenseman necessarily to be a PP QB, but a special type. Letang is a good defenseman, but he's underwhelming on the PP. Same goes with forwards. It's not as simple as taking a highly skilled guy, putting him in the point, and having instant magic. Even with Sullivan, it wasn't a complete success.

Besides, it is not even that big of an issue imo. Even with it's flaws, the unit(s) still clicked at a good rate. I'd be willing to see if a guy like Morrow can maybe play that role.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:15 AM
deakka

Looks like it might be over guys...

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

A tentative agreement has been reached between NHL and NHLPA - source

Closed Thread