HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Removing protected markets, what cities would pursue more NHL/NFL/etc teams?

Old
12-28-2012, 09:14 PM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
Removing protected markets, what cities would pursue more NHL/NFL/etc teams?

GTA? Montreal? Chicago?

What about other sports, could NYC do with a Brooklyn team?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:16 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
GTA? Montreal? Chicago?

What about other sports, could NYC do with a Brooklyn team?
Ask the Nets about a Brooklyn team haha. In my opinion, too many teams in one market rarely ever works out. Islanders, Nets, Panthers, etc. Only exception is probably LA.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:57 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Chicago could, in my opinion, easily sustain the return of a second NFL team and the creation of a second NBA team. Huge demand for both sports leftover and, even if they were permanent second fiddles to the Bears and Bulls, they'd still be lucrative second fiddles. Two is maxed out for MLB and one's just fine for the NHL, though.

L.A. often gets brought up as a home for possibly two NFL teams again, but let's see them sustain one before we toss another one at them. Stronger argument for a third area NBA team, say in Anaheim (where the Kings were interested in becoming the Royals again per rumor a year or two ago), but that might be stretching it.

And Toronto's obvious for the NHL. Not a question of if they could handle two NHL teams, but three or even four. Not so much for any other sport.

As for other markets.... dunno, not seeing anyone else, tbqh.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:14 AM
WingsFan95

Hopefully Markham gets a team which will push the GTA to two.

I think Markham, DT, Mississauga and Hamilton could all sustain teams.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:16 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Chicago could, in my opinion, easily sustain the return of a second NFL team and the creation of a second NBA team. Huge demand for both sports leftover and, even if they were permanent second fiddles to the Bears and Bulls, they'd still be lucrative second fiddles. Two is maxed out for MLB and one's just fine for the NHL, though.

L.A. often gets brought up as a home for possibly two NFL teams again, but let's see them sustain one before we toss another one at them. Stronger argument for a third area NBA team, say in Anaheim (where the Kings were interested in becoming the Royals again per rumor a year or two ago), but that might be stretching it.

And Toronto's obvious for the NHL. Not a question of if they could handle two NHL teams, but three or even four. Not so much for any other sport.

As for other markets.... dunno, not seeing anyone else, tbqh.
Fan support (and the rest) weren't the trouble in L.A.

We had the Rams drawing with better than average numbers but Ms Fonteirei(sp) decided to take Stl's money and move. She made more by doing so then she thought she could do in Anaheim but she ends up being wrong.

Al Davis wanted to be back in Oakland but couldn't get there easily (he had left under less than perfect circumstances). He thought that he had a shot at getting LA to upgrade/rebuild the Coll and when that didn't look like it was ever going to be a go in time he bolted.

I don't watch football (not US) anyways and might not have all of the details perfectly ironed out but supporting the franchises in as far as attracting and maintaining fan dollars wasn't the problem and doesn't remain on today.

The expansion of the Coll is what stands in the way. Once that is done then the NFL will have a place to play and I could see LA supporting two teams easily.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:45 AM
aqib

The Rams attendance had dropped before Frontiere moved the team. http://rams.imgrelay.com/html/507.html

The Raiders were close to a stadium deal at Hollywood Park but the NFL wanted Al Davis to accept a second team as a co-tenant and he decided to go back to Oakland instead (at least thats what he claims in the documentary Straight Out of LA). If LA gets a football team it should be just one. I can see putting a 3rd NBA team in Anaheim, but if the Kings leave Sacramento I would rather see them go to Seattle.

I could see a second NBA team in Chicago, the best candidate would be the Bobcats with Jordan as the owner. They have not drawn well in Charlotte. They have talked about a second NFL team there for years. I am not sure if they plan to build another stadium or share Soldier Field. I remember the Cardinals kept denying rumors in the late 90s that they were considering moving back. I could see 2 more NHL teams in Southern Ontario (Markham and Hamilton). A third MLB team in NYC would work as well, they had 3 and almost got a 4th at one point.

Lastly I could see a second MLB team in Boston. There is enough demand if you put a NL team in Fenway. I remember talk of that being a temporary home for the Expos years ago.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:59 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I can't see another basketball team working out here. The bulk of people here are Bulls fans, not NBA and basketball fans. Without the Jordan era, I don't think the fan base would be all that great to begin with. It would largely depend on corporate tickets, as that's 90% of the people at Bulls games currently.

Football on the other hand would absolutely work. No question.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:14 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Columbus is pushing for an NBA franchise.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote