2012-2013 World Junior Championships

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 07:55 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I see Scheifele developing into a very cerebral type player with high skill level who just goes about his business and gets the job done. He will likely never be elite, but he will be a perfect complimentary player in the top 6.

The more I watch him, the more he reminds me of a Patrick Sharp type player. If that's what he develops into, I'd be extremely happy with that.
Not a bad comparable, with guys like Kane and Wheeler as his likely linemates he's not going to have to carry the puck up ice that much.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:31 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
I do like Mark with Kane and Wheels......Mark tends to play well with the north south types, he could feed Kane all day and Mark would go to the net and cash in on rebounds off Kane's shots. Also Mark and Wheeler would be a very compelling combination and it does give Wheeler two solid shooter targets to set up. If Kane's game without the puck grows he and Scheif could be a great one two punch some day.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Ishkode

I'm pumped for the Scheifele ya know drinking games. Alcohol poisoning for all.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishkode View Post
My liver can't handle it....

Old
12-28-2012, 10:28 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
My liver can't handle it....
Drink an oz of malt liquor every time he says 'you know' in an interview.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Drink an oz of malt liquor every time he says 'you know' in an interview.
That's what I was referring to. My liver couldn't handle an oz for every "you know" because for some reason Mark is rattling off 20 or more "you knows" per interview.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
So pound a 26 in the time it takes to do an interview? That's hardcore.

Haha, that's our Scheif. It's okay to pause when you talk dude!

Old
12-29-2012, 12:29 AM
JetsHomer

I heard someone compare Scheifele to Jeff Carter and its always seemed pretty apt to me

Old
12-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Hammer Slammer
#MBMoose

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer

12-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Ishkode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
So pound a 26 in the time it takes to do an interview? That's hardcore.

Haha, that's our Scheif. It's okay to pause when you talk dude!
*Watch first period interview, drink, pass out, watch highlights next day*

Rinse and repeat boys, rinse and repeat.

Anyways been lurking a long time nice to finally say something Haha.
Scheif had a great game though. Cutting angles on the backcheck is always good in my book.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Back in Canada so catching up on my reading.
This is hillarious. Could you imagine a D corpse of only one lefty (Enstrom). We'd be the envy (handidness-wise) of the league having an excess of a tough to find position haha.
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Trouba-Bogosian
Redmond-Jones
Postma
(So many possible variations depending on year/usage)
Hahahahahah
Can you imagine all the proposals on the Trade Boards?

Old
12-29-2012, 07:50 AM
King Woodballs
**** This Place

vCash: 375
Lipon got 1 game

Old
12-29-2012, 08:35 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Lipon got 1 game
He is fortunate that was a blatant hit to the head. So if our guys can show some disipline we "might" be able to roll 4 lines against Russia.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
The big problem on the main board is the too many of the posters are "their prospect 1st" Canada 2nd fans. Sadly when Mark won the player of the game today he became a target. Mark had a very gutty performance and a tough day and produced on the score sheet.
I can actually identify myself with that. I am probably more excited to see Trouba and Mark play than I am to see the Swedish team play (don't get me wrong, if Trouba and Mark play well, I'm still perfectly happy seeing their team lose. I'm not happy if the Swedish team loses).

I think the problem is that people are looking for faults in players, instead of just cheering more on their own team's prospects. If a player makes a mistake (and let's be honest here, it's the Juniors, EVERYONE will make a blatant mistake or two), people starts looking more closely at that player, and will start complaining about everything. I think that's what happens and will continue to happen with Mark now that he was PotG for Canada. He will probably continue to fall down, and people will start complaining that he sucks.

Same thing with Trouba. He has a fairly aggressive style for being a defensive d-man, which unfortunately mean that he will lose coverage going for the hit once in a while. People will see that, and complain. He also isn't the optimal PPQB at this point, which means he will lose the puck or make a bad decision on the blueline once in a while. And people who already is watching him more closely, looking for mistakes, will see this and complain some more.

I actually (patting my own back) think I'm fairly objective towards other players. I am VERY biased when it comes to Mark's and Jacob's performances, but I don't look for faults in other players just because they're not my team's prospects. Atleast I would like to believe that I don't!

Old
12-29-2012, 09:12 AM
GermanJetsFan
Beaver Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
I can actually identify myself with that. I am probably more excited to see Trouba and Mark play than I am to see the Swedish team play (don't get me wrong, if Trouba and Mark play well, I'm still perfectly happy seeing their team lose. I'm not happy if the Swedish team loses).
So do I. I don't really care about the german team. I guess it's a good thing that we are in the A group and should be happy about that. Hockey will never be big in germany anyway. I only care about Trouba and Scheifele. I'm taking a look at other results and how others do but thats about it.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:04 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

And that's why I always appreciate input from guys like you Romang and GJF.
/brown-nosing

Now that I'm back, and have my life also back to normal, I'll be watching TC and USA's games to catchup :p although I know what to look forward to already.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Bob E

I also like the celebration by Scheif and Ouellet on the bench after Scheif's goal. This team looks like they really like each and support one another, which is good.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:18 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post

I think the problem is that people are looking for faults in players, instead of just cheering more on their own team's prospects. If a player makes a mistake (and let's be honest here, it's the Juniors, EVERYONE will make a blatant mistake or two), people starts looking more closely at that player, and will start complaining about everything. I think that's what happens and will continue to happen with Mark now that he was PotG for Canada. He will probably continue to fall down, and people will start complaining that he sucks.

Same thing with Trouba. He has a fairly aggressive style for being a defensive d-man, which unfortunately mean that he will lose coverage going for the hit once in a while. People will see that, and complain. He also isn't the optimal PPQB at this point, which means he will lose the puck or make a bad decision on the blueline once in a while. And people who already is watching him more closely, looking for mistakes, will see this and complain some more.

I actually (patting my own back) think I'm fairly objective towards other players. I am VERY biased when it comes to Mark's and Jacob's performances, but I don't look for faults in other players just because they're not my team's prospects. Atleast I would like to believe that I don't!
Very nice post

I have no problem with guys tuning in to watch their prospects or favorite player off their junior team that is half the fun with this tourney. I love seeing the future prospects that we might draft as well. last year is where I saw Trouba for the first time and he instantly became the guy I wanted the Jets to draft!! I also have zero issue with fans criticizing players, coach's, schemes, goaltending choices etc. Where I do have an issue is when posters come in with an agenda based on their prospect and troll players from their home country out of a petty grievance To your point Romang67 just waiting and watching Ryan Murphy for mistakes which he amply provides. to each his own I guess but I swear a good number of posters on the main board would be more happy if Canada lost as long as "their boy" excelled, was placed on the 1st line, played top 6 forward, was on the 1st PP unit etc etc.

case in point Mark winning player of the game you just new he was going to get trashed by fans of other prospects. Oh well?

Old
12-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
*Watch first period interview, drink, pass out, watch highlights next day*

Rinse and repeat boys, rinse and repeat.

Anyways been lurking a long time nice to finally say something Haha.
Scheif had a great game though. Cutting angles on the backcheck is always good in my book.
Welcome to HF Jets!

12-29-2012, 01:26 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 419
When I watch the Team Canada games I watch the team first and Scheifele second. Team USA, on the other hand, I'm pretty much just watching Trouba, and Jones (to tide me over for excitement when Trouba isn't on the ice).

Scheifele really impressed me yesterday. He kept getting tripped and hit, often behind the play, with no calls going his way at all but he never seemed frustrated by it. RNH on the other hand has been visibly frustrated often. Don't get me wrong, RNH is better, but yesterday Scheifele was the emotional leader of that team IMO. He kept his focus and got the all important go-ahead goal.

Watching that Russia-USA game yesterday I was extremely impressed by both Trouba and Jones. Trouba reminds me of Rob Blake actually. If I was the GM drafting first overall next summer, I'd easily take Jones ahead of McKinnon at this point - both have their question marks but Jones is just way too good of a skater to pass up.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
When I watch the Team Canada games I watch the team first and Scheifele second. Team USA, on the other hand, I'm pretty much just watching Trouba, and Jones (to tide me over for excitement when Trouba isn't on the ice).

Scheifele really impressed me yesterday. He kept getting tripped and hit, often behind the play, with no calls going his way at all but he never seemed frustrated by it. RNH on the other hand has been visibly frustrated often. Don't get me wrong, RNH is better, but yesterday Scheifele was the emotional leader of that team IMO. He kept his focus and got the all important go-ahead goal.

Watching that Russia-USA game yesterday I was extremely impressed by both Trouba and Jones. Trouba reminds me of Rob Blake actually. If I was the GM drafting first overall next summer, I'd easily take Jones ahead of McKinnon at this point - both have their question marks but Jones is just way too good of a skater to pass up.
Scheifele looks so much better this year at the WJC, compared to last year, to me. His confidence with the puck is much better. Would like to see him hit the net a bit more with his crazy hard shot, but hey, he's new to this "sniper" role. He also dumped pucks deep and was really hard on the forecheck yesterday, especially in the 3rd. He really played a smart, effective game. Nice to see.

I might be in the minority, but i feel Huberdeau is the weak link on that line. He seems to overplay the puck and doesn't move it when he should, and then does move it when he shouldn't, imo. I honestly would try Drouin with RNH and Scheifele to see what would happen. Huberdeau has had chemistry with Strome from last yr's WJC. Might work and improve both lines.

Trouba looks like a throw-back dman that can skate, play physical and has a bomb for a shot. He seems to be able to eat up tons of minutes and play at a very high level. Jones might have a greater offensive ceiling, but I really like what Trouba brings. Love the way he plays. I'm not sure if it's because he's a Jet, but i find myself drawn to everything he's doing on the ice, and think, hey - he's pretty good. He seems to control the game somewhat when he's out there, as does Jones. Rielly is like that as well, but i don't see that with Hamilton, tbh.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Whileee

A few random comments...

Scheifele was much better against Slovakia than earlier games. He was playing with more speed and much more intensity. He still seems pretty weak on his skates sometimes, though. He is still weak on the face-offs, based on the few he took. To be honest, I have been quite impressed by Strome - he seems to have good speed, balance and poise. I would put him a bit above Scheifele at this point in terms of potential, based only on what I have seen in the WJHC. One thing to note is that Scheifele is playing out of position. I think he'll do much better at C, with good fast scoring wingers (like Kane).

Trouba has looked very solid to me. I think he'll be a real anchor on defense in the future. I have seen some question his positioning, but I haven't seen him get caught out of position in the WJHC.

Jones looks like he is going to be a dominant franchise-type player. He still tries to do too much, but he is going to be a franchise changer in the mode of Pronger and Weber, I think.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Huffer

Watching Jones against the Russians gave me a very "Buff" vibe. And I mean that in a positive way.

Jones's skating looked very impressive. He could cover the ice very well, could pinch and recover (probably better than Buff, lol), and just seemed to be everywhere. I felt he played a Buff "rover" type game. He was strong offensively, skated well, and made good passes, but I don't think his defensive game is his strong suit yet.

Did anyone else get a Buff vibe? Not in a negative sense, just in how Jones seemed to roam?

Old
12-29-2012, 02:25 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Scheifele looks so much better this year at the WJC, compared to last year, to me. His confidence with the puck is much better. Would like to see him hit the net a bit more with his crazy hard shot, but hey, he's new to this "sniper" role. He also dumped pucks deep and was really hard on the forecheck yesterday, especially in the 3rd. He really played a smart, effective game. Nice to see.

I might be in the minority, but i feel Huberdeau is the weak link on that line. He seems to overplay the puck and doesn't move it when he should, and then does move it when he shouldn't, imo. I honestly would try Drouin with RNH and Scheifele to see what would happen. Huberdeau has had chemistry with Strome from last yr's WJC. Might work and improve both lines.

Trouba looks like a throw-back dman that can skate, play physical and has a bomb for a shot. He seems to be able to eat up tons of minutes and play at a very high level. Jones might have a greater offensive ceiling, but I really like what Trouba brings. Love the way he plays. I'm not sure if it's because he's a Jet, but i find myself drawn to everything he's doing on the ice, and think, hey - he's pretty good. He seems to control the game somewhat when he's out there, as does Jones. Rielly is like that as well, but i don't see that with Hamilton, tbh.
I agree with this, Hubs is very talented its just he has a bit of the Burmi thing going where he hangs onto the puck too long. Scheif and RNH can both get the puck on and off their sticks quickly whereas Hubs likes to rag the puck and wait for something to happen. I am not saying Hubs is not very good at what he does its just a style difference. I am really interested to see how they do now that the competition begins to get tougher?

Old
12-29-2012, 02:44 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
A few random comments...

Scheifele was much better against Slovakia than earlier games. He was playing with more speed and much more intensity. He still seems pretty weak on his skates sometimes, though. He is still weak on the face-offs, based on the few he took. To be honest, I have been quite impressed by Strome - he seems to have good speed, balance and poise. I would put him a bit above Scheifele at this point in terms of potential, based only on what I have seen in the WJHC. One thing to note is that Scheifele is playing out of position. I think he'll do much better at C, with good fast scoring wingers (like Kane).

Trouba has looked very solid to me. I think he'll be a real anchor on defense in the future. I have seen some question his positioning, but I haven't seen him get caught out of position in the WJHC.

Jones looks like he is going to be a dominant franchise-type player. He still tries to do too much, but he is going to be a franchise changer in the mode of Pronger and Weber, I think.
I agree on Strome last year I wasn't that impressed but he seems much better this year. He is a slick player with serious skills. I will be interested to see if his skill set transitions well to the NHL. For some reason I sense he and Mark are destined to be compared as the years go on. Different types of players but both very effective at the junior level.

To your point on Trouba on occasion he can over commit to a hit or a rush which leave his team hanging but for the most part it is rare and out of aggression and confidence. When he reels it in he is very good positionally. One of his main assets that isn't discussed much is he has allot of poise and never looks flustered in his own end on coverage assignments. When the puck hits his stick in his own zone he is very relaxed and confident and tends to make the quick simple pass well. I agree he will be an anchor type that will be very good defensively. I also think he could be ready to go sooner rather than later, I see this season and "maybe" next in Michigan but then I think he could make the jump.

Jones makes mistakes but its not bone headed plays its just the type of mistakes young players with allot of talent make. He is so fun to watch cover the ice!! they have been giving him a bit too rough a ride on the US board for getting beat wide on the game winning goal vs Russia but that was not the issue it was the other 3 US players standing around watching as the only Russian skated in and put away the rebound.

Closed Thread