HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 06:15 PM
MaxLacoste

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If the Habs pick in the top four any one of those players will be great for the team's future.
Exactly. I always find it funny to watch people debate on players with elite potential that you can only get with luck. In 2013, if you get a top6 pick, you pick what left and you are still happy with it. Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones, Monahan, Barkov, Lindholm are all players that Montreal need. We don't have player like that, except for Gally. I would pick any of those kid with no regret. They will all be special (but different) players. But there's only slim chances that we pick near the top5. If the lock out goes on, the draft lottery is not in our favor. If we have a half-season, with Price, we can be "lucky" and get a playoff spot. We just got lucky enough last year with picking Gally at 3rd overall, let's not believe that we can make a "Edmonton" out of ourselves. The real odd are that we're gonna pick around 15th. Even that pick could be awesome.

Also, we should all remember that we have 3 second round picks. Those picks are super valuable with the 2013 draft class. We could get the prospect depth every winning team need. Those prospects will not be depth players, there are some players project to go in the 2nd round with top6/top4 potential. And we have a very good chance to pick them.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:28 PM
FF de Mars

I'm very much impressed by Drouin. He might have the best vision of the crop.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Ginu

For some reason, last year I felt we were getting Galchenyuk, and this year we'll get Monahan. Drouin will go too early for us.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:42 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Exactly. I always find it funny to watch people debate on players with elite potential that you can only get with luck. In 2013, if you get a top6 pick, you pick what left and you are still happy with it. Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones, Monahan, Barkov, Lindholm are all players that Montreal need. We don't have player like that, except for Gally. I would pick any of those kid with no regret. They will all be special (but different) players. But there's only slim chances that we pick near the top5. If the lock out goes on, the draft lottery is not in our favor. If we have a half-season, with Price, we can be "lucky" and get a playoff spot. We just got lucky enough last year with picking Gally at 3rd overall, let's not believe that we can make a "Edmonton" out of ourselves. The real odd are that we're gonna pick around 15th. Even that pick could be awesome.

Also, we should all remember that we have 3 second round picks. Those picks are super valuable with the 2013 draft class. We could get the prospect depth every winning team need. Those prospects will not be depth players, there are some players project to go in the 2nd round with top6/top4 potential. And we have a very good chance to pick them.
TBH, I don't see us having the scoring depth to make the playoffs. If pleks is done for any significant amount of time, the habs are done. There's also Markov who is a question mark. Well, the entire defensive corps besides Gorges and Subban is a question mark... I'm pretty confident in a high draft pick. I'm not looking forward to seeing us lose, though.

A cancelled season straight up ****s the habs, though.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
For some reason, last year I felt we were getting Galchenyuk, and this year we'll get Monahan. Drouin will go too early for us.
I say we get Lindholm. Gut feeling.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Simerc

Shinkaruk

Shinkaruk - Galchenyuk - ???

Datsyuk? Kovalchuk?

Old
12-28-2012, 11:02 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Woah.

https://twitter.com/tsnjamesduthie/s...30151399469057

james duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie
One of the more intriguing things in NHL offer is a draft lottery that would give all non-playoff teams a chance at first pick. Overdue.

Basically what the NBA has.
If this means that finishing 17th or 18th overall provides same chance at no. 1 pick as finishing 30th overall, it's a brilliant move, and long overdue.

This could finally solve the problem of Habs Syndrome, teams that make a huge effort, just miss all the time, and never get the chance to draft a star, and then move out of that endless finishing 10th to 7th in conference world.

It also eliminates multiple tanking teams like the Oil and the Pens from being assured no. one overall. This I really like.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simerc View Post
Shinkaruk

Datsyuk? Kovalchuk?
Darche

Old
12-28-2012, 11:26 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I wasn't necessarily implying that those teams intentionally tanked - but you can't deny that those teams are proof that playing poorly consistently can directly turn your franchise around. None of those teams would be where they are today if it weren't for the high draft picks they reaped as a result of being bad teams.

Therefore, logically it goes to say that losing or being in the basement for a few years can have a dramatic and positive effect on a team a few years later, in some cases (Chicago & Pittsburgh) leading directly to a Stanley Cup.

So why sweat over trying to rebuild your team via trades and free agency when you can just let the draft do it for you? If you can afford to spend a few years in the gutter, of course.
Great post, and my position exactly. Always has been my position.

Teams should show some progress if they are very bad. The NHL has to stop allowing teams that are very bad for 3-4 years in a row the highest chance at no. one overall picks.

It is completely unfair to teams, like the Habs for example, or Carolina, that work hard to improve, and never have a chance at the number one. Even this past draft, our chances of winning the lottery were not that great.

As it is, the draft rewards bad management, year after year, and that is wrong.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:37 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I hate the NBA draft style, every so often you get a borderline playoff team fluke their way into the number 1 overall pick. Plus it makes tanking even more appealing, since you can have 10 teams all intentionally sucking and any one of them could end up drafting first.

The NHL lotto is much fairer IMO.
You think Carolina in 9th place, 3 points out, on March 20th, will tank to finish 10th, and miss millions in first round revenues, and still not have a guaranteed no. one overall. That's what you are saying. Don't think so.

What this proposal really means is:

1. That the bottom 3 teams in every conference no longer have as high a temptation to tank their last 10 games, thus almost guaranteeing the first overall. See Oilers, Edmonton.

2. The next 4 teams up can still fight for a PO spot, knowing if they just miss, they still have a chance at the number one.

It is an excellent proposal. Your argument is simply wrong. The NHL draft was rewarding intentional losing, and that has to end.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:45 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think a good system might be:

There are 14 teams that don't make the playoffs, so,

14 balls for the last place team
13 balls for the second to last place team
12 balls for the third to last place team
etc ...

This doesn't promote tanking, but it still means that on average better players will go to lesser teams.
Not bad, but in order to prevent the 'Lemieux and Crosby both end up in Pittsburgh syndrome', in which a HUGE generational player is a temptation for massive tanking, I would propose a preliminary 1 ball each lottery for all non PO teams for 1st pick only, followed by your system for the remaining 13 non PO teams.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:51 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
In my observations NBA teams are much more prone to intentionally tanking than NHL teams. Part of it is the nature of the sport - the NBA is much more dependant on individual star players than the NHL is, but by the end of the season you often have a quarter of the league trying to tank because the worst ten teams are all "rewarded" with a shot at the number one pick. In hockey even if you don't think you can make the playoffs, teams that aren't the worst of the worst tend to fight to the end.
I don't see this happening in Hockey, unless Mario Lemiuex is being drafted that year. Are seriously saying that a 9th-12th place team in March will tank and miss the PO for a 1in 14 chance at no. one overall? This is just idiotic.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:59 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post

What utter bollocks.

We don't need more 'depth' players. Every team has depth players. We need stars. The chances of a second round pick becoming a star in the NHL are extremely low.

And our chance of a top 5 pick if we play this year are damn good. Here's two of the big reasons why:

1. There will not be huge win streaks by bad teams in a 48 game season. The good teams will be gunning from the start.

2. Markov will not have time to adjust.

In conclusion, I would say a short season increases the Habs chances of finishing badly.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:16 AM
rockjngo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simerc View Post
Shinkaruk

Datsyuk? Kovalchuk?

I would skip Shinkaruk, his face looks weird. Plays like a perimeter player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I say we get Lindholm. Gut feeling.
Lindholm has been compared to Guy Carboneau. I say Patrice Bergeron. Not bad.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:32 AM
EveryDay

Who would you guys take first OV MacKinnon or Jones?

Old
12-29-2012, 10:12 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Nichushkin looked very good today in the USA-Russia game. Looks a bit like Lindros out there IMO. I really like his play on the boards. He was even giving Jones some fits in the defensive end matching his size and speed if not smoothness of skating. I can see where the tunnel-vision comment come from, but he eats up the ice so quickly with his big long strides and barrels into open space with so much confidence, it's hard to fault him for not passing it to teammates ahead of him sometimes. Anyways, he really has a tremendous package of size, skating, stickhandling and shot. If he falls to the second round because of the contract he signed in the KHL, I wouldn't mind if the Canadiens took a chance on him.

Haven't seen him play much yet, but he reminds me a lot of Andrei Kostitsyn. Remains to be seen if he has hockey sense, unlike le Frère André.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:25 AM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Hard to say, both would transform our organisation. As for now, I would take Jones. But only because we have Price. Jones-Subban-Tinordi-Beaulieu-Gorges-Emelin could be our best defense corp since the 70s. Adding Price to that, and you have a team that will allow the fewest goals almost every year.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Fozz

I would still prefer that all 30 teams have an equal chance at drafting first but this proposal is definitely a step in the right direction. This would effectively put an end to rewarding mediocrity.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Great post, and my position exactly. Always has been my position.

Teams should show some progress if they are very bad. The NHL has to stop allowing teams that are very bad for 3-4 years in a row the highest chance at no. one overall picks.

It is completely unfair to teams, like the Habs for example, or Carolina, that work hard to improve, and never have a chance at the number one. Even this past draft, our chances of winning the lottery were not that great.

As it is, the draft rewards bad management, year after year, and that is wrong.
Besides Edmonton and Pittsburgh how many teams have been that bad for more than a year or two? Maybe it would be better to penalize a team like Edmonton with a five drafting place penalty after picking 1st twice in a row.

I don't mind teams moving up or down a couple of places but I don't like the sound of this one bit.

The only thing worse then letting idiots own and run sports franchises is letting idiots who don't own sport franchises run sport franchises.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:40 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I would still prefer that all 30 teams have an equal chance at drafting first but this proposal is definitely a step in the right direction. This would effectively put an end to rewarding mediocrity.
That would be great idea for the Habs when they are winning the SC every year and getting the 1st overall as well,that's the reason they have it the way it's now.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:02 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Not 2013 but the U17 is going on right now. Watch on fasthockey.com for free.

Starring: McDavid, Nylander, Ho-Sang, McKeown, Ekblad, Eichel, Dal Colle, etc. Sam Bennett and Chris Birdsall look great so far.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:09 PM
TYLENOL

Im going to pray that the habs dont have a good season because top- end talent from this draft is exactly what they need. I dont see them doing anything great with what they have now, maybe they'll be in 8th place at best.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
That would be great idea for the Habs when they are winning the SC every year and getting the 1st overall as well,that's the reason they have it the way it's now.
We're not in the '70s anymore and they now have rules in place to promote parity with the salary floor & cap. No need to reward the inaptitude of GMs with high draft picks.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I go with Mac. Having a 1-2 Punch of gally and mac in years to go would be amazing. Plus you can trade pleks ++ for an upgrade on D.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Et le But

I'm torn between Mac and Jones, Mac gives a very different skillset from Gally which would give us a great offensive core, but building from the defense up via Jones might be a better idea...

Drouin I'd love but I'm not sure I'd pick him ahead of Barkov or Lindholm, let alone Mac or Jones.

Closed Thread