HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 07:43 PM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Matt Donovan PPG makes it 2-0
Nice Goal, love his shot... wish he would use it more. Kind of a half slapper top left corner with Colin MacDonald setting a screen in front.

I am not sure who this Chad Costello guy is, I know he is 5'9" and has little pedigree, but he is ALL over the ice. Has two points tonight and had one last night.

Dylan McIlrath playing in his first game of the season, ran Cantin and took an elbow penalty, shortly thereafter Gallant and McIlrath fought. Gallant won a clear decision, landed a ton of good shots, McIlrath spent most of the fight looking the opposite direction.

2-0 Bridgeport after the first period

Old
12-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Persson makes it 3-0 on a nice goal.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Nice Goal, love his shot... wish he would use it more. Kind of a half slapper top left corner with Colin MacDonald setting a screen in front.

I am not sure who this Chad Costello guy is, I know he is 5'9" and has little pedigree, but he is ALL over the ice. Has two points tonight and had one last night.

Dylan McIlrath playing in his first game of the season, ran Cantin and took an elbow penalty, shortly thereafter Gallant and McIlrath fought. Gallant won a clear decision, landed a ton of good shots, McIlrath spent most of the fight looking the opposite direction.

2-0 Bridgeport after the first period
Both Costello and Combs play for the Colorado Eagles in the ECHL and are 1 and 2 in scoring in their league.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
InformTheMasses

Persson goal was amazing... top 10 sportscenter worthy. Behind the back give and go with MacDonald.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:30 PM
InformTheMasses

3-0 after 2 periods. McIlrath is still slow as Molasses. Also has an incredibly low Hockey IQ, just chases you down and tries to run you. He's going to take a lot of penalties and cause his defense partner to face a lot of odd man rushes. Can not believe the Rangers took him over Cam Fowler. THANK YOU Glenn Sather.

That said, he is going to be a player I love to hate.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Isles Enforcer

Quote:
3-0 after 2 periods. McIlrath is still slow as Molasses. Also has an incredibly low Hockey IQ, just chases you down and tries to run you. He's going to take a lot of penalties and cause his defense partner to face a lot of odd man rushes. Can not believe the Rangers took him over Cam Fowler. THANK YOU Glenn Sather.

He's been playing very dirty tonight.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:17 PM
InformTheMasses

Game Over. 3-0 Bridgeport. Poulin 36 Save Shutout. He played great, plenty of high quality saves.

Stars of the game:

3 Colin MacDonald
2 Chad Costello (I liked what I saw the last couple of nights)
1 Kevin Poulin

Old
12-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Isles Enforcer

Best game Poulin has played this season.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:58 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Best game Poulin has played this season.
Poulin got off to a slow start last season and came on strong to have a very solid second half. He got off to another slow start this year and has been playing very well of late.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:03 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

When your nickname is 'The Undertaker' from his WHL days... I really hope he is a major bust because I do not want him playing against the Isles.

Did Gallant really win the fight? Because from the little I know of McIlrath, the kid supposedly wrecks people.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Huge boost to this club back to back wins against the Whale.. Looks like the kids are starting to right the ship after some a wretched losing streak. Its crazy that even with the 8 (9?) game streak they're still the 6th seed.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:10 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
When your nickname is 'The Undertaker' from his WHL days... I really hope he is a major bust because I do not want him playing against the Isles.

Did Gallant really win the fight? Because from the little I know of McIlrath, the kid supposedly wrecks people.
It wasn't a 'knockout' or anything, but Gallant won the fight easily. McIlrath was never in REAL trouble and go a quasi takedown at the end (he ought to, he is much bigger). Bt the fight lasted a while and Gallant landed a lot more solid shots to the face and head of McIlrath (lefts AND rights). McIlrath really only landed a couple shots, and they didn't do much at all.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

http://youtu.be/E3c93WJjEK8

Persson's goal was straight-up filthy! Go to 1:42 if you just want to see amazing play.

I have to say, Persson is looking better and better every game. For just a 20 year old, he looks like a solid prospect. He has the size and jam to play in the NHL, and he is making some really nice moves out there offensively.

And here is his filthy assist from the day before: http://youtu.be/BHsvGS1bKGM

Go to 0:53 to see it. There is even a replay.

Last edited by Brain Hemorrhage: 12-28-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 01:00 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
It wasn't a 'knockout' or anything, but Gallant won the fight easily. McIlrath was never in REAL trouble and go a quasi takedown at the end (he ought to, he is much bigger). Bt the fight lasted a while and Gallant landed a lot more solid shots to the face and head of McIlrath (lefts AND rights). McIlrath really only landed a couple shots, and they didn't do much at all.
Saw the fight from the videos Brain posted.

Gallant is one tough hombre and fearless. I was impressed with him ever since I saw him fight in the preseason game up in the Boston area. He landed a shot that you heard from anywhere in the rink and you saw the other guy's knees buckle. Glad he's on the squad as he's needed to keep a lookout for our prized kids.

Expected more from McIlrath though. I remember watching some of his Junior fights and he looked like... well, 'The Undertaker'

Old
12-28-2012, 01:06 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Saw the fight from the videos Brain posted.

Gallant is one tough hombre and fearless. I was impressed with him ever since I saw him fight in the preseason game up in the Boston area. He landed a shot that you heard from anywhere in the rink and you saw the other guy's knees buckle. Glad he's on the squad as he's needed to keep a lookout for our prized kids.

Expected more from McIlrath though. I remember watching some of his Junior fights and he looked like... well, 'The Undertaker'
Was Paul Bearer following him around?

Old
12-28-2012, 01:10 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
http://youtu.be/E3c93WJjEK8

Persson's goal was straight-up filthy! Go to 1:42 if you just want to see amazing play.
Yup and notice who got faked out of his jock and was doing snow angels on the ice? The long Island boy everyone wanted and was upset signed with the rangers. He looked absolutely sick (in a very bad way) on that play.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Was Paul Bearer following him around?
Paul Bearer's real name is William Moody, father was actor King Moody.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:42 PM
scott99

Wow, Persson and Sundstrom really look good. Ullstrom as well. And on the first video, geez, you really can see how confident Niederreiter is, just playing so well around the net.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:53 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Does Jon Landry have a chance to be next years Dylan Reese (7th D-man, back and forth btwn Bridgeport and LI)?? Is he good enough fo 30-40 pro games??

Who plays more games (if any) with the big club out of our Swedes in the Bridge (Sundstrom, Persson, and Ullstrom) next season?? .. Who has the best offensive potential of the three??

Old
12-29-2012, 06:23 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Does Jon Landry have a chance to be next years Dylan Reese (7th D-man, back and forth btwn Bridgeport and LI)?? Is he good enough fo 30-40 pro games??

Who plays more games (if any) with the big club out of our Swedes in the Bridge (Sundstrom, Persson, and Ullstrom) next season?? .. Who has the best offensive potential of the three??
On Jon Landry... heck no. First, he is an Unrestricted Free Agent after this season. With the Islanders expected to sign some of their defenceman with more potential (Pedan, Kichton, Mayfield, Russo, etc) guys like Landry will be replaced. I realize he has some nice stat lines, and his offensive game has been decent for Bridgeport, his defense is absolutely brutal. I would expect guys like Donovan and Ness heck even Wishart and Katic to have opportunities on Long Island long before Landry.

As far as the UPS line, very good questions. Before the season, the answer to me for both questions undoubtedly would have been Ullstrom. I still think Ullstrom is the most talented offensively and has the most NHL scoring potential of the three. His Size/Speed/Hands/Shot combo is NHL level. I think given the opportunity on a top 2 scoring line and at least occasional PP time he could emerge as a 25+ goal scorer at the NHL level. He is also the most seasoned and experienced of the 3. He will be an RFA after this season and will no longer be on an ELC. I think his time is now.

I always liked the Sundstrom pick, but how quickly he has come over to the AHL and become a force offensively has taken me by surprise a bit. Sundstrom will only be 21 years old next season, but with the Islanders starving for size and skill on the 3rd and 4th lines, Sundstrom has a very good chance of making the team as a checking line forward and producing right away. I'm excited to see what he does for the rest of this season.

Persson is coming on late and taking advantage of some added ice time. He is still only 20 and was a 5th round pick in 2011. I think he is progressing nicely and is right on track with his development. Unless he takes i to another level and goes on a tear the second half of this season and is on fire in next years camp, I would expect him back in Bridgeport next season getting a lot of playing time even PP time if earned.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:55 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
On Jon Landry... heck no. First, he is an Unrestricted Free Agent after this season. With the Islanders expected to sign some of their defenceman with more potential (Pedan, Kichton, Mayfield, Russo, etc) guys like Landry will be replaced. I realize he has some nice stat lines, and his offensive game has been decent for Bridgeport, his defense is absolutely brutal. I would expect guys like Donovan and Ness heck even Wishart and Katic to have opportunities on Long Island long before Landry.

As far as the UPS line, very good questions. Before the season, the answer to me for both questions undoubtedly would have been Ullstrom. I still think Ullstrom is the most talented offensively and has the most NHL scoring potential of the three. His Size/Speed/Hands/Shot combo is NHL level. I think given the opportunity on a top 2 scoring line and at least occasional PP time he could emerge as a 25+ goal scorer at the NHL level. He is also the most seasoned and experienced of the 3. He will be an RFA after this season and will no longer be on an ELC. I think his time is now.

I always liked the Sundstrom pick, but how quickly he has come over to the AHL and become a force offensively has taken me by surprise a bit. Sundstrom will only be 21 years old next season, but with the Islanders starving for size and skill on the 3rd and 4th lines, Sundstrom has a very good chance of making the team as a checking line forward and producing right away. I'm excited to see what he does for the rest of this season.

Persson is coming on late and taking advantage of some added ice time. He is still only 20 and was a 5th round pick in 2011. I think he is progressing nicely and is right on track with his development. Unless he takes i to another level and goes on a tear the second half of this season and is on fire in next years camp, I would expect him back in Bridgeport next season getting a lot of playing time even PP time if earned.
Maybe Persson could be our late round Swede steal. Detroit had theirs, Ottawa had theirs, even the Rags had theirs... we need to get ours.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:04 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Maybe Persson could be our late round Swede steal. Detroit had theirs, Ottawa had theirs, even the Rags had theirs... we need to get ours.
Ullstrom was taken in the 4th round 102nd overall. I think he qualifies.

Persson is a little different than the other late picks you are referring to, as he was taken in the draft after 2 years of Junior hockey with a lot more viability to scouts prior to the draft. The others were selected without any North American Exposure or at least very little.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:07 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Ullstrom was taken in the 4th round 102nd overall. I think he qualifies.

Persson is a little different than the other late picks you are referring to, as he was taken in the draft after 2 years of Junior hockey with a lot more viability to scouts prior to the draft. The others were selected without any North American Exposure or at least very little.
Which is why I thought very little of it when we actually took him, but his play this year is giving me some hope for him having a successful NHL career. He plays a pretty solid all-around game. IMO he could end up fitting on any line if his game translates.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:07 AM
BillD

All three of our Swedes have impressed me.
Ullstrom is the oldest and the most developed, really has all the tools needed for an NHL roster spot. The question with him is what is his upside?

Sundstrom and Persson have shown early ability in their first pro season. Sunstrom is a very complete package that is getting better with adjustment to the NA game and rink.
Persson has shown more than what I was expecting in his puck handling ability and vision. His skating is not too bad, can afford to get quicker first step and greater lateral movement. He compensates by using his size and strength where it matters.

I could envision all 3 Swedes on the Island (Bklyn) as roster regulars within 2 years.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
All three of our Swedes have impressed me.
Ullstrom is the oldest and the most developed, really has all the tools needed for an NHL roster spot. The question with him is what is his upside?

Sundstrom and Persson have shown early ability in their first pro season. Sunstrom is a very complete package that is getting better with adjustment to the NA game and rink.
Persson has shown more than what I was expecting in his puck handling ability and vision. His skating is not too bad, can afford to get quicker first step and greater lateral movement. He compensates by using his size and strength where it matters.

I could envision all 3 Swedes on the Island (Bklyn) as roster regulars within 2 years.
I think Sundstrom is probably our most underrated forward prospect. Considering this is his first season in North America where the rinks are smaller and the game is more physical, and it happens to be at the pro level and not Junior Hockey, IMO what he's been able to do so far is extremely impressive.

With guys like Strome and Nelson eventually battling it out for that 2nd line spot, I think Sundstrom could end up being a very nice 3rd line center for us if/when the time comes. IMO it will all depends on what this team decides to do with Nielsen in the future.

Question though, has Sundstrom had any experience playing wing? If so I think he'll have a much better shot at a top-6 spot on the Island.

Closed Thread