HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Ari91

vCash: 500
Canada has a lot to work on and little time to do it. I don't see how they survive either US or Russia with the way they've been playing. Murphy needs to have his minutes reduced. Reilly should be getting more minutes with Oulette. And Binnington needs an opportunity against the US and you give him the opportunity against Russia if he plays well against the US. Spott stupidly said that whichever goalie that starts the tournament will be the goalie that the team rides with but it's not a spot that is given, it's a spot that's earned. Nothing wrong with teaching young players the importance of battling through adversity rather than succumbing to it. No knock on Subban and regardless of the result, I would never trash a bunch of kids for their efforts, especially in a voluntary effort where the pride is all about representing the flag on their jersey - but it's not fair as a coach if you don't make decisions that give your team the best chance to win. All players deserve that kind of commitment from their coach - not convinced that Spott is willing to adjust for the betterment of the team.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
The second goal by Dano concerned me. Yes, it was on a 5 on 3; however, Subban's 5 hole was pretty large on that play maybe its just me or don't most goalies go post to post in the butterfly position?

Old
12-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Surprised Jones has been impressing you. He's been a turnover machine. He does show great promise, but may I ask why you didn't "like" him before ?
Well, "Impressed" might have been the wrong word. Better potential maybe? I haven't been able to watch them both till this tournament. So I've seen a bit of Nathan, and a little of Seth. Nathan's a good skater, but he looks tiny and I haven't noticed him at all which for a top prospect seems odd.

Turnovers, yes ... but I see more potential in Seth right now. Nice shot, big body, also a decent skater, but its so hard to get a good read on young D as well.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:19 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Subban isn't a "horribad" goalie. He's a very good goalie who is just fighting the puck right now and trying to overcompensate because of it. He has no confidence at all and his body language gives that one away.

I'd give it to Binnington right now because he probably would have more confidence and we can't have Malcolm fighting the puck against USA or Russia. However, that does not make Binnington a much better goalie at this stage.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
The second goal by Dano concerned me. Yes, it was on a 5 on 3; however, Subban's 5 hole was pretty large on that play maybe its just me or don't most goalies go post to post in the butterfly position?
Actually, it is something that some goalies are being taught more I've been told by some younger players than I. Its important to keep your pads on the ice while moving laterally quickly. Dwayne Roloson is/was really good at this.

I still personally think a good read on the play, push and butterfly is more effective and faster myself. I think young goalies tend to go into the Butterfly almost by default rather than reading the play, and responding accordingly. No point in wasting time and effort going butterfly if the goalie is able to read that the shot is going high imo.

Last edited by Patch101: 12-28-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Patch101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Subban isn't a "horribad" goalie. He's a very good goalie who is just fighting the puck right now and trying to overcompensate because of it. He has no confidence at all and his body language gives that one away.

I'd give it to Binnington right now because he probably would have more confidence and we can't have Malcolm fighting the puck against USA or Russia. However, that does not make Binnington a much better goalie at this stage.
All I see from him is an reactionary + athletic goalie. He needs to develop a lot more. When I see a goalie raising his hands in the air it shows me that he's saying "not my fault, nothing I could do" or could even be read as pointing blame at his team. His play reminds me a lot of M.A. Fleury when he was young or even Kevin Weekes when he played pro ... a quick goalie with weak technical skills, but its way to early to make comparisons. He's young, and he needs to learn a lot more.

This is not the time to ride a goalie who doesn't seem to be able to handle himself despite his draft status and who his brothers are. The better goalie should play, and TRUST me when this tournament started I thought we had a stud in net. I'm really disappointed.

Last edited by Patch101: 12-28-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 11:27 PM
WarriorofTime

Blackhawks fan saying McNeill is horrible. I dunno if he's capable of better things or not but I hope so. He is either invisible or making bad plays all over the ice.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
All I see from him is an reactionary + athletic goalie. He needs to develop a lot more. When I see a goalie raising his hands in the air it shows me that he's saying "not my fault, nothing I could do" or could even be read as pointing blame at his team. His play reminds me a lot of M.A. Fleury when he was young or even Kevin Weekes when he played pro ... a quick goalie with weak technical skills, but its way to early to make comparisons. He's young, and he needs to learn a lot more.

This is not the time to ride a goalie who doesn't seem to be able to handle himself despite his draft status and who his brothers are. The better goalie should play, and TRUST me when this tournament started I thought we had a stud in net. I'm really disappointed.
Kevin Weekes is an interesting comparison.

As a canuck fan i remember when we got him and he was billed as the goalie of the future.

Lot of excitement about this raw but really athletic tender.

Sadly the situation proved otherwise.

Like i said on the GDT you can be athletic all you want but if that positioning etc is missing then good luck.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:59 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Completely agreed. Murphy does whatever he wants on the ice and seems to show no concern about being where he should be. At this point he's proving to be a Jack Johnson who can't even play as a good teammate.
I mentioned it during the game, but there was actually a shift in the Canadian end where Tyler Wotherspoon was essentially cross checking Murphy in front of the net in an attempt to get him to move to the appropriate spot on the ice. I could not help but to have a chuckle about that.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
I don't like how little Spott is playing MacKinnon, and I don't like how much he's playing Murphy. I don't think Murphy's been terrible or anything, but he's not adding much offense, which was pretty much the reason he made the team. Use him on the PP, but play Reinhart, Oulette or Wotherspoon more at 5 on 5.

I also don't understand Spott's unwillingness to use MacKinnon and Drouin together. They have proven chemistry. He used them on occasion tonight, but not a whole lot. Especially considering how Ritchie's thus far been invisible, why not try MacKinnon on the RW with Strome and Drouin?

Canada, as a whole, still looks very beatable. For about 40 minutes tonight, it was difficult to tell which was supposed to be one of the favorites of the tournament. A lot of that comes down to Spott. IMO, I haven't been impressed with his team's organization the first couple of games. And before anyone mentions being 2-0, if that was the US and Russia we'd played these past two games instead of Germany and Slovakia, I don't think Canada's 2-0.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Lineup for next game:

Jonathan Huberdeau -Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Mark Scheifele
Jonathan Drouin - Ryan Strome - Nathan MacKinnon
Brett Ritchie - Philippe Danault - Ty Rattie
Ryan Murphy - Mark McNeill - Anthony Camara

Scott Harrington - Dougie Hamilton
Griffin Reinhart - Xavier Ouellet
Morgan Rielly - Tyler Wotherspoon

Subban

OR

Anthony Camara - Ryan Strome - Brett Ritchie
Jonathan Drouin - Nathan MacKinnon - Ty Rattie
Ryan Murphy - Philippe Danault - Mark McNeill

Old
12-29-2012, 03:07 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
From the angle the shooter was as a goalie you want to be tight to the post cause that's about all the shooter has (short side). As Subban brought his pad up to the post it opened up his five hole more. He read the play well as he was not at the top of the paint when the passer had the puck. If anything Harrington could have read the play better. He moved towards the guy in the slot making it an easy pass to Dano. Not placing it on Harrington at all, it's a 5 on 3. Tough to defend.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:19 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
Lineup for next game:

Subban

OR

I would swap Hamilton with Rielly. Hamilton has been dog ****, while Rielly has played decent. Rielly and Murphy on the point on the pp was much more fluid and moved the puck better/quicker than Hamilton Rielly did.

Or put Rielly with Reinhart. They would work well together imo.

Also Binnington in for Subban.

And plant a kilo of horse on Spott and report him to the cops.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:52 AM
Qrispy

Harrington, Reinhart, Ouellet, and Rielly have all been better than Hamilton. What is up with him?

Old
12-29-2012, 07:46 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
Lineup for next game:

Subban

OR

This team will not win. It is running into bad luck.

7 hours ago
@markhmasters: Brett Ritchie (maintenance day) not taking part in Canada's practice

Anyone has any more info??

Old
12-29-2012, 09:34 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I would swap Hamilton with Rielly. Hamilton has been dog ****, while Rielly has played decent. Rielly and Murphy on the point on the pp was much more fluid and moved the puck better/quicker than Hamilton Rielly did.

You may not like what IAmTheLiQuor has to say but you have to love the way he says it. Don't sugar coat it kid, tell it to them straight.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:38 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
This team will not win. It is running into bad luck.
I worry about that too. It seems like everything that can go wrong, has. Oh well...

In 20 hours we will know how good this team is and whether we need to change goalies - before the medal round. With the wins against Slovakia and Germany, we can't finish any lower that 3rd so...

It will give the coaching staff a chance to put humpty dumpty back together - if necessary.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:39 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Agree completely.

Don't know what Spott is doing, but I'm really not liking his coaching style. Some of his decisions are head scratchers for sure. Hamilton shouldn't be playing top line minutes and Ryan Murphy shouldn't playing outside of the PP and the occasional even strength shift. If anyone other than Spott was the coach he wouldn't even be on the team.

I like the idea of Rielly and Reinhart to let them develop some chemistry for next year and go with the offensive/defensive type pairing, but unfortunately they'll both likely be in the NHL next season. They'd be intriguing to watch this time around though.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:41 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I worry about that too. It seems like everything that can go wrong, has. Oh well...

In 20 hours we will know how good this team is and whether we need to change goalies - before the medal round. With the wins against Slovakia and Germany, we can't finish any lower that 3rd so...

It will give the coaching staff a chance to put humpty dumpty back together - if necessary.
I worry about how this team will respond against USA. After playing Germany and Slovakia this should be their first real test. Slovakia gave them a real run for their money, so I'd hate to see what Russia and USA can do against Canada.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:45 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Don't know what Spott is doing, but I'm really not liking his coaching style. Some of his decisions are head scratchers for sure. Hamilton shouldn't be playing top line minutes and Ryan Murphy shouldn't playing outside of the PP and the occasional even strength shift. If anyone other than Spott was the coach he wouldn't even be on the team.
I agree as well. Sometimes I think he has taken a page from the 2010 Mike Babcock Olympic book of coaching - during the round robin, thro everything at the wall and see what sticks. Then take what sticks and run with it in the medal round.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:47 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I worry about how this team will respond against USA. After playing Germany and Slovakia this should be their first real test. Slovakia gave them a real run for their money, so I'd hate to see what Russia and USA can do against Canada.
I think we are all worried. The Americans will be hungry after their loss to the Russians, they will be well rested and healthy. We, on the other hand, have struggled against lesser lights, are down 2 men and we have a goalie no one has confidence in.

A recipe for disaster???

Old
12-29-2012, 09:56 AM
G51 K81*

Anyone dislike the fact that Spott doesn't make the team accountable for bad penalties and just whines to the media about bad Euro reffing?

Also Murphy is that guy everyone dislikes on a team.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Anyone dislike the fact that Spott doesn't make the team accountable for bad penalties and just whines to the media about bad Euro reffing?

Also Murphy is that guy everyone dislikes on a team.
Spott benched Strome for the rest of the 3rd period after he took his 2nd tripping penalty against Slovakia.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:30 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
You may not like what IAmTheLiQuor has to say but you have to love the way he says it. Don't sugar coat it kid, tell it to them straight.
Haha, I do dig IATL's no nonsense style myself.

I'd like to see a Rielly-Reinhart pairing. Rielly can play his game knowing that Big Griff has got his back. Activating a d-man with the dynamic offensive skills of Rielly against the USA could really help them.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Haha, I do dig IATL's no nonsense style myself.

I'd like to see a Rielly-Reinhart pairing. Rielly can play his game knowing that Big Griff has got his back. Activating a d-man with the dynamic offensive skills of Rielly against the USA could really help them.
To me, Rielly looked to have his confidence shaken last game, making a few unforced errors in his own end - he looked nervous as hell at times.

I'm not sure what role he's to play going forward. It's kind of up to him to settle down.

Closed Thread