HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nazem Kadri named AHL Player of the Week ending Nov. 18 - and discussion thread.

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
You do know that there are prospects that take a few years to make it, right?
Yeah? That's the point. Nazem has been in development for a couple of years now. This year is his fourth year in development.

How long can we keep saying "he just needs more time to develop"?

Old
12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
Yeah? That's the point. Nazem has been in development for a couple of years now. This year is his fourth year in development.

How long can we keep saying "he just needs more time to develop"?
I'd say that this season he has to show that he can stick with the big club. If there's a season, he should have an advantage on a lot of players that are just sitting around tweeting.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:16 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
I thought he had whiplash (stiff neck)?

Headaches are associated with neck injuries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Yes they are.
Tim Connolly went through almost an entire season with a misdiagnosis. They said concussion, when in fact it was IIRC a neck injury.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's been in development for a while now. What if he can't crack the roster next year?
Yup, it's his shape up or ship out year.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:20 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
He's been in development for a while now. What if he can't crack the roster next year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
He should retire
If he can't crack the NHL he could play in the AHL, Europe, wherever.

You can have a great career without playing in the NHL.

Check out Dan Hodgson another Leafs' top end prospect.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=6902

Mind you is there anyone who really doesn't believe he'll make it? He'll be in the NHL, whether he'll stay is the question.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
If he can't crack the NHL he could play in the AHL, Europe, wherever.

You can have a great career without playing in the NHL.

Check out Dan Hodgson another Leafs' top end prospect.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=6902

Mind you is there anyone who really doesn't believe he'll make it? He'll be in the NHL, whether he'll stay is the question.
Honestly this is the kind of career I almost expect Nazem to have.

It's not really his talent, its his athleticism, character, and body that will hold him back.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:26 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Honestly this is the kind of career I almost expect Nazem to have.

It's not really his talent, its his athleticism, character, and body that will hold him back.
I think it's his commitment more than anything. He seems cocky (which I like) but a lot of times for players like him the "bulb" has to go off. That point where you realize that skill alone will not cut it in the NHL. Training, diet, repetition etc is what comes next and I think he's getting that.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
I think it's his commitment more than anything. He seems cocky (which I like) but a lot of times for players like him the "bulb" has to go off. That point where you realize that skill alone will not cut it in the NHL. Training, diet, repetition etc is what comes next and I think he's getting that.
Hopefully. I used to be a big fan of his but over the years my opinion has fouled. Just my opinion but I don't see it in the kid.

But Brian Burke is supposed to be some great judge of character so maybe he will.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:31 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Agree 100% with this. Being a major league athlete takes some serious dedication. It's not just a 9-5 job. It's a 24/7 job. You get payed millions not just to show up to games. You get payed millions to eat properly, sleep properly, train properly, and then perform on the ice.

Hard work trumps talent 99 times out of 100.

Of course there are rare exceptions where an athlete has a terrible lifestyle, but still somehow performs amazingly. But this is extremely rare, and it doesn't seem like Nazem is one of these cases.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:11 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Agree 100% with this. Being a major league athlete takes some serious dedication. It's not just a 9-5 job. It's a 24/7 job. You get payed millions not just to show up to games. You get payed millions to eat properly, sleep properly, train properly, and then perform on the ice.

Of course there are rare exceptions where an athlete has a terrible lifestyle, but still somehow performs amazingly. But this is extremely rare, and it doesn't seem like Nazem is one of these cases.
A pilot has to go to bed at the right hour, eat right, train properly, perform properly, etc.

So does a nurse, architect, chemical engineer, judge, artist, surgeon, circus performer, etc.

The list is infinite. People wearing their big boy/big girl pants. Professionalism is another way to describe it.

This thread is pointless.

If this is somehow about NHL players being the good guys and deserve big money then you've failed.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Gill As A Leaf View Post
A pilot has to go to bed at the right hour, eat right, train properly, perform properly, etc.

So does a nurse, architect, chemical engineer, judge, artist, surgeon, circus performer, etc.

The list is infinite. People wearing their big boy/big girl pants. Professionalism is another way to describe it.

If this is somehow about NHL players being the good guys and deserve big money then you've failed.
No they don't lol.

You know how many nurses I know smoke?

Pro athletes have way different expectations in how they care for, maintain, and improve their bodies.

The professions you just listed have nothing to do with athletic ability except circus performer.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:47 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
No they don't lol.

Pro athletes have way different expectations in how they care for, maintain, and improve their bodies.

The professions you just listed have nothing to do with athletic ability except circus performer.
How many?

Old
12-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
How many?
Many!

Nurses! Completely unprofessional in the medical industry!

Old
12-29-2012, 02:09 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:

This is totally false. Pilots and doctors are not required to go to the gym 5-7 times a week. Nobody will ask them anything about their diet/sleep, unless it becomes clearly obvious. A doctor or a pilot can afford to gain 20 pounds, and still be able to perform just as good as he did before. Not so with athletes. Especially NHL players. There's absolutely no way that extra 20 pounds or 2 hours less of sleep won't affect your ice performance.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
This is totally false. Pilots and doctors are not required to go to the gym 5-7 times a week. Nobody will ask them anything about their diet/sleep, unless it becomes clearly obvious. A doctor or a pilot can afford to gain 20 pounds, and still be able to perform just as good as he did before. Not so with athletes. Especially NHL players. There's absolutely no way that extra 20 pounds or 2 hours less of sleep won't affect your ice performance.
Exactly. You nailed it.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:36 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
No they don't lol.

I'd like to introduce you to some of my fighter pilot friends.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Yeah fighter pilots where being sharp, alert, and fit are not really required to be successful here in Canada. Duh.

So what did you just log on here to bug me?

Old
12-29-2012, 05:44 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Yeah fighter pilots where being sharp, alert, and fit are not really required to be successful here in Canada. Duh.

So what did you just log on here to bug me?
Fighter pilots have different biology by country?

Anyhoo, back to Kadri.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Fighter pilots have different biology by country?

Anyhoo, back to Kadri.
In Canada we neither fight wars or use planes that require much manual input in said wars.

AS George W Bush and Russian monkey cosmonauts have shown us time and time again, not much is required when machinery does the job for you.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:50 PM
samwitch

Quote:

I'm sorry, but these are bad comparisons...

Old
12-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
I'm sorry, but these are bad comparisons...
Not so fast now.

eyeball11 was implying they were.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:49 PM
TheOneArmedMan

Kadri is like Grabovski.... slow during the beinning but once he finds his game he produces. Kadri just needs to put on some muscle instead of fat so he doesn't get knocked around by the big boys.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:07 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
No they don't lol.

And they aren't all smoking cigarettes.

Quote:
These the same fighter pilots who are fed speed(by their own govt.) to maintain alertness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneArmedMan View Post
Kadri is like Grabovski.... slow during the beinning but once he finds his game he produces. Kadri just needs to put on some muscle instead of fat so he doesn't get knocked around by the big boys.
All Kadri needs is a chance. He is a perfect pest.

Now that Burke is not stuck on his top 6 bottom 6 line up. Kadri should flourish on hte 3rd line with Frattin and whoever is lucky enough to play with them.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Being asked to not smoke, eat well, go to bed at a reasonable hour, and go to the gym for a couple hours in the morning isn't exactly a dreadful or terribly demanding existance.

Most people do all those things, save spending mulitple hours at the gym, but the reason they don't do that is usually because they have to go to work for 8-10 hours a day.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:26 AM
nsleaf

Quote:

You said "You get payed millions" twice in the above statement.
So these so called dedicated professionals who have to suffer through all those workouts, get lots of sleep and healthy eating got it pretty damned good, don't you think??

Closed Thread