HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buyouts per team

Old
12-29-2012, 11:36 AM
KingsFan7824

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Each Team and possible players:

ANA-None...trade partner
BOS-Savard
BUF-Leino, Erhoff
CAL-None
CAR-None
CHI-None
COL-None
CLB-Wiz, Umberger
DAL-None
DET-None
EDM-Horcoff
FLA-Campbell, Fleishmann
MINN-Heatley
MTL-GOMEZ
NASH-None
NJ-Salvador
NYI-DiPietro
NYR-REDDEN
OTT-None
PHI-Bryzgalov, Pronger
PHX-None
PITT-Martin
SJ-Havlat
STL-None
TB-Lecavalier, Ohlund
TOR-Komisarek
VAN-Luongo (better trade value), Ballard
WASH-None
WINN-None

Add or delete your own...and if a team has 2 or more buyout candidates which teams that do not would be good trade partners and for what?
Man, finally win a Cup and you're out of the league. Even funnier? Nobody's noticed the Kings weren't listed. Not that it looks like the Kings would have anyone that they need to buy out. If I had to pick a name, maybe Carter? The Kings would be paying that money out for the next century though.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:47 AM
rockinghockey

Players like Pronger and Savard that are on LTIR will not get bought out as insurance will pay for the contracts and they do not count against the cap.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I think people are missing the point on this. It is a compliance buyout. The NHL proposal would set next year's cap at $60M with no reduction is individual contracts. That means that you have the following teams that may need to do something:

Philadelphia: $52.5M committed on 15 contracts with Timonen and Pronger to replace
Philly will have Coburn, Grossmann, Mezsaros, Schenn, Gervais under contract for that year. Really, they only need 1 more defenseman with the 7th being one of their AHL/NHL guys. Plus all their top 9 forwards are signed so the other forwards they'll need will be cheap players. They'll be fine, in a salary cap sense.

The only candidates they have to buyout are Pronger, Briere and Bryzgalov. All have advantages and disadvantages to buying them out.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp10 View Post
Wish Horcoff was exiled to Siberia.
why? becuase he makes 2M too much? EDM would not buy Horc out unless the cap drops to 60M. Even then they could be fine with him in the lineup.
Horcoff is overpaid but is a good workhorse 3rd liner.

As for the topic.... most of the names listed will not be bought out unless the cap drops to 60M.. maybe couldve been mentioned in the OP.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Players like Pronger and Savard that are on LTIR will not get bought out as insurance will pay for the contracts and they do not count against the cap.
Yes they do. But you can replace them. but it causes problems with resigning your own players during the year (a problem the Flyers ran into with Matt Carle) and with being compliant with the daily cap (another problem Philly ran into 2 years ago and had to sign guys off the street to play).

Old
12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

I will personally buyout Paul Martin's contract, along with a one-way plane ticket and a carton of 1 dozen organic eggs.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:09 PM
LongWayDown37

Ehrhoff doesn't make any sense as a buyout. The Sabres gave him a $10 million salary in year 1 to get him in a low cap hit of $4 million for a #2 defenseman. So they would be throwing away last year's $10 million, and dropping a player with an affordable cap hit and very low cash payments for the rest of his contract.

If the sabres buy out anyone - it'll be Leino, but he'll first get a chance to redeem himself in this years shortened season - I still have hopes that he can live up.

LongWayDown37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:12 PM
VegasSabreFan

Ehrhoff isn't a buy out candidate for Buffalo. If he was a UFA this season he would have gotten a better deal than Matt Carle or Jason Garrison. Poll every GM in hockey and they'd rather have Ehrhoff at $4 mill than Carle $5.5 or Garrison at $4.6.

Puck moving Dmen get paid when they hit free agency, it's a fact of hockey. And his cap hit looks even better considering contract length is about to be capped in the new CBA.

VegasSabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:26 PM
VegasSabreFan

Quote:
I think people are missing the point on this. It is a compliance buyout. The NHL proposal would set next year's cap at $60M with no reduction is individual contracts. That means that you have the following teams that may need to do something:

Boston: $53.3M committed on 15 contracts with Savard on LTIR: Rask to resign
San Jose: $54.3M committed on 14 contracts
Vancouver: $55.4M committed on 13 contracts with Edler up.
Philadelphia: $52.5M committed on 15 contracts with Timonen and Pronger to replace
San Jose: $54.3M committed on 14 contracts with Clowe up.
Chicago: $57.2M committed on 17 contracts
Buffalo: $49.6M committed on 14 contracts
NYR: $51.8M committed on 16 contracts with McDonagh, Stepan and Del Zotto to resign
Pittsburgh: $52.5M on 15 contracts
Tampa Bay: $57.5M on 15 contracts
Montreal: $60.1M on 16 contracts---This pretty much assures that Gomez gets bough out.
Buffalo is fine considering you can add Grigorenko, Armia, Foligno, and McNabb on entry level contracts and unless Leino drastically improves he's an easy buy out. They'll likely have $10M to spend on three players which is still enough to bring a big name in.

VegasSabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Holmgren needs to dump that Bryzgalov contract ASAP.

Pronger's deal only effects the offseason (Offseason spending limit) and isn't as long. Bryzgalov was horrible and Philly and apparently isn't doing any better on the other side of the humanogous beeg planet.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Columbus certainly wouldn't buy out Umberger. He's the type of player who will always have a place on the team even after he retires. He's a consistent 50-60 point player even without talent around him, can play in most situations, is an ironman with regards to his health, oh and he does things like help coach the OSU men's hockey team during the lockout.

They also wouldn't buy out Wiz. He was on pace for a 50 point season last year on the worst team in the league. He also improved his 2-way play from previous years and was capable of handling a ton of minutes each night. That's... kinda all anyone can ask for.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisser View Post
Right, I forgot we just signed Liles, unlikely he'd be bought out so soon but I thought of it as a bit of a long shot any way.

If the cap drops to $60m as I've heard reported in the CBA talks, that should leave Leafs with ~$18m in 2013-2014 season so far. IIUC, the AHL salaries would also cut into the NHL cap as well with the new offer.. a quick glance at capgeek (hard to calculate easily from there) suggests maybe $6m in salaries there? I'm assuming it's not the NHL-level salary but the AHL-level salary coming off the books.

In which case we would have about $12m cap to resign some of our current guys, plus one of Getzlaf or Perry. Very rough estimate there, but could be do-able without buying out Komi and pissing away $2.6m.

BTW, just used dollar figures from capgeek, I might have misinterpreted some numbers though: http://capgeek.com/mapleleafs/

EDIT: Just found that the figure I was looking at to determine AHL salaries were actually the bonuses. That $6m is probably much lower than I thought (e.g., Rielly gets $70k in the AHL, not $850k)
I think AHL'ers would only count against the cap if they're on one-way deals and even then only if they make more than a certain amount (I think I heard it was about $600k). So for the Leafs there's no extra cap coming from AHL'ers.

Also these would be cap free buy outs. So Komisarek would be fully off the cap if the Leafs used its compliance buyout on him. So while the owners would lose $2.6 million or something like that in doing so, what's that to your ownership group? Nothing. Leafs could easily afford that.

Even $18 million to sign one of Perry or Getzlaf is barely enough when you'd still need to sign (or bring up rookies) another 9 players to have the 23 men roster. It's doable but would be really tight. Also even if it's doable, wouldn't you rather re-sign Lupul for that $4.5 million and buy Komisarek out?

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Wingsfan2965*

The thought just ran through my mind that it would be hilarious if, in an effort to clear roster space for Tatar, the Red Wings bought out Cleary.

Considering his involvement in the CBA negotiations (Or lack of negotiations) I'd find that rather amusing.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:00 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
And in the current proposal supposedly the cap is 70.4 million...
Where do you see that?!? You mean for this year, right? Next year it is dropping to around 60 mil most likely!

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:14 PM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
I think AHL'ers would only count against the cap if they're on one-way deals and even then only if they make more than a certain amount (I think I heard it was about $600k). So for the Leafs there's no extra cap coming from AHL'ers.

Also these would be cap free buy outs. So Komisarek would be fully off the cap if the Leafs used its compliance buyout on him. So while the owners would lose $2.6 million or something like that in doing so, what's that to your ownership group? Nothing. Leafs could easily afford that.

Even $18 million to sign one of Perry or Getzlaf is barely enough when you'd still need to sign (or bring up rookies) another 9 players to have the 23 men roster. It's doable but would be really tight. Also even if it's doable, wouldn't you rather re-sign Lupul for that $4.5 million and buy Komisarek out?
I'm curious to see what a guy like Lupul would get paid under a new CBA. Either way, if the choice is between buying out Komisarek or letting go of Lupul, I agree buy out Komisarek. I suspect such a decision will have more variables, and my intuition tells me that the answer won't be to buy out Komisarek.

MrVisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Philly will have Coburn, Grossmann, Mezsaros, Schenn, Gervais under contract for that year. Really, they only need 1 more defenseman with the 7th being one of their AHL/NHL guys. Plus all their top 9 forwards are signed so the other forwards they'll need will be cheap players. They'll be fine, in a salary cap sense.

The only candidates they have to buyout are Pronger, Briere and Bryzgalov. All have advantages and disadvantages to buying them out.
They have $7.5M to sign 8 players. I am not saying that they can't do it and I do agree that they have most of their pieces in place, but we are talking about a team that seems to always want to be making the big splash. With less than $1M per open slot that is not happening.

Pronger will stay on LTIR so buying him out is probably not a great move either capwise or fiscally as his contract is probably insured.

Bryzgalov would make the most sense long term but the cost in real dollars will be massive. I think what they might try to do is to trade Briere if they really did want more cap space. He does have the NMC but might waive rather than accepting a buyout. His contract would be very attractive to a team with cap space.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSabreFan View Post
Buffalo is fine considering you can add Grigorenko, Armia, Foligno, and McNabb on entry level contracts and unless Leino drastically improves he's an easy buy out. They'll likely have $10M to spend on three players which is still enough to bring a big name in.
I agree that Leino is the obvious target and at this point if the rules are as stated I don't think there is much doubt he would get bought out. But you would have $10M left to fill 6 roster spots not 3 so the big name player does not seem as likely.

Again, my list is not intended to suggest that any of these teams is in deep trouble, just that they will have to manage their caps carefully.

Last edited by Fourier: 12-30-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old
12-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
They have $7.5M to sign 8 players. I am not saying that they can't do it and I do agree that they have most of their pieces in place, but we are talking about a team that seems to always want to be making the big splash. With less than $1M per open slot that is not happening.

Pronger will stay on LTIR so buying him out is probably not a great move either capwise or fiscally as his contract is probably insured.

Bryzgalov would make the most sense long term but the cost in real dollars will be massive. I think what they might try to do is to trade Briere if they really did want more cap space. He does have the NMC but might waive rather than accepting a buyout. His contract would be very attractive to a team with cap space.
Briere makes more sense then Bryzgalov.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:36 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Other than the fact that Briere is still one of the top playoff performers in the league, and Bryzaster is worth about 6 bucks an hour.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Bryzgalov's contract is nasty, more so if the current proposal goes forward. He is a quirky guy who is a real threat to retire on you once his salary drops off. The Flyers coud be looking at two or more years of substantial amounts of dead cap space.

That said, it is too probably much money to buy out which is why I think the better solution would be to try and trade Briere.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:33 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Why would he?

He is only signed until 13-14 and we have nobody to replace him, doesn't seem prudent. After this season we have a bunch of contracts coming off the books so cap won't be a problem.
I think Holzer could easily bring what Komi brings to the table for a fraction of the price, and it would give up more cap space to potentially pick up a player that had to be let go by another team for cap considerations

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Oates2Neely

Loophole: Pittsburgh buys out Malkin (amnesty clause), resigns him for $1m per year for 6yrs

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisser View Post
I'm curious to see what a guy like Lupul would get paid under a new CBA. Either way, if the choice is between buying out Komisarek or letting go of Lupul, I agree buy out Komisarek. I suspect such a decision will have more variables, and my intuition tells me that the answer won't be to buy out Komisarek.
Lupul wouldn't get much as a UFA IMO. Too unproven. One good season doesn't convince anybody. However if he can put together one more good season while remaining healthy, he will easily get $5m to $6m per.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:26 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

I might be one of the only NHL or Sabre fans to think the Sabres shouldn't buy out Leino. He had one really bad year, lets see what he can do next year before we talk about writing him off.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:47 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

Boston: $53.3M committed on 15 contracts with Savard on LTIR: Rask to resign
San Jose: $54.3M committed on 14 contracts
Vancouver: $55.4M committed on 13 contracts with Edler up.
San Jose: $54.3M committed on 14 contracts with Clowe up.
Chicago: $57.2M committed on 17 contracts
Buffalo: $49.6M committed on 14 contracts
NYR: $51.8M committed on 16 contracts with McDonagh, Stepan and Del Zotto to resign
Pittsburgh: $52.5M on 15 contracts
Tampa Bay: $57.5M on 15 contracts
Montreal: $60.1M on 16 contracts---This pretty much assures that Gomez gets bough out.
Actually it is 16 contracts at $53.3, 11 forwards and 5 D. They probably have to let Horton and Ference walk at the end of the season and bring in a couple of rookies, but besides that I think they can be under $60 million as long as Rask is signed at a reasonable rate.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote