HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-29-2012, 12:21 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Hardy har har.

NOT funny.
I wasn't trying to be funny. I did not see the game.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:26 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I wasn't trying to be funny. I did not see the game.
Sorry. If you looked into the discussion that was just going on, it just felt like the equivalent of me dousing a threatening gas fire, with some fumes still hanging about... and then you walk in, ask "hey, what's up?"... and casually light up while doing so.

But well, what happened? One top six country beat another in a single night of hockey. That's what happened. Our guys might have played a bit sloppy for one reason or another, the Czechs didn't.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:29 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Sorry. If you looked into the discussion that was just going on, it just felt like the equivalent of me dousing a threatening gas fire, with some fumes still hanging about... and then you walk in, ask "hey, what's up?"... and casually light up while doing so.

But well, what happened? One top six country beat another in a single night of hockey. That's what happened. Our guys might have played a bit sloppy for one reason or another, the Czechs didn't.
No problem, buddy.

What is does is it turns Canada's pool upside down because no one wanted to meet you guys in the crossover - based on the assumption that you would go 4-0 and finish first.

Now... we don't know what to think.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:33 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
What is does is it turns Canada's pool upside down because no one wanted to meet you guys in the crossover - based on the assumption that you would go 4-0 and finish first.

Now... we don't know what to think.
Well, it would be a pretty dull game if nothing unexpected ever happened, wouldn't it?

Old
12-29-2012, 12:44 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Well, it would be a pretty dull game if nothing unexpected ever happened, wouldn't it?
I like Finland and predicted you would finish second. My worry now is you will start off the tournament like a house on fire and then fizzle when it counts. Hope not.

Good luck going forward.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:13 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

They said on MTV3 that Finland will keep the same lines on even strength, but the PP units have been rehauled.

Lehkonen - Barkov - Armia
Ristolainen - Teräväinen

Salomäki - Granlund - Järveläinen
Pokka - Määttä

Looks pretty nice to me.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Tuomaz

I still don't get Jarvelainen over Ikonen...

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:49 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
*sigh* Once again... Järveläinen, 5+1 on seven preliminary games over the Autumn.

Ikonen, 4+1 in Lake Placid, but that was summer, offseason. Since then, 0+0.

I'd taken a bigger body as well, to be honest, but it is what it is.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Lehkonen - Barkov - Armia
Ristolainen - Teräväinen

Salomäki - Granlund - Järveläinen
Pokka - Määttä
Good to see Armia on the other PP line, looking at as the designated playmaker got old pretty fast. Also pretty strange that Pokka didn't really get PP time before this, I thought he was kind of supposed to be the best offensive defenseman on the team.

Re: Ikonen, what's done is done. Järveläinen could bring his best to the preliminary games, whereas Ikonen couldn't. I do still think that Ikonen should be there, or at least have been given one last chance in the exhibition game against USA, but like I said back then, it's pointless to complain about it.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Nuh-uh. Doesn't work like that. This is hockey, not poker.
If we have two games in which if we lose twice, we are ****ed. The odds favor us in a way that of four games we win three times against both opponents (75% chance of a win). If we win the first one, we have nothing to be scared of, if we lose the first one, we have 75% chance of not being ****ed.

Before either game is played we have a 93,75% chance of not being ****ed (in this case in the relegation round), after the first game we either have 0% chance of being ****ed, or 25% chance of being ****ed.

Of course this was a simplified version of the chances but you can put your own "pre-set odds" in the math and see that after the first loss there is more of a probability to end up in the relegation round.

So after the first loss, there is a reason to be more anxious than after a win. How doesn't it work like that?

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Mestaruus

I think Finland is going to win this game easy. This tournament is just one of those typical Finnish roller coaster rides where we have to take that one necessary loss to wake up.

If Czech wins the group and Finland places 3rd in the group and then wins their QF game, doesn't it mean that we'd face Czech again in the semis? I really wish this would happen. Even more than Finland winning the group and skipping the QF game.

Mestaruus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:17 AM
Gaps

The D today (aside from Ristolainen) We also have to be prepared to play without both Määttä and Pokka tomorrow. If Määttä has a cold or a stomach bug, he probably won't be healthy by tomorrow, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pokka got a concussion despite playing after the dirty hit.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:26 AM
Huffman

So, relegation round if Finland loses against Sweden and the Swiss beat the Czechs right? (Assuming the Czechs beat Latvia in regulation).

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:53 AM
Muuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
So, relegation round if Finland loses against Sweden and the Swiss beat the Czechs right? (Assuming the Czechs beat Latvia in regulation).
Czechs will beat Swiss.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:18 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Czechs will beat Swiss.
We'd all better cross our fingers and toes that they do.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Depch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
We'd all better cross our fingers and toes that they do.
Nono, win for us and the Swiss in regulation. Then fingers crossed for Russia beating Canada and Swiss having a history of playing very well vs Canada pulling the upset in QF!

Depch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:22 AM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 50
I'm not that good at maths. I prefer winning.

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:26 AM
QnebO

Armia made so big change in hes game at the end of it, that theres no need for benching him right now. Hope he keeps doing what he now did and finds even more heart out of him. If that's not the case then just bench him.

Barkov good job, he was dangerouse, it didin't look fancy, but he made opponent to turn puck over four times with back-checking on the neutral zone, and they lead into chances. He had one great tip, couple of great passes but we couldn't barry it. Two backdoor passes and one break away. He can still find bit more out of himself thougt. But pointwise, he was just unlucky to not get more.

Järveläinen should be benched, the guy can do nothing out there. Couple of bad plays on the offensive zone, didint give puck where he clearly should and passed one 2-1 rush for opponent with a great lob pass trought our own defenders.. : Clearly cant win battles, think about it when the Swedes come against us.

From the coaches it was great to see no more slow breaks. Fits much better for our team. Specially it was horse **** against team like czech, who just turned the puck for themself with the trap and were very good on rushes that they got free from it.

Vainio had a really bad game.. but hope he can rebound back up.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Mestaruus

World War 3 against Sweden tomorrow!

Mestaruus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:54 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depch View Post
Nono, win for us and the Swiss in regulation. Then fingers crossed for Russia beating Canada and Swiss having a history of playing very well vs Canada pulling the upset in QF!
That's a nice fantasy. When was the last time our U20s actually beat Sweden? Last year they put up a good fight, which is the most we can expect tomorrow IMO.

If we could, I'd like to bench Järveläinen from the offense and VAINIO, Auvinen and Riikola from the defense. But we can't play with just Ristolainen and Lindbohm, assuming Pokka and Määttä can't play tomorrow. Armia's benching needs more consideration. As long as he focuses on shooting, no need to bench him.

It was good to see that Korpisalo seems to be solid in the head. Even after letting in 4 goals he did great in the shootout.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:00 AM
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals

Why isn't Chris Gibson in net for Finland?

EagleBlack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBlack87 View Post
92' born

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:04 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Järveläinen should be benched, the guy can do nothing out there. Couple of bad plays on the offensive zone, didint give puck where he clearly should and passed one 2-1 rush for opponent with a great lob pass trought our own defenders.. : Clearly cant win battles, think about it when the Swedes come against us.
Yeah, he's been completely invisible, so it definitely seems as if he was clearly a mistake pick from the coaches. He just doesn't have enough size or strength to be effective.

But still, he was never supposed to be a key player, so blaming him for our weak showings would be out of the line as well. Our heavy hitters have been asleep, and therefore we're in this jam right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
From the coaches it was great to see no more slow breaks. Fits much better for our team. Specially it was horse **** against team like czech, who just turned the puck for themself with the trap and were very good on rushes that they got free from it.
This is definitely something where we're handing the advantage to the opponent. They get puck, the result is a quick turnover and a scoring chance. We get the puck, we freeze the game behind our own net, give the other guy a chance to regroup.

We should move more quickly out of the own zone and end the rush with a SOG. Doesn't matter if it's quality or not. It gives us an offensive zone faceoff - and we've been good with those. Win the draw, then build a prime chance. Now we have to go in by the boards, and instead of making the shot, we rush in too deep and risk turnovers.

Rindell's playbook doesn't look too fit for junior hockey in this sense. On the other hand, the in-game reacting has been top notch. Right calls are made all the time, whether it's about mixing the lines, who to send out in nonordinary situations and so forth. You rarely see Finnish coaching so active in this department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaruus View Post
World War 3 against Sweden tomorrow!
So... should give us the advantage via experience then, given how we fought in the first two, while the Swedes were at home, stretching their wieners.

Seriously. Right now, I'm just happy that we don't have to depend on other results to have a chance. The Czechs better win regardless, but it would have been horrible to watch a game where we play for personal honor only.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:07 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Check Kalle Kossila and think again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBlack87 View Post
Few days too old.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:11 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Last year they put up a good fight, which is the most we can expect tomorrow IMO.
Sweden last time >>> Sweden this time.

I think they should be a good fit for us. They're the most "European" of the tough teams in our group (guess you'll have to count the Swiss among them now as well), so it definitely opens a door for the possibility to win the game via skill rather than straightforward physical game. And we're actually pretty even on skill this time around.

It may still end up being a tight game or a pure per C rice cows, but there's one thing I know. We're NEVER asleep for one second when we play Sweden. The history and rivalry we have guarantee that. If we lose, it won't be because the guys played sloppy.