HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Advertisements on IIHF jerseys

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2012, 02:18 PM
  #26
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
it's really not that bad in the WJC. Club teams over in Europe are way worse
This actually got me reminiscing. The 90s were even more ridiculous.

The most memorable example is from a certain SM-liiga team that actually had a player with the jersey number of "91,1", because they had a sponsorship deal with a local radio station that used to broadcast on said FM frecquency.

So complaining about this stuff is... well, nothing, really.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
  #27
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
NHL teams should plaster their uniforms with logos. The owners deserve to make money and they shouldn't be prohibited from this avenue just because fans find the ads aesthetically displeasing.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:37 PM
  #28
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
This actually got me reminiscing. The 90s were even more ridiculous.

The most memorable example is from a certain SM-liiga team that actually had a player with the jersey number of "91,1", because they had a sponsorship deal with a local radio station that used to broadcast on said FM frecquency.

So complaining about this stuff is... well, nothing, really.
Thats hilarious to me for some reason

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:40 PM
  #29
MOGiLNY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
NHL teams should plaster their uniforms with logos. The owners deserve to make money and they shouldn't be prohibited from this avenue just because fans find the ads aesthetically displeasing.
as long as a % of the added advertising revenue is spent in some way on the betterment of the hockey product we receive.

MOGiLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:46 PM
  #30
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY View Post
as long as a % of the added advertising revenue is spent in some way on the betterment of the hockey product we receive.
But doesn't ensuring profits for struggling franchises implicitly better the product?

Isn't that what this whole lockout is about? Guaranteeing profits for the betterment of the league?

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:46 PM
  #31
kp61c
Registered User
 
kp61c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
When the Swedish team was playing the US I kept thinking to myself, "There's someone named Kyocera on their team?!"
this. i hate this Kyocera and i see this trend in other tournaments too. while player names, it seems to me, are written on their ***** and i cant see them. its so moronic

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:01 PM
  #32
babblemoth
my heart and I agree
 
babblemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
There's a reason - pertinent to my OP - why you don't see these advertisements in the Olympics.

Outside of maybe a Nike swoosh or Roots symbol (I believe Roots had the rights to design our American caps for Vancouver) I just think it's supposed to be more about the countries and sport.
Can kind of see your point, but it's all done on just about the same premises. One may be more relevant to the sport, but the fact is they sponsor or take part in the programs (national or club level) in the thought they will have that recognized and shown. It's really not that bad.

I know in Canada the lack of advertisement on the jerseys is made up for in commercials and pseudo-commercials (see Gatorade electrolyte information session commercial last year or two years ago.)

The European league jerseys look a real mess, but if that's what is required to provide for the sport to be played at a certain level then so be it.

babblemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:38 PM
  #33
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
NHL teams should plaster their uniforms with logos. The owners deserve to make money and they shouldn't be prohibited from this avenue just because fans find the ads aesthetically displeasing.
Considering the most popular sport on the planet - one of the most elite leagues as well in the EPL and, well, pretty much all of them in Europe - uses jerseys to gain revenue I'm a bit surprised we don't see more of it in the NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB. The WNBA does it; I would actually expect to see this happen to some of the aforementioned sports in our lifetime.

In fact 'Mike and Mike' talked about that extensively on their program just a couple a months ago about the NFL and teams have the Reebok symbol on all the jerseys.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:22 PM
  #34
Hynh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
NHL teams should plaster their uniforms with logos. The owners deserve to make money and they shouldn't be prohibited from this avenue just because fans find the ads aesthetically displeasing.
I love the Chelsea Samsungs! I hope they can win their next game against the Emirates Cannons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Considering the most popular sport on the planet - one of the most elite leagues as well in the EPL and, well, pretty much all of them in Europe - uses jerseys to gain revenue I'm a bit surprised we don't see more of it in the NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB. The WNBA does it; I would actually expect to see this happen to some of the aforementioned sports in our lifetime.

In fact 'Mike and Mike' talked about that extensively on their program just a couple a months ago about the NFL and teams have the Reebok symbol on all the jerseys.
I think it's the sign of a bush league in NA. I'd rather buy a cheap Chinese knockoff than become a billboard.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
  #35
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
spenglerb_35242.jpg

This is tops this year. Officials from the Spengler Cup sponsored by Swiss Milk.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:30 PM
  #36
Orange Thunder
Registered User
 
Orange Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,721
vCash: 500
I barely notice them.

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:56 PM
  #37
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
I love the Chelsea Samsungs! I hope they can win their next game against the Emirates Cannons!



I think it's the sign of a bush league in NA. I'd rather buy a cheap Chinese knockoff than become a billboard.
I agree. That's why I pointed out the best leagues in the most popular sport on the planet (soccer/European football) are already doing it, so it may just be a matter of time. Yes, it would be horrific to see it in the NHL of course, but my point is I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:30 PM
  #38
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!
 
Rocket Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Capital of Canada!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Attachment 59949

This is tops this year. Officials from the Spengler Cup sponsored by Swiss Milk.
I couldnt believe my eyes when I first saw these poor refs.

I wouldnt mind a Team Canada Spengler jersey though!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:53 PM
  #39
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
in Europe you habe the ads on the shirt. in NA they have longer stoppages for tv comercials. it's up to you to decide which is worse

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:56 PM
  #40
ByeBye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblemoth View Post
The European league jerseys look a real mess, but if that's what is required to provide for the sport to be played at a certain level then so be it.
This. It's not like we Europeans love the billboard-style jerseys so much, it's simply a necessity.
In Germany, the ads on the jersey make up for a very significant amount of the revenues and no one can really afford to not have them. Still, almost no club breaks even, let alone makes money.


I find the ads on the WJC jerseys quite okay. I'd rather have them than the commercial breaks in the middle of the game. That's what's really a little awkward about North American hockey in my opinion. That and the obsession about the fact that 15 minutes can save you 15% or more on car insurance.

ByeBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:04 PM
  #41
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuernberger View Post
This. It's not like we Europeans love the billboard-style jerseys so much, it's simply a necessity.
In Germany, the ads on the jersey make up for a very significant amount of the revenues and no one can really afford to not have them. Still, almost no club breaks even, let alone makes money.
Same in Switzerland. The ads in the jersey are estimated to bring a team 1-1.5 mio CHF per year. that's the salary of 2 above average players right there

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:04 PM
  #42
jigsaw99
Registered User
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Attachment 59949

This is tops this year. Officials from the Spengler Cup sponsored by Swiss Milk.
lol Spengler cup is probably the best example for over advertisement



PRetty much every spot on the player has ads on it. Not one revenue missed.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:18 PM
  #43
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Dear gaaaaaaaawd.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:25 PM
  #44
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Dear gaaaaaaaawd.
I wonder how much cheaper tix would have to be for this to be acceptable in Canada? That said, I'd gladly replace the "VANCOUVER" on our jersey with "CRESSI".

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:09 PM
  #45
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
in Europe you habe the ads on the shirt. in NA they have longer stoppages for tv comercials. it's up to you to decide which is worse
I'd rather have commercials.

I think ads on jerseys would be better if the colors blended with the team color on the jersey. Instead of having a big white box around the ad...

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:22 PM
  #46
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO
 
Reed Solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Man.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
lol Spengler cup is probably the best example for over advertisement

PRetty much every spot on the player has ads on it. Not one revenue missed.
Holy Nascar, Batman!

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:30 PM
  #47
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
This actually got me reminiscing. The 90s were even more ridiculous.

The most memorable example is from a certain SM-liiga team that actually had a player with the jersey number of "91,1", because they had a sponsorship deal with a local radio station that used to broadcast on said FM frecquency.

So complaining about this stuff is... well, nothing, really.
Otto!


Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:35 AM
  #48
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser
 
Qurpiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
This actually got me reminiscing. The 90s were even more ridiculous.

The most memorable example is from a certain SM-liiga team that actually had a player with the jersey number of "91,1", because they had a sponsorship deal with a local radio station that used to broadcast on said FM frecquency.

So complaining about this stuff is... well, nothing, really.
And that's not the only one, I know for certain Jaroslav Otevrel wore 89,4 with Ässät, which is the frequency of a local radio station. IIRC that happened with almost every team back then

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:36 PM
  #49
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
in Europe you habe the ads on the shirt. in NA they have longer stoppages for tv comercials. it's up to you to decide which is worse
I'd gladly allow shirt sponsors for no TV commercials. I'm not sure that's how it would go however. If the NHL ever got sponsors on their shirts, they wouldn't be dropping other revenue streams.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:48 PM
  #50
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
There's a reason - pertinent to my OP - why you don't see these advertisements in the Olympics.
Yeah, because the IOC has a monopoly on advertising so they can get all the profits instead of the national federations/athletes

i'd take ads on NHL uniforms over lockouts every 8 years.


Last edited by EbencoyE: 12-29-2012 at 01:53 PM.
EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.