HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Advertisements on IIHF jerseys

Old
12-28-2012, 02:18 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
it's really not that bad in the WJC. Club teams over in Europe are way worse
This actually got me reminiscing. The 90s were even more ridiculous.

The most memorable example is from a certain SM-liiga team that actually had a player with the jersey number of "91,1", because they had a sponsorship deal with a local radio station that used to broadcast on said FM frecquency.

So complaining about this stuff is... well, nothing, really.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

NHL teams should plaster their uniforms with logos. The owners deserve to make money and they shouldn't be prohibited from this avenue just because fans find the ads aesthetically displeasing.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:37 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post

The most memorable example is from a certain SM-liiga team that actually had a player with the jersey number of "91,1", because they had a sponsorship deal with a local radio station that used to broadcast on said FM frecquency.

Thats hilarious to me for some reason

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:40 PM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
NHL teams should plaster their uniforms with logos. The owners deserve to make money and they shouldn't be prohibited from this avenue just because fans find the ads aesthetically displeasing.
as long as a % of the added advertising revenue is spent in some way on the betterment of the hockey product we receive.

MOGiLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY View Post
as long as a % of the added advertising revenue is spent in some way on the betterment of the hockey product we receive.
But doesn't ensuring profits for struggling franchises implicitly better the product?

Isn't that what this whole lockout is about? Guaranteeing profits for the betterment of the league?

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:46 PM
kp61c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
When the Swedish team was playing the US I kept thinking to myself, "There's someone named Kyocera on their team?!"
this. i hate this Kyocera and i see this trend in other tournaments too. while player names, it seems to me, are written on their ***** and i cant see them. its so moronic

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:01 PM
babblemoth
my heart and I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
There's a reason - pertinent to my OP - why you don't see these advertisements in the Olympics.

Outside of maybe a Nike swoosh or Roots symbol (I believe Roots had the rights to design our American caps for Vancouver) I just think it's supposed to be more about the countries and sport.
Can kind of see your point, but it's all done on just about the same premises. One may be more relevant to the sport, but the fact is they sponsor or take part in the programs (national or club level) in the thought they will have that recognized and shown. It's really not that bad.

I know in Canada the lack of advertisement on the jerseys is made up for in commercials and pseudo-commercials (see Gatorade electrolyte information session commercial last year or two years ago.)

The European league jerseys look a real mess, but if that's what is required to provide for the sport to be played at a certain level then so be it.

babblemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:38 PM
651*

Quote:
Considering the most popular sport on the planet - one of the most elite leagues as well in the EPL and, well, pretty much all of them in Europe - uses jerseys to gain revenue I'm a bit surprised we don't see more of it in the NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB. The WNBA does it; I would actually expect to see this happen to some of the aforementioned sports in our lifetime.

In fact 'Mike and Mike' talked about that extensively on their program just a couple a months ago about the NFL and teams have the Reebok symbol on all the jerseys.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Hynh

Quote:
I love the Chelsea Samsungs! I hope they can win their next game against the Emirates Cannons!

Quote:
Considering the most popular sport on the planet - one of the most elite leagues as well in the EPL and, well, pretty much all of them in Europe - uses jerseys to gain revenue I'm a bit surprised we don't see more of it in the NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB. The WNBA does it; I would actually expect to see this happen to some of the aforementioned sports in our lifetime.

In fact 'Mike and Mike' talked about that extensively on their program just a couple a months ago about the NFL and teams have the Reebok symbol on all the jerseys.
I think it's the sign of a bush league in NA. I'd rather buy a cheap Chinese knockoff than become a billboard.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
timekeep

spenglerb_35242.jpg

This is tops this year. Officials from the Spengler Cup sponsored by Swiss Milk.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Orange Thunder

I barely notice them.

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:56 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
I love the Chelsea Samsungs! I hope they can win their next game against the Emirates Cannons!

I think it's the sign of a bush league in NA. I'd rather buy a cheap Chinese knockoff than become a billboard.
I agree. That's why I pointed out the best leagues in the most popular sport on the planet (soccer/European football) are already doing it, so it may just be a matter of time. Yes, it would be horrific to see it in the NHL of course, but my point is I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Attachment 59949

This is tops this year. Officials from the Spengler Cup sponsored by Swiss Milk.
I couldnt believe my eyes when I first saw these poor refs.

I wouldnt mind a Team Canada Spengler jersey though!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:53 PM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

in Europe you habe the ads on the shirt. in NA they have longer stoppages for tv comercials. it's up to you to decide which is worse

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:56 PM
ByeBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by babblemoth View Post
The European league jerseys look a real mess, but if that's what is required to provide for the sport to be played at a certain level then so be it.
This. It's not like we Europeans love the billboard-style jerseys so much, it's simply a necessity.
In Germany, the ads on the jersey make up for a very significant amount of the revenues and no one can really afford to not have them. Still, almost no club breaks even, let alone makes money.

I find the ads on the WJC jerseys quite okay. I'd rather have them than the commercial breaks in the middle of the game. That's what's really a little awkward about North American hockey in my opinion. That and the obsession about the fact that 15 minutes can save you 15% or more on car insurance.

ByeBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:04 PM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuernberger View Post
This. It's not like we Europeans love the billboard-style jerseys so much, it's simply a necessity.
In Germany, the ads on the jersey make up for a very significant amount of the revenues and no one can really afford to not have them. Still, almost no club breaks even, let alone makes money.
Same in Switzerland. The ads in the jersey are estimated to bring a team 1-1.5 mio CHF per year. that's the salary of 2 above average players right there

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:04 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Attachment 59949

lol Spengler cup is probably the best example for over advertisement

PRetty much every spot on the player has ads on it. Not one revenue missed.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:18 PM
651*

Dear gaaaaaaaawd.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:25 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Dear gaaaaaaaawd.
I wonder how much cheaper tix would have to be for this to be acceptable in Canada? That said, I'd gladly replace the "VANCOUVER" on our jersey with "CRESSI".

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
in Europe you habe the ads on the shirt. in NA they have longer stoppages for tv comercials. it's up to you to decide which is worse
I'd rather have commercials.

I think ads on jerseys would be better if the colors blended with the team color on the jersey. Instead of having a big white box around the ad...

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
lol Spengler cup is probably the best example for over advertisement

PRetty much every spot on the player has ads on it. Not one revenue missed.
Holy Nascar, Batman!

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:

Otto!

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:35 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:

And that's not the only one, I know for certain Jaroslav Otevrel wore 89,4 with Ässät, which is the frequency of a local radio station. IIRC that happened with almost every team back then

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
I'd gladly allow shirt sponsors for no TV commercials. I'm not sure that's how it would go however. If the NHL ever got sponsors on their shirts, they wouldn't be dropping other revenue streams.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:48 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
There's a reason - pertinent to my OP - why you don't see these advertisements in the Olympics.
Yeah, because the IOC has a monopoly on advertising so they can get all the profits instead of the national federations/athletes

i'd take ads on NHL uniforms over lockouts every 8 years.

Last edited by EbencoyE: 12-29-2012 at 01:53 PM.
EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote