HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets to play in Western Conference in 2012-13?

Old
12-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Hockey Fan #751

vCash: 500
Jets to play in Western Conference in 2012-13?

I found this interesting:

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Talk within NHL of flipping Winnipeg and Columbus for this year only pending future realignment...

Non-playoff team for non-playoff team if CBJ and Jets switch conferences for this season

With all due respect to the genuinely fine folks of Winnipeg, bonus for everyone who travels with an Eastern Conference team.

Flip would allow Jets to play road games in own time zone

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:38 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Apparently since this Larry Brooks tweet, there's been quite a few follow up tweets saying this Blue Jackets / Jets swap is not in the works if there is a shortened season this year, that it is simply not true.

I don't really care what they do about it for this season, if there is one, but they have to work on some realignment plan for 2013-14.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

The West while it is geographically the right move would mean some stiff competition.

I suppose it is inevitable.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:46 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 221
I don't see it happening. They've got much bigger issues to settle first and by the time they're settled they'll have no time for this. Also, I'm fine with things as they are because earlier games are easier to watch and the SE is very weak overall IMO.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
No one else can confirm this

Not happening for 12-13

13-14 more likely

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

John Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by @JSportsnet
For Clarification: There's No thought of Realignment for shortened 2013
season.Plan is to be in full effect for October 2013. #Jetsineast

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Hockey Fan #751

^^ Well, at least that's the first sign that realignment is likely for 2013-14. Assuming that one source is correct.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Hope that however realignment goes, it's more than just a CLB / WPG flip. Would be nice to be in the same division as MIN!

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:46 PM
yauger27
Long Time Lurker

As a Jets fan in Ohio I'd prefer that the Jets would switch with Nashville so I have more opportunities to see them in Columbus. I think Nashville would benefit more in the Southeast anyways.

yauger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:16 PM
TroubaFan1

Can't wait to get back into the west where we belong.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Hobble

Makes sense for both teams. However, that would mean we'd likely miss the playoffs again considering we'd be playing against Nashville, Detroit and Chicago. Whether the Blues can be a consistent threat is yet to be seen.

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:15 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobble View Post
Makes sense for both teams. However, that would mean we'd likely miss the playoffs again considering we'd be playing against Nashville, Detroit and Chicago. Whether the Blues can be a consistent threat is yet to be seen.
Jets are going to miss the playoffs regardless of conference. Assuming of course there's actually a bastardization of a short season that is.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:27 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by yauger27 View Post
As a Jets fan in Ohio I'd prefer that the Jets would switch with Nashville so I have more opportunities to see them in Columbus. I think Nashville would benefit more in the Southeast anyways.
Does make more sense to flip Nashville especially considering it is further west than Columbus.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Does make more sense to flip Nashville especially considering it is further west than Columbus.
Nashville might develop some type of rivalry with Carolina, Tbay and Florida.

I think teams like the Preds would perfer to stay in the West so they get Detroit in their building at least twice during the year. Columbus would too, and Chicago is close by, so i'm thinking the BJ wouldn't mind staying in the West, if Detroit stays too.

Moving Nashville to the SE makes a lot of sense, in many ways.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:45 AM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobble View Post
St. Louis is in my favourite to win the West this year. Very good team. Great deep group of defensive forwards works perfectly in that system.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yauger27 View Post
i think the columbus over nashville thing is because of the timzone. Nashville actually is in CST wheres columbus is EST is it not?

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
i think the columbus over nashville thing is because of the timzone. Nashville actually is in CST wheres columbus is EST is it not?
I thought it was traditional geographic classification. Nashville is in the US South East (traditional rivalries in Carolina, Florida) and Columbus is in the Midwest (traditional rivals in Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota).

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I thought it was traditional geographic classification. Nashville is in the US South East (traditional rivalries in Carolina, Florida) and Columbus is in the Midwest (traditional rivals in Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota).
who knows?

Common sentiment I've heard over the spread of games due to location is regarding time zones (ex: columubst/detroit playing very few away games within their timezone- thus crappier tv times/lower viewing numbers/ and all that comes with that) Nashvile is CST like the other teams in that area.

That's also why it's been Columbus over Detroit- that seems to get propped up by columbus "needing" it more then detroit (more eye balls, more marquee matches against "local" teams ie: Pittsburgh) even though Detroit is the "good soldier" of the NHL.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
who knows?

Common sentiment I've heard over the spread of games due to location is regarding time zones (ex: columubst/detroit playing very few away games within their timezone- thus crappier tv times/lower viewing numbers/ and all that comes with that) Nashvile is CST like the other teams in that area.

That's also why it's been Columbus over Detroit- that seems to get propped up by columbus "needing" it more then detroit (more eye balls, more marquee matches against "local" teams ie: Pittsburgh) even though Detroit is the "good soldier" of the NHL.
I think the NHL loathes moving a original 6 team out of the Western Conference. Personally I think it's less impactful nowadays, especially since the Kings IMO are now a US heritage team, especially with their Cup win.

12-31-2012, 03:47 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

troll alert:

IMO Larry Brooks is a hack and a lackey

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote