HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part II (Lockout over)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2012, 01:43 AM
  #1
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,684
vCash: 500
The Lockout Thread Part II (Lockout over)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Winning doesn't necessarily guarantee attendance. Phoenix and New Jersey are good examples of that. Of course, if it happens with the CBJ, it will be such a novelty that people will flock to it. Regardless, the team better have a fan-recovery plan ready to go.
Winning has positively affected attendance in Columbus already once in the past. Look at the season right after we made the playoffs.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:54 PM
  #2
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,250
vCash: 500
I think the "Fan recovery plan" was John Davidson. At least, I believe they (ownership, entrenched current management) are hedging significant bets on it. After the loss of Nash in the very public trade maneuverings and the death spiral the organization took from the start last season, I don't see much to else to hedge significant bets on right now anyways. Prospects are probably a good 2 years away from significant contributions, Goaltending, despite what looks to be a solid start to building organization depth this past draft, is still incredibly weak considering the depth chart right now. Players like Atkinson, Audy-Marchessault, Johansen, etc, didn't need this lockout right now in terms of their development.

Like it or not, I think the majority of any Fan Recovery Plan starts with John Davidson, sprinkle in some Jack Johnson and a touch of James Wizniewski...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:14 PM
  #3
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Winning has positively affected attendance in Columbus already once in the past. Look at the season right after we made the playoffs.
The entire stretch run in 2008-09 was a string of sellouts as well. Attendance at the start of the season was worse than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I think the "Fan recovery plan" was John Davidson. At least, I believe they (ownership, entrenched current management) are hedging significant bets on it. After the loss of Nash in the very public trade maneuverings and the death spiral the organization took from the start last season, I don't see much to else to hedge significant bets on right now anyways. Prospects are probably a good 2 years away from significant contributions, Goaltending, despite what looks to be a solid start to building organization depth this past draft, is still incredibly weak considering the depth chart right now. Players like Atkinson, Audy-Marchessault, Johansen, etc, didn't need this lockout right now in terms of their development.

Like it or not, I think the majority of any Fan Recovery Plan starts with John Davidson, sprinkle in some Jack Johnson and a touch of James Wizniewski...
One thing that has really stood out to me is the complete lack of CBJ player comments about the lockout. That goes for both to the papers and on Twitter. The closest I've seen is RJ Umberger's bizarre need to retweet everything that Allan Walsh says, which is annoying as hell.

I don't know if someone suggested to the players that withholding comment was a good thing, but I can't see any player that fans could specifically point to and say, "I no longer care for that guy as a result of what he said."

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:09 PM
  #4
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
The entire stretch run in 2008-09 was a string of sellouts as well. Attendance at the start of the season was worse than ever.



One thing that has really stood out to me is the complete lack of CBJ player comments about the lockout. That goes for both to the papers and on Twitter. The closest I've seen is RJ Umberger's bizarre need to retweet everything that Allan Walsh says, which is annoying as hell.

I don't know if someone suggested to the players that withholding comment was a good thing, but I can't see any player that fans could specifically point to and say, "I no longer care for that guy as a result of what he said."
Umberger's retweet's are the sole reason I unfollowed all NHL players during the lockout about 4-6 weeks ago.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:10 PM
  #5
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard
 
CBJWennberg41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,702
vCash: 500
Um.. Guys

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=802

Jets to the Western Conference and Central, Jackets to Southeast in the Eastern for this year.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:31 PM
  #6
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 1164
I'm all for the move to the Eastern Conference. I was not in favor of the 14 team and 16 team conferences plan that was floated last year.

I will miss not seeing the Hawks, Wings & Preds several times a year.

All of this is pending if the rumor is true and a CBA is ever reached.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:13 PM
  #7
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,161
vCash: 500
If the deal is going to happen without cancelling the season, it will be before Wednesday. No way the league allows that disclaimer of interest to happen and still keeps hope of a season.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:32 PM
  #8
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Winning has positively affected attendance in Columbus already once in the past. Look at the season right after we made the playoffs.
We were discussing attd in the new reality of the recent seasons of crapitude and lockout.

I also place no faith in reported attd. I know what I saw: empty seats, many of them paid for but not sat in. The trade loss of our one single recognizable star probably won't help either.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:32 PM
  #9
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,813
vCash: 500
Columbus will be fine once the CBJ wins and KEEPS winning.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:08 PM
  #10
Seedtype
Registered User
 
Seedtype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio?!?!
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Um.. Guys

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=802

Jets to the Western Conference and Central, Jackets to Southeast in the Eastern for this year.
Oh man, I hope that really happens.

Seedtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:22 AM
  #11
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Um.. Guys

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=802

Jets to the Western Conference and Central, Jackets to Southeast in the Eastern for this year.
If there is a season this season I would be more than happy to see the Jackets play the Sabres for the Eastern Conference title....

Me think Johansen and the Jackets are ready to move on after dumping Nash and Priest... That said, goal tending is still an issue.... I'm excited.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:31 AM
  #12
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
We were discussing attd in the new reality of the recent seasons of crapitude and lockout.

I also place no faith in reported attd. I know what I saw: empty seats, many of them paid for but not sat in. The trade loss of our one single recognizable star probably won't help either.
As for the bold....BS.... If the Jackets win the Eastern Conference this season without him the City of Columbus will hardly remember the guy.... book it.

Caveat... its sport not emotion.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:16 AM
  #13
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I will miss not seeing the Hawks, Wings & Preds several times a year.
On the plus side, I don't have to endure watching Nationwide get overrun by Hawks and Wings fans.

On the negative side, I have to endure more games with Nationwide getting overrun by Pens fans. And recently the Pens fans have been the worst of the bunch. They create such a crappy atmosphere for the CBJ fans that I'm not sure I'd want to go.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:23 AM
  #14
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 1164
I also thought the Buffalo fans were obnoxious.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:39 AM
  #15
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I also thought the Buffalo fans were obnoxious.
Oh man are they obnoxious, but we tend to win more against them it seems. I just remember being in the arena, the CBJ pasting Buffalo, after all the drunken pre-game trash talk I endured from a trio of Sabres fans, and smiling as I hear the crowd erupt into a mocking chant of "Go home Buffalo!"

That was a fun game. Think it was this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upCtGsVyIqc

On a slightly sad note, I just realized that none of the guys who scored the goals in this game are still with the team...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:08 AM
  #16
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
If we start winning, all will be forgiven. To me the most glaring example is Season 2. After the upbeat first season, GNat was sold out for the season during year two. Of course that is when the team firmly grasped the cycle of suck that it has never really let go since. And then attendance started dropping little by little starting with Season 3. I do think that across the NHL attendance will be down during whatever mini-season they come up with after the strike.

Again, speaking just for myself as a person who enjoys hockey but is not a hockey fanatic, I still wish the whole season would be cancelled and have a 2013 draft based upon the results of last season. If there is a mini-season my worst fear is that we will actually be successful and screw ourselves out of a top pick in this upcoming draft. I must say that if we handle this draft right and boost our skill players the way we have boosted our d in the past few years, CBJ could be set for a very successful long term run in the near future.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:27 AM
  #17
Derby
Pilsners in Prague
 
Derby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
We were discussing attd in the new reality of the recent seasons of crapitude and lockout.

I also place no faith in reported attd. I know what I saw: empty seats, many of them paid for but not sat in. The trade loss of our one single recognizable star probably won't help either.
Amen to the bolded part. The bright spot in the lockout for me, in part, is that I didn't have to see Nasher skating for the Rags so soon after wearing union blue. (that and the European vacation my STH refund is funding)

Sport IS emotion, if you disagree I don't understand that.

Nash did more for Columbus hockey than anyone else besides Mr. Mac.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:38 PM
  #18
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Nash did more for Columbus hockey than anyone else besides Mr. Mac.
This is all that needs to be said about the Rick Nash situation. Star players are quickly forgotten when the wins start piling up ... ask Bruins fans how they feel about the Joe Thornton trade right now. I think we're a better team after the Rick Nash trade - or, at least, are finally taking a step in the right direction and building this team properly, from the ground up - instead of around one great player.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:27 PM
  #19
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
As for the bold....BS.... If the Jackets win the Eastern Conference this season without him the City of Columbus will hardly remember the guy.... book it.

Caveat... its sport not emotion.
Not only that, Rick Nash would be singled out as the CAUSE for the CBJ's suckage all these years.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:07 PM
  #20
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Not only that, Rick Nash would be singled out as the CAUSE for the CBJ's suckage all these years.
I think any true hockey fan would know that this isn't the case. While he didn't factor into major winning success here, it's hard to pin the entire history of the franchise's failures onto one man's shoulders.

Unless that man is Doug MacLean.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:39 PM
  #21
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
As for the bold....BS.... If the Jackets win the Eastern Conference this season without him the City of Columbus will hardly remember the guy.... book it.

Caveat... its sport not emotion.

You kill me Robert.

What's are the better odds?

1. Jackets suck, attd low, Nash rocks NYC
2. Jackets win the Eastern Conference.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:35 PM
  #22
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

You kill me Robert.

What's are the better odds?

1. Jackets suck, attd low, Nash rocks NYC
2. Jackets win the Eastern Conference.
The Jackets have been known to beat the odds, just never in a good way.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:44 PM
  #23
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I think any true hockey fan would know that this isn't the case. While he didn't factor into major winning success here, it's hard to pin the entire history of the franchise's failures onto one man's shoulders.

Unless that man is Doug MacLean.
Mark my words. There would be some, albeit small, part of the fanbase that would. I'd love to find out for certain.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:49 PM
  #24
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Mark my words. There would be some, albeit small, part of the fanbase that would. I'd love to find out for certain.
Not debating that at all.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:39 AM
  #25
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ
 
joshjoshjosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guam
Country: Eritrea
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Two years today since I took in a game at the Nat. Booooooooooooooo

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.