HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

IIHF reffing is a joke MOD WARNING: Post 144

Old
12-29-2012, 12:55 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Barou View Post
The hit's legality is not debatable. If it was an illegal hit he would have been suspended.
If the IIHF considers the hit legal then why not rescind the misconduct? I think this is another classic case of IIHF bumbling; they've sat on the fence. Either fix the in game call or suspend. They seem to have chosen neither. Unless of course I missed something and the IIHF did indeed state the call was made in error.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:57 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The head pitched forward on the hit. If the first contact was with the head, then it would have snapped backwards.
I think for most sane fans the head hitting the ice is the point of damage.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
And with now a full two days leading up to the BIG GAME, watch the Russian media/ press fuel the rivalry with a barrage of hate articles. So lucky I am fluent in Russian, I laugh at all their trash journalism.
Because we all know Canadian journalism is a standard for impartiality, objectivity, and lack of bias.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:18 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
What a sad question, man. Why i have to be interested about penalty, when there is battle for his alive. Is the game more important, than life of players for you?

What about punishing dangerous play preventively, to keep feeling that battles are not so wild. Obviously that accidents in this style can happen...

But many of concussions can be canceled by smarter play. I like smart game at first place in hockey, than the aggresivity at first.
So essentially you have no response? I mean, if a player were skating fast towards the goalie you could consider that reckless play, and if his skate ends up cutting the goalie (or another player) he should be penalized, right? Does that mean, based on your comments/standards, that you should preventatively penalize any player who skates fast because this outcome could happen?

To prevent concussions maybe all players can wear padding and instead of ice they play on a trampoline, and instead of hockey sticks and a puck they can use a tennis ball and pillows.

12-29-2012, 02:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Sadly, the new strategy to play against Team Canada appears to be:

1) Skate with your head down
2) Get demolished
3) ???
4) Powerplay

Disgraceful.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Big figure skating fan I take it?
Wrong. Don't care for figure skating one bit. Just always preferred Joe Sakics to Claude Lemieuxs.

To me "intent to injure" is only a tad worse than "intent to hurt." The only time I welcome them is in retaliation. Like when Darian Hatcher knocked Jeremy Roenick's teeth out after Roenick broke Joe Niewendyke's leg.

Ultimately, like a great Russian poet once said: "Let the professionals break their noses in their native Montreal." When North American players and coaches realize this is international hockey and there are other nations playing, maybe they will put an end to this suspension streak.

For the record, European players should be held to the same standard (Shalunov, etc.).

Old
12-29-2012, 02:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Wrong. Don't care for figure skating one bit. Just always preferred Joe Sakics to Claude Lemieuxs.

To me "intent to injure" is only a tad worse than "intent to hurt." The only time I welcome them is in retaliation. Like when Darian Hatcher knocked Jeremy Roenick's teeth out after Roenick broke Joe Niewendyke's leg.

Ultimately, like a great Russian poet once said: "Let the professionals break their noses in their native Montreal." When North American players and coaches realize this is international hockey and there are other nations playing, maybe they will put an end to this suspension streak.

For the record, European players should be held to the same standard (Shalunov, etc.).
For the record, hockey at the international level is a contact sport. If you're saying that Canadian players are bigger and stronger than European players, and that European players can't handle the physicality then perhaps those European players should not be playing? Like some guy on Hell's Kitchen once said: "If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen."

Old
12-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
For the record, hockey at the international level is a contact sport. If you're saying that Canadian players are bigger and stronger than European players, and that European players can't handle the physicality then perhaps those European players should not be playing? Like some guy on Hell's Kitchen once said: "If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen."
Uhm... since when does one (or even two) countries dictate all the rules at the international sporting event? Maybe it's those two (out of ten or more) that should learn the rules?

I am not sure Canadian players are "bigger and stronger." They just play with greater aggression and greater disregard for "good sportsmanship."

Old
12-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Just like to make a correction. Hockey is not a contact sport, pairs figure skating is a contact sport. Hockey is a collision sport. There's a hockey player who says the almost exact same thing, I'm on my phone though and can't find the quote.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So essentially you have no response? I mean, if a player were skating fast towards the goalie you could consider that reckless play, and if his skate ends up cutting the goalie (or another player) he should be penalized, right? Does that mean, based on your comments/standards, that you should preventatively penalize any player who skates fast because this outcome could happen?

To prevent concussions maybe all players can wear padding and instead of ice they play on a trampoline, and instead of hockey sticks and a puck they can use a tennis ball and pillows.
Please do not compare this terrible accident with Camara hit (or any hit)

our example of accident leading to change rules :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lud%C4%9Bk_%C4%8Cajka

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Uhm... since when does one (or even two) countries dictate all the rules at the international sporting event? Maybe it's those two (out of ten or more) that should learn the rules?

I am not sure Canadian players are "bigger and stronger." They just play with greater aggression and greater disregard for "good sportsmanship."
How is playing within the rules dictating the rules? Unless you can show me where in the rulebook it states that body checking is illegal then what you are arguing is moot. You're wrong. Maybe the other countries should learn the rules and accept the physical play, since, you know, it's legal?

Are we talking about hockey? Or are we talking about golf? One is a contact sport where it's perfectly fine to hammer your opponent, and the other is not. It's not poor sportsmanship to demolish an opponent. Maybe players should be held accountable for their actions and players (like the Slovakian player) should learn to keep their head up so they don't get demolished like that?

Old
12-29-2012, 02:34 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
Please do not compare this terrible accident with Camara hit (or any hit)

our example of accident leading to change rules :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lud%C4%9Bk_%C4%8Cajka
Answer the question. I'm not comparing, I'm simply applying your logic. Or where does it stop with you? I mean, I would think skate cuts are far more dangerous than concussions so wouldn't it make more sense to apply your logic to prevent skate cuts? If so, then skating fast at all (and falling down) should be a penalty. Game misconduct for skating too fast (dangerous play). Makes sense, right?

Old
12-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Apparently, reffing is a joke at every level of hockey all over the world. Maybe everyone should just accept that hockey is a very hard sport to officiate?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:40 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Apparently, reffing is a joke at every level of hockey all over the world. Maybe everyone should just accept that hockey is a very hard sport to officiate?
Not when players are being penalized and thrown out of games for perfectly clean hits.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Zine

CHL season = "CHL reffing is a joke!"

NHL season = "NHL reffing is a joke!"

IIHF tournaments = "IIHF reffing is a joke!"

....same old, same old.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:41 PM
habsfanatics

I actually thought Camara's hit was definitely charging. I'm canadian, it was clean in the sense that his arms/shoulders were down and his feet never left the ice, but he went a long way at full stride to hit a vulnerable target. I have no problem with that call.

The reffing was atrocious for reasons other than these hits though. The flow of the game is completely interrupted for their insistence on calling something every time a player falls down on the ice. I wasn't a big fan of the dives we took either, I don't think we're the only ones to embellish though.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Zybalto

Quote:
If by "mockery" you mean "punishing the hits that injure," by god, I hope the refs keep doing what they do. And if Canada doesn't learn, I hope it will be a parade to the dressing room for them. Surely Canada can win with just six or seven forwards, cuz they are just sooo much better than everybody else...
I have no problem with applying punishment to illegal hits that injure.

You seem to be advocating a position that promotes punishing players for legal hitting in the case of an injury. Miro Altonen was knocked out of the tournament after getting hit clean knocking him off balance and breaking his ankle. Should the Latvian player have been suspended? Altonen wasn't quite ready for the well timed hit.

Your position is bizarre.

Your continued silence on the Rapac knee on Scheifele also speaks volumes. You must be outraged that the officals only gave Rapac 2 min and the IIHF didn't even look at it for a suspension. Every bit as dirty as Lipon's hit no?

Just as I would like to see consistancy in the officiating and IIHF reviews, it would be nice to see some consistancy from you in this thread.

Zybalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
CHL season = "CHL reffing is a joke!"

NHL season = "NHL reffing is a joke!"

IIHF tournaments = "IIHF reffing is a joke!"

....same old, same old.
Reffing for NHL and CHL is a joke. IIHF reffing is a ****ing ****** ass joke

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I actually thought Camara's hit was definitely charging. I'm canadian, it was clean in the sense that his arms/shoulders were down and his feet never left the ice, but he went a long way at full stride to hit a vulnerable target. I have no problem with that call.

The reffing was atrocious for reasons other than these hits though. The flow of the game is completely interrupted for their insistence on calling something every time a player falls down on the ice. I wasn't a big fan of the dives we took either, I don't think we're the only ones to embellish though.
Your interpretation of the call is wrong. It wasn't charging...Camara glided into the Slovakian player. He didn't "charge up" his stride to make a bigger impact.

Also, it's quite telling that there was no call until the stretcher came out (and that an official even told Camara it was a clean hit). Seems a lot like the officials only made a call because a player got hurt. Stupid officiating.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:59 PM
nucks88

vCash: 1263
Quote:

So a good, clean body check is no longer considered "good sportsmanship"? I guess it's some country's way that if you can't beat 'em. change the rules. Funny that so many non-Canadians continue to come play in that bastion of "poor sportsmanship" the CHL!

nucks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybalto View Post
I have no problem with applying punishment to illegal hits that injure.

You seem to be advocating a position that promotes punishing players for legal hitting in the case of an injury. Miro Altonen was knocked out of the tournament after getting hit clean knocking him off balance and breaking his ankle. Should the Latvian player have been suspended? Altonen wasn't quite ready for the well timed hit.

Your position is bizarre.

Your continued silence on the Rapac knee on Scheifele also speaks volumes. You must be outraged that the officals only gave Rapac 2 min and the IIHF didn't even look at it for a suspension. Every bit as dirty as Lipon's hit no?

Just as I would like to see consistancy in the officiating and IIHF reviews, it would be nice to see some consistancy from you in this thread.
I didn't see either incident, so I can't comment on them. Does that also "speak volumes"? If both players were injured, the offenders should be suspended.

I fully recognize the fact that my position is an outlier. Oh well, it's not the only one :

Old
12-29-2012, 03:12 PM
stish

Reading some of the responses in this thread makes me agree with Don Cherry more; and that is frightening. Just have an all European non-contact tournament with 500 people in the stands and a T.V. contract worth 6,000 Euro and everything will be fine.

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I didn't see either incident, so I can't comment on them. Does that also "speak volumes"? If both players were injured, the offenders should be suspended.

I fully recognize the fact that my position is an outlier. Oh well, it's not the only one :
Your position is flat out wrong. If a player injures another player on a clean play, there should be no suspension or penalty whatsoever. Why? Because as mentioned it was a CLEAN play.

Old
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks88 View Post
So a good, clean body check is no longer considered "good sportsmanship"? I guess it's some country's way that if you can't beat 'em. change the rules. Funny that so many non-Canadians continue to come play in that bastion of "poor sportsmanship" the CHL!
Deliberately injuring people is bad sportsmanship, sorry. This is not "war" (no matter what sports commentators make you believe), you are not protecting your country or your family. It's a s-p-o-r-t. If you can't beat your opponent with your skill, reserving to violence and injure them constitutes a definition of "bad sportsmanship" in my book.

Old
Hynh

Quote:

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote