HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2012, 01:40 PM
  #76
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by badumtsh View Post
Pretty naive to think it will be any better attendence numbers because Malmö is close to Europe. The only thing helping there is that foreigners can get the hell out of there fast when the games are over.

I still believe having it in a smaller hockey town like Jönköping, Växjö, Gävle, Övik and Skellefteå etc would make it alot more fun.
Nice strawman argument.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:52 PM
  #77
badumtsh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Sweden
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
Nice strawman argument.
Kinda like yours then. That full circle and all.

badumtsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:04 PM
  #78
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by badumtsh View Post
Kinda like yours then. That full circle and all.
Haha, really? Let's review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig
Pretty naivë to think the case would be different in any other part of the world than Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badumtsh
Pretty naive to think it will be any better attendence numbers because Malmö is close to Europe.
Clearly, I stated that Malmö will have better attendence numbers because they're close to the continent, not because they have the second highest average hockey attendence in Sweden; http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Stat...ttendance/3005

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:10 PM
  #79
badumtsh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Sweden
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
Haha, really? Let's review:





Clearly, I stated that Malmö will have better attendence numbers because they're close to the continent, not because they have the second highest average hockey attendence in Sweden; http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Stat...ttendance/3005
No you called me naive for thinking that anything other than Canadians could get some what decent audience for Non-home team games without even coming up with a counter argument from what I wrote from the very beginning. Then you pull the "strawman" bull when your original comment was just calling me out for being naive, like that would be any better.

badumtsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:20 PM
  #80
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qTdFX6thg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZwtzO_kjys

Not sure if this is really how it is or if media just want to make a story, never been there
I wouldn't trust Fox News when it comes to a place largely inhibitated by muslims. But yes, the fact is it is not a very good neighbourhood.
However I don't see why in the world you would go there so no big deal.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:25 PM
  #81
romelson
Registered User
 
romelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Örnsköldsvik
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,005
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post

The facts displayed, Sweden doesn't go as north as Finland does.

Cut it off boys, there is no north in Sweden. North starts, where Sweden ends! In Finland, we have the real North
Land north of Oulu river can hardly be called Finland. Thats Sapmi.

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:52 PM
  #82
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by badumtsh View Post
No you called me naive for thinking that anything other than Canadians could get some what decent audience for Non-home team games without even coming up with a counter argument from what I wrote from the very beginning. Then you pull the "strawman" bull when your original comment was just calling me out for being naive, like that would be any better.
I didn't call you naivë, just your reasoning. But I do think it's pretty far-fetched to assume the level of attendence would be acceptable for lower profile games in a U20 tournament anywhere else in the world than Canada. Even when the tournament has been held in Canada the attendence has been so-so for some games. Not to mention the previous years, including this, when it's been held outside of Canada.

Mora-Leksand had an average attendence of ~2000 I think.

I also haven't refuted your claim that holding the tournament in any other city would be better. Except for the attendence numbers I linked in my previous post I can't summon any argument to the contrary that isn't highly arbitrary in nature since these type of tournaments are not a frequent occurence.

Now, I think holding the tournament in Malmö is part experiment, part compensation. Malmö was supposed to co-host the WHC with Stockholm in 2013(?) but got shafted by the federation and given the WJC instead as compensation.

As for what is a "better" city to host this tournament -- that's HIGHLY subjective until we atleast have some numbers from Malmö in 2014.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
  #83
Shrimper
WinItFor#58
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 61,925
vCash: 50
Anyone know when the fixtures/groups are likely to be announced?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:35 AM
  #84
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Anyone know when the fixtures/groups are likely to be announced?
Unless they changed it, groups are determined directly by the result of this tournament.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:36 AM
  #85
Shrimper
WinItFor#58
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 61,925
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
Unless they changed it, groups are determined directly by the result of this tournament.
I think I remember now. It's done on rankings and points and things like that isn't it?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:59 AM
  #86
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I think I remember now. It's done on rankings and points and things like that isn't it?
Looking at last years result and the groups this year, I would guess it works something like this;

* Winner in A (SWE).
* 2nd & 3rd in B (RUS/CAN).
* 4th/5th in A (FIN/CZE).
* 6th/7th in B (SVK/USA).
* 9th A (LAT).

No idea about 10th place. They belong in Group B but I'm not sure how which team is determined.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:59 AM
  #87
Shrimper
WinItFor#58
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 61,925
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
Looking at last years result and the groups this year, I would guess it works something like this;

* Winner in A (SWE).
* 2nd & 3rd in B (RUS/CAN).
* 4th/5th in A (FIN/CZE).
* 6th/7th in B (SVK/USA).
* 9th A (LAT).

No idea about 10th place.
10th would go to the space that's free surely? (Because that'd be the team that's relegated/promoted?)

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:02 AM
  #88
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
10th would go to the space that's free surely? (Because that'd be the team that's relegated/promoted?)
Yes, I edited. Denmark placed 10th last year and Germany won Div 1. 10th team automatically demoted to D1 and winner of D1 promoted to the big leagues perhaps?

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:55 AM
  #89
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
Land north of Oulu river can hardly be called Finland. Thats Sapmi.
Same could be said for the northern parts of Sweden.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:59 AM
  #90
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
I think Sweden is easier for European folks to visit than freaking Ufa, no matter how ghettoed up it is in Malmö

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:02 PM
  #91
Robin Hood
Registered User
 
Robin Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Utrecht, NL
Country: Denmark
Posts: 690
vCash: 500
As others have said the arena is just one stop away from Copenhagen airport. It would make just as mush sense to stay in Copenhagen but why not split cities so you get to see everything. Air Canada has a daily flight from Toronto to Copenhagen. The thing about Christiania as that it's not what it used to be. Gangs have taken over and I'd seriously consider going there. Also because there's nothing to see really. If you go, please do everything to avoid looking like a tourist and do not go after darkness. You'd expose yourself to real danger. Also DO NOT take pictures. I have no suggestion for hotels since I've never lived in one here, but there are a bunch of really large new ones near the airport with round-the-clock metro connection to the center of Copenhagen.

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:07 PM
  #92
Swep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Its not just the arenas, it is 3 good cities with many hotels and things to do. There is nothing wrong with Swedbank Arena and En Arena. Gärdehallen might not be great tho but do we need more then two arenas? And the best thing about it? It is not Stockholm, Gothenburg or Malmö
Calling Timrå a city would be the exaggeration of the century. Small place that smells like **** and has an arena in the middle of the forest. It's too hard to get from Sundsvall to En, so the attendance would be terrible (main reason for Timrås poor attendance in the SEL). If Sundsvall had a decent arena I think Ö-vik/Sundsvall wouldn't be such a bad idea. Sundsvall isn't that bad of a city if you stay for a week or two. Has hotels, pubs, cinema, bowling or w/e you wanna do to stay entertained, but it's an awful place to live imo.

Best choice of city imo would be Gothenburg.
I think no matter where it's held, games like Latvia - Switzerland will have low attendance. It's not like people will go to see their NHL teams prospects, there is a need for higher entertainment. If it's marketed well enough and the tickets aren't too expensive, the decent games will perhaps not all be sold out, but definitly have a decent attendance.

Swep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:30 PM
  #93
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,088
vCash: 500
Is it really that odd that they place the tournament in the city with the best hockey arena we have by far in sweden?

The only thing I could complain about is as people have said, Malmö is 90% a football town. MFF rules that town and I do not expect to see many people at games that does not include Sweden or Denmark.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:31 AM
  #94
Shrimper
WinItFor#58
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 61,925
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
I think Sweden is easier for European folks to visit than freaking Ufa, no matter how ghettoed up it is in Malmö
Malmo is a lot easier on viewing figures at well. Earliest game will be at 13:00 which is 7:00AM EST and 12:00GMT.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:12 AM
  #95
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,088
vCash: 500
Malmö is not ghettoed up at all. Especially not if you're in the city. The people saying this has most likely never even been to the city. I live 20 mins away and has spent a lot of time there.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:45 AM
  #96
MISC*
Negged.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedelicious View Post
Malmö is a mess. If you do decide to go there, at least stay at the hotel room after dark, and don't wander off to the real bad parts (IE Rosengård). And before you say I don't know what I am talkning about: I was born and raised in Malmö. Now moved away from the lost city. Far away.
Bro, we're Canadian.

We don't dive in the streets. North to South. Hard nosed Canadian tourist.

We ain't scurred on no Swedish gangs.


MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:02 AM
  #97
Swedelicious
Registered User
 
Swedelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Under the whip of Sisyfos
Country:
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Bro, we're Canadian.

We don't dive in the streets. North to South. Hard nosed Canadian tourist.

We ain't scurred on no Swedish gangs.

Yeah, well. Bring tasers and tanks.

Swedelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:47 AM
  #98
PuckOut
Registered User
 
PuckOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Malmö is not ghettoed up at all. Especially not if you're in the city. The people saying this has most likely never even been to the city. I live 20 mins away and has spent a lot of time there.
Yes, it's embarrassing to read some of the "warnings" here.

Someone visiting Malmö for the WJC shouldn't (and of course won't) go into the worst housing projects. They have no reason to, and they wont.

And outside of that, there's really no problem for anyone with some common sense. It's a decent city and there are some nice spots in the city centre (Lilla Torg f.e.).

That said I think Malmö was a somewhat poor choice as host and attendance will probably be disappointing.

PuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:50 AM
  #99
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
Clearly, I stated that Malmö will have better attendence numbers because they're close to the continent, not because they have the second highest average hockey attendence in Sweden; http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Stat...ttendance/3005
You're forgetting that there is a better league than Allsvenskan, the third most populous town Malmö only comes in at 8th place in average attendance.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:34 PM
  #100
Bob Barker
Registered User
 
Bob Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 500
I googled it, but I thought I could get some insight here as well.

What's the best way to get over the bridge from Copenhagen to Malmo? Just drive and pay the fee for every game? It looks like it's 45 Euros for each trip. Even if you pay for a ten trip pass, it's 32 Euros a trip which will add up very quickly if people are looking to stay in Copenhagen.

I may be way off, and I can accept that. There's a bus too, but their site is offline until tomorrow.

Any expert opinions from Sweden/Denmark (or anyone else I guess)?

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.