HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A. (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 01:03 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Wouldn't have hurt to invite them though.
I agree but I think USAH's thought process is that because they have the least amount of time together pre-tournament out of all the teams that they would prefer to use the camp as a time for chemistry instead a time for competition. I can understand the thought process but I don't agree with it, especially when you have a coach that didn't try multiple different combinations in the camp (which is just practices - no scrimmages) to see what was there. We don't need a camp the size of Canada's because we don't have that much talent in competition for the team but they shouldn't be having a camp where only 1 forward is going home - we certainly have more talent than that. Basically, my point is you can't guarantee chemistry but you can guarantee a competitive camp. I don't know why they went with the unknown.

12-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
How has Tyler Biggs looked through the first 2 games?
He's played well in a 3rd line role, lays the body on, had some chances to score, all you would expect from a 3rd line winger. He's a much better skater than his rep belies him an he has a quick release.

The whole 3rd line has had their chances, just need to bury them. Especially If the top 2 lines fail to produce when the competition is tougher as it was with the Russians.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
We need **** disturbers like Samuelsson/Matteau. Or Biggs needs to step his game up.
To do what-take stupid penalities? The U.S. needs scoring, not extracurricular hijinks.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:58 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

lets see how we respond and play against Canada tomorrow before we hit the panic button yet. Canada is more our style and should be a great battle. If the US comes out completely flat, outworked, or whatever; then it is time to be very concerned. If we just come out and work hard, skate fast, make simple passes and play we should be okay. We need to be the pests on the ice and agitate the hell out of Canada, not the other way around..

Old
12-29-2012, 01:59 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
To do what-take stupid penalities? The U.S. needs scoring, not extracurricular hijinks.
The Canadians have plenty of guys like that - the reason we are down two forwards. You can have them.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
lets see how we respond and play against Canada tomorrow before we hit the panic button yet. Canada is more our style and should be a great battle. If the US comes out completely flat, outworked, or whatever; then it is time to be very concerned. If we just come out and work hard, skate fast, make simple passes and play we should be okay. We need to be the pests on the ice and agitate the hell out of Canada, not the other way around..
The other issue is, guess what? Russia is a very good team with good structure! The U.S. played well but fell short. It happens. They need to tweak the forward lines a bit and apply the same kind of effort that they've shown so far. If they do that, good things should happen.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:08 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Pretty hard to play right when Grimaldi runs around like a lunatic all game long thinking blind passes are the way to go.

Gaudreau isnt playing great IMO but he has looked more in place on the top line than Grimaldi has.
Well I'll respectfully disagree, although they have both been terrible for their standards.

In my mind Grimaldi can still contribute to the team when he isn't on the scoresheet. He battles hard on the forecheck and plays pretty well in his own end. I don't think the same can be said about Gaudreau IMO.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:21 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post
Well I'll respectfully disagree, although they have both been terrible for their standards.

In my mind Grimaldi can still contribute to the team when he isn't on the scoresheet. He battles hard on the forecheck and plays pretty well in his own end. I don't think the same can be said about Gaudreau IMO.
Agree with this, Gaudreau has been the most disappointing guy in the top 6 for me, even more than Miller who seems to get the most heat on that line even over the two smurfs.

However, Gaudreau has been a ghost and since I watch a decent amount of college hockey I cannot figure out why. I have no idea where he is but he is missing fantastic chances and isn't battling the way I am used to seeing him at BC. Now granted this is a step up in competition but Johnny Hockey has not stepped up and hasn't looked good for me. He needs to get going in a hurry.

Grimaldi and Miller have at least played well in their own zone and neutral zone.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post

Housley is not maximizing the roster's potential-plain and simple. If he doesn't adapt before the Canada game than he'll just be another in a long line of bozo American coaches at this event.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:33 PM
William H Bonney

I'm worried about the lack of chemistry (and the lack of action about it by Housley) in the top six. That's it. Nothing else worries me so far. Even if we lose a close one to Canada I won't be worried. Those two teams are both stacked and both gold medal favorites. The Russia game could have easily been a Team USA win. Now, I hope we beat Canada but if we take care of Slovakia they give themselves the chance in the QFs - and they can beat any of the possible teams they'd face. Now they just have to do it.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Claypool

I think everyone is over-analyzing one loss to a really good team.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:43 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I'm worried about the lack of chemistry (and the lack of action about it by Housley) in the top six. That's it. Nothing else worries me so far. Even if we lose a close one to Canada I won't be worried. Those two teams are both stacked and both gold medal favorites. The Russia game could have easily been a Team USA win. Now, I hope we beat Canada but if we take care of Slovakia they give themselves the chance in the QFs - and they can beat any of the possible teams they'd face. Now they just have to do it.
Pretty much the same for me. I'm actually really happy about this d corps. Gibson has been pretty good. This team doesnt lack effort either.

I was somewhat surprised that Housley didn't mention switching things up in the post game interview. He seemed pretty happy with the way things went, which worries me.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:57 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

If you want an effective Miller, switch his position with Grimaldi. He's at his best when he's winning battles along the boards and crashing the net. Lining up as a center doesn't give him that freedom.

The coaching and decision making has been laughable, starting with not inviting Kerdiles and continuing all the way to line combinations and ice-time for players.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:20 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Always tough to say with Team USA. They could play a game like and then go out out and play Canada close or beat them or lose to Slovakia and go to relegation for the second year in a row. We're so hit or miss at this event.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:34 PM
flyers28giroux

My biggest concern is that in the Russian game a lot of our offensive chances came from around the perimeter or down the wings. We really didn't create any chances down the middle or in the slot nor did we really create any odd man rushes. If we're going to beat Canada our top six is going to have to be effective and were going to have get some shots off down the middle like we did in the Germany game.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:52 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
He's played well in a 3rd line role, lays the body on, had some chances to score, all you would expect from a 3rd line winger. He's a much better skater than his rep belies him an he has a quick release.

The whole 3rd line has had their chances, just need to bury them. Especially If the top 2 lines fail to produce when the competition is tougher as it was with the Russians.
3rd line USA player equates to 4th line NHL player.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:53 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
My biggest concern is that in the Russian game a lot of our offensive chances came from around the perimeter or down the wings. We really didn't create any chances down the middle or in the slot nor did we really create any odd man rushes. If we're going to beat Canada our top six is going to have to be effective and were going to have get some shots off down the middle like we did in the Germany game.
but again, credit that to Russia who like Rabid said were coached very well and executed their game plan pretty spot on. They didnt give up the big play and stayed discipline even when they where chasing the puck.

I agree that our top 6 needs to play better against Canada, but at this point in the game I am not exactly sure who our top 6 should really be as I am rooting for Ryan Hartman to get a ton more icetime here and displace one of the underperformers.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:00 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
If you want an effective Miller, switch his position with Grimaldi. He's at his best when he's winning battles along the boards and crashing the net. Lining up as a center doesn't give him that freedom.

The coaching and decision making has been laughable, starting with not inviting Kerdiles and continuing all the way to line combinations and ice-time for players.
I do agree with this as well as I understand why team USA went with Miller at center to begin with...Tomorrow for me has the spotlight on J.T Miller. He is the lone professional player we have, he is a returning player from last years horrible team, and simply put, he should be the hungriest player on the ice looking to prove something as well as get redemption.

A big matchup against Canada is exactly the game this kid should be jacked for as he has played against many of these kids for a number of years including international competition. The weight is on his shoulders to step up and be our Derek Stepan...I pray he finds that fire and he becomes our top player for this tournament.

To be fair, the decision to not bring Kerdiles has nothing to do with Housley, that was a Jim Johansson move, who IMO needs to get bounced as he is getting stale. The lack of competition in camp could prove to be horrendous as there was only 1 forward cut and 2 dmen cut...hardly making every player invited earn their spot.

I understand that college had testing going on during this time frame, but that is not enough of an excuse for me. If your going to do a December camp, do it right or don't do it all. There was no reason why these kids were not invited to at least fight or help motivate other players for a roster spot : Nicolas Kerdiles, Adam Erne, Brady Vail, Reid Boucher, and Dylan Blujus...

Old
12-29-2012, 04:08 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
To be fair, the decision to not bring Kerdiles has nothing to do with Housley, that was a Jim Johansson move, who IMO needs to get bounced as he is getting stale. The lack of competition in camp could prove to be horrendous as there was only 1 forward cut and 2 dmen cut...hardly making every player invited earn their spot.

I understand that college had testing going on during this time frame, but that is not enough of an excuse for me. If your going to do a December camp, do it right or don't do it all. There was no reason why these kids were not invited to at least fight or help motivate other players for a roster spot : Nicolas Kerdiles, Adam Erne, Brady Vail, Reid Boucher, and Dylan Blujus...
I agree. It's ridiculous the way it's currently run. There's so many hockey players in the United States. The goal should be to get the best 13 forwards, 7 Defensemen, and Goalies on the roster. I'd rather have a camp too big than too small. Let the team naturally form rather than desperately trying to build one. Whether you played for the USNDTP or not or any other factor should irrelevant. If you can outplay somebody for a spot it should be yours. A good coach and good players can figure out how to play together.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:18 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Always tough to say with Team USA. They could play a game like and then go out out and play Canada close or beat them or lose to Slovakia and go to relegation for the second year in a row. We're so hit or miss at this event.
Yeah, that's true. I'm glad the follow up game is against Canada because that's a game they usually show up for (see last year) regardless of their overall tournament. Had the team just lost a close game they felt they should have won against Canada instead of Russia, I would be worried about what kind of effort we'd see against Russia to follow. But since that's not the case, I'm not as worried. I really hope they win because the team could still get the top spot. But even if they lose, I just hope to see some improvement and a good, hard fought game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
I agree with the others that said you just have to give some credit to a damn good Russian team. They played well. I also remember a poster that said the US team continually either overlooked or refused to utilize the trailer into the zone and never would drop it back - and I completely agree. It was baffling and would have created a lot more of the chances in the slot we'd prefer to see. I think that may have been a coaching move because they were afraid of turnovers leading to odd-man rushes.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:23 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
but again, credit that to Russia who like Rabid said were coached very well and executed their game plan pretty spot on. They didnt give up the big play and stayed discipline even when they where chasing the puck.

I agree that our top 6 needs to play better against Canada, but at this point in the game I am not exactly sure who our top 6 should really be as I am rooting for Ryan Hartman to get a ton more icetime here and displace one of the underperformers.
Yeah Ryan Hartman has impressed me too, I don't think our problem has been our bottom six, our problem has been our top six. I don't understand why Housley has decided to not move Galchenyuk to the center spot, Galchenyuk would fit perfectly down the middle, move Miller to the wing and keep Grimaldi on the wing. A first line consisting of Grimaldi-Galchenyuk-Miller, I believe could be very effective, sure it wouldn't be a Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele line or Sigaryov-Khokhlachev-Yakupov line but it could possibly get the job done.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:42 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
I do agree with this as well as I understand why team USA went with Miller at center to begin with...Tomorrow for me has the spotlight on J.T Miller. He is the lone professional player we have, he is a returning player from last years horrible team, and simply put, he should be the hungriest player on the ice looking to prove something as well as get redemption.

A big matchup against Canada is exactly the game this kid should be jacked for as he has played against many of these kids for a number of years including international competition. The weight is on his shoulders to step up and be our Derek Stepan...I pray he finds that fire and he becomes our top player for this tournament.

Yeah I agree especially with your final thought. I still question why they couldn't just send an invite to players like Kerdiles, Compher, Erne, Vail, etc... as those guys will probably be expected to lead next year's team. Even if those players weren't going to make the team, I don't think an invite would of hurt the team or the camaraderie that some of the players from the summer camp had.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Xokkeu

Miller-Galchenyuk-Grimaldi
Gaudreau-Kuraly-Barber
Lucia-Trochek-Hartman
Pietila-Bardreau-Biggs
Vesey

Last edited by Xokkeu: 12-29-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 05:26 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

I am pretty much thinking about putting Biggs in the top 6 against Canada...lets see what he can do in a physical matchup

Old
12-30-2012, 01:50 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Looks like a team of plugs to me, the most "skilled" guys are small, the "big" guys lack any special talent, not hating just seems like a "meh" team overall, I don't see them winning any medals, i'd like to be wrong we've gotten somewhat spoiled in the past with great rosters, this one is probably our worst in 3 or 4 years atleast

Closed Thread