HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Highest Potential: RNH vs Tavares vs Landeskog vs Hall

View Poll Results: Who has the highest potential
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 83 18.99%
John Tavares 323 73.91%
Gabriel Landeskog 19 4.35%
Taylor Hall 12 2.75%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2012, 02:06 PM
  #26
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Landeskog because of his 2-way play.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:06 PM
  #27
nowhereman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,525
vCash: 500
I can see Tavares potentially becoming the fourth best player in the NHL, in the next year or two. That doesn't seem that great, unless you consider how good the top three (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos) really are. I think JT will end up pretty close to Stamkos but a clear tier below Sid and Geno.

nowhereman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:09 PM
  #28
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, and Ovechkin are on a different level than Tavares and I seriously doubt you would take him over the others.
I wouldn't take him over the others, however if I was asked who has the highest potential, the question is a little bit more tricky. I think Tavares has sky-high potential, now whether or not he'll reach it is TBD (whereas someone like Ovechkin already has several 100+ point seasons), but from a pure potential standpoint yes I think Tavares is close to Stamkos and Ovechkin.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:09 PM
  #29
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
Tavares PPG
Season1 - .65
Season2 - .85

RNH PPG
Season1 - .84
Season2 - 1.05 (in the AHL yes, but hey you brought it up)

Looks to me like their PPG have improved at the same rate over their first two seasons.
Not to mention Nugent went pointless in 4 straight games before taking a week off to heal his tweaked shoulder and going to the WJC so his current AHL PPG isn't even a good indication of how he's played prior to his pointless streak he was 4th in league scoring.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:10 PM
  #30
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
I never said he was Ovechkin good, since he's not. Ovechkin made a case for the best player in the league for a few years.

Also, Ovechkin HAS played with much better talent around him all these years. Not saying that's why he's been so good, because it's not (was always an ovy fan). But Tavares has had the pleasure of playing with the insane playmaking and scoring abilities of Michael Grabner, Matt Moulson, and Frans Nielsson all these years. He's pretty much carried Grabner and Moulson back to relevancy.
Oh look, people downplaying Moulson again to pimp Tavares. And Grabner had a steller rookie season, and was not dependent on Tavares considering he spent most of his time with Nielson and Okposo.

And your an Ovy fan right? Ovechkin scored 65 goals before backstrom had even become relevant, he had as much goals as backstrom had points that season. not to mention he scored 100 points with linemates worst then Tavares ever had his rookie season. Tavares doesn't have Ovechkin potential.


Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
and ovechkin hasnt done anything like that since tavares' rookie season

when all is said and done during the overlapping part of their careers jt outscores ovy by a wide margin
and JT would be lucky to have half the career Ovechkin did in only 5 years of his career...

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:14 PM
  #31
Jray42
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Oh look, people downplaying Moulson again to pimp Tavares. And Grabner had a steller rookie season, and was not dependent on Tavares considering he spent most of his time with Nielson and Okposo.

And your an Ovy fan right? Ovechkin scored 65 goals before backstrom had even become relevant, he had as much goals as backstrom had points that season. not to mention he scored 100 points with linemates worst then Tavares ever had his rookie season. Tavares doesn't have Ovechkin potential.
I haven't disputed this fact at all, in fact, I have agreed with you. I just stated I thought he had 100+ point potential, and you keep trying to ram down my throat about how much better Oveckin was. No **** sherlock.

I think your confusing me with the guy who said he thinks he'd be tempted to take Tavares over the latter two (Ovechkin and Stamkos). I, however, wouldn't.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:16 PM
  #32
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
and ovechkin hasnt done anything like that since tavares' rookie season

when all is said and done during the overlapping part of their careers jt outscores ovy by a wide margin
Well everyone expects John to outscore AO in 4 years when he is in his prime and AO is on his decline but what does that have to do with anything?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:16 PM
  #33
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Oh look, people downplaying Moulson again to pimp Tavares. And Grabner had a steller rookie season, and was not dependent on Tavares considering he spent most of his time with Nielson and Okposo.

And your an Ovy fan right? Ovechkin scored 65 goals before backstrom had even become relevant, he had as much goals as backstrom had points that season. not to mention he scored 100 points with linemates worst then Tavares ever had his rookie season. Tavares doesn't have Ovechkin potential.




and JT would be lucky to have half the career Ovechkin did in only 5 years of his career...
so including the last 3 seasons and then predicting up to the point where ovy retires who do you expect to put up more points in that time span?

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:17 PM
  #34
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Well everyone expects John to outscore AO in 4 years when he is in his prime and AO is on his decline but what does that have to do with anything?
i just hate ovechkin alot

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:20 PM
  #35
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
I never said he was Ovechkin good, since he's not. Ovechkin made a case for the best player in the league for a few years.

Also, Ovechkin HAS played with much better talent around him all these years. Not saying that's why he's been so good, because it's not (was always an ovy fan). But Tavares has had the pleasure of playing with the insane playmaking and scoring abilities of Michael Grabner, Matt Moulson, and Frans Nielsson all these years. He's pretty much carried Grabner and Moulson back to relevancy.
If there is one thing that Ovechkin has proven, it's that he can both produce with or without good linemates. His first two seasons he practically averaged 50G-50A playing on a bottom feeder team turning Chris Clark into a 30G scorer and giving Danius Zubrus career 50pt+ seasons.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:21 PM
  #36
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
so including the last 3 seasons and then predicting up to the point where ovy retires who do you expect to put up more points in that time span?
so you seriously want to count Taveres from 18 till the end of his career and AO from 24 till his end to prove exactly what?

all 4 guys in this thread will outscore AO on that metric but who cares?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
  #37
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
If there is one thing that Ovechkin has proven, it's that he can both produce with or without good linemates. His first two seasons he practically averaged 50G-50A playing on a bottom feeder team turning Chris Clark into a 30G scorer and giving Danius Zubrus career 50pt+ seasons.
well tavares did the same with moulson and PaP

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:23 PM
  #38
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
so you seriously want to count Taveres from 18 till the end of his career and AO from 24 till his end to prove exactly what?

all 4 guys in this thread will outscore AO on that metric but who cares?
not till the end of jt's career, until the end of ovechkins career

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:59 PM
  #39
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
not till the end of jt's career, until the end of ovechkins career
Why go until the end of his career? Ovechkin is 5 years older. I'd say even for the next 5 years, until JT is 27 and Ovechkin is 32, Ovechkin still has him beat on overlapping careers numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
well tavares did the same with moulson and PaP
Except Tavares averaged 62 points while doing so and Ovechkin averaged 100..

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:37 PM
  #40
PhillyBluesFan
Registered User
 
PhillyBluesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
1.Gaby Landeskog
2.John Tavares
3.Ryan Hopkins
4.Taylor Hall

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:46 PM
  #41
AD1066
Registered User
 
AD1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
I never said he was Ovechkin good, since he's not. Ovechkin made a case for the best player in the league for a few years.

Also, Ovechkin HAS played with much better talent around him all these years. Not saying that's why he's been so good, because it's not (was always an ovy fan). But Tavares has had the pleasure of playing with the insane playmaking and scoring abilities of Michael Grabner, Matt Moulson, and Frans Nielsson all these years. He's pretty much carried Grabner and Moulson back to relevancy.
What about Ovechkin's rookie year? He had 106 points, while his next closest teammate, Zubrus, had 57 points. Halpern came in 3rd with 44 points.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:49 PM
  #42
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
1.Gaby Landeskog
2.John Tavares
3.Ryan Hopkins
4.Taylor Hall
You'd really rather have Landeskog than Tavares? I really like Landeskog but come on.

JT
RNH
Landeskog
Hall

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:52 PM
  #43
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
You'd really rather have Landeskog than Tavares? I really like Landeskog but come on.

JT
RNH
Landeskog
Hall
Landeskog is pretty underrated. He's had the most impressive season thus far imo.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:58 PM
  #44
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,263
vCash: 500
Tavares AINEC

realistically Tavares has a floor than anyone else in this threads ceiling

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:10 PM
  #45
JSC
Registered Sniper
 
JSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Tavares
RNH
Hall
Landeskog

With that said, the hype for Tavares is getting ridiculous. Don't really understand where it's all coming from.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
  #46
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Landeskog is pretty underrated. He's had the most impressive season thus far imo.
Nahhh Tavares didn't pull off what, an 81 point season? Tavares' potential is ridiculous, his linemates and team will only improve in the coming years. The Isles will be relevant again.

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:13 PM
  #47
tony d
Thanks for memories
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,784
vCash: 500
Tavares
RNH
Hall
Landeskog

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:14 PM
  #48
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
I never said he was Ovechkin good, since he's not. Ovechkin made a case for the best player in the league for a few years.

Also, Ovechkin HAS played with much better talent around him all these years. Not saying that's why he's been so good, because it's not (was always an ovy fan). But Tavares has had the pleasure of playing with the insane playmaking and scoring abilities of Michael Grabner, Matt Moulson, and Frans Nielsson all these years. He's pretty much carried Grabner and Moulson back to relevancy.
Thats funny because Grabner played with Tavares maybe 1 game in the last 2 years. Grabner also doesn't play on the power play. Tavares was always on a line with Moulson, RW was PAP or Okposo.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:53 PM
  #49
AD1066
Registered User
 
AD1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
Tavares AINEC

realistically Tavares has a floor than anyone else in this threads ceiling
I think you accidentally a word

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree he has the most potential of the four listed.

I think I would take RNH second, and I'm undecided between Landeskog and Hall.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:00 PM
  #50
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,942
vCash: 100
Tavares pretty easily IMO, and the 2nd is RNH easily. After that I don't know...at first I thought Landeskog will be a Mike Richards type offensive guy but I think he could be an PPG player while providing everything he already does...his ceiling is probably Toews with better offense, don't know if he ever reaches it though.

Tavares
RNH
Landeskog
Hall..

Don't know why but I feel Hall is going to have a shorter NHL career than most 1st overall picks, he's definitely a winner though.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.