HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN - 10 ways for NHL to recover from lockout

Old
12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
I don't understand people's love of that stupid realignment that the NHL proposed.
that because your a fan of an east coast team...

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Butch 19
King me

Wow - a pretty stupid list. But that's the hockey insight I expect from ESPN.

European division, 3 on 3 OT...? 20 year CBA..?? I've seen better ideas on HF (and that's saying something!)

My fav was the correct spell check at the end of the piece: "I would think 20 years of labor peace sounds pretty good to everybody who cares about this game right about know."

Keep it up ESPN! Hockey's just fine on NBCSN.

And can we all just stop saying "playoff dance?" THe NHL isn't the NCAA where 140 teams make the playoffs.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:04 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
1 - absolutely do this. short term loss for long term gain, or at least mitigating long term damages.

2 - please do. Tweak it a bit, but please make re-allignment happen..

3 - wouldn't hate this, as it's closer to the historical playoff representation up through the early 90s if they do it this way.

4 - don't care when it's played, but bring it back. That said, owners/GMs would NEVER go for it happening in the middle of the season, save it for the summer/early fall months.

5 - or just do that and ditch the SO altogether.

6 - meh

7 - interesting idea, but it wouldn't work. Too many deals are done in that week inbetween the draft and official start of UFA.

8 - completely unrealistic

9 - completely unrealistic

10 - nice in theory, impractical

my item to propose: if they keep the SO, all games are worth 3 points - 3pt regulation win, 2pt OT/SO win, 1pt OT/SO loss, 0pt regulation loss

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
I don't understand people's love of that stupid realignment that the NHL proposed.
I don't either. Horrible.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Number nine is incredibly stupid.
Not related to the article but Franchise Hockey Manager!! I'm psyched for this.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:29 PM
EmersonBeatemEtem
Watcha gonna do!!!!

#9 is ridiculously stupid. He proposes relocating 6 US franchises to Europe which would pretty much all but destroy the NHL's goal of getting a national TV contract. Not only that but if you have teams in Europe, when the hell are they going to play the games? The NHL operates on a prime time schedule and how are you going to have these teams playing in prime time when its 3 in the morning over in Finland? Good luck getting people to go to games at that hour. With the exception of #3 and this awful idea, his list is pretty good.

EmersonBeatemEtem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:41 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Yes, you pissed off a lot of fans with this lockout. In order to gain some of those fans back, you might have to give something. You might even gain some new ones if you're giving out something for free.

Yes. Nothing much to add to this.

I see what he's trying to do, but now you're adding 4 teams (2 from each conference) to the playoffs. 20 out of 30 teams? This contradicts what he suggests in #6.

Undecided on this. I'm not against it, but I don't think this is an item that would be decided by the NHL.

No. Either go all 3 on 3 or all 4 on 4. The changing of rules seems something like you'd do for a pickup game, not a regular season game.

How are you shortening the season when you're adding games for the play-in round and having to work in a WCoH every 4 years?

Yes and yes. TSN already dedicates time for the deadline and free agency frenzy. Put them all in one arena, reuse the draft board to track signings. It would also save some time on deals that aren't finalized by the deadline.

No and no. Owners won't be moving their teams to Europe. The PA will shoot that idea down in a second. "travel....less than perfectly idea, but it's worth it?" Yeah, sign me up for that. Worth it to who? And a 20 year CBA? Neither side will agree to that, even with opt-out years.

More importantly, add the 3-2-1-0 point system.
I think I agree with everything you said.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:08 PM
camcool21

I say have 10 minutes of 4 on 4.

Point structure as follows:

2 points for a win.

1 point for a tie.

0 points for a loss.

I'm sick of the last 5-10 min of the 3rd period being a snooze-fest because teams decide they want to guarantee at least a point for themselves.

camcool21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I'm surprised that everybody isn't jumping on #3 as an awful idea....
I like #3. I would love to see an NFL style wild card race

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
How about making a Champions League type tournament? The final four from the NHL, and the top teams from the KHL, Sweden, and few other leagues have a tournament.
I would love to see this. We need a UEFA style champion's league. I highly doubt it would hurt the credibility of the league.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:08 PM
cowboy82nd

vCash: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
1. Free Center Ice for a year.
2. Move a team to Quebec City.
3. Remove the instigator rule.
4. Realignment.
5. Quit calling BS hooks and holds.

These are demands, not requests.
O.K. How about just calling the hooks and the holds?

cowboy82nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:36 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

Tweak #3 to be a single game between seeds 8 and 9 for the final playoff birth in each conference.

WonderTwinsUnite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:20 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
Tweak #3 to be a single game between seeds 8 and 9 for the final playoff birth in each conference.
I'd have it as a best of three series. Let those two teams wear each other out for 3 games in 5 nights while the rest of the top 7 rests. It would make the #8 seed a weaker opponent meaning finishing first in the conference means more.

As the #1 seed you would get a tired opponent, which is good for the #1 seed and the battle to get to the 7th seed would be right down to the wire to avoid the play-in round.

I think the "free Centre Ice" is a must. I say this selfishly because I REFUSE to pay them a cent this year and I don't want to spend the season stealing the games from bad feeds. Never happen though, they will probably charge a pro-rated full season rate (with an inflationary increase from last year) and pass it off as a deal.

3 on 3 is a gimmick but it is no where near the gimmick which is the shoot out. At least 3 on 3 is still "hockey". Ending a national hockey league game in a shoot out is like ending a NFL game by having quarterbacks throw football through a tire.

Realignment is a must, as is a ****ing balanced schedule. Every team should play at least once a year in every city, doing it any other way is moronic.

Shortening the preseason is a must as well but that will never happen. The owners want to make money and the exhibition games are gravy.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:27 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
East coast fans have no understanding of the need for realignment. It is a must for the Western teams.

A balanced schedule is just as important IMO.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
East coast fans have no understanding of the need for realignment. It is a must for the Western teams.

A balanced schedule is just as important IMO.
Having teams that earn more points then others and not make the playoffs is not a good thing.

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:54 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

I love #9. I'm Canadian but I'd love to see a European division. Those cities he cites indeed have a lot of hockey fans. I've wondered if the NHL pre-season and season openers in Europe were feelers for expansion. Maybe not yet, but on the horizon.

Quote:
Strongly study the merits of having NHL teams in Europe. I'd move my six weakest NHL markets to Europe and create a European division. I know people will laugh when reading this, but Iím dead serious. Unlike some southern U.S. markets, you donít have to explain the icing rule to folks in Helsinki, Stockholm, Prague, Zurich, Berlin and Moscow. They love and know the game there. I know there are travel issues that make this less than perfectly ideal, but itís worth it.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:05 PM
DyerMaker66

Just to be different: 9 ftw! It'll undoubtedly grow the game, and establish the league's footprint in lucrative foreign markets. A European Conference of 8 teams in a 36 team league with most games being played against divisional opponents is definitely feasable.

Prague, Helsinki, Stockholm, Zurich, Oslo, Berlin, Munich, and Minsk ftw!

DyerMaker66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:09 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
my item to propose: if they keep the SO, all games are worth 3 points - 3pt regulation win, 2pt OT/SO win, 1pt OT/SO loss, 0pt regulation loss
Agreed. The only thing I'd prefer to this is simply going by wins and losses.

DyerMaker66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:56 AM
hlaverty06

That would suck if you settle in Europe and get traded to like Anaheim

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:04 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
That would suck if you settle in Europe and get traded to like Anaheim
Canada wouldnt be the least desirable place to play finally!

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:05 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Someone on ESPN radio today said Gary Bettman should step down and that David Stern should step up and run the show. Was good for a laugh.
For as much **** as people give Gary, I don't think he's really done that bad of a job. Stern? Awful. I'm convinced that he's rigged outcomes (Of games and drafts) in the NBA more than once.

I'll give him credit though, at least he's tried to do stuff with the NBA. Bud Selig? He's content with the MLB staying in the 1980s while the rest of the sports world blow by. People can tout their revenue all they want, but the fact of the matter is their TV ratings have plummeted over the last 30 years.

And it really wouldn't surprise me if whoever said that on ESPN was dead serious. They're all about their basketball. I have non-hockey friends who have tried to say the only reason I hate ESPN is because they don't cover hockey. Not the case at all. I'm glad they don't, simply because they treated it like **** when they had it, and they bring in non-hockey analysts to disgrace it with their warped philosophy on how the sport should be more like the NBA. Not a ****ing chance. Just no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
"11. Ditch NBC and sign a TV deal with us for a discount so that we'll actually give hockey more coverage in our shows. "
Good God no.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

A play in round? da hell man if your lower than 8th seed then GTFO. No one wants a play in round for the mediocre you had 82 games thats it

Also the realignment is really stupid. It's like the MLB where they have a 6 team division and a 4 team division, that's completely fair and not a stupid idea at all

Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Definitely need to make Center Ice and the NHL Network free for at least this year.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Wingsfan2965*

The NHL's realignment is fine in every area except playoffs.

Dump that crap with the top four teams making it. You can easily find a division almost every year where five teams should make it, and another where only three should make it. One shouldn't be punished because they're in a better division.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:09 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post

3 on 3 is a gimmick but it is no where near the gimmick which is the shoot out. At least 3 on 3 is still "hockey". Ending a national hockey league game in a shoot out is like ending a NFL game by having quarterbacks throw football through a tire.
I don't get the comparison, a QB throwing footballs through a tire is only accounting for skill level on one side at a time, the shootout is individual vs individual representing their teams.

NeedleInTheHay is offline   Reply With Quote