HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2012 Spengler Cup (Champions: Team Canada)

Old
12-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
Kane with another one 7-3 Davos.

Killahpunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
Kane does it again fellas, 7-3.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 50
Aaaaaand 7-3

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Knighthammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOiled View Post
stream?
It's on TSN

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Killahpunk
Legend

Another goalie change, yikes!

Old
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Kane. Love this guy!!!

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
sOiled

vCash: 1486
Here's a stream I found in case anyone else doesn't have TSN:

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1607...lavat-ufa.html

sOiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:29 PM
InjuredChoker

Another goalie change, lol. Tarkki back.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Kane with back-to-back goals 7-3. Now the original goalie is back in for his second chance.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Le Golie

The mighty KHL. Yawn. So many excuses, so few reasons.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Knighthammer

Well... so much for that UFA comeback.

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:37 PM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

And now they start diving?

Old
12-29-2012, 02:40 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
The mighty KHL. Yawn. So many excuses, so few reasons.
Oh c'mon. It's as stupid as when Russians said it about the NHL after Hurricanes lost to SKA

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Yvanoe

PhilstrŲm 7-4

Yvanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:15 PM
WpgBoy84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanoe View Post
Well, the "inventor" of the "Kiwi-dance" is JoŽl Kwiatkowski (282 NHL games with Washington, Ottawa, Florida, Atlanta). The song was already sung before he signed in Fribourg. JoŽl Kwiatkowski just started to move on the song the first time, nothing to serious, but the crowd here in Fribourg loved it instantly ! Than they choreograph something with the team, and now, they are doing it every time we win and the crowd go nuts

The "Kiwi-dance" explanation from Kwiatkowski him self : http://www.srf.ch/player/tv/sport-cl...9-1eb1fcc4b945 (hope you can watch it outside Switzerland )
Thanks for the link!
I know I am probably in the minority here, but I wish we had stuff like this in the NHL.

WpgBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

Fail by fake Sykora. Gives the puck away while on a break away.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Yvanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgBoy84 View Post
Thanks for the link!
I know I am probably in the minority here, but I wish we had stuff like this in the NHL.
You welcome

7-5 Mironov, 7 min left !

Yvanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

Ufa making it a 2 goal game but they are running out of time. 7-5 Davos.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:34 PM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

Ok, that penalty was a joke

Old
12-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Coramoor

Great game, terrible defense but enjoyable.

So Canada vs Fribourg and Davos vs Vitkovice

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

schneider vs canada tomorrow. my god can't wait for that.

I wonder how fresh cory is, he has barely played this year.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:11 PM
dantehd
Rookie User

Hi there and greetings from Frankfurt, Germany.

Just to clear up some misunderstandings and small mistakes regarding the Cup and my favorite club, Adler Mannheim (Mannheim Eagles). Maybe this is a bit late, but the registration procedure took quite a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoSB View Post
Every team can. Vitkovice got Wellinger from Biel, Fribourg got some, Davos got many, Mannheim got Maurer (ZSC), Bonino (Germany or so) and Sbisa (Lugano/Anaheim).

Finally, seeing Duchene's hands!
Nick Bonino actually was joining Mannheim from HC Neumarkt, a 2nd division club in Italy.
Maurer came from ZSC, actually ZSC is a cooperation partner of Mannheim since June 2011 - like the Toronto Maple Leafs (since May 2009).

Dennis Seidenberg (Boston Bruins) joined the Adler Mannheim because of the lockout. Mannheim additionally is the youth club of Dennis Seidenberg and Dennis' younger brother Yannic is playing for Mannheim as well. The second "reunited brothers" are Marcel Goc (Florida Panthers) and his younger brother Nikolai who is playing for Mannheim since 2010. Jason Pominville is the third lockout-player in Mannheim, he came from the Buffalo Sabres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
that was a terrible goal lol

btw How can the WJC be more popular then the Spengler cup, when there are significantly better players in this tourney then the young stars one.
Having significantly better players is a phenomenon which is very special for this year's Spengler Cup and caused by the NHL Lockout. During the last lockout during the season 2004/05, 18 players from the NHL played the Spengler, this time 17 NHL-players reinforce the participating teams. 12 of them were playing for Team Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Because people know what to expect with the WJC and Canada always has a chance, where in the Spengler cup canada usually doesn't (better this year because of lockout)
Actually, Team Canada always is amongst the favourites to win the Spengler Cup and they did it 11 times. The team with the most Spengler Cup victories is HC Davos (Switzerland) with 15 cup-wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
I know some people like the chanting in Europe but damn it's so annoying, probably what makes soccer unwatchable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Some people don't like chanting, some do. I'm just saying when I'm watching on TV and you hear the same chant over and over and over again it gets redundant, I can tolerate it for a bit but for 60 minutes of hockey it does get annoying after a while. And I get that in soccer you chant to support your club but I watch plenty of soccer and usually during a lack of good chances and players are just passing it back and forth through the midfield and back to the defenders the crowd will chant because the play is kind of lacking, so fans decide to pump it up a bit and cheer for their club. I compare it a bit to the wave in baseball.
Sorry, but i really can't agree with you on that. I was one of the 600 Adler Mannheim fans. We travelled to Davos by train, by car, by plane etc. just to see our team winning and chanting for them. During the game, we had more than 20 different songs and chants - some of them developing spontaneously. Compared to the really poor repertoire in the NHL arenas where you mostly can hear chants for one player or something like "Let's go (insert team-name here)", there still is kind of a fan-chant-culture in the arenas over here. Chants actually can electrify the game on the ice - just as an example: The very special "fan-support" in Mannheim is one of the main reasons for Jason Pominville playing in Mannheim (have a look here!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
So I have never been a big Spengler Cup follower, so thi might be a dumb question, but is Canada the only team that has to have players just from their country and the rest of the teams can use whoever they like (as in who they get to play for them)?
Actually, the really can "use whoever they like", but they wouldn't. Team Canada is having a special role at the Spengler Cup because it's the only team consisting of canadian players from teams not playing at the cup. Just only because of the lockout, many NHL-players being over here were playing for Team Canada. All other teams are clubs/organisations playing with their regular rosters + some players they "borrow" from other clubs as a reinforcement e.g. when players from the regular rosters were injured etc. For Mannheim e.g., Ken Magowan (LW/C), Shawn Belle (D), Christoph Ullmann (C), Ronny Arendt (LW/RW) weren't able to play - therefore they added Sbisa, Bonino and Maurer to the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
That's a tradition. And since there were always many Canadiens playing in Switzerland it makes sense to get sort of a national team together then inviting some AHL-team.
Correct. But: In 1996, the Rochester Americans (AHL) played the Spengler Cup.

The last thing I would like to talk about is this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by officialmark7 View Post
Are these fans morons? This is worse than the Vuvuzelas...
As I mentioned before, those "morons" were 600 Fans of Adler Mannheim. 500 of them came to Davos by a special train, leaving Mannheim at 10 in the morning and coming back to Mannheim at 9 in the morning the other day. I'm one of those fans and I'm really annoyed about being called a moron - just because we have a different way of celebrating an ice hockey-match. For us, it's a part of supporting our teams to chant and sing and to whistle when the opponent has a powerplay. Well, I don't know if this really has an influence on the game, but quite often, NHL-players being the first time in Germany were really impressed about what is going on in our arenas. I for myself don't like the eat-and-talk atmosphere in the NHL-arenas which I was able to see several times being e.g. at some games of the Canadiens, Leafs, Sabres etc. When I came to my first hockey game in 1997, it was the energy, the "burning air" what made this game so special for me. And for me, the atmosphere, chants etc. are a really important part of the "full ice hockey experience".

Vuvuzelas even weren't a part of south african soccer fan culture before the World Cup, but a cheap trumpet, produced in china and then imported into south africa. Because they were cheap and noisy, the Vuvuzela then was used at soccer stadiums etc. The monotonous sound of thousands of Vuvuzelas which even doesn't change when there was a goal, a foul, a penalty etc. truly is annoying. But: Comparing this to our fan-culture and calling us "morons" is quite ignorant. If you would like to, come over here and I really would enjoy to show you what is going on during a normal DEL (1. German league) game and that our chants are definitely not redundant or monotonous. Of course, everyone has a different taste - but we are all ice hockey fans and therefore we should meet each other with respect.

dantehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:07 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
I am a little surprised Benjamin Conz was never drafted. I would of figured he would of been taken with a late round pick by someone.
Remember his WJC when they beat Russia. I thought that game alone would get him drafted.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:23 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Anyone know if there's a live steam of the Canada game at 9am?

TSN is showing a tape delay at 3PM, but I hate tape delay sports.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:24 AM
Grenats
Rookie User

Great post dantehd, thanks.

Grenats is offline   Reply With Quote