HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Staal to LA

Old
12-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
I think we really need an upgrade at 3C. While Boyle isn't a bad guy for the role, look at the recent Cup winners. Chicago had Bolland, Pittsburgh had J Staal, and LA had Stoll. That top six guy pushed down into a 3rd line role is a common theme here.

And even if Staal on our 2nd pairing is scary, Stralman in the top 4 and Bickel on the NHL roster should be scarier. RH depth is somewhat of a problem for us. MDZ is arguably a top pairing D too and puts up great numbers even when he spends most of the time with Bickel and Eminger.
If improving your 3C is such a big deal, you should just make a proposal to Pittsburgh.

Staal and Boyle for Sutter and Niskanen.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I want no part of the Penguins playing great shutdown defense, I don't care how much of an upgrade we get at 3C

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I want no part of the Penguins playing great shutdown defense, I don't care how much of an upgrade we get at 3C
Understandable, haha.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I see Marc Staal continues to get underrated.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
I think we really need an upgrade at 3C. While Boyle isn't a bad guy for the role, look at the recent Cup winners. Chicago had Bolland, Pittsburgh had J Staal, and LA had Stoll. That top six guy pushed down into a 3rd line role is a common theme here.
Yeah but a #1 shutdown D-man pushed to the 2nd pair ain't bad either.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:12 PM
bigbuffalo313

So to upgrade our 3c you make a trade based around our best dman(when healthy) instead of our 3c?

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
So to upgrade our 3c you make a trade based around our best dman(when healthy) instead of our 3c?
Is Staal really the best dman on the Rangers? The reason I ask is because there are three others on the blueline who averaged more ice time than Staal during the regular season. During the playoffs he garnered the 3rd most ice time among Rangers players. The top two during the regular season and playoffs were Girardi and McDonagh.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Is Staal really the best dman on the Rangers? The reason I ask is because there are three others on the blueline who averaged more ice time than Staal during the regular season. During the playoffs he garnered the 3rd most ice time among Rangers players. The top two during the regular season and playoffs were Girardi and McDonagh.
Some people think he's the best. Personally I don't share that opinion, but all 3 of them are really good. Hell, Del Zotto's the 4th best and he's really good.

I'd rather not break up a position we're stacked at.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
He didn't get ice time because he was coming fresh from a concussion.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:02 AM
Minor Boarding

Ain't going anywhere...

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:44 AM
bernmeister

no on both OP and revised P

Not saying the Kings guys are chopped liver.
But both established Staal + high upside Skjei are undervalued.

If you deal both those guys, IMO, you go all in, add another piece, and try for an elite/pre-elite guy: Shea Webber on D or a top F from Edmonton, for example.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Maybe Staal+ and Skjei to Edmonton for Eberle and Nick Schultz? Something around that?

Or LA could add Gagne and we're set.

And I disagree on Skjei having that high of an upside. He was the 28th pick in a weak draft.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

One of the worst proposals I've seen in a long time. OP shouldn't bother making more proposals if they're going to be this pathetic.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:05 AM
startainfection

if staal gets his game back he will be the best one on one d man in the league, staal - doughty would just be unfair

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:26 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
if staal gets his game back he will be the best one on one d man in the league, staal - doughty would just be unfair
I don't understand what you are trying to say?

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:47 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Maybe Staal+ and Skjei to Edmonton for Eberle and Nick Schultz? Something around that?

And I disagree on Skjei having that high of an upside. He was the 28th pick in a weak draft.
I couldn't see the oil giving up eberle for that. I doubt he gets traded. I think the oiler and rangers make good trade partners though (from the perspective of a fan of neither team)

The oil are probably still looking for a better Dman. If they were offered something like one of your top Dmen+ a good Goalie prospect + Skjei, you might be able to pry an elite prospect like Yakupov.

If you have the depth of D and Lunqvist signed longterm, it would be a good trade for both teams in my opinion

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:54 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
It seems you skipped the "when healthy" that I put in my post.

Any way for the newest proposal I say if we give up Staal, we get a dman in the NHL.

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:09 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Again...why would the Rangers want to move Staal - a huge, young, mobile, shutdown defenseman?

An overpaid 3rd line center and a lesser defenseman doesn't seem like much incentive to me. What am I missing?
Agreed, no incentive for the Rangers. LA would be mad not take this deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Staal is 25 and he's expendable already? I didn't know the children of the corn resided at MSG.
Hahahahah. Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I love Staal. Him and Brown have had some great battles.

That said, Greene is one of the top defensive defensemen in the league IMO. He's concussion free, isn't going to cost as much cap space as Staal, and is part of the leadership group of the team. LA says no.
Greene's up there and as fan of NYR who watches LA almost as much as he watches the Rangers, Staal when healthy is a clear cut better than Greene and is younger. Greene might be on a better contract and be the nastier defenseman, but Staal is FAR from a cream puff and is FAR MORE mobile and one on one much better defensively as well. Has more of an offensive upside too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I see Marc Staal continues to get underrated.
Agreed. It's apparent how many people watch so little of him.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:30 PM
KingCanadain1976

I think ranger fans are still thinking of Staal as a shiney new toy. I hate to break it to you hes got some dents in him. Untill hes proven there no long term effects of the concusion your not going to get shiney toy prices for him.

So imo Stoll who is amoungest the top 5 3rd line centers in the league. He has 2nd line center ability if needed. Hes still one of the best faceoff percentages in the league all this makes him worth the money hes paid.

Greene is a vetern with tons of locker room leadership I even doubt hes in play to be traded. Imo Suderi would be traded before greene. Ranger need to remember we aquired them for a at the time a better defenseman named Lubomir Visnovsky. Adding Martinez is way to much. I would consider a greene stoll for staal but not adding another roster piece at all.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
If improving your 3C is such a big deal, you should just make a proposal to Pittsburgh.

Staal and Boyle for Sutter and Niskanen.
Staal >> Sutter
Boyle >> Niskanen

How is this fair?

Old
12-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I'd rather have Greene.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
I think ranger fans are still thinking of Staal as a shiney new toy. I hate to break it to you hes got some dents in him. Untill hes proven there no long term effects of the concusion your not going to get shiney toy prices for him.

So imo Stoll who is amoungest the top 5 3rd line centers in the league. He has 2nd line center ability if needed. Hes still one of the best faceoff percentages in the league all this makes him worth the money hes paid.

Greene is a vetern with tons of locker room leadership I even doubt hes in play to be traded. Imo Suderi would be traded before greene. Ranger need to remember we aquired them for a at the time a better defenseman named Lubomir Visnovsky. Adding Martinez is way to much. I would consider a greene stoll for staal but not adding another roster piece at all.
I think we all forgot how digustingly bad Stoll has been for 1,5 years already. He was much better in the playoffs, but you see the world though pink glasses if you win. Stoll is not a top 3rd line center and certainly has not the ability to play 2nd line center. Hockey sense = zero with Jarret. Luckily he's a rock on faceoffs and works his ass off.

Visnovsky had just signed a $27M no trade contract. I was pretty sad when I heard about the trade. Lubo was a fan favorite but mostly because the return was not spectacular at the time. I'm not sure which Slovakian player wins the "I've played for the worst teams during my career" award. Visnovsky or Zigmund Palffy.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:20 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I think we all forgot how digustingly bad Stoll has been for 1,5 years already. He was much better in the playoffs, but you see the world though pink glasses if you win. Stoll is not a top 3rd line center and certainly has not the ability to play 2nd line center. Hockey sense = zero with Jarret. Luckily he's a rock on faceoffs and works his ass off.

Visnovsky had just signed a $27M no trade contract. I was pretty sad when I heard about the trade. Lubo was a fan favorite but mostly because the return was not spectacular at the time. I'm not sure which Slovakian player wins the "I've played for the worst teams during my career" award. Visnovsky or Zigmund Palffy.
That is ur opinion on how bad he is i cant disagree more. The whole team had offensive issues but even then he was playing good defensively. Stoll has played well and i would like to see ur better 3rd line centers. If he had second line mins with 2nd line players he would be alot better offenseively Who is ur top 5 centers that are so much better easy to just say it back it up with actual players.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:35 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure that is the exact combo everyone can agree on.
What I'm thinking is more along the lines of
Staal + Skjei +Boyle
for
Maracin + Gernat + Yakupov
more on that proposal later.

Quote:
Like my idea better. Besides, if they add Gagne, what would we be required to fork over as well?

Quote:
Free country, brother, feel free to agree to disagree.
One could say we were lucky he fell to us at 28 for one reason or another. I don't want to go on a limb and say he was the best skater in the draft, but he was clearly a top one. I understand he has decent size with a lanky frame and big time wheels. Granted, he's raw, needs to develop a shot, bulk up a bit, and learn the pro game, but so do most other Ds his age.

What he does have, which can't be taught beyond a certain level of improved technique, is natural speed,apparently in either direction. That's valuable. He's not as indispensable as Kreider valuable, but he's not to be casually thrown in a deal without a premium return either.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
That is ur opinion on how bad he is i cant disagree more. The whole team had offensive issues but even then he was playing good defensively. Stoll has played well and i would like to see ur better 3rd line centers. If he had second line mins with 2nd line players he would be alot better offenseively Who is ur top 5 centers that are so much better easy to just say it back it up with actual players.
Do you have an Asus Aspire 5253 notebook ?

To name a few....people like Kelly, Bolland, Staal before trade, Nielsen, Hanzal (if they play on the 3rd line), Sutter, etc

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote