HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 06:31 AM
sniugneP

vCash: 500
I wish we still have Clemons. He would play tomorrow.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:06 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I wish we still have Clemons. He would play tomorrow.
Yea like I said before, he will be good in this league. We really ****ed that one up.

Insane physical ability.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

We'll see with Clemons. He's got great size at 6'2" and 4.3 speed but he has very suspect hands and was dropping the ball all over the place during camp and preseason.

I think the Steelers really wanted him to win a WR job but he did nothing in camp or preseason to earn a spot and you really have to when you're a 7th rounder. You won't get a free pass like the guys drafted in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:23 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Yea like I said before, he will be good in this league. We really ****ed that one up.

Insane physical ability.
Not sure how good Clemons will be, but I definitely think he'll be an NFL player.

I'd make it as hard as possible for Mike Wallace to leave. I'd just keep non-exclusive franchising him. I don't care how much it costs.

In today's NFL, someone is going to pay for him in a trade. His skillset is too mesmerizing.

I still think re-signing Mendenhall is the best option for us, and for him.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Flat Stanley

I wonder if the Steelers will try to get Clemons back.

I agree that it would be smart to re-sign Mendenhall.

About Wallace, he's talented and valuable, but I don't see the point in making it hard for Wallace to leave, sure a team could trade for Wallace in hopes he would sign there, but if he's going to be a free agent in a year, who is going to give up anything valuable?

Old
12-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Clemons has no hands and I haven't seen anything from him that shouts NFL receiver.

Measurables are nice and all, but the guy just isn't that good. He blew his chance in the pre-season and was lapped by others on the practice squad. I just can't get myself to be upset about losing an 8th stringer.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Clemons has no hands and I haven't seen anything from him that shouts NFL receiver.

Measurables are nice and all, but the guy just isn't that good. He blew his chance in the pre-season and was lapped by others on the practice squad. I just can't get myself to be upset about losing an 8th stringer.
but he's from the Pittsburgh area

Seriously, he got picked up by the worst team in the league and can't get on the field there. He didn't put up great numbers in college either and didn't impress in training camp. He's shown nothing to this point that suggest he'll be anything more than marginal NFL'er, if that.

Also no way in hell does Mendenhall come back. Not going to get paid a lot and not guaranteed a starting spot, he'll find one or the other somewhere else.

Last edited by Sivek: 12-29-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 12:52 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I wonder if the Steelers will try to get Clemons back.

I agree that it would be smart to re-sign Mendenhall.

About Wallace, he's talented and valuable, but I don't see the point in making it hard for Wallace to leave, sure a team could trade for Wallace in hopes he would sign there, but if he's going to be a free agent in a year, who is going to give up anything valuable?
I only say that because I think there's a strong market for a guy like him, and there's not many like him.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:10 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
We can get a middle rounder for Wallace. Some team will drool over his speed. Worth a shot.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:41 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
We can get a middle rounder for Wallace. Some team will drool over his speed. Worth a shot.
Too bad Al Davis isn't around, we'd get 2 1st for him.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-29-2012, 02:20 PM
JTG

And with the draft going to be here before you know it, I'd like to share this with everyone who follows these prospects, and drools over them. I like going back and reading some stuff of past drafts, and I recently revisited the 2005 NFL draft.

This was the best draft by Mel Kiper...

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens: A
Receiver Mark Clayton is a perfect fit and defensive end Dan Cody is a nice pass rusher who could be effective off the edge. Tackle Adam Terry is a good athlete and will team with center Jason Brown to add some depth along the offensive line, and the Ravens got the best fullback in the draft in Justin Green. The struggles and inconsistency of quarterback Derek Anderson have been well-documented but he has physical skills and could develop into a decent passer.
One of the worst...

Quote:
San Diego Chargers: C
I like end/linebacker Shawne Merriman as an addition to the pass rush, but the rest of the players the Chargers selected were taken a little early. Defensive tackle Luis Castillo did not have a first-round grade and receiver Vincent Jackson was a reach in the second round as the Chargers were desperate to add a receiver. Darren Sproles should be a nice situational back who can also return kicks, but the remainder of the players San Diego took were more toward the undrafted free-agent category.
Forget that Merriman was a juicehead and now sucks because he isn't on chemicals, and that he was a monster his first 3 years in the league...the 3 guys picked after him would make that draft at least an A-

Old
12-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And with the draft going to be here before you know it, I'd like to share this with everyone who follows these prospects, and drools over them. I like going back and reading some stuff of past drafts, and I recently revisited the 2005 NFL draft.

This was the best draft by Mel Kiper...

One of the worst...

Forget that Merriman was a juicehead and now sucks because he isn't on chemicals, and that he was a monster his first 3 years in the league...the 3 guys picked after him would make that draft at least an A-
That's awesome. Where can I find more like this or do I have to be an ESPN insider or whatever.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:29 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sledge View Post
That's awesome. Where can I find more like this or do I have to be an ESPN insider or whatever.
I'm not sure. Probably. I'm an insider, so I'm not sure what you can see and what you can't see.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'm not sure. Probably. I'm an insider, so I'm not sure what you can see and what you can't see.
Ok thanks. I've been googling some things but haven't found a history of grades/comments.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sledge View Post
Ok thanks. I've been googling some things but haven't found a history of grades/comments.
It is not Kiper but you can find previous year's grades out there easily. Like SI's 2005 one here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....grades/1.html

Ironically here is a blog from this year grading Kiper's 2005 draft grades:

http://bottom-of-the-barrel.blogspot...nfl-draft.html

.... where he commented on the grading of the Steelers as a C+:

'Pittsburgh Steelers: C+

The Steelers had eight picks in this draft and drafted four guys who started a significant amount of games for them (Heath Miller, Chris Kemoeatu, Bryant McFadden and Trai Essex). That's a pretty good draft and even though there aren't any superstars in the group this draft deserves an "A-." Definitely not a "C." Maybe Mel's keyboard was just stuck when he wrote these draft grades and the only letter he could type was "C."'

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 12-29-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 03:05 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I think that's one thing Cowher doesn't get any credit for... developing younger talent. He held them to a high standard and it seemed almost all of our late picks would end up being promising. Under Tomlin, it just seems nobody fits and our drafts have been horrifyingly bad.

And I think everyone knows I"m not a huge fan of Colbert. So I might be biased in ripping him apart.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
It is not Kiper but you can find previous year's grades out there easily. Like SI's 2005 one here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....grades/1.html

Ironically here is a blog from this year grading Kiper's 2005 draft grades:

http://bottom-of-the-barrel.blogspot...nfl-draft.html

.... where he commented on the grading of the Steelers as a C+:

'Pittsburgh Steelers: C+

The Steelers had eight picks in this draft and drafted four guys who started a significant amount of games for them (Heath Miller, Chris Kemoeatu, Bryant McFadden and Trai Essex). That's a pretty good draft and even though there aren't any superstars in the group this draft deserves an "A-." Definitely not a "C." Maybe Mel's keyboard was just stuck when he wrote these draft grades and the only letter he could type was "C."'
I found the bottom of the barrel blog. They seem to have one for almost every year just ripping Kiper. I'm enjoying the read.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I think that's one thing Cowher doesn't get any credit for... developing younger talent. He held them to a high standard and it seemed almost all of our late picks would end up being promising. Under Tomlin, it just seems nobody fits and our drafts have been horrifyingly bad.

And I think everyone knows I"m not a huge fan of Colbert. So I might be biased in ripping him apart.
I am on the fence with Tomlin. Obviously we have had success under him overall and that is the ultimate bottom line. But he has made some real headscratching moves this year, and I am not talking monday morning QBing. Howmany times did they go for it on 4th down within the five yard line and fail this year. Or worse on their own side of the field. Or try that 56 yd. field goal with two minutes left last game? He is the riverboat gambler that always loses.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:29 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

What really pisses me off, Jaded, is that he didn't learn his lesson the first time w/ that missed FG. Good coaches learn from their mistakes. We missed it in the TN (i believe) game as well. Same result. Piss-poor decision. That's just bad coaching.

Especially because our defense was so dominant.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:10 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Regarding Kiper, in one ear and out the other. Dude just has an agenda. If you really want a great analysts look no further than Mike Mayock and the guy over at walterfootball.com

Old
12-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Shockmaster

The Steelers have been very perplexing with their drafting over the last few years. First, on defense, they have guys rot on the bench for their first three years because the system is "too complex." Meanwhile, rookies on other teams are making an impact right away. If you have to have a PhD. to play football, something is very wrong.

Then, on offense, the Steelers have drafted speedsters like Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Rainey which would indicate they want to be a quick strike, down field passing team. This year though, they were more focused on possession than scoring - which resulted in the Steelers hoping Ben would pull something out of his ass in the last two minutes. So I guess Coach Art wants them to be like the old Steelers for the first 58 minutes of the game, and only in the last 2 minutes they can use their speed?

I know the Steelers have a long resume of winning, but since Dan Rooney left for Ireland they've had their heads up their *****. Hopefully now that he's back Art will be forced to stand in a corner and things will get better.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:11 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Regarding Kiper, in one ear and out the other. Dude just has an agenda. If you really want a great analysts look no further than Mike Mayock and the guy over at walterfootball.com
Agreed with you on Mayock. I also love the guy on color commentary. He does a great job.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

you know how little I care about the game tomorrow? I was offered free tickets and turned them down.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:54 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

You'd have to pay me to see any live football game. Thousands of drunk yinzers, traffic and parking nightmares, seats a mile from the relatively small field...I'll take my couch and HDTV.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Pigs On The Wing

Steeler games aren't about football. They're about tailgating, staggering into the game late, screaming obscenities, and leaving early. I don't see the appeal.

Closed Thread