HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

San Antonio Rampage @ OKC Barons, Friday 12/28 6PM MDT

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2012, 01:01 PM
  #276
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
haha can you imagine the oiler 4 finishing in the top 4.....maybe even top 5 with Arcobello?

That would be sick.

I'm not sure Shultz will keep up though. Offensive D-man or not, first line forwards usually score more.
It's getting to the point where the idea that it's a "fluke" is losing merit. I can certainly see him slowing down a little, but even then a ppg the rest of the way is still reasonable.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:17 PM
  #277
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Just think of how things will be when RNH returns.....
Hopefully there will be an NHL season by then.

But hypothetically speaking, I'm not sure I break up the Hall - Arcobello - Eberle line if they can sustain a good pace. Spread the wealth a bit and see if you can spark someone else. I'd be tempted to put Harski - RNH - Paajarvi together, but getting Green - RNH - Pitlick to game speed would be a worthwhile venture.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:25 PM
  #278
lCensored
Registered User
 
lCensored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Hopefully there will be an NHL season by then.

But hypothetically speaking, I'm not sure I break up the Hall - Arcobello - Eberle line if they can sustain a good pace. Spread the wealth a bit and see if you can spark someone else. I'd be tempted to put Harski - RNH - Paajarvi together, but getting Green - RNH - Pitlick to game speed would be a worthwhile venture.
If there is no season by then I would try him with Pitlick. Do something to hopefully get the guy going whilr having a big presence on the line. I would be tempted to do something like you said as well but I wouldnt want to break up the top 2 lines at all right now.

lCensored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:33 PM
  #279
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Hopefully there will be an NHL season by then.

But hypothetically speaking, I'm not sure I break up the Hall - Arcobello - Eberle line if they can sustain a good pace. Spread the wealth a bit and see if you can spark someone else. I'd be tempted to put Harski - RNH - Paajarvi together, but getting Green - RNH - Pitlick to game speed would be a worthwhile venture.
I wouldn't break up the Nordic Line of Hartikainen, Paajarvi and Lander either.

Something like this, IMO would be the best, provided that the current top line of the two kids and Arcobello keeps rolling.

1 Hall - Arco - Eberle
2a Paarjarvi - Lander - Hartikainen
2b Green - RNH - Pitlick
4 Lizon - VV- House/Hamilton

That would give us three solid scoring lines that could be given roughly equal ice time through the game.

Furthermore, after Roy's performance last night, I would like him to get a string of three or four games here to see what he can do.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:38 PM
  #280
lCensored
Registered User
 
lCensored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
I wouldn't break up the Nordic Line of Hartikainen, Paajarvi and Lander either.

Something like this, IMO would be the best, provided that the current top line of the two kids and Arcobello keeps rolling.

1 Hall - Arco - Eberle
2a Paarjarvi - Lander - Hartikainen
2b Green - RNH - Pitlick
4 Lizon - VV- House/Hamilton

That would give us three solid scoring lines that could be given roughly equal ice time through the game.

Furthermore, after Roy's performance last night, I would like him to get a string of three or four games here to see what he can do.
This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking when I typed my post. On my phone though so I couldn't get the lines up.

Provided the top 2 lines are still doing well when RNH gets back those are the lines I would like to see. Or something close to that.

I agree on Roy too. I think he needs to get a few more starts so we can see more of him.

lCensored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:40 PM
  #281
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I thought Nelson was a terrible coach
Wait, what? On the basis of the Barons needing a shootout to beat the worst team in the AHL you're talking turkey?

Must be strange times.

The Barons are .500 against a club with a .400 winning percentage. 3 of the lowly Rampage 11 Wins have come against the Barons.

On this particular weekend only spectacular efforts from Hall are resulting in W's and we're needing every last bit of it.

I'm not sure how this is a strong argument for Nelson.

Nelson is the beneficiary of a team thats scored 100 goals this year and with no other AHL teams having this assemblage of scoring talent. Its hard to avoid winning some games when you can fill the net at times.


Last edited by Replacement: 12-29-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:03 PM
  #282
lCensored
Registered User
 
lCensored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,444
vCash: 500
Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

#EdmontonOilers re-assign Philippe Cornet & Ryan Martindale to @StocktonThunder from #OKCBarons http://******/gqrtA

lCensored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:06 PM
  #283
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
I wouldn't break up the Nordic Line of Hartikainen, Paajarvi and Lander either.
While the Nordic line has been a strong two-way line for us with an infectious cycle game, my thinking of breaking it up is part of the big picture. The Oilers greatest advantage will be a running start out of the gate should an NHL season be salvaged. If theres still a plan to play RNH - Eberle together and throw a LW on their line that isn't Taylor Hall, it's time that Harski and Paajarvi get some time with RNH.

Of course, it's easier to think big picture if the Barons weren't a mediocre team based on their place in the standings. Right now I'm sure Nelson's just trying to right the ship of yesteryear that looks more like a dingy in this seasons light.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:20 PM
  #284
jebs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
The AHL changed one of Eberles assists, gave it to Schultz...

Tied again, lol.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:39 PM
  #285
lCensored
Registered User
 
lCensored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,444
vCash: 500
Haha that's too funny but it makes sense. That would have been on the Harty goal. I remember it being Schultz but they gave it to Ebs for some reason. That was definitely Schultz's assist.

lCensored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:46 PM
  #286
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 55,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
The AHL changed one of Eberles assists, gave it to Schultz...

Tied again, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
Haha that's too funny but it makes sense. That would have been on the Harty goal. I remember it being Schultz but they gave it to Ebs for some reason. That was definitely Schultz's assist.
That's what I thought as well, but I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't push the point too hard. That means that after 30 games Schultz has had at least 1 point in 27 of them

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:51 PM
  #287
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 55,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Hopefully there will be an NHL season by then.

But hypothetically speaking, I'm not sure I break up the Hall - Arcobello - Eberle line if they can sustain a good pace. Spread the wealth a bit and see if you can spark someone else. I'd be tempted to put Harski - RNH - Paajarvi together, but getting Green - RNH - Pitlick to game speed would be a worthwhile venture.
I break that line up because Arco will not be our #1C in Edmonton and it is very doubtful that he'd be our #2 center either. IMO you drop Arco down to the 3rd line and roll with this:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen
Green-Arcobello-Pitlick
Byers-Vande Velde-House
Hamilton, Lizon

At that point we could alternate Hamilton in and out of the lineup of send him down to Stockton for a few games. If we roll with Lizon in most games then we could even send both Hamilton and Pitlick down to try and get their games going. In that case I'd bump House to the 3rd line and naturally Lizon plays on the 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

#EdmontonOilers re-assign Philippe Cornet & Ryan Martindale to @StocktonThunder from #OKCBarons http://******/gqrtA
Good to see that as both haven't been playing much at all of late.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:36 PM
  #288
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
While the Nordic line has been a strong two-way line for us with an infectious cycle game, my thinking of breaking it up is part of the big picture. The Oilers greatest advantage will be a running start out of the gate should an NHL season be salvaged. If theres still a plan to play RNH - Eberle together and throw a LW on their line that isn't Taylor Hall, it's time that Harski and Paajarvi get some time with RNH.

Of course, it's easier to think big picture if the Barons weren't a mediocre team based on their place in the standings. Right now I'm sure Nelson's just trying to right the ship of yesteryear that looks more like a dingy in this seasons light.
I agree, but I don't think the Oilers will make the playoffs even in a shortened, ~48 game season. Plus, the old guard of Hemsky and Smyth likely will get the nod for a top six role over anyone on the Nordic Line. Grooming them together as a unit is a far better recipe for success, IMO, since what the Harti-Lander-MPS combo has brought over the last stretch of games at the AHL level for the Barons is exactly what the Oilers need as a third line on the big club.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
  #289
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,626
vCash: 50
In a 48 game season one hot streak vs another teams cold stretch could be the difference between making it or not. I think a shorter season would definitely favour the youngish Oilers squad. You'd have to think they'd be quick out of the gate with their likely over-abundance of youthful exuberance... and the usual mid-season stretch of putrid hockey might not set in (as much).

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:11 PM
  #290
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,502
vCash: 500
Smyth will be in the Oilers top 6 to start the season over either Paajarvi or Harti. I actually doubt either of them would be with the Oilers to start if we have a NHL season.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:34 PM
  #291
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,626
vCash: 50
No doubt they'll have the usual plague of injury bugs hit them just as a possible shortened season is about to begin... so who knows what a potential opening night lineup will look like... but there's a very good chance there will be callups on it from OKC. I think Harti is the most obvious addition as he's exactly the type of player needed on the Oilers.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.