HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
To me, Rielly looked to have his confidence shaken last game, making a few unforced errors in his own end - he looked nervous as hell at times.

I'm not sure what role he's to play going forward. It's kind of up to him to settle down.
I disagree completely. Actually he had an extra jump on his first shift out there. I could tell right away he would be in for a good night. And actually it was the most physical game I've ever seen out Rielly although I haven't seen him all that much. It must have been because of his parents, but he was anything but nervous.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Gutchecktime

vCash: 500
Quote:
To me, Rielly looked to have his confidence shaken last game, making a few unforced errors in his own end - he looked nervous as hell at times.

I'm not sure what role he's to play going forward. It's kind of up to him to settle down.
Last game? The Slovakia game?

To me, he looked more confident last game than any game so far. In the second period, he seemed to be playing with authority and I didn't noticed any of these "unforced errors".

Old
12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Haha, I do dig IATL's no nonsense style myself.

I'd like to see a Rielly-Reinhart pairing. Rielly can play his game knowing that Big Griff has got his back. Activating a d-man with the dynamic offensive skills of Rielly against the USA could really help them.
Once you accept the fact that he lacks the social niceties, you appreciate his honesty and knowledge of hockey.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
Well, "Impressed" might have been the wrong word. Better potential maybe? I haven't been able to watch them both till this tournament. So I've seen a bit of Nathan, and a little of Seth. Nathan's a good skater, but he looks tiny and I haven't noticed him at all which for a top prospect seems odd.

Turnovers, yes ... but I see more potential in Seth right now. Nice shot, big body, also a decent skater, but its so hard to get a good read on young D as well.
Mooseheads fan here, you can treat this as a homer post if you like. MacKinnon's been underused by Team Canada. I haven't seen anyofficial TOI stats from the tournament, but in the prelims he got 6:32 in the shootout win, and I'd argue he got about the same amount against Germany. He's been thrown into a 4th line grinder role so it's no wonder he isn't very noticeable

On the other hand, in the third period of the Slovakia game the line of Drouin - MacKinnon - Rattie cycled the puck at will against the Slovaks and Mac had a great dangle to get a scoring opportunity. He looked strong on the boards against the Slovaks and hopefully Spott will recognize this and give that line another chance.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:56 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Rattie-RNH-Scheifele
Jenner-Strome-Ritchie
Drouin-McNeil-MacKinnon
Camara-Danault-(Jenner)

Try that out when Jenner returns-

Old
12-29-2012, 01:58 PM
CrazyJoeDavola

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Rattie-RNH-Scheifele
Jenner-Strome-Ritchie
Drouin-McNeil-MacKinnon
Camara-Danault-(Jenner)

Where does Huby fit in here?

Old
12-29-2012, 01:59 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Rattie-RNH-Scheifele
Jenner-Strome-Ritchie
Drouin-McNeil-MacKinnon
Camara-Danault-(Jenner)

and we're just going to scratch Huberdeau?

Old
12-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDavola View Post
Where does Huby fit in here?
No Lipon either lol, he and Jenner are both back at the same time.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:43 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Can't decide which core setup I like better:

Top6 format

??? - RNH - Scheifele
Huberdeau - Strome - ???
???-Jenner-Ritchie
Camara-Danault-McNeil
Lipon

???: Rattie, Drouin and MacKinnon depending on who's clicking or hot

or

Top9 format

Drouin - RNH - MacKinnon
Huberdeau - Strome - Ritchie/Rattie
Camara/Jenner - Scheifele - Rattie/Ritchie
Jenner/Camara - Danault - McNeil
Lipon

Old
12-29-2012, 03:36 PM
JackSlater

This is what I hope to see against Russia.

Huberdeau Nugent-Hopkins Scheifele
Drouin Strome MacKinnon
Lipon Jenner Rattie
Camara Danault Ritchie
McNeill

Harrington Hamilton
Rielly Ouellet
Reinhart Wotherspoon
Murphy

The top line is not changing. The talent is there for this line to dominate anyone, and they have done enough to satisfy thus far.

The second line puts MacKinnon and Drouin together. Ritchie is ineffective thus far, so I couldn't care less about taking him from Strome. If MacKinnon doesn't work on the wing, Rattie takes his place and MacKinnon reverts to the way he has been used thus far.

Third line is good defensively and Rattie makes them quite dangerous in the offensive zone. Lipon has been crappy so far, but I like him playing on this line as a potential playmaker for Rattie.

Fourth line has Danault dominating on defence with Camara providing physicality (seems like overkill if he's with Jenner) and Ritchie doing whatever it is he does.

McNeill spends his time on the reserve spot waiting for some PK time and wondering how he got on the team.

First pairing allows Hamilton to be in the ideal situation should he find his complete game. Harrington ensures that it will at least be a good pairing defensively.

Rielly gets to terrorize from this pairing, while Ouellet hopefully continues to be great at everything that is asked of him.

Reinhart and Wotherspoon play nice, solid defence and are competent offensively.

Murphy waits for PP time and reflects on his decision making both offensively and defensively. Wonders why he is hated so very much on the internet.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post

Drouin Strome MacKinnon
Lipon Jenner Rattie
Camara Danault Ritchie
McNeill

Harrington Hamilton
Rielly Ouellet
Reinhart Wotherspoon
Murphy

The top line is not changing. The talent is there for this line to dominate anyone, and they have done enough to satisfy thus far.

The second line puts MacKinnon and Drouin together. Ritchie is ineffective thus far, so I couldn't care less about taking him from Strome. If MacKinnon doesn't work on the wing, Rattie takes his place and MacKinnon reverts to the way he has been used thus far.

Third line is good defensively and Rattie makes them quite dangerous in the offensive zone. Lipon has been crappy so far, but I like him playing on this line as a potential playmaker for Rattie.

Fourth line has Danault dominating on defence with Camara providing physicality (seems like overkill if he's with Jenner) and Ritchie doing whatever it is he does.

McNeill spends his time on the reserve spot waiting for some PK time and wondering how he got on the team.

First pairing allows Hamilton to be in the ideal situation should he find his complete game. Harrington ensures that it will at least be a good pairing defensively.

Rielly gets to terrorize from this pairing, while Ouellet hopefully continues to be great at everything that is asked of him.

Reinhart and Wotherspoon play nice, solid defence and are competent offensively.

Murphy waits for PP time and reflects on his decision making both offensively and defensively. Wonders why he is hated so very much on the internet.
One of the few instances where I say this on these boards, but I agree with all of this.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I still think they need MacKinnon patrolling the centre of the ice. He's a good compliment to lots of different types of linemates on the wing, but he's wasted running only 1/3rd of the ice, imo.

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele
Drouin - Strome - McNeill(/Rattie)
Camara - MacKinnon - Rattie(/McNeill)
Jenner - Danault - Ritchie/Lipon

Harrington - Ouellet
Rielly - Hamilton
Wotherspoon - Reinhart
Murphy

Old
12-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

MacKinnon should play with Drouin on a constant basis. Shake things up a bit:

PP

Rattie-RNH-Scheifele
Huberdeau-MacKinnon-Drouin
Than make Drouin play double minutes with the Strome line.

MacKinnon is gonna tear up this tournament if given the chance.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:45 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:

Drouin Strome MacKinnon
Lipon Jenner Rattie
Camara Danault Ritchie
McNeill

Harrington Hamilton
Rielly Ouellet
Reinhart Wotherspoon
Murphy

I guarantee the Lipon will be the 13th forward...After taking the suspension....

Spott will not put MacKinnon + Drouin together...he would have done it against far weaker teams (he did it once 1 think only)

Rattie will see more minutes....

Drouin Strome Ritchie/Rattie
Mackinnon Jenner Rattie/Ritchie
Camara Danault McNeill
Lipon

Old
12-29-2012, 05:17 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I guarantee the Lipon will be the 13th forward...After taking the suspension....

Spott will not put MacKinnon + Drouin together...he would have done it against far weaker teams (he did it once 1 think only)

Rattie will see more minutes....

Drouin Strome Ritchie/Rattie
Mackinnon Jenner Rattie/Ritchie
Camara Danault McNeill
Lipon
I was talking about what I would like to see, not what I actually expect. Lipon himself said that he expects to be the 13th forward and that Spott told him that he finds it hard to trust him.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:49 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
This is what I hope to see against Russia...
A lot of knowledgeable hockey fans but no one his stuff like JS.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:

He is a nervous kid, being a recovering stutterer.

He played a great game this morning though, and to me he will improve each and every game as he becomes more comfortable and relaxed.

No doubt in my mind it should be him and Murphy on 1st pairing powerplay.

No offence Hamilton but GTFO

Old
12-29-2012, 06:55 PM
TieClark

Quote:

Against Slovakia? He was Canada's best player easily... I'm not sure what game you were watching

Old
12-29-2012, 07:36 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
What I want to see when Jenner returns:

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifle
Camara - Strome - Ritchie
Drouin - Mackinnon - Rattie
Danault -Jenner - McNeil
Lipon

Lipon

Old
12-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Against Slovakia? He was Canada's best player easily... I'm not sure what game you were watching
*arguably

He was good, but he definitely wasnt head and shoulders above schiefele, strome, ouellet, RNH.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:45 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
*arguably

He was good, but he definitely wasnt head and shoulders above schiefele, strome, ouellet, RNH.
Easily in my eyes. Ouellet and Reilly stood out so I could see Ouellet argued too. Neither of the other 2 you mentioned outperformed those 2.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:48 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

interview with team canada chefs about cooking for the players:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=world_jrs/la...35029/clip/423

ryan murphy takes us on a tour of the hotel the players are staying at:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=world_jrs/la...34840/clip/448

Old
12-31-2012, 11:23 AM
JackSlater

I liked the lines from the Russian game today, and the changes to the PP. Canada can roll with those and if Subban plays well I don't see Canada being outplayed. I'm hopeful that Huberdeau and Strome still have a little something from last year, because if that second line reaches its potential the team will be ridiculously dangerous.

Jenner's return also made the third line dominant. He was better than I could have expected.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:08 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Really wanna know why Spott insists on playing Rielly exclusively with Murphy. Why not split the two up so one can go wild while a defensive dman paired with them can stay back. The pairing hasn't cost any goals yet, but I'm sure it's a matter of time.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:15 PM
jimmycarter

this is a really good team.

Closed Thread