HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Is Drouin now a lock for the top 10?

Old
12-25-2012, 01:03 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Going into past drafts, Fowler was considered a "lock" to go top-5, and Forsberg a "lock" to go top-10. No one is truly a lock, but it's highly highly likely he will be a top 10 pick.
Agreed. I always get a chuckle out of posters using the term "lock" all the time. Two years ago Couturier was a "lock" by everyone to go top 3 overall. I was slammed for saying I would take Landeskog 1st overall instead.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...178&highlight=

It's sillyness really the whole "lock" term.

Last edited by DJB: 12-25-2012 at 01:11 PM.
DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:37 AM
thegutter

vCash: 271
played well against slovakia tonight, does not look out of place as a 17 year old at all.

thegutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:04 PM
shello
@WShello9

vCash: 500
I really don't like saying players are locks because we never really know what can happen come draft day, but if he keeps it up top 10 is most likely a lock.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:42 PM
hockeywhiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienKid25 View Post
Regardless of how he fairs at the WJC and if he is mediocre the rest of the way for the Mooseheads....is he still a top 10 pick?

I think if he gets injuried tomorrow, he still goes top 10, but what if his play levels off?

Top 3 player now.

hockeywhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:52 PM
capitalsrock

You can't compare Drouin to Grigorenko because of the russian factor, which I think is stupid, but a better comparison would be Forsberg who just managed to sneak out of the top 10 although it seemed he was going top 5.

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Minister of Offence

It's getting to the point now you might even see the odd scout put him ahead of McKinnon.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:49 PM
philmacrackin

Red Line Report did that over a month ago...and a lot of people mocked them. Looks like they were ahead of the curve.

philmacrackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:25 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
When was Drouin not a lock OP? Ever witness his shot?

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmacrackin View Post
Red Line Report did that over a month ago...and a lot of people mocked them. Looks like they were ahead of the curve.
Redline Report doesn't mind the odd sensational mark in their lists but I don't think they do it just to grab attention.

This isn't a shot at McKinnon either, these tournaments must be taken with a grain of salt, but what's becoming obvious is Drouin's the real deal and a stud prospect.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:45 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 8
My sources say yes.

And by sources I mean my magic 8 ball.

If Drouin has a good wjc, he will go a long way to solidifying a top ten ranking. All the rankings I have seen have him there, so it will him playing himself out of it otherwise.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:37 PM
WarriorofTime

He's been better than MacKinnon at the WJC so far.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:59 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
I'd bet on him going top 5. He's just too damn good. Definitely a lock for top ten if there ever was one.

The reason why I personally think he'll go top 3 is because he's looking great at the WJC's, and Halifax is a safe bet to go far into the playoffs; maybe even win the Memorial Cup. IMO it's a safe bet that he's going to get a lot of post-season exposure. Not to mention, players usually do better after returning from the WJC so his gawdy numbers may increase still.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:00 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmacrackin View Post
No, most services caught onto Drouin fairly quickly.
People mocked Red Line because they love dropping the top prospect frequently to get views, which is exactly what they've done with MacKinnon so far.

It's the same trash every year with them.
To paraphrase some of their gems: "Filatov quickly closing in on once untouchable Stamkos", "Tavares is like Daigle with Lindros' parents; if he's not scoring he's useless" or even going way back, "Andrei Kostitsyn is the best player in this draft [2003], has great character and work ethic, just ignore the back problems and epilepsy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
He's been better than MacKinnon at the WJC so far.
Well yes, that's because Drouin is getting a regular shift and MacKinnon is in the single digits, in terms of shifts and minutes played.
Hopefully being short a few forwards will force Spott to finally use him regularly.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:45 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well yes, that's because Drouin is getting a regular shift and MacKinnon is in the single digits, in terms of shifts and minutes played.
Hopefully being short a few forwards will force Spott to finally use him regularly.
Because Drouin earned it. Even when they were playing together during the line juggling, Drouin was clearly driving the play

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:23 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Because Drouin earned it. Even when they were playing together during the line juggling, Drouin was clearly driving the play
More likely its because Drouin plays left wing where Canada is very thin and MacKinnon plays center behind RNH, Strome, Jenner and is also a right handed shot. I'd love to see Mac get some more ice to get the legs going.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:53 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
More likely its because Drouin plays left wing where Canada is very thin and MacKinnon plays center behind RNH, Strome, Jenner and is also a right handed shot. I'd love to see Mac get some more ice to get the legs going.
You can use whatever excuse you want, but the fact is, Drouin is outplaying MacKinnon

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
You can use whatever excuse you want, but the fact is, Drouin is outplaying MacKinnon
It wouldn't be crazy to suggest that drouin is the better junior player. Hell a scout was quoted saying drouin is the best player in the chl.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:34 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
And this is exactly the kind of narrow minded thinking that can lead to mistakes come draft day. Context is important.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I wouldn't agree with that at all; mostly because of the difference in roles each has been asked to fill so far. Spott only sees a role for Drouin in the top 6 scoring winger role, and is "forced" to give him the ice time and opportunities that goes along with that. More visible doesn't mean "outplaying". MacKinnon, by comparison, hasn't been given a chance to impress yet (and has basically been shifted around between centre and winger to fill in gaps), but just wait until Canada starts facing the big boys in games that matter more.

But back to the topic at hand, I don't see either guy dropping below #5 at the draft, let alone as low as 10th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It wouldn't be crazy to suggest that drouin is the better junior player. Hell a scout was quoted saying drouin is the best player in the chl.
Almost everyone watching them play every day here in Halifax would suggest that it is, in fact, crazy to suggest that Drouin is the better junior player, although I'm sure Drouin could edge him at most of the all-star weekend marquee skills competitions (no defensive drills there, nor evaluation of ability to control play in all three zones on the ice).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:03 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Quote:
I disagree.

Put RnH in Mackinnons spot

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
I disagree.

Put RnH in Mackinnons spot
Mackinnon's playing with Ty Rattie and Anthony Camara and not producing as a center.

Drouin is playing with Ryan Strome and Ritchie as a winger and is producing with style.

This thread should be a question of whether or not Drouin going top five, perhaps three in my opinion.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Top 5. As well chance of top 3. Simply elite vision skills plamakong and scoring touch. Only knock would be his size and strenght talent alone he is a more incive and speedy Tanguay without being afraid of shooting. Lol.

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:56 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Mackinnon's playing with Ty Rattie and Anthony Camara and not producing as a center.

Drouin is playing with Ryan Strome and Ritchie as a winger and is producing with style.

This thread should be a question of whether or not Drouin going top five, perhaps three in my opinion.
Drouin has 3 pts playing around 15 minutes/game with PP time. MacKinnon plays 6-8 minutes/game with no special teams and has 1 pt. Exaggerating a bit?

I agree though, both are top 5 talents.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Smallz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post

I've watched both of Canada's games and maybe it was me being tired but I couldn't tell you that Mac was even in Ufa

Comparing their WJ play thus far is like comparing apples and oranges, one guy is getting opportunities and the other simply isn't

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:35 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I would say lock for the top 5... Likely top 3

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote