HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
I doubt Clarkson leaves. I'd be shocked actually. Zajac on the other hand I can totally see leave unfortunately.
Me too. I think Clarkson wants to stay, but if he hits the market, and the crazy Burke offers him more than he's worth, and he asks us to match then that's gonna suck.

Zajac I'm not sure. I can see him leaving too. I have no reason to believe he will stay or leave really. I just have a bad feeling.

Patty will stay as long as he's wanted, but his agent is that dick Allan Walsh who was just running his fingers on twitter today about the lockout. Do we have to massively overpay him at 37 years old?

Old
12-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
Guys who were undrafted UFAs tend to be more "loyal" to the teams that gave them a shot.
Andy Greene definitely proved he wanted to stay, and said he took a discount to stay with the Devils. That was awesome of him, and he was an undrafted player. Aside from the fact he's awesome I would never wanna trade him just because of that. That was a nice gesture him staying. Especially after the teams worst season in 20 years, and all the uncertainty with not knowing who would be coach or what direction the team would move in at the time he re signed.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Why would he take the deal? It's more proof positive the NHL will move the closer the deadline gets.

Even merely negotiating off this deal would at least be a show of good faith but I'm just expecting more games from the PA and more false indignance from the union.
Because we are getting close to the date when we must have a deal or the season is lost. That's why he should take the deal. I am not confident he will though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalvalchuk17 View Post
They won't take the deal. I think the nhl knows that. But this offer is an ice breaker. And IMO it will lead to a deal.
I've heard that one before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
Oh and if they keep Gionta, Kovalchuk most likely never would have made it into a Devils uniform. Letting Gionta walk opened up cap flexibility allowing the move to be made.
And it also allowed us to showcase Bergfors and get Waddell interested in him. If Gionta was around that never would have happened.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
And it also allowed us to showcase Bergfors and get Waddell interested in him. If Gionta was around that never would have happened.
That's why I'm not completely bummed about losing him. If we kept him, and especially at $5 million then no Kovy. He would look great here now, but not at $5 million with a shrinking cap. If he only had one more year left on that contract I would love to take him on. It wouldn't be no problem if his contract was up this Summer to have him at that. As long as we didn't need to give up Josefson, Henrique, or any forward, or Larsson.

The worst thing about losing Gionta was he wanted to stay. Like I said I know this for a fact, and someone on here who knows him has also confirmed this. For cheaper than the $5 million too. We wasted our time with guys like Parise who knew they weren't gonna stay, and you always love guys who wanna be there. If not for that horrible Rolston contract which I knew was a bad idea from July 1st 2008 we probably could have kept him. What's done is done, and we've had a Cup run without him though.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2012/...f-the-lockout/

The one big difference is that this is the end of the road. It`s get it done or cancel the rest of the season. The final countdown.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:06 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post

The one big difference is that this is the end of the road. It`s get it done or cancel the rest of the season. The final countdown.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Techno Devil

Quote:
I dont know if I agree with this one. Gio only got like 5 million. There are also about 20 other moving pieces in that parallel that could have changed in order to get kovy or clear space. Barring NTCs and NMCs gio could even have been a part of that trade. The fact that we didn't retain Parise doesnt mean we are going to go out and get a player for the same calibur or price any time soon.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Devil View Post
I dont know if I agree with this one. Gio only got like 5 million. There are also about 20 other moving pieces in that parallel that could have changed in order to get kovy or clear space. Barring NTCs and NMCs gio could even have been a part of that trade. The fact that we didn't retain Parise doesnt mean we are going to go out and get a player for the same calibur or price any time soon.
I think if we hadn't signed Rolston the money, and roster space would have been there. Especially if Gio had only wanted $3.5 million to stay. I never liked the Rolston deal, and the most impressive stretch I saw with him during his second tenure was the second half of 10/11. Hate to single him out though. That Pandolfo contract signed in 08 was a really bad one for that time in his career. He fell off a cliff after that.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
The worst thing about losing Gionta was he wanted to stay. Like I said I know this for a fact, and someone on here who knows him has also confirmed this. For cheaper than the $5 million too. We wasted our time with guys like Parise who knew they weren't gonna stay, and you always love guys who wanna be there. If not for that horrible Rolston contract which I knew was a bad idea from July 1st 2008 we probably could have kept him. What's done is done, and we've had a Cup run without him though.
Ya, it's that Rolston contract that screwed us over for a long time, but oh well. Bygones now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Devil View Post
The centrepiece of the deal was Bergfors. We showcased him during the first half of that season. Gionta was allowed to walk in part because Lou was confident that Bergfors could replace him.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:36 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post

They sort of 'have' to be ready whether there's real reason for optimism or not since it's going to be a hit the ground running as fast as possible IF they get a season in. Plus the league can't control what Fehr wants to do...he's going to worry me until they finally agree to a deal or at the very least concede a 50-50 HRR.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Czech Trio
from jersey

If Zajac leaves I wouldn't mind giving Jason Weimer another shot to fill as our #2 center.

joking

Its a contionus cycle in NJ...draft well, those good players leave, replaced with garbage, Lou makes amazing transaction, all is good, repeat

Im going crazy...END THE LOCKOUT! :0

Old
12-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Ilya Bryzgalov has left his KHL team, CSKA Moscow, because he says the lockout is ending.

The chance of the lockout ending is humongous big, you heard it here first folks.

Such a shame he`s in a different dimension.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:02 PM
kiwidevil

Or did he actually get cut ?

Old
12-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Bryz is such a strange guy. He has no filter at all.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:31 PM
davebenj

Are we sure Bryz is human?

Old
12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Nat

Old
12-30-2012, 03:05 PM
goalvalchuk17

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
If and when a new CBA is signed, word on the street is the NHL will make Centre Ice free for the season.
There's also talk of adding wild card teams for playoffs so more teams get a shot at the Cup.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalvalchuk17 View Post
If and when a new CBA is signed, word on the street is the NHL will make Centre Ice free for the season.
There's also talk of adding wild card teams for playoffs so more teams get a shot at the Cup.
Like 1st part

Absolutely hate the 2nd ,, There are enough teams as is in playoffs

Old
12-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

No, **** no. Wild card teams? Get the **** out of here. 16 wins, no more, no less.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
No, **** no. Wild card teams? Get the **** out of here. 16 wins, no more, no less.
This

Old
12-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Nick0930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post

I don't know what that says, but it's still hilarious.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

ok so when is the season gonna start? I need the Devils.........

Old
12-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Nick0930

Next year.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:51 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Like 1st part

Absolutely hate the 2nd ,, There are enough teams as is in playoffs
Agreed, but I could see the NHL taking a page from baseball last year/the NCAA tournament in recent years and having two one-game playoffs to determine the #8 seed. You do have the time between the end of the season and the start of the 16-team playoffs to have 'play-in' games.

I do like the synochrity of the 16-team, 16-win tournament, but let's be honest it's only been 16 wins for like twenty years of the NHL's history. There's a reason Wing fans throw octipii on the ice, it was 8 wins for many years.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:03 PM
CerebralGenesis

Dear god no more playoff teams please.

Imagine a team like the Kings losing their playoff games Atlanta Braves style. Do.Not.WAnt

Closed Thread