HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Yakupov ready to keep " His Cool" against "Dirty" Canadians

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2012, 04:35 PM
  #601
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 63,386
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
If you step on the ice, you accept that you may be injured by a clean hit. This is as much a part of the game as the puck to a Canadian player.

No player accepts that he may lose because of cheating. It goes against everything a Canadian player is taught from birth. That is why you see the outrage about it here.

You may choose to disagree with it, and that is your right. But just so you know, that is how we are taught to look at this game, culturally speaking. Some people in Canada have different opinions, but this is the predominant viewpoint with our culture, and explains the anger you see when dives take place...even when our own players do it.

I also understand the viewpoint that diving and faking injury is acceptable if it produces a victory, and I understand those that feel this way have the right to do so. I disagree, but I "get it".
I don't see a difference between diving to win a game, and taking PED's to win a game. Both are methods of cheating and are disgraceful acts.

__________________
The Canucks will continue to suck until the day Benning, Weisbrod, Linden, and Desjardins are all fired.
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:35 PM
  #602
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
I really don't think that was a very serious roughing penalty in the scheme of things.
It wasn't.

If that injures a person, then that person has no right being on any sheet of ice in anything above pre-novice or perhaps curling.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:37 PM
  #603
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I don't see a difference between diving to win a game, and taking PED's to win a game. Both are methods of cheating and are disgraceful acts.
I would agree with you.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:37 PM
  #604
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless
 
MrCraigAnderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,751
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I don't see a difference between diving to win a game, and taking PED's to win a game. Both are methods of cheating and are disgraceful acts.
Do you see a difference between a hook and PED's?

MrCraigAnderson is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:38 PM
  #605
canuck2010
Registered User
 
canuck2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Diving is a far lighter crime than injuring somebody.
I guess that's why I find professional soccer such a joke. I think the game is fantastic but I just can't get past the diving, faking and rolling around on the grass like you've been pole axed. It's disgusting.

canuck2010 is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:41 PM
  #606
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
If you step on the ice, you accept that you may be injured by a clean hit. This is as much a part of the game as the puck to a Canadian player.

No player accepts that he may lose because of cheating. It goes against everything a Canadian player is taught from birth. That is why you see the outrage about it here.

You may choose to disagree with it, and that is your right. But just so you know, that is how we are taught to look at this game, culturally speaking. Some people in Canada have different opinions, but this is the predominant viewpoint with our culture, and explains the anger you see when dives take place...even when our own players do it.

I also understand the viewpoint that diving and faking injury is acceptable if it produces a victory, and I understand those that feel this way have the right to do so. I disagree, but I "get it".
Just curious, if you feel so strongly about the issue then why do you have one of the worst divers and fakers in the game in your avatar?

BobDobolina is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:43 PM
  #607
MISC*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Just curious, if you feel so strongly about the issue then why do you have one of the worst divers and fakers in the game in your avatar?

MISC* is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:43 PM
  #608
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
Do you see a difference between a hook and PED's?
I agreed, so I would like to answer.

While I know a hook is an illegal act on the ice, there are certain acts that are understandably "a part of the game" that take place in the heat of the moment, and some that are not. Some acts strike at the core of what should be considered the finest aspects of the game, and that is honour amongst men (or women).

Just like not all crimes are viewed with the same amount of disrespect (please don't make me name them), one cannot cover all illegal acts on the ice or off the ice with the same blanket, either. Some are more despicable than others.

Hopefully, a reasonable person can see the difference.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:48 PM
  #609
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
I guess that's why I find professional soccer such a joke. I think the game is fantastic but I just can't get past the diving, faking and rolling around on the grass like you've been pole axed. It's disgusting.
Precisely the reason I stopped watching the last World Cup. I was actually starting to get into the sport a bit, and then the diving and rolling around started. The worst thing is, the officials almost always fell for it. I turned the channel and watched sport fishing or something.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:48 PM
  #610
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
I guess that's why I find professional soccer such a joke. I think the game is fantastic but I just can't get past the diving, faking and rolling around on the grass like you've been pole axed. It's disgusting.
I don't like that part of soc... I meant "futbol," either. But it's much better than giving an injury to a fellow player.

Basically, these are two extremes and both mar these two sports. However, I still view diving as a lighter crime, simply because you are not hurting a fellow athlete. Besides, I haven't heard of anybody in soccer or hockey bragging about their diving, but many Canadian players and fans are happy when they injure opposing players, saying "it's his own fault, should have kept his head up" or, in case of the Clarke-Kharlamov disgrace, "he did what he had to do for his team to win."

Comprende?

Sentinel is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:50 PM
  #611
KidLine93
Registered User
 
KidLine93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post
P. Sharp, R. Nugent-Hopkins, R. Getzlaf, C. Perry, J. Skinner, E. Kane, J. Eberle just to name few good old canadian boys participating in the last WHC. All these are first liners in their respectiive NHL teams. It does not mean that without Crosby you always have your Z team.
Without crosby, giroux, stamkos and toews we do. There goes our top 4 centre's....

KidLine93 is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:52 PM
  #612
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,108
vCash: 500
Well at least Yakupov has kept to his word, he has been cool all tournament.


Beleafer4 is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:55 PM
  #613
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I don't like that part of soc... I meant "futbol," either. But it's much better than giving an injury to a fellow player.

Basically, these are two extremes and both mar these two sports. However, I still view diving as a lighter crime, simply because you are not hurting a fellow athlete. Besides, I haven't heard of anybody in soccer or hockey bragging about their diving, but many Canadian players and fans are happy when they injure opposing players, saying "it's his own fault, should have kept his head up" or, in case of the Clarke-Kharlamov disgrace, "he did what he had to do for his team to win."

Comprende?
I just want to say, I am never happy when a player on the other team gets hurt. And, I would never condone a dirty hit to take out another player.

But if my guy hits your guy clean and your guy gets carried off the ice, I am not going to cry about it either, as it is the nature of the sport.

Do you watch football?

When your team sacks the other team's QB, are you saddened or disappointed? I ask this in all seriousness. What is the difference in hockey?

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 04:59 PM
  #614
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I don't like that part of soc... I meant "futbol," either. But it's much better than giving an injury to a fellow player.

Basically, these are two extremes and both mar these two sports. However, I still view diving as a lighter crime, simply because you are not hurting a fellow athlete. Besides, I haven't heard of anybody in soccer or hockey bragging about their diving, but many Canadian players and fans are happy when they injure opposing players, saying "it's his own fault, should have kept his head up" or, in case of the Clarke-Kharlamov disgrace, "he did what he had to do for his team to win."

Comprende?
The difference is that you can injure an opposing player legally.

Injury is the outcome, not the action.

You can never dive legally.

All nations are dirty sometimes. I don't see the big deal.

NyQuil is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 05:04 PM
  #615
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless
 
MrCraigAnderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,751
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I agreed, so I would like to answer.

While I know a hook is an illegal act on the ice, there are certain acts that are understandably "a part of the game" that take place in the heat of the moment, and some that are not. Some acts strike at the core of what should be considered the finest aspects of the game, and that is honour amongst men (or women).

Just like not all crimes are viewed with the same amount of disrespect (please don't make me name them), one cannot cover all illegal acts on the ice or off the ice with the same blanket, either. Some are more despicable than others.

Hopefully, a reasonable person can see the difference.
Some players hook, some run interference and some dive. All to gain a competitive advantage. Obstruction such as hooking and interference strike at the core of what should be considered one of the greatest aspects of the game, and that is the flow of the game.

I don't see a difference between interference or hooking and PED's

*these are not my views. I believe it's pretty irrational. Just like saying there is no difference in diving to win and taking PED's to win is irrational.

MrCraigAnderson is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 05:25 PM
  #616
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
Some players hook, some run interference and some dive. All to gain a competitive advantage. Obstruction such as hooking and interference strike at the core of what should be considered one of the greatest aspects of the game, and that is the flow of the game.

I don't see a difference between interference or hooking and PED's

*these are not my views. I believe it's pretty irrational. Just like saying there is no difference in diving to win and taking PED's to win is irrational.
You and I see the game differently. I see the honor of the sport as the greatest aspect of the game. This will skew our opinions one way or the other, I guess.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 05:33 PM
  #617
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
You and I see the game differently. I see the honor of the sport as the greatest aspect of the game. This will skew our opinions one way or the other, I guess.
And I see no honor whatsoever in intimidating the opposition by scare tactics and taking them out. People who can barely skate and can only hit have a distinct advantage over "soft and skilled" players then. Not the kind of hockey I would call honorable or even watchable.

Sentinel is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 05:35 PM
  #618
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
And I see no honor whatsoever in intimidating the opposition by scare tactics and taking them out. People who can barely skate and can only hit have a distinct advantage over "soft and skilled" players then. Not the kind of hockey I would call honorable or even watchable.
Do you watch football?

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 05:45 PM
  #619
wreckless
Registered User
 
wreckless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
And I see no honor whatsoever in intimidating the opposition by scare tactics and taking them out. People who can barely skate and can only hit have a distinct advantage over "soft and skilled" players then. Not the kind of hockey I would call honorable or even watchable.
lol at players on any world junior team being 'barely able to skate'.

hockey imo is a sport that requires SO MUCH in order to be good, and it makes me sick to the point of vomiting when i hear couch potatoes make claims like this.

wreckless is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 05:52 PM
  #620
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Do you watch football?
If you mean "soccer," then yes. If "American football," then no.

Quote:
hockey imo is a sport that requires SO MUCH in order to be good, and it makes me sick to the point of vomiting when i hear couch potatoes make claims like this.
I hope you keep paper towel nearby...

Sentinel is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 05:52 PM
  #621
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
lol at players on any world junior team being 'barely able to skate'.

hockey imo is a sport that requires SO MUCH in order to be good, and it makes me sick to the point of vomiting when i hear couch potatoes make claims like this.
This is the excuse non-Canadian fans use when our teams are crushing their teams in every aspect of the game. It's because we are villains and can't skate.

Sure. Those seven goals we scored were a result of dirty hits.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 05:53 PM
  #622
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
If you mean "soccer," then yes. If "American football," then no.


Okay, that explains a lot. thanks.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 05:57 PM
  #623
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are
 
Samzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 14,008
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I don't see a difference between diving to win a game, and taking PED's to win a game. Both are methods of cheating and are disgraceful acts.
Your world view is an interesting one, and very black and white.


Last edited by Samzilla: 12-29-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Samzilla is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 06:03 PM
  #624
canuck2010
Registered User
 
canuck2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I don't like that part of soc... I meant "futbol," either. But it's much better than giving an injury to a fellow player.

Basically, these are two extremes and both mar these two sports. However, I still view diving as a lighter crime, simply because you are not hurting a fellow athlete. Besides, I haven't heard of anybody in soccer or hockey bragging about their diving, but many Canadian players and fans are happy when they injure opposing players, saying "it's his own fault, should have kept his head up" or, in case of the Clarke-Kharlamov disgrace, "he did what he had to do for his team to win."

Comprende?
Nothing wrong with legal man on man hits even if a player is injured. I for one certainly don't wish another player hurt nor would I ever cheer or brag about injuring another player illegally. I personally don't know any other Canadians that feel that way either.

The first rule you're taught in hockey is keep your head or you will get hurt. Lipon crossed the line, no doubt about it but a hit you will see in just about any hockey game. He was tossed for the game plus one more. A lighter sentence than he would have received in the O.

Comprende?

canuck2010 is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 06:07 PM
  #625
canuck2010
Registered User
 
canuck2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
And I see no honor whatsoever in intimidating the opposition by scare tactics and taking them out. People who can barely skate and can only hit have a distinct advantage over "soft and skilled" players then. Not the kind of hockey I would call honorable or even watchable.
Of course you intimidate the opposition. If I have a chance to cream you I'm going to do it. Next time you won't be so willing to handle the puck. To the best of my ability I will do it within the rules.

canuck2010 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.