HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The thing I don't get is that all of us know Dylan's been out rehabbing his knee since the middle of summer. First game back when practically every other AHL player has had a full training camp and played a third of the season--it's like you're expecting he's going to be right up to speed and he's a rookie to boot. Sometimes I think you need to tone your expectations. And Gallant is a really serious ****ing AHL fighter/goon. Maybe not the biggest guy but he hits really hard and he can really take a punch.. Definitely in the category of a Shawn Thornton or Cam Janssen in that regard. He demolished Haley. He's demolished a lot of guys.

I have been defending McIklrath since the day he was drafted. Why cant i say once that he has room to improve? Whatever the reason may have been, he did not have a great game. Lets see how he improves goibg forward.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If that had been McIlrath's 3rd game back and not his first period, he would have killed the other guy.

To be clear - I wanted Tarasenko and I still think it was a mistake not to draft him. But McIlrath is clearly a scary MF.
the good thing for McIlrath is RD is weaker than LD at this point. Girardi, Sauer, Stralman, Bickel is the depth chart so McIlrath has a shot to make it if he shows rapid improvement. At this time Gilroy is the first call up though.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:17 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Man what are the Whale going to look like for the rest of the season if the lockout ends?

They will lose Kreider and possibly some combination of Newbury, Miller, Hvrivik, Gilroy, or McI?

Old
12-29-2012, 08:29 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Man what are the Whale going to look like for the rest of the season if the lockout ends?

They will lose Kreider and possibly some combination of Newbury, Miller, Hvrivik, Gilroy, or McI?
Lots of fringe NHLers still out there, a couple will be signed for depth. Plenty of cap space to do that... for this year. I would even think we try to get a veteran piece or two as a rental "at the deadline" to make a real push (if there is a season) for a Broadway parade. Ghidorah will be a helluva weapon for us on the PP.

Kreider and Gilroy (yes! serious) I would think are the likely candidates. I do think we will get another NHLer (fwd) in the frenzy when/if the season starts. One of Bickel/Eminger might be sent down instead (Eminger?) of Gilroy. Maybe Newbury gets a shot too. Maybe he is only an injury callup. Haley has not shown much on the Whale, but Glen likes to have a couple brawlers...
Miller and McIllraith will most likely get a chance too, but might not stick. Miller does not look ready, yet. Lacks the footspeed imo. Especially 1st two strides. Barbara Underhill would do him good. But he is definite NHL material!

Assuming Gabby is back -

Depending on who we play -

The likely lineup

Nash - Richards - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Hagelin - Boyle - Pyatt
Rupp - Halpern - Asham

or go top heavy

Nash - Richards - Gaborik
Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan
Kreider - Boyle - Pyatt
Rupp - Halpern - Asham

or defense first

Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Pyatt - Boyle - Callahan
Rupp - Halpern - Asham

Personally I would like to see -
  • Sign MDZ at 2 years at $2,5M
  • NYR buys out Wade Redden as a non cap effective “penalty-free” buyout as per new CBA
  • Tampa Bay also buys out Vinny L (they actually might! - believe it or not)
  • Vinny L then signs a one year deal in NYC at $6M (prorated) to win NOW with Torts & Brad
  • Petr Sykora signs a one year deal at $1,5M (prorated) with NYC
Leaves us with:

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Vincent LeCavalier ($6.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.875m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Petr Sykora ($1.500m)
Mike Rupp ($1.500m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m)
Spares - Arron Asham ($1.000m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.500m) / Steve Eminger or Matt Gilroy ($0.750m)
Stu Bickel ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)

BUYOUTS
Chris Drury ($1.667m)

LTIR
Michael Sauer ($1.250m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(without bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000
CAP PAYROLL: $68,658,334
BONUSES: $1,250,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,541,666
LTIR:$1,250,000

Leaves almost $3 M in cap space with Sauers LTIR included - a bit more prorated at deadline - to pick up maybe one more piece on Defense (right handed) at the deadline. Looks good to me. Who knows what happens at the feeding frenzy when/if the season starts?
And if the cap is at $64-65M next year (not $60M as NHL "wants") we can actually resign all our key RFAs and also keep the 3 headed dragon intact - generating more internal growth on the team down the line instead...

Last edited by BBKers: 12-29-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old
12-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post

this guy sucks at the NHL level when on the 4th line. maybe he needs to play 3rd line... he plays a top line on the Whale but 4th line as a Ranger... he always looks lost.. i hope Hrivik makes it someday but i think he is at least a year away...maybe he gets a game or two test like Callahan did he came here.. id love to see Thomas succeed. reminds me of lesser skilled Tyler Ennis.. hopefully he will be that good..I dont think Bourque will be anything more than a 4th line PK guy.. kinda in the mold of Nathan Gerbe. im excited for Miller McIlrath and those two swedish kids Lindberg and Fasth.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:05 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

McIlrath lost that fight. He got hit square three times by my count.

It happens.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:59 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I have been defending McIklrath since the day he was drafted. Why cant i say once that he has room to improve? Whatever the reason may have been, he did not have a great game. Lets see how he improves goibg forward.
Don't think anyone is questioning his need to improve--just that critiquing him after just one game--and after being out with a very serious injury for several months--is a bit much. Better to give him at least a couple weeks.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:17 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

McIlrath suspended for 2 games for the elbowing penalty showed in that video.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Don't think anyone is questioning his need to improve--just that critiquing him after just one game--and after being out with a very serious injury for several months--is a bit much. Better to give him at least a couple weeks.
I was live bloging as i watched the game, i wasnt giving a scouting report.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
AHL announces suspensions
December 29, 2012

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League today announced that Bridgeport Sound Tigers left wing Brett Gallant has been suspended for three (3) games as a consequence of leaving the players’ bench on a legal line change for the purpose of starting an altercation in a game at Connecticut on Dec. 27.

Gallant will miss Bridgeport’s games tonight (Dec. 29) vs. Manchester, Monday (Dec. 31) at Adirondack and Friday (Jan. 4) at Springfield.

The American Hockey League today announced that Connecticut Whale defenseman Dylan McIlrath has been suspended for two (2) games as a consequence of an elbowing incident in a game vs. Bridgeport on Dec. 27.

McIlrath will miss Connecticut’s games tonight (Dec. 29) at Springfield and Monday (Dec. 31) at Portland.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Osminator

12/28/2012 Jyri Niemi (D) Connecticut DEL Reassigned by N.Y. Rangers (NHL) to Greenville (ECHL)
12/28/2012 Steven Delisle (D) Connecticut DEL Reassigned by N.Y. Rangers (NHL) to Greenville (ECHL)

Guess Delisle awful two games vs. Bridgeport sealed his deal. Good to see Niemi skating and ready for game action!

Old
12-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Osminator

Just found an interesting piece of information on the ECHL website:

"Teams may dress a maximum of eighteen (18) players for each regular season and playoff game, of which two (2) must be goaltenders. No team can play with only one designated goaltender on the lineup card."

So 16 skaters and 2 goalies? Wow, talking about getting a lot of minutes! Essentially that's 3 lines + 1 spare player.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Whale lead 2-0 Chad Kolarik 2 goals one shorthanded.

Besides injuries what has held him back from being an NHL regular?? I hope he doesnt become a stiff like Newbury...

Old
12-29-2012, 07:15 PM
E-Train

Can't believe they're up 4-0 on Springfield. Thomas with a goal and assist already.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Osminator

Who are these players wearing the Whale jerseys tonight, and what did they do to the Whale players?????????? LOL... Great effort all night in all three zones! Wow! Up 4-0 after 2 periods, hopefully a strong last 20 minutes!

1. CT Kolarik, (11) (Thomas, Gilroy), 12:52 (PP)
1. CT Kolarik, (12) (Newbury), 19:16 (SH)
2. CT Pyett, (3) (Bourque, Tessier), 6:47
2. CT Thomas, (8) (Grant, Collins), 8:39

Old
12-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Osminator

Whale win 4-2... 3rd period was all Springfield, refs were huge homers...

1. CT Kolarik, (11) (Thomas, Gilroy), 12:52 (PP)
1. CT Kolarik, (12) (Newbury), 19:16 (SH)
2. CT Pyett, (3) (Bourque, Tessier), 6:47
2. CT Thomas, (8) (Grant, Collins), 8:39
3. SPR Craig, (7) (Drazenovic, Johansen), 6:06 (PP)
3. SPR Russell, (2) (Audy-Marchessault, Ruth), 12:51

1 - SPR Cullity, 12:47 - Holding, 2 min (PP)
1 - CT Vernace, 14:48 - Interference, 2 min (PP)
1 - CT Parlett, 18:41 - Holding, 2 min (PP)
2 - CT Collins, 0:06 - Delay of game, 2 min (PP)
2 - CT Klassen, 9:00 - Holding, 2 min (PP)
3 - CT Tessier, 2:32 - Hooking, 2 min (PP)
3 - CT Kreider, 4:55 - Interference, 2 min (PP)
3 - CT Newbury, 5:07 - Slashing, 2 min (PP)
3 - CT Newbury, 14:01 - High-sticking, 2 min (PP)

Old
12-29-2012, 09:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Whale lead 2-0 Chad Kolarik 2 goals one shorthanded.

Besides injuries what has held him back from being an NHL regular?? I hope he doesnt become a stiff like Newbury...
I think he would have been last year especially with the injuries they had. I really think the Rangers are higher on him then they let on.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
...Erixon didn't have a point against us?

Old
12-29-2012, 11:42 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If that had been McIlrath's 3rd game back and not his first period, he would have killed the other guy.

To be clear - I wanted Tarasenko and I still think it was a mistake not to draft him. But McIlrath is clearly a scary MF.
Who ****ing cares about Tarasenko?

Old
12-30-2012, 06:04 AM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
...Erixon didn't have a point against us?
Had to lol really hard reading this hahahaha, 0 pts he had lol

Old
12-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Vitto79

I imagine the rangers would only bring into a one wk camp guys who have a legit shot at making the team, they gave 12 f assuming Kreisler makes it and after that I see Haley as the spare and kolarik first call up then Newburyport. On d Gilroy a first call up. Miller and mcilrath maybe Thomas are future rangers more for next yr and beyond

Old
12-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I imagine the rangers would only bring into a one wk camp guys who have a legit shot at making the team, they gave 12 f assuming Kreisler makes it and after that I see Haley as the spare and kolarik first call up then Newburyport. On d Gilroy a first call up. Miller and mcilrath maybe Thomas are future rangers more for next yr and beyond
id rather call up Miller or Jean over Newbury. Newbury isnt that good. Newbury has no NHL future here. let Miller Jean Thomas etc get some games at the NHL level. Callahan played a few games here and there before he became a full time player. let them get some ice time... let the players who have a future at the NHL level get ice time. why give ice time to some journeyman AHL player

Old
12-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
id rather call up Miller or Jean over Newbury. Newbury isnt that good. Newbury has no NHL future here. let Miller Jean Thomas etc get some games at the NHL level. Callahan played a few games here and there before he became a full time player. let them get some ice time... let the players who have a future at the NHL level get ice time. why give ice time to some journeyman AHL player
dang spell check. I agree rather see Miller , Jean, Thomas, or even Hrvik over Newbury but if they need a 4th line grinder for some reason Torts likes Newbury. No way for a 3rd line role. Funny how he scores a ton in the AHL but cant do that in the NHL. Guess it happens with alot of guys though.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Miz

I fail to see how Newbury gets as much ice time as he does in hartford. The guy is a complete idiot. Yes he's skilled, but he takes penalties at the most inopportune times, pisses and moans about it, and skates around like his ish dont stink. I cant stand the guy, i hope he never sniffs New York.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
I fail to see how Newbury gets as much ice time as he does in hartford. The guy is a complete idiot. Yes he's skilled, but he takes penalties at the most inopportune times, pisses and moans about it, and skates around like his ish dont stink. I cant stand the guy, i hope he never sniffs New York.

Have you watched Whale games or at least looked at player profiles? He is easily the best power forward on the team. He is usually among the team's top players. He is on the first line because most nights he is one of the top 3 Whale forwards.

Closed Thread