HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 30 • Canada 2, United States 1

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Canada in regulation 163 60.59%
Canada in OT/shootout 31 11.52%
U.S. in regulation 64 23.79%
U.S. in OT/shootout 11 4.09%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 08:14 PM
488fitter

vCash: 210
When I see canadian fans predict a loss to the Americans...

It's like predicting some dude is gonna kick your brother's ass in a fight. You always say your bro is gonna kill it even if you think he won't. Pride and faith y'all.

Subban is a show stopper in this game...Canada's skill out shines the Americans. 4-1 CAN. Nuge showcases why he's the best player in the tourney.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Jerkini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
I have no faith in our team defense and goaltending. USA wins 5-2.
I've no faith in the way the coach is handling the defence and goaltending. I think Canada has the on-ice personnel to get it done IMO.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:20 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I'm hoping for a good game, but this post makes me want to see Canada get embarrassed 10-0 before the end of the first period.
Now now that's a bit excessive, 10-0 is a lot in the first period.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
It's like predicting some dude is gonna kick your brother's ass in a fight. You always say your bro is gonna kill it even if you think he won't.
So tell the truth if you think the Canadians will win and lie if you don't?

Old
12-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Mestaruus

Canada by 2 goal margin. I had USA over Canada before the tournament, but have to change that.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:27 PM
TieClark

Quote:

It's like predicting some dude is gonna kick your brother's ass in a fight. You always say your bro is gonna kill it even if you think he won't. Pride and faith y'all.

Subban is a show stopper in this game...Canada's skill out shines the Americans. 4-1 CAN. Nuge showcases why he's the best player in the tourney.
lol you don't have to think your team is going to win every game to be a fan. You have to support them every game, but you can think they'll lose too. Same with your brother in a fight... you can think he's going to get his ass kicked, you just have to have his back regardless

Old
12-29-2012, 08:27 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 50
4-2 Canada. Ouellet has a big game once again. Subban plays an good but not great game.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:31 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

I am predicting either...

1) Subban has the game of his life and Canada smokes em;
2) The U.S. wins a close high scoring game.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:33 PM
bruinsfan46

Canada has to get off to a better start. Start fast and maintain it, can't afford to go into sustained lulls of subpar play against tough opponents.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Nash, I almost always agree with your posts, but this time I'm going the other way. Canada/USA is more than a border war, it has turned into World War 3 over the past decade. If you don't belive me, all you have to do is watch either of the following.

There are a bunch more where that came from. Jonathan Toews shootout ring a bell?
Great clips and good points, but a true rival is just as likely to beat you as you are to beat them on any given night. At this level and in a one game elimination, anyone can win or lose. The historical win loss record supports me on this.

Canada has faced off against Russia more time in important games than USA. I'm talking U20 here.

I still love the match up though and after Russia vs Canada, Swedes and Americans are next on my list.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:38 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^

Most of the Americans I know, including the posters here, are good/decent people. Unfortunatrely, you never hear about those people.
Only the jerks.

Think twice and post once, guys. God knows, I am guilty of failing at that rule, but let's try. And, let's stick to hockey.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Kershaw

Galchenyuk 5 pts, USA wins 7-4.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

If Subban plays:
6-4 Canada. Subban goes something like 24/28, but has a solid game/is the reason we win.

If Binnington plays:
5-2 Canada. Binnington is good, but isn't the x factor.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:54 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

i think the problem is that we've been so traumatized by our goalies the last few years that it takes little to send us into crisis mode...and the fact that gibson gave up fewer goals against russia than subban did against either germany or slovakia has only worsened people's frame of mind right now

really it's a defense mechanism - psychological in nature...if we prepare for disaster in advance we'll be better able to deal with it as it happens...particularly at 4:30 am.

if nothing else, i predict the GDT will be highly entertaining.

Old
DatsyukOwns
Hero

This is the game where the Hopkins line will need to have a huge game and the Strome line.

Old
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Such a odd feeling... Waiting until 4:30 a.m.

I will hit the sheets at 11 pm. Toss and turn until 3 a.m. Fall asleep - only to have my alarm go off, wake up the house and give me a heart attack at 4 a.m. No more WJR outside of North America. I called it! Now it's a rule.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Galchenyuk 5 pts, USA wins 7-4.
As a Habs fan, I would love that.
As a Canadian fan, I'm not laughing.

Therefore, Galchenyuk with 5 points in a 6-5 loss to Canada.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
huh? Every non-American despises the United States, but especially in Russia. I would expect the non-Canadian crowd to be VERY pro-Canada.
I can't call this post for what it is because ill get in trouble for negative adjectives but in Russia two themes dominant.

One they don't care that much about junior hockey and two they don't like Canadian hockey teams above anybody. I'd say that the chances of large numbers of Russians coming out to cheer on the Canadian U20 team is near zero.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:58 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPoni23 View Post
Garrett Sparks tweeted "Get to participate in the greatest rivalry in all of hockey (in my personal opinion) tomorrow. The boys will be up for this one"

Does that mean he's playing? Anybody know?
No, he's not. I think he's their 3rd goalie. No way Gibson doesn't start this one.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:00 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
No, he's not. I think he's their 3rd goalie. No way Gibson doesn't start this one.
They could potentially dress him as the backup... I just don't understand why they would when he was in the press box for the first 2.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Familiarity and proximity make this more of a rivalry than what it should be. The fact that so many people think it is as big or equal to Canada vs Russia tells you it is not results based. A 9-2 winning record over the past 10 years is all you have to know. It has grown largely due to the nature of those 2 losses. Most Canadians look at those 2 as gold medal losses that Canada let get away and it hurts their fragile hockey superiority ego far more than losing to Russia, a more worthy traditional rival, does. USA has done well to earn its spot among the top 7 nations, but it isn't close to usurping Russia as our primary rival.

Right now it is primarily a border rivalry, much like Sweden vs Finland. Every once in a while Finland wins and Sweden gets really pissed off.
It's not about win/loss record. For the players it's the familiarity factor. For the American fans its about the disrespect a vocal minority of Canadian show our teams across all levels.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:07 PM
EvoLu7ioN

I've watched both games for both teams, as well as several camp scrimmages etc. Here are some thoughts about the upcoming tilt:

Goaltending:
Gibson is a beast capable of stealing the game if the US defence is able to eliminate rebound chances and unstoppable shots from in close. I'm still not convinced his hip is 100% though, so for me thats definitely a concern. He's a rock mentally and so damn consistent at rising to the big moment, so assuming his hip is indeed near 100% I expect US to receive world class goaltending.

Subban is also capable of stealing a game, but he's not as mentally strong as Gibson. He's equally gifted, but more susceptible to bad goals and melting after a bad goal at this stage in his career. I think he will have a strong game given the lack ifs US high end firepower, but there's always the risk he lets in a bad goal or two. He's capable of outplaying Gibson, but he likely will not. If I am Spott I'd have him on a short leash, 2 questionable goals and Binnington gets the nod.

Advantage USA.

Defence:

IMO both teams defensive squads have underachieved thus far, these are the #1 and #2 squads in the tourney. Canada had the advantage on paper, but the US also has an extremely mobile core with a stud in Jones. I think Canada's d core is just to overwhelming for the US to beat though, far too mobile. The US offence is built around speed, but Canada's defence will be up to the challenge as all their dmen are excellent skaters. Canada is an untapped beast in Hamilton, Seth Jones had a tough outing against Russia. Both will bounce back, but Hamilton is further along in his development and will have a bigger impact on the game. Really likely Reilly, Jones, and Trouba for the US, but after that the pedigree drops. For Canada you have 6 high end guys, and depth is key.

Advantage Canada

Offense:
Canada has superior offensive firepower and it's not even close. Huberdeau and specifically RNH are on other level compared to any other forwards in this tournament. After that you've got three lines that with a lot of size and skill that can score. The US on the other hand has a really strong player in Galchenyuk, and a wildcard in Gaudreau, but after that there's not a lot of high end offensive talent. I just don't see how the lack of offensive firepower up front for the US can be fixed tbh...

Advantage Canada, big time.

Overall:

If US wants to have a chance in this game Gibson will have to stand on his head, Galchenyuk and Gaudreau will have to engage beast mode, and the US defence will need to not only contain the two best forwards in the tournement but also drive the offence and create scoring chances. I just think Canada is too deep at forward and D though, too much talent to be contained, so as long as Subban plays OK this one should be dictated by Canada.

Prediction: Canada wins 4-2

Old
12-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:

Wooo Canada!! We're going to crush everyone in our way!! No one can stop us!! Everyone sucks but us!! Woo Canada #1!! We could play 5 on 4 all game and we'd win anyway!!

Am I doing this right?

Old
12-29-2012, 09:11 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Canada. MacKinnon with 2G 1A.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Hurt

If Subban gets blown out, does Spott roll with Binnington the next game against Russia?